PDA

View Full Version : I'm working!

nieh
12-30-2005, 03:33 PM
I'm at work doing the 'late' shift (11:30am-8pm) today. Pretty much everyone else in the building left at 5 and some people were allowed to leave even earlier on account of the fact that it's so slow for the holiday. I'm pretty much on my own here and need to be entertained for the next 2 1/2 hours. HELP!

HornyPope
12-30-2005, 03:34 PM
Makes you wonder if they ought to be leaving you here "working" at all? Some managers just can't manage their personal.

Human
12-30-2005, 03:38 PM
Meh, well, at least you'll be getting 2 and a half hours of quality time on the bbs...and getting paid for it!

nieh
12-30-2005, 03:43 PM
Makes you wonder if they ought to be leaving you here "working" at all? Some managers just can't manage their personal.

Yeah. But as long as our partner companies are open we need to have someone (me) available to answer the phones in case something urgent comes along. As slow as it is on a Friday night after regular hours, there's always one phone call with some crazyass issue that needs to be taken care of immediately because the person was stupid and didn't think to call us a week ago when the problem first came up.

HornyPope
12-30-2005, 03:45 PM
Right makes sense. So what is it you do again? Is it the same job where you applied by typing really fast?

SkunkIt
12-30-2005, 03:47 PM
Dog on the wall:

http://www.funnypostcard.com/images/thewall.jpg

nieh
12-30-2005, 03:54 PM
Right makes sense. So what is it you do again? Is it the same job where you applied by typing really fast?

Same company, different position. I work for a title company which has big business ties with PHH Mortgage, Century 21, Coldwell Banker, etc. I moved from data entry (after probably about a year and a half because the company is fucking stupid) to title ops (which is where you make sure the title work is completed in time and if there are any issues, you need to make sure they get fixed) to the Helpdesk, where I am currently. It's basically a call/email center for the loan counselors if they have a problem or if they need to follow-up on something. My short-term goal is to get my title examining license (which I need to take a class for which my company will pay for), work as an examiner for about a year, then go to a different company that doesn't totally suck when it comes to money and being properly staffed. Title examiners = marketable and they make an average of $50k per year in NJ, so yay if that works out for me

HornyPope
12-30-2005, 04:06 PM
So you're a corporate asshole basicly? Pfff... SELL OUT.

nieh
12-30-2005, 04:07 PM
I'm trying to dismantle the place from the inside! Ok, not really. I'm a corporate whore.

HornyPope
12-30-2005, 04:10 PM
Did you have an aversion to banking system and offices and 9-5 jobs when you were younger?

nieh
12-30-2005, 04:14 PM
I never thought anything of it when I was younger, but after working here I can honestly say I do now. Unless this place is just unique.

HornyPope
12-30-2005, 04:22 PM
Oh. I was just interested if taking this job was a radical shift in your life. Not at the moment you took it of course--we seldom realize the importance of the event until some time has passed. But in general. I know I would be.

nieh
12-30-2005, 04:32 PM
I applied for the job because my parents were splitting up and moving their seaprate ways (mom to Michigan, dad just outside Philly) and I didn't want to go with either of them. It was basically get a job and an apartment or go to college full time and find someplace to stay over summer/winter breaks. I didn't have enough money to pay for that so I went for the job. It really wasn't that big of a change for me. I sleep in a different place than I used to, but other than that it's not that different. Similar routine (though the days are a couple hours longer) and I have to force myself to be a bit more social (which can be stressful) but I get paid for it. Outside of the shift from school to work, my life hasn't really changed at all.

HornyPope
12-30-2005, 04:37 PM
Oh I think you did the right move, and I remember you were presenting it as a big dilemma for you back then; i'm not sure if I supported you then but i'll let you know that I totaly do now. This is just my own curiosity to see how people have coped with situations and such. We've all changed in our own ways for the past five years.

Endymion
12-30-2005, 04:52 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

how's about...

umm...

oh, i know!

www.virtualapple.org

nieh
12-30-2005, 04:55 PM
If I had the money, I would've preferred doing the college thing. There's more opportunities in that direction, more people my age, etc. I was the youngest person in the company for about 2 years. It might actually be that way again now that I think about it. Most of the younger people that have come in since then have ended up leaving.

HornyPope
12-30-2005, 04:56 PM
http://tinypic.com/jgjv9t.png

nieh
12-30-2005, 04:58 PM
www.virtualapple.org

Doesn't work! We have a bunch of stuff blocked on our computers here. When I try loading one of the games it just comes up as a red X.

HornyPope
12-30-2005, 04:58 PM
If I had the money, I would've preferred doing the college thing. There's more opportunities in that direction, more people my age, etc. I was the youngest person in the company for about 2 years. It might actually be that way again now that I think about it. Most of the younger people that have come in since then have ended up leaving.

Well hey it's never too late. It's about wanting. As soon you've decided you want this career, you can ace the college for a degree in no time. With the right motivation. Or just work at whatever you do, and try and pick whatever courses that can help and see if you can work your way up.

Endymion
12-30-2005, 05:03 PM
it needs activex, unfortunately... but you can get a mac emulator and download the images and play that way.

Nina
12-31-2005, 12:48 AM
I must say...you have a sexy job nontheless.