PDA

View Full Version : does anybody here HATE flying?

Sunny
12-27-2005, 03:15 PM
hi. i do. i despise flying with every fiber of my being. flying is what's making my winter vacation suck, seeing as the itinerary - as of now - looks like this:

nyc - austin - cincinnati - nyc - paris - krakow - vienna - london - nyc - dallas - austin - nyc.

started on dec 22nd. ends on january 22nd. hi. this sucks.

anybody else hate airplanes, airports, luggage, security checks, layovers, jetlags and all that bullshit?

;[

HornyPope
12-27-2005, 03:15 PM
Nope, I like it.

Human
12-27-2005, 03:16 PM
For some odd reason I have a strange love for it all.

Sunny
12-27-2005, 03:17 PM
you people are weirdos. or you just don't do it enough. :/

SkunkIt
12-27-2005, 03:18 PM
I love it, but the long flights get boring. I wanna try hang gliding sometime.

0r4ng3
12-27-2005, 03:22 PM
Yes, I enjoy flying. However, I'd much rather have super strength, or the ability to create fire.

Wait, what do you mean by "flying"?

nieh
12-27-2005, 03:24 PM
I've never really had a problem with flying. Every now and then I'll get nervous when we're in the air if my brain starts thinking too much, but ordinarily I can just shut it off and listen to my cd player or something.

Nirushika6789
it doesn't bother me...actually when I'm in the plane I like it

Really all the moving around etc is kind of exciting IMO :p

Sunny
ya know if flying was something i did 2-3 times a year, i'd be a happy thing. but when it becomes a bi-weekly activity, it is, um, difficult to handle.

fdslgkldfg gag. *crys*

nieh
12-27-2005, 03:29 PM
Wow. I've been on a plane probably something like 6 times in my life. That probably would suck going that often, though I can't imagine it would be any worse than any other sort of travel.

SkunkIt
12-27-2005, 03:30 PM
You should try trains, they don't lose your luggage, because you can hold on to it, but I'm not sure if that's true everywhere.

nieh
12-27-2005, 03:31 PM
I don't think there are that many trains that go from NYC to Paris.

SkunkIt
12-27-2005, 03:32 PM
ferries work too, but they're slow.

Mentally_Challenged
12-27-2005, 03:32 PM
I love flying. Hate airports and luggage though.

I have an immense fear of getting my luggage lost...

HornyPope
12-27-2005, 03:33 PM
Wasn't there a better flight from Krakow to NYC than through Vienna and London? Perhaps you could have hitched a ride to Warsaw, and took a flight from there, Mags.

Lars
12-27-2005, 03:37 PM
Trains are too slow at times, or you have to make annoying connections. I'm going up to Scotland next month. Taking a flight as the train connections would take at least 8-10 hours, flight less than 2 hours.

I could see the possible annoyance of going on so many different flights. But otherwise I've no problems at all. I'm annoyed at my brother for moving to such a stupid place as Salt Lake though, just because there are no direct flights. But it does give the option of choosing my stop over and possibly staying there for a few days.

Good luck with your luggage. I've only ever had one problem with mine. It went to Hawaii apparently whilst I went La - nyc - air - nyc (engine repair) - Jeddah - lost luggage.... that was a fun 24 hours.

Sunny
12-27-2005, 03:46 PM
Wasn't there a better flight from Krakow to NYC than through Vienna and London? Perhaps you could have hitched a ride to Warsaw, and took a flight from there, Mags.

yah, there was. but this one was only $500.. and it came out to be free because of my accumulated travel miles. and i'm cheap. ;z

HornyPope
12-27-2005, 03:57 PM
Yeah sounds good. I'm not a stranger to flying fucked up schedules to save up a buck or two... or five hundred. Last time I came from Braunschweig to Frankfurt airport (6 hour train ride, from 5 to 11 o'clock with the plane departing at 11:40) and then flew out to Toronto whence I took a bus to Montreal. Why? It was some last-minute special for 200euros (one way). I took it. Hey, makes a travel that much more interesting.

... and all the previous times I flew to Paris, and then took a train.

the_offsprings_monkey
12-27-2005, 04:03 PM
Yes, I enjoy flying. However, I'd much rather have super strength, or the ability to create fire.

Wait, what do you mean by "flying"?
Does anybody else appreciate the quality of this post?

Camilamazed
12-27-2005, 04:06 PM
I have never been on a plane before =o/

original_prankster
12-27-2005, 07:23 PM
Well, in March, when I have to move to the UK, I have to go on an airplane (duh) and I'm not looking forward to it. I know that you're safer in an airplane than you are on your own couch, but being so far up in the air kinda freaks me out.

the_offsprings_monkey
12-27-2005, 08:02 PM
I've never been on an aeroplane before, but if I did go I would hope it had a tv and some drinks or somethink.

T-6005
12-27-2005, 08:19 PM
I agree with Magdalena. I hate flying with a passion. An absolute passion.

I've had to do it way too many times to keep track of, but I find that the worst, beyond doubt, are local flights in southeast asian countries or the extremely turbulent flights that seem to crop up when we have to go over the Himalayas. I really, really hate both of those, the latter because it's extremely turbulent and unpleasant, and the former for the same reason, plus the knowledge that I actually could die. Not fun.

But yeah, I keep myself heavily medicated during flights. Still, it leads to some bad things. On my last flight, from Heathrow to KL, I accidentally knocked my glasses off of where I'd hung them, and then stepped on them in my sleep. I've only just gotten new ones.

