PDA

View Full Version : Sat

endlesst0m
12-30-2005, 06:53 PM
What did you guys get on your SAT's? Do you think that test is fair?

JohnnyNemesis
12-30-2005, 07:00 PM
The test is ridiculously unfair and proves nothing except that you can internalize a routine and spit it out come test time.

I got into a great school with shitty SAT scores, but I took the scenic route to college.

When did you take the SAT?

endlesst0m
12-30-2005, 07:03 PM
2 years ago. I got a 1100. I think it's unfair that kids that went to school's that aren't that great have to take the same test as everyone else.thats sucks.

All About Eve
12-30-2005, 07:05 PM
It's a gay test. I took it in 7th grade and got an 1130. Woo? Who cares. ACT pwns SAT.

sKratch
12-30-2005, 07:35 PM
ACT pwns SAT.
If you live in Alabama.

I got a 1390 without really trying. Because I'm an asshole like that.

JohnnyNemesis
12-30-2005, 07:40 PM
I got an 1140, also not really trying, and not studying at ALL. Meh.

My girlfriend got a 1560...! She kept her SAT score secret from me until I got mine.

Not Ozymandias
12-30-2005, 07:40 PM
1610. They liked my haircut.

XYlophonetreeZ
12-30-2005, 08:06 PM
If you live in Alabama.

I got a 1390 without really trying. Because I'm an asshole like that.
Fucker, you beat me by 10 points. :mad:

That_Guy91
12-30-2005, 08:31 PM
It's a gay test. I took it in 7th grade and got an 1130. Woo? Who cares. ACT pwns SAT.
Daym. I took it in 7th grade too, but I got 1010.

coke_a_holic
12-30-2005, 09:42 PM
I think I got a 1560 on the PSAT, but it may have been a 1590. Or that might have been my friend's score, I honestly don't remember.

T-6005
12-30-2005, 09:42 PM
I took it right before they switched to the new SAT, and got a 1400.

This thread's been done before.

And I believe that the SAT is unfair, but I hardly minded doing well on it.

young greg
12-30-2005, 09:47 PM
1460 on the old one

Kitten
12-31-2005, 12:12 AM
Of course it's not fair. It's kinda like a reward for those that study and listen in class. My friend got a pretty high score on her UAI (something similar to the SAT) and when she got to University, she couldn't handle it. School in general doesn't really prepare you for life outside, at least, it doesn't over here. TAFE (college) does a lot more than school ever did for me adjusting.

Endymion
12-31-2005, 12:47 AM
i was a solid C student in high school. i haven't changed a bit and i'm a solid A student in college.

my sat was 13-something. 1340 i think. all i really remember about the test was that i spent the whole time trying to eat the gummy orange slices i had in my pocket.

Kitten
12-31-2005, 02:20 AM
For me it was those coffee lollies. Thankfully the teachers weren't so strict about that in most of the exams.

JohnnyNemesis
12-31-2005, 05:17 AM
Of course it's not fair. It's kinda like a reward for those that study and listen in class.

And who happen to attend more affluent schools.

Trust me on that one.

Kitten
12-31-2005, 05:37 AM
That also explains why the top ranking schools are mostly private.

0r4ng3
12-31-2005, 06:08 AM
I just recently took the PSAT. I got an 1170. One of my friends was uber pissed because he only got 10 points higher than me.

Kitten
12-31-2005, 07:02 AM
So what is the SAT out of, bothg the new and the old?
The UAI or TER was just a percentage.

JohnnyNemesis
12-31-2005, 07:06 AM
A perfect score on the old SAT, which my girlfriend and I took, is 1600...which is why it blew my mind when she told me she scored as 1560 on hers.

A perfect score on the new one is 2400.

Sunny
12-31-2005, 07:07 AM
1200. i don't really see what's unfair about it. might be just me. and i was super happy with my score, considering that:

1. my school didn't offer any kind of pre-SAT training (well, it was in Poland, so duh)
2. i didn't prepare for the test and didn't have a tutor.
3. English is my second language.

and 4. my college's average SAT score is 940. lolz.

Kitten
12-31-2005, 07:10 AM
A perfect score on the old SAT, which my girlfriend and I took, is 1600...which is why it blew my mind when she told me she scored as 1560 on hers.

A perfect score on the new one is 2400.

God, I'll bet she got her pick of universities.

JohnnyNemesis
12-31-2005, 07:12 AM
You and I were fortunate, Magdalena. The fact that you didn't have those advantages you mentioned while so many kids do is what is so unfair. It's ridiculous to have so much inequality in a test that's commonly accepted as the "measuring stick", the difference in quality of education.

