PDA

View Full Version : the sims

Sunny
01-02-2006, 03:27 PM
Ok, folks, I got a question to those of you who have played this game..

What the fuck is the big deal?

I know so many people who are obsessed with the Sims to an unhealthy extent. People who only want to get a new computer so they "can play the new sims on it". People who talk about their Sims in their journals/in real life as if it was actually an interesting thing to talk about.

I've played it. And found it boring and stupid. Seriously, what is it about the Sims that makes semi-reasonable ADULTS flip out and act like moronic video-game obsessed CHILDREN?

erg.

Jakebert
01-02-2006, 03:29 PM
I have no idea what the appeal is either. I've played it a few times, and if you're bored it's a decent way to kill time, but yeah, I have no idea how people can get obsessed with it like they do.

Nirushika6789
01-02-2006, 03:30 PM
I've played in on PS2,,It's good at the start but after a while it gets extremely boring...

I don't know how people can get addicted...I really liked it at the start but soon it gets v.repetive and tiresome

Conspiracy of One
01-02-2006, 03:31 PM
I'm also clueless, i've played it and I don't find it particularly interesting. It gets boring after about a half an hour, so I find it amazing that some people can play it for such long periods of time.

Idiot
01-02-2006, 03:41 PM

I couldn't answer that question if I tried.

I've played it. And found it boring and stupid.

The same here, it was mind-numbingly boring after about 5 minutes.

Mentally_Challenged
01-02-2006, 03:52 PM
Although i'm not addicted to it, I enjoy it =D Mainly for destorying their virtual lives though.

Although, I am slightly addicted to World Of Warcraft. Eeeek =/

yay
01-02-2006, 03:53 PM
I hate the sims. Most boring game in the world.

the_offsprings_monkey
01-02-2006, 03:55 PM
I hate this guy. Most boring poster this site has to offer other then myself, anyways. The Sims is a good game s and yes it's very addictive.

the_GoDdEsS
01-02-2006, 03:59 PM

They'd better have race war games, eh? Where you can play the saviour.

yay
01-02-2006, 04:00 PM
I hate this guy. Most boring poster this site has to offer other then myself, anyways. The Sims is a good game s and yes it's very addictive.Everyone knows you are obsessed with me. Everytime I post, you have to search for it and reply negatively. I am entitled to my own opinion, and most people saw you get absolutely pwnd in that thread I made the other day, where EVERYONE in the thread turned against you. So give up, quit searching my posts and replying to all of them, thinking people will think you're cool for slagging others down.

Maybe you could try something new and take a shower you whingeing pom.

pretty_fly_white_guy858
01-02-2006, 04:02 PM
I made Noodles once in The Sims 2. Anyone remember that?

the_offsprings_monkey
01-02-2006, 04:03 PM
Everyone knows you are obsessed with me. Everytime I post, you have to search for it and reply negatively. I am entitled to my own opinion, and most people saw you get absolutely pwnd in that thread I made the other day, where EVERYONE in the thread turned against you. So give up, quit searching my posts and replying to all of them, thinking people will think you're cool for slagging others down.

Maybe you could try something new and take a shower you whingeing pom.
yea I got pwnt by everyone who wasn't you, so shhhhhhh, leave this topic if you don't have any good input left.

Nirushika6789
01-02-2006, 04:04 PM
I remember someone made the whole band and had them 'singing' to 'I Choose'...that was hilarious...Dexter looked like he was rapping

pretty_fly_white_guy858
01-02-2006, 04:05 PM
Hahah. I remember that as well. Funny stuff

Sunny
01-02-2006, 04:09 PM
so, to TOM, maybe you can offer some valuable insight. how is it addictive? what's so good about it that you keep playing it?

the_offsprings_monkey
01-02-2006, 04:12 PM
I've played in on PS2,,It's good at the start but after a while it gets extremely boring...

I don't know how people can get addicted...I really liked it at the start but soon it gets v.repetive and tiresome
True, but you find yourself saying, i'll play just one more day (in sim time) and then it ends up being many days (also in sim time)

coke_a_holic
01-02-2006, 04:15 PM
It's only really fun when you make a family and watch them all die horribly painful deaths... There's nothing wrong with me.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-02-2006, 04:27 PM

I know so many people who are obsessed with the Sims to an unhealthy extent. People who only want to get a new computer so they "can play the new sims on it". People who talk about their Sims in their journals/in real life as if it was actually an interesting thing to talk about.

