PDA

View Full Version : Deftones make Baby Jesus cry.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-02-2006, 05:35 PM
Oh, evil, bad bad band. Away.

All About Eve
01-02-2006, 05:40 PM
Deftones also make me cry, and I'm sure many, many others. What bastards.

JohnnyNemesis
01-02-2006, 06:09 PM
I used to really like them, then got really REALLY bored with 'em.

They were so fucking overrated at one point. Seriously, their fans can be the most obsessive sometimes. Like, Tool or Nirvana levels of obsession.

Please try to start more of a conversation next time, instead of the ol' "[insert band/artist here] sucks" thing that we get too often. Unless I'm missing something? (which I might)

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-02-2006, 06:16 PM
Well alright, I'll tell you how I came to this conclusion.

I heard a song of theirs a while back.. something to do with school? It had a school in the video I think. Anyway, I figured it wasn't too bad. Then today, while listening to Yahoo MusicCast (something I adore, by the way) I heard a song by them called Hexagram, and I was aghast at how bad it was. I tried out a few other songs, and it just got worse and worse. Agh.

But maybe I've been very selective. Deftones fans, if we have any, suggest songs and I'll give them a listen.

JohnnyNemesis
01-02-2006, 06:22 PM
Ah, you're thinking of Back To School (pink maggit). Very popular, but shitty song in my opinion. Hexagram is indeed horrific as well, and I don't know why the fuck they released it.

Digital Bath was a great track. My Own Summer seems to be the general favorite, but I think it kinda falls flat. Be Quiet and Drive (Far Away) is an amazing song. Birthmark is also quite good. Bored as well. 7 Words is also popular, but not a good introduction to the band.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-02-2006, 06:42 PM
I'll give some of those a try and let you know.

nieh
01-02-2006, 07:59 PM
I only have White Pony and a few songs on my computer by them. I wouldn't call myself a fan, but I do enjoy them every now and then. Back to School is a terrible song and is one of the reasons it took me so long to actually start listening to these guys. I'm fond of 7 Words despite being some of the most straight forward funk-metal they've done. It's one of the catchiest songs in their catalog, though it really doesn't sound like typical Deftones. I also kinda like Knife Prty, despite the shitty spelling of the song title.

JohnnyNemesis
01-02-2006, 08:13 PM
I hear ya. White Pony as a whole, aside from Back To School is an extremely good album, though I don't know if it's the best introduction to the band. I dunno.

Dave, download Passenger as well. Good track there too.

nieh
01-02-2006, 08:19 PM
I hear ya. White Pony as a whole, aside from Back To School is an extremely good album, though I don't know if it's the best introduction to the band. I dunno.

Dave, download Passenger as well. Good track there too.

Guest vocals by Maynard = awesome. I used to be a huge, huge fan of Tool, but after not picking up one of their albums for about 2 years and trying to listen to them again a couple months ago I really didn't like them anymore (aside from a handful of tracks). Still, Maynard does have a great voice.

T-6005
01-03-2006, 01:14 AM
I'm not a fan of Deftones... at all. I listened to Minerva a little while ago and hated it, but left it on. And I ended up thinking that the chorus was alright.

My Own Summer is alright, as well. I'm just not a big fan overall, though.

the_GoDdEsS
01-03-2006, 03:57 AM
I used to like one song by them years ago but can't remember what it was. The rest is blech. Also, something about their vocalist annoys me.

Lars
01-03-2006, 04:20 AM
Terrible terrible terrible live band.

I've seen them once, and A Perfect Circle opened for them. They (APC) sounded very good. Then cue Deftones, couldn't even tell what fucking song they were playing until around the 3rd song in, and that was only cause the chorus kicked in. I left after a few more songs cause It seemed pointless, especially after they said they wouldn't be doing passenger with Maynard as guest vocals. Someone I went with said they were the same the previous time he'd seen them, so it doesn't bode well.

Yatesy
01-03-2006, 10:56 AM
I think this band are alright, however I can't say I'm a fan. But Hexagram is awful.