PDA

View Full Version : Big Words

endlesst0m
01-02-2006, 10:36 AM
Does it piss you off when people use too many big or uncommon words unnecessarily?

Discuss.

JohnnyNemesis
01-02-2006, 10:39 AM
Yes. I hate it more than death itself. It is the most annoying thing possible for reasons I don't even have to state. People should use the words that come naturally to them, or the words that fit the situation, no matter what they are.

On that same note, people who learn a new word and use it constantly annoy the shit out of me too. For an example on this board, look at how "ejaculate" was used by the spammer twins and how "inept" was used by a million people...

endlesst0m
01-02-2006, 10:46 AM
Some words help you add more color and emotion to your language. Some words help you express yourself more accuratley.I just hate it when someone uses a word that is so unbelievably uncommon, that unless you're a walking dictionary you have no chance of understanding it, and then they have that stupid look on thier face like "Yeah, I just said that really big and uncommon word, and it was no big deal to me". I hate that look.

JohnnyNemesis
01-02-2006, 10:49 AM
Next time someone gives you that look, smack it right offa their face.

endlesst0m
01-02-2006, 10:57 AM
Next time someone gives you that look, smack it right offa their face.

Hahaha. I should smack the lead singer of Bad Religion for overusing uncommon words.

Endymion
01-02-2006, 10:58 AM
there is also the problem of under-education in america. words the common student of today's youth would consider a "walking dictionary" type word are not necessarily all that uncommon in modern literature or other venues.

that said my mother was an english professor for a while, but while my vocabulary may be rather extensive, my vernacular is more closely aligned with the nation's.

Sunny
01-02-2006, 11:35 AM
Endy has a point. I know a lot of young American people who give me a hurt and bewildered look every time I use a word longer than 3 syllables.

and it's beyond annoying.

Rag Doll
01-02-2006, 11:37 AM
In my literature class last fall 90% of the class didn't know what "reclusive" meant. I wanted to cry. =\

JohnnyNemesis
01-02-2006, 11:37 AM
There's that side of it too, and I get that look when I use simple words like "discourse", and it PISSES ME RIGHT THE FUCK OFF.

I still say the other side is much more annoying.

Nirushika6789
01-02-2006, 11:39 AM
I still say the other side is much more annoying.
Yes, definitely (in my opinion). Some people I know use words that they think sound 'cool' and when you ask them what they mean they say 'I dunno, I just like the sound of it'! I mean seriously what the fuck is the point in using a word that you don't know the meaning of

Endymion
i think i'd prefer a society of elitist pricks to one of general idiocy.

wheelchairman
The problem with it, is that people use large words to hide the fact that they have a small brain. Or to look smaller. Pfff I did this when I didn't know much as well.

Another annoying thing is the people who end their posts with Discuss. Another pet peeve is people who quote others and say "Quoted For Truth."

endlesst0m
01-02-2006, 11:40 AM
Yeah that's true as well...i used to work at a carwash with all these scumbags, and one time i said "fathom" and they laughed about it so long, and made a big deal out of it like i was a genius.

notoriousdoc
01-02-2006, 11:41 AM
Yeah that's true as well...i used to work at a carwash with all these scumbags, and one time i said "fathom" and they laughed about it so long, and made a big deal out of it like i was a genius.
In what sense? As in a nautical fathom or to interpret something?

Drummerguy123
01-02-2006, 11:44 AM
I understand both sides of this. I just use these words moderately, enough to not look annoyingly smart while not looking incredibly stupid, although I don't really pay attention. I mostly just use words that are natural to me, whether they are long or not.

endlesst0m
01-02-2006, 11:45 AM
In what sense? As in a nautical fathom or to interpret something?

Some idiot crashed his car after I tried to slowly direct him into the rails that guide your car through the carwash tunnel. Later I said something like "I can't fathom how that guy managed to do that" or something along those lines, and they thought it was hilarious for some reason, and didn't know what it meant.