I've played it. And found it boring and stupid. Seriously, what is it about the Sims that makes semi-reasonable ADULTS flip out and act like moronic video-game obsessed CHILDREN?

erg.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

Someone understands at last.

All About Eve
01-02-2006, 04:32 PM
We played it at my friend's house on new years as a joke, but other than that I haven't played it since the first one. For some reason it reminds me of the Truman Show; watching other people live life instead of living your own I guess.

Twinkle
01-02-2006, 04:38 PM
I used to be an addict. I think the addicting factor was being able to have control over a life that wasn't yours, and see disastrous things happen, but not worry about the consequences. That basically sums up why I was addicted to it, playing as much as I could. I just liked making people fall in love and get married. Another addicting thing was, if you knew the code to give you an endless amount of money, building houses and decorating them from scratch.

Sunny
01-02-2006, 04:47 PM
so it's just plain good ol' voyeurism, huh? ;p

Mota Boy
01-02-2006, 04:48 PM
I played it in high school for a week or so on a friend's computer until another friend stopped by and killed everyone. One of my friends in college tells a story of the time he was completely addicted to The Sims for a week. He'd stay up late, skip classes, basically not leave his room for any other reason "Until Saturday. That afternoon I was sitting at my computer, unshaven and hungry because I haven't gotten up to eat when I suddenly realized 'Wait, this game sucks.' I then turned my computer off and never played it again." He says, though, that The Sims 2 is more story-driven, so you really become involved in the lives of your character. I'd guess that you begin to identify in this character and really feel a challenge to build up certain stats and relationships. Also, it's comforting to have so much control over this one, stable life when the real world can be so uncertain.

What's really going to devour the free time of a whole lotta people (me included) is the next project by the dude behind the Sims, Spore (http://spore.ea.com/).

Homer
01-02-2006, 04:49 PM
My guess as to why it's so popular is that it's original, and that you can basically do many, many things with your sims. Also, this is the best game in it's whole world of sims.

In my opinion, the games not bad at all. It can be fun at times, or really tedious at times.

Paint_It_Black
01-02-2006, 05:08 PM
I put in a fair amount of time on the first one. I hadn't intended to. When I first saw a friend playing it I thought it looked incredibly dull. Well, then I was talked into making a character and building a house. The building a house part was kinda fun. So I played the character a little bit. It was ok, but as I suspected a bit dull. Then I discovered you can turn the speed up really high, and got addicted for a few days. For some reason I couldn't resist the urge to max out all my character's stats and try to get the best job. Playing on the highest speed really kept my attention and made it challenging, in fact it took so much attention that I didn't even get hungry or tired unless I stopped playing. Once my character was maxed out I had the same revelation as Mota Boy's friend. This game sucks. So I stopped playing. I suppose I found it addictive for a short while because I was able to make it very challenging. I haven't bothered to play the Sims 2.

0r4ng3
01-02-2006, 06:05 PM
I can see why people don't like it, but I'm into those types of games. Y'know, simulations and stuff. I was obsessed with Roller Coaster Tycoon, Simtower, and stuff like that.

That being said, I hate the Sims for not working on my computer a few years ago. It would make it...unstable. Nowadays, I have a better compy. I'd totally get The Sims 2 if my brother didn't already have World of Warcraft taking up so much memory.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-02-2006, 06:06 PM
I like simulation games but The Sims was the pits. SimCity was much, much better.

0r4ng3
01-02-2006, 06:08 PM
Bah, I'm not a big fan of the SimCity series. No matter what I did, no matter how many cheats I used, no matter how well I planned it, my city would always be doomed to failure and debt.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-02-2006, 06:10 PM
Oh, sure, it was hard. But awesome fun once you got the hang of..

Oh, alright, I admit it. Making cities was fun but making big ones and flooding them with natural disasters was the awesomest.

sKratch
01-02-2006, 07:59 PM
I think for some reason The Sims catches people who aren't really gamers (in my experience, addicts have almost always been people who don't play other PC games) and they just don't know that there are games out there which are far better.

