PDA

View Full Version : Anyone read The Star Child by Oscar Wilde?

the_GoDdEsS
12-26-2005, 03:52 AM
I've been reading a lot of national fairy tales recently and then some more works by Oscar Wilde and just now the ending of The Star Child (http://www.eastoftheweb.com/short-stories/UBooks/StaChi.shtml) shocked me. It was happy at first and then all of a sudden kinda tragic. Does it continue in another story or fairy tale? Or is it the final cut?

Yet ruled he not long, so great had been his suffering, and so bitter the fire of his testing, for after the space of three years he died. And he who came after him ruled evilly.

It's almost cruel. Although in a way good too, it does give you a lesson. But it's not what you'd expect.

HornyPope
12-26-2005, 03:58 AM
Oh fuck yes. It's been one of my fave books as a child. That line in fact had shocked me so much back then.

HornyPope
12-26-2005, 04:25 AM
You know what's amazing? That story made me weep so much as a child I haven't dared read it since. It has this priviledged status that you're afraid to break by reading it again in your present mind. Iincidently, the title is litteraly translated to Child Star (malchik zvezda) in Russian. Is it also so in Slovak?

A line I read just a line this week in the Picture of Dorian Gray that reminded me of the Star Child story.

"Whenever a man does throughly stupid things, it is always from the noblest motives".
Said by Lord Henry in his conversation with Basil.

Now in the Star Child story, remember when he gave away the gems to the rabbit (was it a rabbit? i dont remember)? Yeah this one example surfaced in my memory right away. Amazing, no?

the_GoDdEsS
12-26-2005, 05:13 AM
Unfortunately I've never read it in Slovak so I can't tell you what the translation is as I haven't come across the book in Slovak either.

Yeah, that line seems fitting. And I think it was a hare.

I plan to re-read Dorian at a point. I read Lady Windermere's Fan today. Kinda annoying the story did not resolve itself completely. But maybe that's what I like about Wilde. That he is not always predictable and ends his stories the way he wants to, despite of what you'd want or expect as a reader.

Izie
12-26-2005, 12:19 PM
Ah, Oscar Wilde's stories are Iza's favourite "fairytales". I really don't think you can call it a fairytale though, out of so many reasons... I preffered the birthday of the Infanta though, it's absolutely amazing how those children are cruel and they don't see anything wrong with it. It's amazing how the dwarf doesn't understand it and believes he's perfectly normal until other people show him he's not. It's amazing how much people care about other's oppinions.

...are we all reading the same things at the same time, wtf?

For amusement purposes: The importance of being Earnest of The ideal husband. And then watch it with Rupert Everett and fall in love. <33

the_GoDdEsS
12-26-2005, 12:25 PM
Haha, I've read Earnest a few years ago. It was silly.

Izie
12-26-2005, 12:35 PM
That's the point ;)

HornyPope
12-26-2005, 01:13 PM
Ooooooo. Oh yeah. The Birthday of the Infanta. I remember it now. With that cruel princess who broke his heart. Man that was a good story.

/nostalgic

Didn't read Earnest or Ideal Husband yet though.

wheelchairman
12-26-2005, 01:19 PM
I read Ernest, I thought it was better than the actual play. But I only saw a video performance of it.

DirtyMagical
12-26-2005, 01:34 PM
Oscar Wilde <33