Drummerguy123
01-02-2006, 11:47 AM
Some idiot crashed his car after I tried to slowly direct him into the rails that guide your car through the carwash tunnel. Later I said something like "I can't fathom how that guy managed to do that" or something along those lines, and they thought it was hilarious for some reason, and didn't know what it meant.
Well, I have noticed, and I speak from experience, that most people that work in car washs aren't too bright.

JohnnyNemesis
01-02-2006, 11:47 AM
i think i'd prefer a society of elitist pricks to one of general idiocy.

They're pretty much the same thing, unfortunately. Well, actually, the elitist pricks would be a specific kind of idiocy, I suppose, rather than a general kind.

endlesst0m
01-02-2006, 11:50 AM
On that same note, people who learn a new word and use it constantly annoy the shit out of me too. For an example on this board, look at how "ejaculate" was used by the spammer twins and how "inept" was used by a million people...

Now that I think about it, I do notice these "word trends" that you speak of. It seems like if someone uses a certain word in a powerful or funny way, everyone else will start to try to use it all the time. I hate that.

And yeah I do think it's true that people that feel the need to use uncommon words so much are just trying to cover up for the fact that they really don't know what they're talking about.

Sunny
01-02-2006, 11:55 AM
The problem with it, is that people use large words to hide the fact that they have a small brain. Or to look smaller. Pfff I did this when I didn't know much as well.

*some* people. and some other people use bigger words because they're just a part of their vocabulary.. and they don't think twice about it.

in any case, i hate self-righteous pricks on both sides of the argument. i hate those who make fun of me for using "big words".. while they're simply too ignorant/uneducated to understand what the words mean. and i hate those who purposely try to use as many words from their SAT vocabulary book as they can in order to appear smarter.

cunts.

wheelchairman
01-02-2006, 11:57 AM
*some* people. and some other people use bigger words because they're just a part of their vocabulary.. and they don't think twice about it.

in any case, i hate self-righteous pricks on both sides of the argument. i hate those who make fun of me for using "big words".. while they're simply too ignorant/uneducated to understand what the words mean. and i hate those who purposely try to use as many words from their SAT vocabulary book as they can in order to appear smarter.

cunts.
I once had to write a business profile of a company that produces some kind of IT security thing. (I suck at schoolz.) But seeing as everyone reading my report has English as a 2nd language vocabulary. I filled my report with words like parsimonious, monorchid (lolz this means one-balled), and carcinogenic.

Good times. I also said that an attribute to the company's advantage was their pro-active forward-planning abilities.

JohnnyNemesis
01-02-2006, 12:00 PM
I once had to write a business profile of a company that produces some kind of IT security thing. (I suck at schoolz.) But seeing as everyone reading my report has English as a 2nd language vocabulary. I filled my report with words like parsimonious, monorchid (lolz this means one-balled), and carcinogenic.

Good times. I also said that an attribute to the company's advantage was their pro-active forward-planning abilities.

Quoted for truth.

Anyone agree?

Discuss.

Twinkle
01-02-2006, 12:07 PM
As Sunny said, some use the words because they're a part of their vocabulary. I get a lot of the said "bewildered" looks for using words, but I use them because they do come naturally to me. I don't know why, but I was blessed with the ability to retain words and their meanings, and are you trying to say I shouldn't use the bigger ones? Just because someone can't understand? If you're conversing with someone who speaks a different language, sure you keep the lengthy words out, but if you're (sorry, conversing might be too big of a word for some) talking to another person who speaks the same language, should you take your intelligence (smartness) level down to their level, or challenge them to come to yours?

endlesst0m
01-02-2006, 12:08 PM
Another annoying thing is the people who end their posts with Discuss. Another pet peeve is people who quote others and say "Quoted For Truth."

Saying that is fine. I don't care.

the_GoDdEsS
01-02-2006, 01:07 PM
My high standard Slovak was naturally acquired. I can't help but use special words because they come to me naturally. So what even if I'm an elitist prick, at least I don't pretend to be one. Also, I tune down my language around people who I know would not understand me. Sociolinguistics, bitches.