T-6005
01-02-2006, 09:28 PM
Yeah, The Sims was not a good game. I played The Sims 2, and that was also shit. I played for about 4 hours straight when I got it, trying to figure out everything and what exactly had changed and waiting for the fun part - and then nothing ever happened.

Homer
01-02-2006, 10:08 PM
Ha! You got the Sims 2.

The only way I'd by a Sims game is if it were on a console. The console versions are better because they add storylines to the game, which is better than looking at some fictional, user-created person going to the bathroom every two minutes.

Preocupado
01-02-2006, 10:39 PM
i follow sunny; it's stupid and boring.

and also, what the fuck! and i mean it!

wheelchairman
01-03-2006, 03:31 AM
I like simulation games but The Sims was the pits. SimCity was much, much better.

I LOVED SimCity. I used to play it all the time before we had agood computer. It was the non-3D version...I cheated a lot to get more money though.

I played the Sims once. Then my characters died in a fire and I never played again.

- Tizz

Izie
01-03-2006, 03:35 AM
I played the Sims.

The best I ever did with them was murder/torture them in various sadistic ways. My sister and I were/are quite the artists :)

However, it got boring :( You can only kill them in a limited number of ways, so boo :(

The house-building is still cool though, especially in the Sims 2, w00t

platinumpt
01-03-2006, 03:37 AM

erg.
The Sims is a very boring game. Just like sim city and its clones were. Honestly I can't see what's the deal with it, too. The only games I play are action-packed games, I don't play strategy or simulations of any kind anymore.

notoriousdoc
01-03-2006, 03:56 AM
I agree, Simcity is so much better than the sims, I got a ddicted to it for about 3 months and I still have to pry myself away if I ever play it.

I got addicted to Age Of Empires as well, I'm such a a geek

BATWT
01-03-2006, 05:13 AM
A brief timeline of The Sims:

10am - install/start playing
11am - you get bored
11.30am - you find the cheat to get shitloads of money
2pm - you have made many, many kick-ass houses
3pm - uninstall
4pm - ebay

platinumpt
01-03-2006, 06:13 AM
^ Yeah, it's more or less like that. Definitely.

Mannen som blev en gris
01-03-2006, 06:42 AM
I don't think I ever got addicted to The Sims... not more than any other games, anyway. I think the reason I stoppped playing was because when you have 999999999 (I still have no idea why the didn't make up their own... thing. instead they used a ""... weird) (by the way, I'm talking about the money, for those who haven't played it), you can buy everything you want, and sure, that's fun for a couple of days/weeks (was for me, at least), but then it just gets boring since you have all the stuff. I think the ones who get really addicted are the ones who don't cheat, because then they can get a job and watch them make money and buy a bigger house and blah blah blah. I bet it is a fun and interesting game then, but if you just cheat... well, it gets boring.

killer_queen
01-03-2006, 06:52 AM
Because of being immature at everytime of my life I used to delete the doors adn leave my characters with no food. That was all. I don't like the game. Tizz is right, SimCity was soooo much better.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-03-2006, 07:00 AM
A brief timeline of The Sims:

10am - install/start playing
11am - you get bored
11.30am - you find the cheat to get shitloads of money
2pm - you have made many, many kick-ass houses
3pm - uninstall
4pm - ebay

Bahahaha! That's pretty much exactly right.

BATWT
01-03-2006, 07:19 AM
And I'd say 9/10 people who have played the game have followed suit.

Cejus
01-03-2006, 10:55 AM
I liked the first Sims game, although I got bored very quickly. There are plenty of better games out there which I never get bored of: Need For Speed, Monkey Island, Age of Mythology, Battlefield...

But all those Sims expansions are really annoying, I can't stand them. I can't understand why people love this game so much, either. :confused:

platinumpt
01-03-2006, 10:57 AM
Yeah. they fill an entire game-shelf on my local games store. Very annoying.

Kerr
01-03-2006, 11:07 AM
I have never played it and I certainly don't ever want to because it doesn't even look that good at all. It is also very mind-numbing and dangerously lowers your IQ.

platinumpt
01-03-2006, 11:08 AM
I have never played it and I certainly don't ever want to because it doesn't even look that good at all. It is also very mind-numbing and dangerously lowers your IQ.
I shall quote James' post for unquestionable truth.

killer_queen
01-03-2006, 11:47 AM
It lowers people's IQ? Is that possible?