PDA

View Full Version : Going to London...

Chimera512
12-27-2005, 11:37 AM
so if i'm going to London in a couple days and I'm looking for awesome shit do to what would you suggest for myself and my family to do while i'm there? We're palnning on doing some tourist things since neither my sister or i have ever been to London. (ie, we have tickets to see the Tower of London) We're thinking of seeing a play also, any suggestions? In additon, i've heard taht the city is kind of shut down because of the time of year it is and that there's not much going on for new year's. Anyone who lives in / around London could confirm or deny the deadness of the city would be appreciated. thanks.

Punky Dudess
12-27-2005, 11:41 AM
Harrods attracts so many tourists. Go there if you have the cash.
The london eye is okay, i guess. Natural history museum...loads of stuff.

the_offsprings_monkey
12-27-2005, 12:05 PM
Just avoid the bombs, muggers, druggies, hookers, terrorist, gangstas and so on.

Punky Dudess
12-27-2005, 12:08 PM
I doubt terrorists would be stupid enough to bomb London again...maybe somewhere like BAirmingham or Manchester...or even Liverpool.

not much going on for new year??? hell no! there's ALWAYS something massive happening in London for the New Year. Thousands of pounds in fireworks mostly.

the_offsprings_monkey
12-27-2005, 12:31 PM
Bristol rules for new year, there's not just the amazing house parties but the clubs are absolutely fucking amazing, oh and they put on some outdoor shit aswell.

BATWT
12-27-2005, 12:37 PM
yeah, there is no way London will be dead over the new year - it'll be busier than ever. Either way, London's a great place if you want a busy-as-fuck capital city and have lots of cash

It's got nothing on Birmingham though, if you ask me.

the_offsprings_monkey
12-27-2005, 01:02 PM
yeah, there is no way London will be dead over the new year - it'll be busier than ever. Either way, London's a great place if you want a busy-as-fuck capital city and have lots of cash

It's got nothing on Birmingham though, if you ask me.
Yea but everyone thinks their home city rules, like I think Bristol is the dogs nuts for new year just like you think Birmingham is good.

Lars
12-27-2005, 01:50 PM
Just avoid the bombs, muggers, druggies, hookers, terrorist, gangstas and so on.
I thought the muggers and druggies existed in bristol. I recall a a manager that i worked with who managed a shop in Bristol, they had security guards because of the druggies.

only shut down transportwise just happened. I doubt they're going to go ahead with the strike on new years eve/day for london transport. Otherwise there are no real problems.

bombs? hah, I think it's only people who don't go in/through London regularily that might be scared of them. I honestly didn't think of it about 1 week after I got on a tube, until I the thought of 'this seems rather empty for this time' came into my head. Was annoying though, couldn't catch Jonah opening for Funeral at the Astoria cause of tube lines not running.

the_offsprings_monkey
12-27-2005, 01:56 PM
I thought the muggers and druggies existed in bristol. I recall a a manager that i worked with who managed a shop in Bristol, they had security guards because of the druggies.
Hehe we have druggies and LOADS of muggers, hell the muggers round here are crazy, instead of a little knife they carry fucking bread knifes and some of the drug dealers have guns. (the st pauls dealers)

Endymion
12-27-2005, 01:57 PM
i dunno about 'druggies' but they do have some emo cutters.

the_offsprings_monkey
12-27-2005, 01:58 PM
i dunno about 'druggies' but they do have some emo cutters.
Actually there isn't many Emo cutters in fair Bristol, mostly just chavs.

Iddy
12-27-2005, 05:22 PM
London's a great place to be no matter what the time of year, just stay out of the suburbs. I don't know about touristy things to do, but theres loads of museums, galleries and the like. Take the bus or walk, rather than take the tube, not because of potential bombs (not going to happen again for a while), but because you don't see the city that way.

I haven't been on the eye, not one for heights, but the tower of london is cool. I love the Tate Modern (strange big building opposite St.Pauls catherdral). Museum district is Kensington, the Natural History Museum is worth a visit. If you like Archeology/Anthropology the British Museum is also rather good. And these are all free.