JohnnyNemesis
01-02-2006, 01:10 PM
Also, I tune down my language around people who I know would not understand me. Sociolinguistics, bitches.

I do the same thing! It just makes sense.

Sociolinguistics indeed!

killer_queen
01-02-2006, 01:19 PM
I hate when people do it. The best way to get your revenge is asking "Oh wait, what does it mean?", "Uhh, what did you say? What's that?", "Are you swearing?" while they are trying to make an impressing speech. I know, it might show you a little (sometimes completely) ignorant but believe me, it worths.

Although I hate people like that using all those words would be a great punishment for the fuckers who think they know everything. At those times I don't just use the "big" words, I make up new ones.

endlesst0m
01-02-2006, 01:21 PM
As Sunny said, some use the words because they're a part of their vocabulary. I get a lot of the said "bewildered" looks for using words, but I use them because they do come naturally to me. I don't know why, but I was blessed with the ability to retain words and their meanings, and are you trying to say I shouldn't use the bigger ones? Just because someone can't understand? If you're conversing with someone who speaks a different language, sure you keep the lengthy words out, but if you're (sorry, conversing might be too big of a word for some) talking to another person who speaks the same language, should you take your intelligence (smartness) level down to their level, or challenge them to come to yours?

I think that you SHOULD tone your vocabulary down when talking to people who don't have as big a vocabulary, for your sake. Your just gonna have to explain it to them again if they didn't understand a word you used.

As long as you just use somewhat common words you should be fine around most people though. I guess its kinda hard to define exactly what makes a word "common"...

coke_a_holic
01-02-2006, 01:24 PM
I say "gesundheit" whenever one of my friend's uses a word that's out of his normal range of vocabulary. It makes him angry because I usually know what the word means, but he just recently learned it. It's lame, but effective.

Apathy
01-02-2006, 01:54 PM
Hahaha. I should smack the lead singer of Bad Religion for overusing uncommon words.

Not to mention AFI....

My mother uses a lot of words that no one in their right mind should know.

Like Vernissage and Paucity, and Peregination and Tocsin. It really pisses me off because I have no idea what she's saying but she expects me to reply.

Nina
01-02-2006, 01:56 PM
I wouldnt say that big words piss me off, but I have noticed that people who do not use uncommon words seem nicer to me on the first look (of course not in GENERAL, I wouldnt say that this can be said). I myself am very simple-structured when it comes to talking. The majority of the people I talk to understand me perfectly...I never come off arrogant because of that, or at least that's what I've been told.
Actually...I'd say that big words are okay as long as it is not complicated in general. I REALLY dislike it when people try to sound as complicated as possible to make believe that they're super smart.

Vera
01-02-2006, 01:59 PM
Discuss??

Fucking elitist snobprick piece of shit. The correct term is "Talk about this."

platinumpt
01-02-2006, 02:01 PM
Yeah, don't forget to mention the "secks".

endlesst0m
01-02-2006, 02:01 PM
Discuss??

Fucking elitist snobprick piece of shit. The correct term is "Talk about this."

hahahahah.

Vera
01-02-2006, 02:04 PM
I was merely attempting to be mordant.

And I see it took you a while to get I was joking. Kudos.

coke_a_holic
01-02-2006, 02:08 PM
Sanni, I believe that your tone was not established as that of a joking manner, you should have inserted an emoticon or some other tell to make it a little more blatant and less subtle, in my opinion.

Vera
01-02-2006, 02:22 PM
You are instructed to court thyself in the buff.

Sodomite.

coke_a_holic
01-02-2006, 02:44 PM
Sodomite? Does thou think me a homosexer? Dishonour upon your family!

Betty
01-02-2006, 03:09 PM
I enjoy when people use nice vocabulary if they can pull it off, which is rare enough I guess. But eloquent speech, without coming off as trying too hard, is quite enjoyable. Half the time I'm typing "www.diction..." into my browser, but I appreciate the opportunity to learn a few new words or, more often than not, confirm their suspected meaning. The dialogue in shows like Dawson's Creek or Gilmore Girls is one of their most redeeming qualities.