JohnnyNemesis
12-31-2005, 07:15 AM
God, I'll bet she got her pick of universities.

She applied to 6 schools and got into all of them. 3 of them were elite colleges. None were Ivy-League though, because she knew she'd be miserable around those kinds of kids...

One school in Virginia offered her 100% free tuition for four years, but she turned it down because she wanted to leave her hometown and explore a bit. Fortunately, that turned out well for me because I met her as an employee of the school she graduated from (I used to be an employee, now I'm a student there)...

Sunny
12-31-2005, 07:22 AM
i guess it's hard for me to say that it was unfair because while I received really good high school education, it just wasn't geared towards that specific test - seeing as the SAT doesn't exist in my home country, and very people even know WHAT it is. since it was an option for me, and not a requirement, i didn't feel it was particularly unfair that i didn't receive SAT specific training in high school.

i can see how (American) private schools prepare the students for the SAT in a more extensive way, though. :/

JohnnyNemesis
12-31-2005, 07:28 AM
Exactly. And you touched on another thing: the fact that you actually had a good high school education. Take it from someone who has attended two "target schools": it's really, REALLY biased and fucked up here in too many ways. The quality of education is shockingly bad.

"Target schools" are schools that are so fucked up in so many ways that they're used as the standard for shitty schools and are sometimes studied to understand how the heck we can improve the situation. It's common language in the education field. At least that's what I was told in my Education lecture a few months ago.

Funnily enough, in a completely unfunny way, is the fact that of the top 10 target schools, many are in the Bronx, a few in MY neighborhood

Sunny
12-31-2005, 07:34 AM
Oh man. :/ It's completely different where I come from. See, the funny thing in Poland is that PUBLIC schools are the good ones... and private paid schools are known to be for those who are too stupid to get into a public school. Or for those who dropped out/got kicked out of public schools.

weird, huh?

JohnnyNemesis
12-31-2005, 07:37 AM
Haha yeah, I'd heard that from a few people, including a few others on this board. Of course it seemed weird at first, the way the school system works outside of the U.S, but when I really thought about it, it made total sense to me!

Besides, there is the stereotype that the education everywhere outside of the U.S. is superior...I'm not 100% how accurate it is, but when Ann Coulter is able to graduate from an Ivy League institution, I'm inclined to buy into the stereotypes :D

Sunny
12-31-2005, 07:42 AM
It does make a lot of sense, and it's certainly a lot more fair.

As for the quality of education outside the States, I can't really tell. The only high schools in the US I know anything about are the Brearley school in Manhattan and Rye Country Day School in Westchester, and they seem to be fairly similar to what I attended back home. Then again, they're both crazy private schools, so I dunno.

beeepp.

JohnnyNemesis
12-31-2005, 07:43 AM
Ahhh. You should check out Evander Childs High School here in the Bronx! My cousin got stabbed there, and my close friend has his coat stolen at knifepoint after school one day.

Tis a lovely place!

EDIT: The school I ended up at in the Bronx after bouncing around a bit was considered one of the better high schools in the Bronx. And even THEY only have a 50% graduation rate, and it was lower when I attended!

Sunny
12-31-2005, 07:46 AM
Jesus. :/

Although, I must tell ya, speaking of shit getting stolen, if you leave anything - ANYTHING - unattended at the lovely Parsons School of Design, it WILL get jacked in no time. People cut locker locks (blek) and steal laptops, art supplies, clothes, projects, everything. A few faculty members had their laptops stolen. I had my wallet stolen there twice and each time people went shopping with my credit card.

how's that for prestigious!

JohnnyNemesis
12-31-2005, 07:49 AM
Asshole scumbag thieves. I'd beat the shit out of them and splooge on their mother's faces. I'm nasty like that, y'know?

Not Ozymandias
12-31-2005, 07:53 PM
Of course it's not fair. It's kinda like a reward for those that study and listen in class.
Not necessarily, in highschool my girlfriend Jessie had the best grades of anyone and only got a 1200. Meanwhile our slacker friend Zach got a 1502 and he never did any homework or paid attention in class.
To make it worse, when we had college recruitment day the lady from Stansbury (Jessie's dream school) wasn't even interested in her because of her "low" score even though she was going to be the valedictorian, and was only interested in Zach because of his big SAT score.
We came up with a zany scheme to have an actor who waited tables at our afterschool hangout pose as a Harvard admissions guy and fawn over Jessie in front of the Stansbury lady in order to impress her. It worked, but Jessie wisely decided that Stansbury wasn't the school for her if they only judged students by SAT scores.