Anyways - I hate flying.

Rancid_Guyxxx
12-27-2005, 08:25 PM
I've never actually been on a plane. In fact my family has never been on a vacation let alone out of the province together. Just from the looks of it though flying doesn't sound that appealing to me.

JohnnyNemesis
12-27-2005, 08:30 PM
I've never been on a plane. Too expensive. It sounds horribly frustrating though.

pretty fly 88
12-27-2005, 09:12 PM
ya know if flying was something i did 2-3 times a year, i'd be a happy thing. but when it becomes a bi-weekly activity, it is, um, difficult to handle.

fdslgkldfg gag. *crys*
Wow! If you have to fly that often it would suck. I've flown about 5 or 6 times in my life. The only thing I really hate about it is sometimes it's really painful for your ears, because of the air pressure. Sometimes when you get off the plane, it takes hours for the pressure to equalize, and those hours just suck. But sometimes I don't have a problem with it, which makes it even more difficult when I do, because you never know when it will be a problem and when you'll be fine.

Betty
12-27-2005, 11:16 PM
I've never flown on a long flight. Only little short ones. But I generally enjoy it. I still enjoy watching out the window. And I still enjoy the take off and landing, and sometimes even the turbulence. It's like a rollercoaster.

The airport and all the comes with it... not so much. Last time I was there, everybody, staff and patrons alike, were quite rude. Every line I was in, somebody managed to butt in front without a second thought. Every person that helped me was either rude or screwed something up.

Nicole
12-28-2005, 01:00 AM
I don't find flying too bad but I've never flown internationally, I don't even own a passport. I can imagine how much it would suck to have strict security checks, weight restrictions, hours of flying, connections etc. I'm not the most patient person in certain situations.

Have fun :)

arak0r
12-28-2005, 01:09 AM
my entire family hates flying, besides maybe my dad, but eventually it led our yearly trips to florida and disney being driven down, instead of flying. more fun, really :|

Vera
12-28-2005, 01:16 AM
I don't fly much but I can't say I love it. Last time I made the mistake of eating some creamy salad crap on the plane and felt like puking the rest of the flight. It was also cold in the plane.

The flight was cheap, though, so I suppose it was God's will that I suffer while saving money.

wheelchairman
12-28-2005, 02:42 AM
All my life we had to visit my grandparents in Denmark, (every 2 years was as much as we could afford), but that's a 9 hour flight with lots of travelling two and from the airports, with layovers, delays and that extra frustrating American Customs system, which is even difficult for American citizens.

I hate flying so much. I spent an extra 12 hours, and 10 dollars to take a train to Amsterdam. (but lolz I got to make out with Vlad)

Lars
12-28-2005, 02:50 AM
I've had to do it way too many times to keep track of, but I find that the worst, beyond doubt, are local flights in southeast asian countries or the extremely turbulent flights that seem to crop up when we have to go over the Himalayas. I really, really hate both of those, the latter because it's extremely turbulent and unpleasant, and the former for the same reason, plus the knowledge that I actually could die. Not fun.
I love this paragraph. It's entertaining yet very true.

I could have gotten a job repairing nav units for those old planes they may use there and in Africa. But it's really boring.

The only thing I really hate about it is sometimes it's really painful for your ears, because of the air pressure. Sometimes when you get off the plane, it takes hours for the pressure to equalize, and those hours just suck. But sometimes I don't have a problem with it, which makes it even more difficult when I do, because you never know when it will be a problem and when you'll be fine.
My ear just adjust as we go up and down. It's great, they didn't used to do that.

All my life we had to visit my grandparents in Denmark, (every 2 years was as much as we could afford), but that's a 9 hour flight with lots of travelling two and from the airports, with layovers, delays and that extra frustrating American Customs system, which is even difficult for American citizens.
hahaha, oh the fun I had. Went to my brothers wedding last year and my parents hadn't been in the US for a few years. Queue Green card problems and 3 hours of waiting for them... The guy at the counter was quite amusing, talking to my parents as if they were idiots. Though not so amusing is when your flight leaves 5 hours late because they've got shit planes and need to get a replacement. go virgin.

kami_mathieu
12-28-2005, 03:04 AM
I realy enjoy flying, and I even like airplane food. the only thing that bothers my about a flight is the landing, I get a bit nervous there.

wheelchairman
12-28-2005, 03:05 AM
I hate it too, especially taking off. I always feel sick. I started using those anti-plane-sickness pills though, and they really seem to help. I've never been on a long flight though, just London, Copenhagen and Turkey twice, Turkey being the longest flight, taking about 2.5 hours. London & Copenhagen are basicly landing right after taking off. I'm glad I don't have the leg-space trouble too.

- Tizz

Nina
12-28-2005, 03:07 AM
I just think that it's extremly tiring... I dont have patience for all of that stupid check-in stuff, and everything's usually crowded, and blah.

wheelchairman
12-28-2005, 03:08 AM
I totally agree, I hate the waiting for hours, urgh.

- Tizz

BATWT
12-28-2005, 08:29 AM
I used to love flying, I couldn't get enough of it. I used to be the cunt who would freak other people out with "what if" comments thinking they were extremely funny. However, a few years ago I started to become gradually nervous about flying to a point that now I can't think of anything I'd rather do less. It's possibly the most bizarre and irrational fear I have ever developed.

Safer than driving a car my arse; you crash a car you can walk away