PDA

View Full Version : New Band

endlesst0m
01-01-2006, 02:09 PM
I'm looking for a new band to get into. My favorite bands are Offspring, Descendents, AFI, and Bad Religion. Anyone know any other bands like that?

0r4ng3
01-01-2006, 03:19 PM
Given those four bands, I'm suprised you don't listen to Pennywise. I'm gonna suggest them.

Edit: Also, try The Vandals, Social Distortion, or Anti-Flag.

China Boy
01-01-2006, 03:25 PM
The Vandals would be a good choice.

You should also get into Hammerfall, even though they are pretty non-punkxoorxzxz.

coke_a_holic
01-01-2006, 04:24 PM
Rancid would probably be up your alley if you haven't heard them. If you have: listen to Operation Ivy (Tim Armstrong and Matt Freeman's band before forming Rancid) they play more ska-like stuff, but you'd probably enjoy it.

Original prankstA
01-01-2006, 04:28 PM
yeah, you'd probably like social D, the vandals, and pennywise

Offspring-Fanatic
01-01-2006, 04:45 PM
NOFX. and pennywise. im getting into both of them (NOFX faster than pennywise)

Kitten
01-01-2006, 05:42 PM
Try some TSOL, start off the Dance With Me. You can find it on Ebay at the moment, or any other second hand cd store, but it should be released on Nitro soon.

GBH2
01-01-2006, 06:29 PM
^best advice ever

Original prankstA
01-01-2006, 06:38 PM
TSOL
i've heard of them what does that stand for?

opivy21
01-01-2006, 06:49 PM
^True Sounds of Liberty. They rule. Dance with me is an awesome cd. Listen to Die for Me or Code Blue.

original_prankster
01-01-2006, 07:36 PM
I would suggest getting into the following:

Misfits
NOFX
Distillers
Rancid
Circle Jerks
Anti-Flag
Dead Kennedys
The Adicts

coke_a_holic
01-01-2006, 07:46 PM
Also check out Tiger Army, they have the same drummer as AFI. They play psychobilly-ish stuff, it's fun.

EDIT: And Big D and the Kids Table for lots of ska/punk fun. Full brass section = <3.

original_prankster
01-01-2006, 07:56 PM
Big D is awesome. Listen to their song "LAX". Hehe. :D

Ryder1234
01-02-2006, 05:23 PM
Listen to queens of the stone age. lullabies to paralyze (new cd) sounds slightly like the offspring

All About Eve
01-02-2006, 05:46 PM
Dream Theater. I don't care what you like, you'll like them.

endlesst0m
01-02-2006, 06:44 PM
hahaha, i already like dream theater a little and was considering them...but im always looking for more "modern" or "mainstream" punk bands. no street punk, i dont like that...not enough talent.

All About Eve
01-02-2006, 08:14 PM
Lucky Boys Confusion then. More alt than punk, but whatever.

XYlophonetreeZ
01-02-2006, 08:33 PM
Lucky Boys Confusion then. More alt than punk, but whatever.
Seconded. Possibly the only good band I know of that could be classified as "pop-punk." Basically they're exactly like any pop-punk band you see on MTV or whatever, with the one discernible difference being that they're good. And that they have some reggae/dub influence.

More along the lines of the bands you already like, try Millencolin. But more importantly, try to expand your tastes. There's a lot of good stuff beyond the narrow range of those punk bands you mentioned.

young greg
01-02-2006, 09:39 PM
If you must listen to Anti-Flag, please do not buy anything post-Underground Network. Don't base your political ideals on Anti-Flag because you will laughed out of punk if you do so. Also, Justin Sane recommends that you burn down libraries, particularly the Carnegie in Pittsburgh.

Try some of the Irish punk out there nowadays. I'm talking Dropkick Murphys or Flogging Molly. They're punk enough that you may dig them. Acts such as the Tossers and the (all-mighty) Pogues are much more traditional, and they are definitely the best of this category, but you might not be into them.

I second the Adicts.

Try Leftover Crack and the Pist too. The Pist are not as melodic as the other bands mentioned, but they flow like mad.

young greg
01-02-2006, 09:43 PM
Set up camp at Epitaph and Fat Wreck Chords!

opivy21
01-03-2006, 03:55 PM
Listen to some second wave ska. Start out with the Specials. That's some good stuff.

Also, if you're just looking for punk, listen to some stuff from the seventies and eighties; the Adolescents, the Dead Kennedys, Agent Orange, Bad Brains, The Damned, the Descendants (a little poppier than the others), GBH, old Bad Religion, and for God's sake, listen to OPERATION IVY.

Apathy
01-03-2006, 07:28 PM
Millencolin, The Vandals, and Lagwagon are all punk/pop-punk bands that sound somewhat like the offspring. Basically...I'd listen to Lagwagon if you like Nofx, listen to the vandals if you have a good sense of humor and Millencolin if you want a straight up good pop-punk band. They're songs are never exceptional, but they don't have a bad one.

Big D and The Kids Table are the coolest ska band I know. If you like them, you should also try the suicide machines, or streetlight manifesto. Streetlight uses the most horns, Big D uses horns too, The Suicide Machines Use no horns, but they're still good ska.

original_prankster
01-03-2006, 07:47 PM
If you must listen to Anti-Flag, please do not buy anything post-Underground Network. Don't base your political ideals on Anti-Flag because you will laughed out of punk if you do so. Also, Justin Sane recommends that you burn down libraries, particularly the Carnegie in Pittsburgh..
WHAT?!

Perhaps I should read through Terror State's booklet again...

young greg
01-03-2006, 07:58 PM
WHAT?!

Perhaps I should read through Terror State's booklet again...

The library burning thing is a years-long running joke in PGH, but he did actually say that once.

opivy21
01-05-2006, 01:45 PM
I hate Anti-Flag. I read the lyrics for die for your government, and they were horrible. The song is just a conspiracy theory. I have Terror State (even though I wish that I didn't anymore) and it is really annoying. They think that they can grow out mohawks and write about politics and instantly be all-knowing punks.

coke_a_holic
01-05-2006, 02:43 PM
And above all: they're boring.

Seriously, though, if you like all of the aforementioned ska music, listen to Catch 22's Keasbey Nights. I recently got it and I am head over heels in love with them. If you want something that isn't poppunk or punk-related, listen to Primus. They're an amazing group of musicians, Les Claypool makes Flea look like a beginner at the bass. They play a lot of different types of music, funk, quasi-metal, and other are the three basic types you'll hear from them. Other meaning too different to be rock, too quiet to be metal.

opivy21
01-05-2006, 04:51 PM
Yeah, Primus are a very talented band. I have a lot of respect for them for being so unique and also so good at what they play, I just don't like it all that much.

original_prankster
01-05-2006, 08:05 PM
The library burning thing is a years-long running joke in PGH, but he did actually say that once.
Um...

I think I just lost some of my respect for Anti-Flag.

Zack
01-05-2006, 08:19 PM
NOFX is a good one

original_prankster
01-05-2006, 08:21 PM
If you decide to get anything by NOFX, get So Long And Thanks For All The Shoes. 'tis orgasmic.

ya-ya-ya-ya-ya
01-07-2006, 02:45 PM
pandora.com (http://www.pandora.com)

opivy21
01-08-2006, 03:32 PM
I love Pandora. It's such a good idea.

Igniton
01-16-2006, 10:11 AM
i would get maybe some Coheed and Cambria?