I generally use simple enough vocabulary and probably overuse a lot of very non-intellectual words (ie. silly, fancy, fantastic, etc.), but I'd like to think I have a decent grasp on proper sentence structure and grammar, especially when I actually try. However, normally when I type, I just go with the flow of my thoughts, so it's not particularly well-structured.

Sunny
01-02-2006, 03:13 PM
Sodomite? Does though think me a homosexer? Dishonour upon your family!

homosexer is my new favorite word. ahah.

sitdyneshelagh
01-02-2006, 03:19 PM
Christ, this thread is a bit too intelligent for a board full of numbskulls!

JohnnyNemesis
01-02-2006, 03:46 PM
The dialogue in shows like Dawson's Creek or Gilmore Girls is one of their most redeeming qualities.

The reaosn I despise those two shows so incredibly much is because they are the perfect example of NOT pulling it off. They drop the words in the least smooth spots possible, come off as more pretentious than ever, and ... FUCK, seriously, it makes me hate life.

Gilmore Girls in particular...that show brings me closer to suicide than any other :(

Vera
01-02-2006, 03:50 PM
My biggest problem with both shows was, yes, "Nobody talks like that!"

And not just that. The main problem is that nobody COULD talk like that, that speed combined with that eloquance. It's just freaky!

That said, I'm totally hooked on GG. I can't help it. I love Luke&Lorelai.

All About Eve
01-02-2006, 03:50 PM
The reaosn I despise those two shows so incredibly much is because they are the perfect example of NOT pulling it off. They drop the words in the least smooth spots possible, come off as more pretentious than ever, and ... FUCK, seriously, it makes me hate life.

Gilmore Girls in particular...that show brings me closer to suicide than any other :(

I watched that show with my mom once and wanted to stab the English language.

JohnnyNemesis
01-02-2006, 03:57 PM
That said, I'm totally hooked on GG.

You're dead to me.

And if I have to see that show ever again (my sister was once hooked), I can only hope I die too.

I watched that show with my mom once and wanted to stab the English language.
Haha! I think they do a pretty good job of damaging the language on their own.

All About Eve
01-02-2006, 04:02 PM
GG should have Chuck Norris in it. Him roundhouse kicking the English language couldn't be any worse than that show.

Mota Boy
01-02-2006, 04:17 PM
Does it piss you off when people use too many big or uncommon words unnecessarily?

Discuss.
"Uncommon"? "Unnecessarily"? "Discuss"?

Whoa there, Einstein. Don't go spoutin' off your high-fallutin' book-learnin' 'round these parts and expect folks to be impressed.

Jakebert
01-02-2006, 04:40 PM
I can't stand the word "random". I know that doesn't fit into the topic of the thread perfectly, but this is the only thread where I have a chance at all to say it. I can't stand how "random" has become such a cool buzzword and everyone always has to try way too hard to be "random" and say "random" things.

coke_a_holic
01-02-2006, 05:11 PM
I think "sketch" is the stupidest word to ever become used by the general public. A sketch is a rough drawing, not someone in a dark alley way, get over it.

Sunny
01-02-2006, 05:16 PM
I can't stand the word "random". I know that doesn't fit into the topic of the thread perfectly, but this is the only thread where I have a chance at all to say it. I can't stand how "random" has become such a cool buzzword and everyone always has to try way too hard to be "random" and say "random" things.

yess! i hate it! it's so annoying. "oh that was so random" "oh watch me be random: pirates, cheese, ninjas, pie, sporks, penguins! LOLZ! RANDOM!"

"arbitrary" is a much cooler word than "random", anyway.

Mota Boy
01-02-2006, 05:24 PM
I can't stand the word "random". I know that doesn't fit into the topic of the thread perfectly, but this is the only thread where I have a chance at all to say it.
Rather ironic that you decide to randomly throw in that comment, no?

