PDA

View Full Version : Splinter

ixnay04
12-04-2004, 04:17 PM
Hey everyone, I was just thinking about something. Look at all the fame that Green Day is getting. I mean American Idiot was a good album and all, but its kinda sad to see Splinter get nothing. Personally, as a huge fan of the offspring, i think they could have done a lot better on this album. I like lengthy albums (at least over 40 min). They didnt advertise Splinter enough and its sad to see radio stations and tv channels not play their stuff and over play everything else. But anyways, splinter just barely reached the 30 min- mark, which was kinda disappointing for a 3 year absence. Now i am not bashing the album, there are some amazing songs on there, but they could have made the songs WAY longer and put more thought into some of the songs. Sry if i offended anyone by this post...plz feel free to comment or msg ,me personally

Naz
12-04-2004, 04:22 PM
I agree with you 100%. I was a massive fan, since 97, and when they sort of vanished after Conspiracy of One I kind of went off them for a bit, then when I heard about Splinter I thought 'great, my love will be rekindled!'

But for such a long absence the new album didnt do much for me. I still love the band obviously, but the album didnt really refresh my ears for them.

livecby
12-04-2004, 04:27 PM
No worries, I think they'll make it up to us.

Americana
12-04-2004, 04:29 PM
I think the same thing. And they also couldv'e put more effort into the CD Extra. They just have a music video, commentary, tour, and wallpaper. Most have Americana and CO1 have much more CD extra.

HeadAroundU
12-04-2004, 04:37 PM
I like all offi albums :D
but i hope next album will be much longer!!!! and will have big succes:)))
For splinter there was written more songs but they didnt put it on the splinter!!!(because they didnt contrast with album)I think one of them will be as a new song on greatest hits!!

I want hear new songs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Fly White Guy
12-04-2004, 04:54 PM
Yeah. The album was kind of short.

OffspringInOz
12-04-2004, 04:55 PM
It was still a very good album tho

Jakebert
12-04-2004, 07:19 PM
The reason they got more publicity with it is because American Idiot is much more unique to Green Day than Splinter was to the Offspring. Splinter is great and all, but it was pretty much what everyone expected.

Kitten
12-04-2004, 07:24 PM
Another reason it didn't do so well is the lack of advertising for the album. When Green Day was due to release American Idiot, they got out there, and spoke about the album, the hype was all there, and that has served the album very well. Whereas with Splinter, there was very little advertising, and I think the first single was late into the shops.

Jakebert
12-04-2004, 07:27 PM
Yeah, "Hit That" wasn't as memorable as "American Idiot" aswell.

RADIUM88
12-04-2004, 07:34 PM
i think splinter is a great album and i listen to it almost every day on my way to work (it's a 30 min drive so the lenght of the cd is perfect...for me anyway) :D

dain84
12-04-2004, 09:24 PM
lightning rod was one of the best songs lyrically they have ever written.

Panzerfaust92
12-05-2004, 03:35 AM
I like lengthy albums (at least over 40 min). But anyways, splinter just barely reached the 30 min- mark, which was kinda disappointing for a 3 year absence

I agree that Splinter should be longer. I'm a big Offspring fan and a big Eminem fan. The last three Eminem albums have all been 70min+. I think the longest Offspring album is about 46 minutes. I know the styles are different and Offspring songs are usually pretty short, but I still think Offspring should have more tracks in their albums.

Naz
12-05-2004, 10:46 AM
Hit That had a crap video too

ixnay04
12-05-2004, 11:27 AM
i totally agree

yamabeans709
12-05-2004, 11:43 AM
i saw american idiot over 100 times only saw "hit that" twice which was shit...(i'm also a green day fan though), but i thought hit that should have made more success...i didn't see "can't get my head around you" on tv which pissed me off... i had to download it...i too think that this album could have been better....but who knows, maybe this is offsprings way of trying to get a low profile again (which they had before pretty fly) and maybe one of these days they'll come back with something great :D

Jakebert
12-05-2004, 11:48 AM
That's because "Hit That" was really nothing more than a radio single. And also, I think people are just kind of tired of the Offspring doing those funny pop songs. (Even though I love the Offspring, I think it's getting kind of old). As for "Can't Get My Head Around You", that isn't a single-type song at all. But it's pretty much the closest on the album.

Italia311
12-05-2004, 10:41 PM
and you guys think offspring is in it for the money. they didnt advertise the cd at all or add "hype" to it..all they wanted to do was throw another album out there for the fans..and they did. Although it was a little weak... I like it better than co1.

pie.
12-06-2004, 12:03 AM
it just wasnt consistent* to the other previous albums

*in terms of quality.

lousyskater
12-06-2004, 01:59 AM
i liked splinter a lot better than CO1, but it definately could have been longer.

ATOM_01
01-03-2005, 11:12 PM
I reckon the next Offspring album should be well into an hours length, and shouldn't have any songs like Pretty Fly or Hit That or Original Prankster on it at all.. It's about time the band got back to what they did best, rocking hard, fast and loud. Don't get me wrong, Americana, Co1 and Splinter where all great albums, but the band where at their peak with Inxay on the Hombre. I want their next album to top that by far.

The Offspring have been given a second chance at making it big again. They've got a kickarse of a new drummer, and their slowly going underground with their reputation. I can only hope album number 8 sounds nothing like what they've done before but is a great return to form, and hits the fans like they've never been hit before. Creates a whole new legend around the band like when Smash was out..

