PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone good with computers?

Apathy
01-01-2006, 11:36 PM
I was browsing around a few hours ago and decided to download some new songs from some downloader I found off of google, and it seriously screwed up my computer.

If I try to press control+alt+delete, it says that the task manager has been disabled by my administrator. Which is odd, because it's my computer, and I wouldn't even know how to turn it off If I wanted to.

Whenever I go to the internet, it starts me off at some seemingly random search engine, and If I try to change the home page, It will let me, but then go back to the search engine next time I close and re-enter the internet.

Also, a small warning keeps popping up in the lower right hand corner of the screen saying that my computer is infected (which, I had already realized) It states click here, blah blah blah, it's some kind of spyware remover, but nothing happens when I click on it. It wouldn't bother me, except that it pops up every thirty seconds.

I have a few Spyware destroying things installed, and when I run them they catch a couple programs and delete them, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.
Can anyone help me? I had gotten this computer as a present a few years ago for my birthday, and My parents will be pissed when they find out it's busted. It's doomed to happen anyway, but I'd like to get it working a little better.

Thanks to anyone who even tries to help...

Endymion
01-02-2006, 12:03 AM
try running ad-aware in safe mode. if you don't know, just reboot and press F8 a bunch and it'll ask if you want to go into safe mode.

honey
01-02-2006, 01:47 AM
I replied on the unofficial boards to this already.

the_GoDdEsS
01-02-2006, 01:56 AM
The Rejects forum. *giggles*

honey
01-02-2006, 01:56 AM
And why's that?

the_GoDdEsS
01-02-2006, 01:57 AM
Oh, nevermind.

honey
01-02-2006, 01:57 AM
Brat. Tell me.

the_GoDdEsS
01-02-2006, 02:09 AM
I registered on these forums to get away from bastards like Sin Studly, wheelchairman, the_GoDdEsS and JohnnyNemesis...

honey
01-02-2006, 02:12 AM
Hahah :p Who said that? I registered on that forum first though, look at my joining date. I joined the other forums in March 2004 already.

the_GoDdEsS
01-02-2006, 02:13 AM
Hahah :p Who said that?

Way too many people.

honey
01-02-2006, 02:17 AM
Well just say some names, I'm really wondering who hated it here so much.

notoriousdoc
01-02-2006, 02:18 AM
God knows how, but I've lasted here without pussying off over there

the_GoDdEsS
01-02-2006, 02:20 AM
pussying off

Hahaha, good term.

Oh, all you need to do on there is run a search for Sin Studly or wheelchairman.

honey
01-02-2006, 02:24 AM
You scared people away? Hahah. I'm sooo curious who they are now.

kami_mathieu
01-02-2006, 02:25 AM
honey: where in holland ar you from?

the_GoDdEsS
01-02-2006, 02:25 AM
You scared people away? Hahah. I'm sooo curious who they are now.

Apparently? And we're mean elitist bastards who are bullied in real life. Lollercaust!

honey
01-02-2006, 02:29 AM
Maybe that's why you started bullying (sp?) on here. I haven't seen you being really mean though. Yet.

honey: where in holland ar you from?
Drenthe, Emmen. You?

the_GoDdEsS
01-02-2006, 02:32 AM
Maybe that's why you started bullying (sp?) on here. I haven't seen you being really mean though. Yet.

No, it was what they claim about us. That apparently we are bullied in real life.

honey
01-02-2006, 02:36 AM
Oh, I misread. Sorry. Well you must have said something that offended them. To be honest, the other forums aren't much different than these, newbies are verbally destroyed on there as well.

Apathy
01-02-2006, 11:15 AM
Blah, we have our own set of people on the unofficial board.

The only difference between the two is that this place gets way more newbies coming to it. We only get one or so a month, but they get verbally raped when they say something.

endlesst0m
01-02-2006, 11:32 AM
I was browsing around a few hours ago and decided to download some new songs from some downloader I found off of google, and it seriously screwed up my computer.

If I try to press control+alt+delete, it says that the task manager has been disabled by my administrator. Which is odd, because it's my computer, and I wouldn't even know how to turn it off If I wanted to.

Whenever I go to the internet, it starts me off at some seemingly random search engine, and If I try to change the home page, It will let me, but then go back to the search engine next time I close and re-enter the internet.

Also, a small warning keeps popping up in the lower right hand corner of the screen saying that my computer is infected (which, I had already realized) It states click here, blah blah blah, it's some kind of spyware remover, but nothing happens when I click on it. It wouldn't bother me, except that it pops up every thirty seconds.

I have a few Spyware destroying things installed, and when I run them they catch a couple programs and delete them, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.
Can anyone help me? I had gotten this computer as a present a few years ago for my birthday, and My parents will be pissed when they find out it's busted. It's doomed to happen anyway, but I'd like to get it working a little better.

Thanks to anyone who even tries to help...

Just save your shit to a cd, and reformat. I don't understand why people even try to "fix" thier computer. Whats the point, just reformat.

and no, reformatting is not as big of a pain in the ass as dealing with spyware, and trying to find a program that actually removes it.

dain84
01-02-2006, 12:26 PM
You should have used Limewire to download. No viruses. I know that virus you have. It's very serious.

coke_a_holic
01-02-2006, 12:46 PM
The best part about people who hate Justin is that they all desperately try to emulate him as best as they can.

the_GoDdEsS
01-02-2006, 12:54 PM
The best part about people who hate Justin is that they all desperately try to emulate him as best as they can.

And fail miserably.

Idiot
01-02-2006, 01:11 PM
Just save your shit to a cd, and reformat. I don't understand why people even try to "fix" thier computer. Whats the point, just reformat.

and no, reformatting is not as big of a pain in the ass as dealing with spyware, and trying to find a program that actually removes it.

It is a pain in the ass if you've got lots of stuff to back up before you re-format, don't have much free time, and don't want to install loads of software again.
Some people try to fix their computer and do, it just depends on what the problem is and what you know. Whenever I have a problem, I don't just think 'fuck, I've gotta problem, gonna have to reformat' - I have a go at fixing it and usually do fix it, if the worst comes to the worst, then I reformat.
As for spyware, SpyBot Search & Destroy is a great program to protect against and get rid of spyware.

You should have used Limewire to download. No viruses.

The Gnutella network which LimeWire uses does have viruses on, I've seen a few [not downloaded them] and have friends who have got viruses from using LimeWire.

I know that virus you have. It's very serious.

Like fuck do you know what the virus is.

As for people who frequently get viruses or computer problems:

> Stop using dodgy websites
> Use Linux

Endymion
01-02-2006, 01:29 PM
> Use Linux
that's not an option for a lot of people. it should be, but it's not. the biggest issues are: gaming, peripherals. the latter is less of an issue now as most manufacturers are going with standard formats and interfaces, but it is still sometimes there. and gaming? wine etc aren't really options most of the time. a mac is a better choice for most people.

Idiot
01-02-2006, 03:43 PM
No I know its not easy, I agree with what you're saying.
I think if Linux was a bit more user-friendly and worked with more games it'd have a far larger userbase.