Personally, I love language. I love playing with communication, twisting words to wrench new meanings out of them and snatching up words on the cusp of extinction to insert them back into everyday usage. To use overly flowery language can often become annoying, especially when you're obviously trying to shoehorn in as many polysyllabic words as possible into a conversation. "Dawson's Creek" pisses me off for that reason (unfortunatey, one of my roommates religiously Tivo's it), but I find people that gawk at certain words much more annoying. Freshman year of college I was doing my laundry when someone else in the room jokingly asked me if this light-blue bra he and his friends had been throwing around the room was mine. I said "I don't think anyone's going to claim it at this point." at which point the guy, I shit you not, turned to one of his friends and said "Whoa, dude's got smarts." It was then that I realized that perhaps some stereotypes of Southern schools may have been grounded in reality.

Twinkle
01-02-2006, 05:24 PM
That said, I'm totally hooked on GG. I can't help it. I love Luke&Lorelai.

Heck yes! My mom and I watch that show together all the time, and I love it! Luke and Lorelai and the way Lorelai and Rory interact. Its something people only hope to be.

endlesst0m
01-02-2006, 05:26 PM
yess! i hate it! it's so annoying. "oh that was so random" "oh watch me be random: pirates, cheese, ninjas, pie, sporks, penguins! LOLZ! RANDOM!"

"arbitrary" is a much cooler word than "random", anyway.

Ugh..."Random"...it just makes me think of going to Hot Topic, and having some random 15 year girl dressed in black going up to me and saying " Do you like cheese" or something else "random" like that...

endlesst0m
01-02-2006, 05:28 PM
Heck yes! My mom and I watch that show together all the time, and I love it! Luke and Lorelai and the way Lorelai and Rory interact. Its something people only hope to be.

I HATE Gilmore Girls, and how obviously hard they try to have witty comments and big words ALL THE FUCKING TIME.

Furthermore, I've noticed its caused mom's and daughters everywhere to try to replicate this stupidity.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-02-2006, 05:41 PM
Must just jump in here because I just saw it happen in another thread - people who use "addicting" instead of "addictive" make me bleed to my very soul.

wheelchairman
01-02-2006, 06:46 PM
I love Gilmore Girls. Oddly, I hate all the main characters.

All About Eve
01-02-2006, 06:47 PM
Ha! I just remembered, the episode I saw someone mentioned liking The Offspring.

0r4ng3
01-02-2006, 07:01 PM
What a coincidence, that's the only episode I ever saw, and the only moment I ever remember. Yeah, they were talking about how all their songs are the same.

ruroken
01-02-2006, 09:30 PM
how "inept" was used by a million people...
Uh...only Richard and I used it. And it's an awesome word. Inept bastard.

JohnnyNemesis
01-02-2006, 09:38 PM
It's annoying, and the two of you misused it 97% of the time.

sKratch
01-02-2006, 09:44 PM
I never put effort into sounding a certain way. I tend to use "big" words sometimes because I find that they're often more specific and I usually try to say things as explicitely as possible.

That being said, it gets to me when people use words they don't understand or speak in a way that's more appropriate for prose or writing in general.

All About Eve
01-02-2006, 09:45 PM
I had the majority of my lunch table tell me that I shouldn't use words above two syllables around them. I wanted to slap them with my penis.

ruroken
01-02-2006, 09:47 PM
It's annoying, and the two of you misused it 97% of the time.
We did? Awesome.

sKratch
01-02-2006, 09:47 PM
No. Inflict a generous aggregation of hurt on their visage with your phallus.

On another note:
There, they're, and their. People need to learn the differences.
Per has been slipping *whip crack*

All About Eve
01-02-2006, 09:48 PM
The there thing is annoying, but the worst is "then" and "than". They're two different four letter words people, get them the fuck right.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-02-2006, 09:50 PM
Affect and effect is another one.

All About Eve
01-02-2006, 09:50 PM
Your post had no affect on me, Dave.

ruroken
01-02-2006, 09:51 PM
Jesus Christ, it's still readable. Why does it bother you so much? It's not like they're obvious, especially for people who can't write if their life depended on it.