endlesst0m
12-31-2005, 08:17 PM
Not necessarily, in highschool my girlfriend Jessie had the best grades of anyone and only got a 1200. Meanwhile our slacker friend Zach got a 1502 and he never did any homework or paid attention in class.
To make it worse, when we had college recruitment day the lady from Stansbury (Jessie's dream school) wasn't even interested in her because of her "low" score even though she was going to be the valedictorian, and was only interested in Zach because of his big SAT score.
We came up with a zany scheme to have an actor who waited tables at our afterschool hangout pose as a Harvard admissions guy and fawn over Jessie in front of the Stansbury lady in order to impress her. It worked, but Jessie wisely decided that Stansbury wasn't the school for her if they only judged students by SAT scores.

hahahaha. thats saved by the bell isnt it?

endlesst0m
12-31-2005, 08:28 PM
There's NO WAY that you can not pay attention in highschool and still do well. It annoys me SO much when people who get good grades say "i don't study or pay attention in school". Obviously these people are trying to get you to realize how "smart" they are, but really its just the most obvious bullshit ever.You simply CANNOT GAIN KNOWLEDGE without paying attention. For example no matter how intelligent someone is, unless they study and pay attention,they can't do Algebra, because they haven't been taught the proper rules,order of operations, and they won't know what any of the signs mean. It's NOT POSSIBLE. That's why i hate people that are so worried about thier image that they can't admit they study. Basically, saying "I don't study or pay attention but i get good grades." is like saying "I was born with the knowledge required to do algebra before it was taught to me"

Zach would never be able to achieve those scores without paying attention.At least sometimes.

That_Guy91
12-31-2005, 08:30 PM
Well, I admit to paying attention actually a bit more than the other students sometimes, but I really don't study at all, and I do pretty well.

endlesst0m
12-31-2005, 08:34 PM
Well, I admit to paying attention actually a bit more than the other students sometimes, but I really don't study at all, and I do pretty well.

As long as you admit that you pay attention and put SOME effort in, it's believable(i'd expect no less from a descendents fan).

Also, i noticed that some people have different idea's on what "slacking off" is. LOL. To me slacking off was literally doing no work senior year.literally nothing. To other people "slacking off" was not staying after class to get that paragraph of notes that they missed.

XYlophonetreeZ
01-01-2006, 12:48 AM
There's NO WAY that you can not pay attention in highschool and still do well. It annoys me SO much when people who get good grades say "i don't study or pay attention in school". Obviously these people are trying to get you to realize how "smart" they are, but really its just the most obvious bullshit ever.You simply CANNOT GAIN KNOWLEDGE without paying attention. For example no matter how intelligent someone is, unless they study and pay attention,they can't do Algebra, because they haven't been taught the proper rules,order of operations, and they won't know what any of the signs mean. It's NOT POSSIBLE. That's why i hate people that are so worried about thier image that they can't admit they study. Basically, saying "I don't study or pay attention but i get good grades." is like saying "I was born with the knowledge required to do algebra before it was taught to me"

Zach would never be able to achieve those scores without paying attention.At least sometimes.

Or... maybe the knowledge was self-explanatory? Maybe they already knew the stuff and didn't need to pay attention in school? That's how it was for me. You'd be surprised how many people are telling the ttruth when they say that. Worked for me. Now, it's not working in college. I'm the opposite of Endymion. Lazy in highschool, did pretty damn well. Haven't changed in college, doing shittly.

And they don't literally mean "I don't listen to a single word my teacher says and haven't learne d one thing about algebra," they just absorb the information more easily than most. High school math was easy for me up until calculus, and I paid minimal attention and rarely studied for tests and did fine.

All About Eve
01-01-2006, 12:53 AM
I won't quote you , X, but yeah. I'm just a freshmen, but whatever. I've payed very little attention throughout the whole year, have B's in 3 classes, and then come midterms I get a 90, 94, 95, 96, 96, 98. I don't do shit. I could honestly be second or third in the grade if I put forth 100%. Oh and I am taking 7 classes, but the last exam was state graded so I won't get that back for a while.

Endymion
01-01-2006, 01:06 AM
i'll admit, i usually half-listen to my professors. i don't completely ignore what's going on, but i'm usually more focused on a book or writing a program or doing some calculations for something completely unrelated to the class i'm in. other than programming projects i don't think i spend any time at all on any of my classes outside of class. maybe 15 minutes a semester. total. maybe.

All About Eve
01-01-2006, 01:07 AM
I never spend a lot of time on something, because the more I think the more I get mixed up. My first thoughts always run together well and are always my best, and thinking about it too much and taking to much time just leads to disaster.

Endymion
01-02-2006, 03:45 PM
http://www.csulb.edu/~rjames/classic/1135722344742.jpg