Covent Garden has some nice (but rather pricey) places to eat. You may be better off eating around Picadilly Circus. If you want to catch a show, Lecister Square has outlets that offer discounted tickets, except not for Phantom as its the most popular.

Have fun, I am unfortunately also staying in London for New Year (i just want to be home, nothing wrong with London itself).

wheelchairman
12-28-2005, 04:07 AM
Go to Camden, the alternative district. I love it. So much. Shopping there is awesome.

(edit: lolz, forgot to sign, way to make Per look gay)

- Tizz

Lars
12-28-2005, 07:06 AM
Camden feels more commercial than it used to though. Which kind of sucks.

Go to the flag shop (some shop with a bunch of flags outside/above it that sells clothing, don't know the name) where they'll try and make you buy something before you leave. haha. If you're lucky enough you can catch the record fair they've got at the Electric ballroom once a month. Some decent music stores around as well that aren't over priced.

notoriousdoc
12-28-2005, 07:45 AM
Bath is the best place in all of England. Go there instead

Endymion
12-28-2005, 10:42 AM
(edit: lolz, forgot to sign, way to make Per look gay)
you two should use different browsers (one opera, one firefox. or seamonkey. or (god forbid) ie) and then use your own accounts. my mind kinda caves in every time i read one of per's homo posts just to find that it ends with "-Tizz"

Punky Dudess
12-28-2005, 10:58 AM
Bath is the best place in all of England. Go there instead

You moron. Bath is the shittest place you can go! Except Bradford...*shudders* no. London is the place to be at.

BATWT
12-28-2005, 11:02 AM
I see your Bradford and raise you Hatfield

Punky Dudess
12-28-2005, 11:11 AM
What the fuck? is that supposed to make sense?

BATWT
12-28-2005, 11:15 AM
never played poker then i take it:

someone said bath was the worst, you bettered that by saying that bradford was the worst, and i bettered you by rightfully saying Hatfield is the worst of the bunch. I saw (matched) Bradford, and raised (went one better) by saying Hatfield.

Punky Dudess
12-28-2005, 11:22 AM
Not using english cities, no.

sKratch
12-28-2005, 11:23 AM
I went to London ages ago. I think I was about 12. I think we went to Harrods, and I remember some extremely large toy store which was heaven at the time. My aunt's pretty freaking cool and got us tickets to the revival of Oliver! so we went to see that. She used to live in Middlesex but moved a little further from the city now.

Punky Dudess
12-28-2005, 11:32 AM
^Harrods is the biggest, bestest, most surreal thing for a child. Especially the chocolate/sweet section.

BATWT
12-28-2005, 11:35 AM
has anyone ever stopped for a sandwich in Harrods? I spent 15 on a turkey sandwich, with another 3 on a glass of coke. 18 for a snack!
Saying that, it was the best turkey sandwich i had ever had; it was all hand prepared in front of me with home mad potato salad. Still, 18

Punky Dudess
12-28-2005, 11:37 AM
I spent 6 on a chocolate bar because of a sudden snack attack. Best six pounds spent in a long time. It tasted heavenly.

BATWT
12-28-2005, 11:39 AM
I'm still undecided if it was a truly great sandwich, or that's just what I'm telling myself as it cost so much

Punky Dudess
12-28-2005, 11:47 AM
Haha, that's typical. I didn't dare look at the Chanel counter because i was scared of the prices. The rates are still pretty steep even in Debenhams!

BATWT
12-30-2005, 09:58 AM
Isn't Debenhams expensive anyway?

notoriousdoc
12-30-2005, 10:21 AM
You moron. Bath is the shittest place you can go! Except Bradford...*shudders* no. London is the place to be at.
Just... :eek:

Punky Dudess
12-30-2005, 12:01 PM
BATWT: yeah, i admit, it is fairly expensive, but i have no doubt Harrods would get away with almost tripling the price of Chanel No. 5 simply because it's a massive London attraction. I could live there....

Dan: Well... :o it is.

notoriousdoc
12-30-2005, 01:31 PM
Dan: Well... :o it is.
GOOD SWEET HOLY JESUSESSSEES!!!!!!!!!!! You are so wrong