All About Eve
01-02-2006, 09:52 PM
Jesus Christ, it's still readable. Why does it bother you so much? It's not like they're obvious, especially for people who can't write if their life depended on it.

Because after a certain point in your life you should know how to use four letter words correctly.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-02-2006, 09:54 PM

It's that kind of attitude that leads people to use SMS text language on here.

sKratch
01-02-2006, 09:55 PM
What's the point of standardized spelling if no one abides by it? It's very important to follow the rules of whichever language you're using in any context so as to preserve clarity and integrity. In using "it's", I'm reminded of the its/it's epidemic, as well as whose/who's.

ruroken
01-02-2006, 09:55 PM
Because after a certain point in your life you should know how to use four letter words correctly.
Uh...no. The internet is full of idiots. Who can't spell. Who skip school. Who do drugs.
Again, since it's readable, you shouldn't be so pissed at these people. It's like when I get mad. Meaning, it's a really stupid reason to be mad.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-02-2006, 09:57 PM
Uh...no. The internet is full of idiots. Who can't spell. Who skip school. Who do drugs.
Again, since it's readable, you shouldn't be so pissed at these people. It's like when I get mad. Meaning, it's a really stupid reason to be mad.

Just 'cos people do something doesn't mean it's alright. As sKratch said, what's the point in having a standardised language if people write in whatever way they fancy?

Endymion
01-02-2006, 09:58 PM
*penis slap!*

All About Eve
01-02-2006, 09:58 PM

People murdering a language, bringing down the intelligence of the populace, and forcing you down with them IS good reason to get mad.

ruroken
01-02-2006, 09:59 PM
What's this I hear?
Stupidity makes you stupid?
Sounds like a crappy RUROKEN EXCUSE!

sKratch
01-02-2006, 10:05 PM
The fact that you're using yourself as a point of comparison for invalidity... well... invalidates your statements.

Endymion
01-02-2006, 10:07 PM
by the way, am i the only one that giggles at the title of this thread?

All About Eve
01-02-2006, 10:08 PM
I did when I first saw it, but I'm over it now. Not exactly in a laughing mood anyways.

T-6005
01-02-2006, 10:22 PM
People who have trouble understanding me annoy me more than those who use language beyond their grasp, whether correctly or incorrectly. Because I can avoid the latter.

XYlophonetreeZ
01-02-2006, 10:30 PM
*penis slap!*
*Danza slap. The correct term is Danza slap. Thank you.

Preocupado
01-02-2006, 11:50 PM
big words are ok. it's just a writting style. the problem is using them to express ambiguity and throw you in the middle of nowhere while you read.

Nina
01-03-2006, 03:57 AM
The there thing is annoying, but the worst is "then" and "than". They're two different four letter words people, get them the fuck right.

To be completely honest...
when you TYPE, it is likely that you get the two wrong. Not because you don't know the difference, but that typos just happen. Same to all the other exampes. It does piss me off as well when people constantly get it wrong, but what pisses me off even more is when people make typos and everyone starts to pick on them. I myself type really fast, and even when I reread what I wrote I still overlook that type of stuff.
grr.
That being said...I love the GG. Who cares that nobody would speak like that? It's hella fun to watch, and to hear. It's just a TV show dammit...I never understood the whole "but it's so fake and unreal!"-argument. It's meant to entertain, not to educate.

HornyPope
01-03-2006, 04:17 AM
Next time, in promulgating your esoteric cogitations, or articulating your superficial sentimentalities and amicable, philosophical or psychological observations, beware of platitudinous ponderosity. Let your conversational communications possess a clarified conciseness, a compacted comprehensibleness, coalescent consistency, and a concatenated cogency. Eschew all conglomerations of flatulent garrulity, jejune babblement, and asinine affectations.

Let your extemporaneous descantings and unpremeditated expatiations have intelligibility and veracious vivacity, without rodomontade or thrasonical bombast. Sedulously avoid all polysyllabic profundity, pompous prolixity, psittaceous vacuity ventriloquial verbosity, and vaniloquent vapidity. Shun double-entendres, prurient jocosity, and pestiferous profanity, obscurant or apparent!!