JohnnyNemesis
01-03-2005, 11:23 PM
My only beef with the masterpiece I like to call Splinter is that it really is way too short, and that "The Worst Hangover Ever", despite being from the greatest band ever, is one of the absolute worst songs I've ever heard.

I don't mind the fact that Splinter wasn't promoted well or sold well. I bought it, and it made me happy. Besides, less sales equals less criticism, and The Offspring have always been a very successful band. They had their time in the sun.

If people want to miss out on an amazing experience, it's their fault.

and shouldn't have any songs like Pretty Fly or Hit That or Original Prankster on it at all.. It's about time the band got back to what they did best, rocking hard, fast and loud

They've ALWAYS had super poppy songs like those on every album, including Ixnay On The Hombre, Smash, and Ignition. The only difference is that those songs weren't big hits, so they went uncriticized. Each of the following songs: No Hero, Dirty Magic, What Happened To You, Way Down The Line, I Choose, and Don't Pick It Up were way more pop than Pretty Fly, Hit That, and Original Prankster. It bugs me to hear people say that they're going "pop" now, when they always did those songs: people just didn't notice.

Not saying you did that though, just saying.

CreaturesInside
01-04-2005, 01:58 AM
Splinter is an amazing album, but it's a transitional album. They lost Ron, had to hire Josh Freese (who's the drummer everyone uses in the studio when they need one) and put the album out there 1 member short. When Atom came in, they did their tour, got tight and comfortable with Atom and now that that's all over... a new record with a new drummer coming soon... well, shit, that should be awesome.

They're re-energized now and ready to start rocking out again.

psimate
01-04-2005, 04:08 AM
splinter is cool
why do you wanna see the guys in the TV???
thats punk man...thats punk!

The_Next_Ron_Welty
01-04-2005, 04:36 AM
The noose or Lightning Rod should have been the single off the cd, they're the best songs, none of this Hit That bullshit. Its one thing to change with the times but personally, i think you should worry about the fans youve always had rather than cater to the mainstream just because you wont more money. No need to get greedy

meaning_of_life
01-04-2005, 05:53 AM
your kidding yourself if you expected the noose or lightning rod to be released as a single. both songs are way to agressive for the mainstream, and they would have failed miserably, and splinter would have been a complete disaster commercially. i think that the band will have to make more songs like hit that and all the pop songs as they are required to sell a certain amount of CDs, and there not going to catch the average listener with lightning rod. its tough for them to have to make a CD of what the true fans want, and also remember that the mainstream needs to be catered for as well in order for the record executives to approve. no doubt though that splinter was a dissapointing album. theyl bounce back.

Voodoo
01-04-2005, 05:59 AM
I agree with you 100%. I was a massive fan, since 97, and when they sort of vanished after Conspiracy of One I kind of went off them for a bit, then when I heard about Splinter I thought 'great, my love will be rekindled!'

But for such a long absence the new album didnt do much for me. I still love the band obviously, but the album didnt really refresh my ears for them.

My words are you words...

I'm a fan since 99, but I have all their albums and I like them all...
But after 3 years, I was really expecting more from Splinter...not what they came out with...

Letīs just hope the next album (if there's one) will be better...

JohnnyNemesis
01-04-2005, 10:19 AM
both songs are way to agressive for the mainstream, and they would have failed miserably, and splinter would have been a complete disaster commercially.

Well, Hit That and Can't Get My Head Around You actually DID fail miserably, and Splinter WAS a commercial disaster. At least that's how it went here in America.

I've been a fan since 1994, so I've lived through their most popular times...I don't think they need to get back into the mainstream. And if you all think an aggressive record will bring them back to the mainstream, you're definitely wrong. That's why I don't want them back there.

Noodles is gay
01-04-2005, 10:20 AM
They've ALWAYS had super poppy songs like those on every album, including Ixnay On The Hombre, Smash, and Ignition. The only difference is that those songs weren't big hits, so they went uncriticized. Each of the following songs: No Hero, Dirty Magic, What Happened To You, Way Down The Line, I Choose, and Don't Pick It Up were way more pop than Pretty Fly, Hit That, and Original Prankster. It bugs me to hear people say that they're going "pop" now, when they always did those songs: people just didn't notice.

Not saying you did that though, just saying.

Not every album! SELF-TITLED!!! :D No pop, pure 'real' offspring!

Talman
01-04-2005, 10:23 AM
I wouldn't say the songs that they had most success with are pop songs. They just have really good hooks. prime example being pretty fly's chorus "give it to me..." I heard that same phrase at least 100 times a day while pretty fly was out.
________
Daihatsu rugger specifications (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Daihatsu_Rugger)

greencows12
01-04-2005, 10:24 AM
No worries, I think they'll make it up to us.
I liked splinter, but ....greatest hits... a bunch of songs i've already heard. oh well, they could use a break, I think they should take a year off and stay home and spend it with their family, and then come back a year later with a kick ass tour of their greatest hits!!!!:D

JohnnyNemesis
01-04-2005, 10:32 AM
Not every album! SELF-TITLED!!! :D No pop, pure 'real' offspring!

Gotta agree with you there! I've always felt that "Crossroads" was kind of pushing it though, lol. But I still agree, pure real Offspring there!