/stolen from the internets

Paint_It_Black
01-03-2006, 04:24 AM
I have a tendency to use words that aren't quite appropriate for everyday speech. As an example, I recently tripped on a step and ended up sitting on my ass. I did a marvelous job of not dropping any of the trays of food I happened to be carrying, though that's quite irrelevant to the anecdote. The point is, a lady asked me if I was ok and I said I was fine. She pointed out that I had said "ouch" or something similar so something must have hurt me, to which I replied "It was mostly just anticipatory". Now, who the fuck says that right after falling down? Apparently I do. It was honestly the first thing that came to mind because it was the most precise answer. I like everyday language to be efficient, as language is about communication. But I can also definitely appreciate flowery language, in the correct setting.

This is a bit off topic, but one of my friends has an unusual habit with language that I find endlessly amusing. He actually uses the word "gosh" and similar words, but he will also use "fuck" and that type of thing. Sometimes together. I heard him say "gosh darn motherfuckers" once and almost died. And he doesn't do this intentionally. I think it may come from using very careful language around his family and the usual vulgarity around the rest of us.

Sunny
01-03-2006, 06:30 AM
i just had a laughing/coughing fit at "gosh darn motherfuckers". oh man. gold.

BATWT
01-03-2006, 06:57 AM
I can't remember who said this earlier, but I do find myself changing the way I speak to fit the appropriate social circle. 'Sociolinguistics' was the word that was being thrown about I think. Also, I dumb my language down when I am meeting new people; you never know when you're speaking to an idiot - which is something I believe pretty much everyone of some kind of intellect is guilty of.

Saying this, however, I can put up with idiots (and have been for most of my life). The people who I really can't stand are those who are intelligent, and feel they must use this as a means of being pompous: by using large, complicated words that actually mean exactly the same as smaller, more common words when said in context. There is a word actually that describes the unnecessary use of long, complicated words. Problem is, I can't remember it at the moment, which is a shame as it is probably the most ironic word I've ever heard - as it comes in at around fifteen or so letters.

Stay tuned whilst I get the dictionary out.

Mannen som blev en gris
01-03-2006, 08:47 AM
Well, I usually don't have a problem with it, but there's a guy in my class... he's very lame. Once he missed a class or something, and when the teacher asked why, he said "There has been an exchange of shoes." Wtf? That doesn't make sense! Why couldn't he just say "Someone took my shoes" or something?! He's always trying to sound smart, but he just doesn't know when to use which words! When a person who knows how to use "big words" uses them it can add some sort of... I don't know... deepness? to whatever he's saying/writing, but when someone who doesn't know how/when/why to use those kind of words uses them, it's just confusing. It can be pretty funny too though.

China Boy
01-03-2006, 01:19 PM

Discuss.
Ross Geller...
*shudders*

ruroken
01-03-2006, 01:24 PM
The fact that you're using yourself as a point of comparison for invalidity... well... invalidates your statements.
It was actually using my past self as a point. For example, I have said that when someone says something stupid, that I say something stupid back.

Betty
01-03-2006, 03:47 PM
Regarding the TV shows... I think it's nice to listen to teenagers speak that way. Even though it's not "realistic," it's TV dammit. It's an escape. I could understand not liking the entire concept of the show. I forced my ex to watch GG with me all the time, and he said the only thing he liked was the "Shakespearian dialogue," as he put it. I like most of the male characters, myself.

A friend made a comment to me once, and I really liked it at the time, but if extra-terrestials or people from the future were to watch some of the teen shows we have or some of the sitcoms or whatever, would they think that people were total idiots?

The sad thing about proper spelling is that people truly cannot spell. People writing essays in university STILL cannot spell and do not understand the basic rules of grammar. And in most classes at this level, they are barely even graded on that aspect of their work. That is depressing. Also, with spellcheck saves a lot of asses. I think at this point I'd prefer to not use automatic spellcheck since it probably screws me over more often than it helps me. But I do like when it changes "teh" to "the" and things like that.

JohnnyNemesis
01-03-2006, 04:17 PM
Yes, it's TV, but it's in a genre that strives to be as realistic as possible. There's a huge difference.

And it's the fact that it's done so poorly that's the problem. Squeezing tons of syllables into supposedly casual conversation...ugh. The only logical part of it all is that it matches how fucknig pretentious the characters are as a whole.

As I wrote this, I remembered this one seen with the girl and this guy she was interested in, and now I honestly want to jump out of a window. Like, seriously.

Insert T-6005's catchphrase here :(

BREAK
01-03-2006, 08:50 PM
Big words are cool. I like to use big words. When you use big words, people think that you are smart. I like it when people think that I am smart. My mom and dad think that I am cool. They also help to make your syntax sound prettier. And that is how I spent my summer vacation.

nieh
01-03-2006, 09:01 PM
Must just jump in here because I just saw it happen in another thread - people who use "addicting" instead of "addictive" make me bleed to my very soul.

The way my mind works: cigarettes are addictive; smoking is addicting. I'm not sure if that's correct or not.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-03-2006, 09:03 PM
No, smoking is also addictive. I didn't think addicting was a real word.

WebDudette
01-03-2006, 09:10 PM
I have a friend that uses Balsphemy and Insurection every 2 minutes for a month or two just because he liked them. He would actually say stuff like. "That is a blaphemous insurection" for absolutely no reason. But I also had a friend that wouldn't understand any word with more then 3 syllables and that annoyed the fuck out of me aswell. I would say something understandable by the above average 3rd grader and he would question it. He was a 7th grader.

nieh
01-03-2006, 09:11 PM
No, it is. I'm just not sure the correct place to use it.

adĚdict Audio pronunciation of "addicting" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-dkt)
tr.v. adĚdictĚed, adĚdictĚing, adĚdicts

1. To cause to become physiologically or psychologically dependent on a habit-forming substance: The thief was addicted to cocaine.
2. To occupy (oneself) with or involve (oneself) in something habitually or compulsively: The child was addicted to video games.

adĚdicĚtive Audio pronunciation of "addictive" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-dktv)
adj.

1. Causing or tending to cause addiction: an addictive substance.
2. Characterized by or susceptible to addiction: an addictive personality.

WebDudette
01-03-2006, 09:14 PM
Also I can't stand my Language classes. This year and last year my teachers would constantly have to stop in the middle of a paragraph and explain what a word ment to roughly half the class.

Betty
01-03-2006, 09:37 PM
Scene, Ricky. Sorry! Had to. But I guess it's just a difference of opinion... it's not really something that bothers me.

And regarding addicting... maybe it can technically be used as in "stop addicting me to cigarettes!" (to someone trying to get you to smoke)?? It would have to be a verb, not an adjective, anyway. It sounds retarded though.

I agree with whoever said that not knowing the difference between affect and effect is annoying. Even professionals screw that one up pretty often.

JohnnyNemesis
01-03-2006, 09:39 PM
When I read that, I was like "what the fuck is she talking about?!"

Then I read my typo and I am seriously confused as to how that happened. I mean, they're homonyms, but completely different words in my mind. It shouldn't be such a big surprise that I made the error, I guess, but they're such different words like I said, that now I'm seriously disturbed and confused.

*le sad* :(

Betty
01-03-2006, 09:46 PM
It's bizarre how sometimes your fingers type one thing when your mind says another. Even more bizarre when it's not even a homonym.

Paint_It_Black
01-04-2006, 02:51 AM
I was all excited to point out that typo. I always get beat to it.

MindlessSelfIndulgent
01-04-2006, 03:12 AM
Yes. In msn convos my best friend uses long fancy words he doesn't even understand himself. If something is too simple, he looks the words up on dictionary.com and makes the most simple sentences impossible to understand. And he knows, so after each sentence, he pastes the four page long definition of each word. Thank you, love.