PDA

View Full Version : ESPN is going insane

Drummerguy123
01-02-2006, 06:46 PM
Today I was flipping through the channels during a commercial break for the game, and ESPN had a spelling bee on. I was like, WTF! That's not sports! ESPN also shows "sports" like hot dog eating. Isn't ESPN supposed to be a sports channel? I'm fine with spelling bees being aired on tv, but ESPN should be reserved for sports, not spelling bees.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-02-2006, 06:48 PM
sport ( P ) Pronunciation Key (spôrt, sprt)
n.

Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

A particular form of this activity.

An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
An active pastime; recreation.

Spelling bees and hot-dog eating be sports.

Drummerguy123
01-02-2006, 06:53 PM
Okay, seeing that, I will accept that hot dog eating is a can be considered a sport, but spelling bees don't really require much physical activity. And by the looks of those kids, they weren't getting much physical activity.

0r4ng3
01-02-2006, 06:56 PM
Okay, seeing that, I will accept that hot dog eating is a can be considered a sport, but spelling bees don't really require much physical activity. And by the looks of those kids, they weren't getting much physical activity.
They were probably also in the hot dog eating contest beforehand.

Drummerguy123
01-02-2006, 06:59 PM
They were probably also in the hot dog eating contest beforehand.
lol. I don't remember seeing any skinny Asian kids there, although I bet there were some.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-02-2006, 07:00 PM

So? It was done in competition, was it not?

Drummerguy123
01-02-2006, 07:01 PM
So? It was done in competition, was it not?
Yes, but it doesn't invole physical activity, which was part of your definition.

JohnnyNemesis
01-02-2006, 07:01 PM
Anything that turns a profit is what they'd consider a sport. Come on now, it's obvious.

There's tons of sports related talk shows on ESPN too. And they kick ass.

Drummerguy123
01-02-2006, 07:03 PM
Anything that turns a profit is what they'd consider a sport. Come on now, it's obvious.

There's tons of sports related talk shows on ESPN too. And they kick ass.
But would a spelling bee really be that popular among the masses to provide a large profit?

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-02-2006, 07:05 PM
Yes, but it doesn't invole physical activity, which was part of your definition.

Part of, but not a definition in itself.

Drummerguy123
01-02-2006, 07:08 PM
Part of, but not a definition in itself.

But if we could only use part of a definition like that, couldn't we say that something like laying bricks is a sport because it is a physical activity, even though it isn't competitive?

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-02-2006, 07:09 PM
No, because the two aren't mutually exclusive. A sport has to be something competitive that's judged by a set of rules. Physical exersion or not is kind of a moot point. And anyway, it's all about how you define physical activity - I'd say the stress of trying to spell on National TV is pretty fucking stressful.

Drummerguy123
01-02-2006, 07:11 PM
No, because the two aren't mutually exclusive. A sport has to be something competitive that's judged by a set of rules. Physical exersion or not is kind of a moot point. And anyway, it's all about how you define physical activity - I'd say the stress of trying to spell on National TV is pretty fucking stressful.

Of course it is stressful, but it is mental stress, not physical stress.

Mota Boy
01-02-2006, 07:12 PM
But would a spelling bee really be that popular among the masses to provide a large profit?
The 2004 Scripp's Howard Spelling Bee was on ESPN2. My sibs and I watched a bit of it while flipping between games. The Spelling Bee is quality entertainment. And what "large profit" are you talking about? ESPN isn't paying Scripp's Howard hundreds of millions of dollars to be the exclusive provider of the spelling bee season, it takes up just a few hours of programming a year and is a national title in an unusual-yet-interesting "sport". When larger stations have the rights to more important games (such as the bowl games played today), ESPN can run some counter-programming to lure a different audience.

JohnnyNemesis
01-02-2006, 07:12 PM

There's no "would" about it. It's being televised BECAUSE it provides a large profit. There was a huge buzz recently over spelling bees too, with documentaries being released as well.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-02-2006, 07:13 PM
Of course it is stressful, but it is mental stress, not physical stress.

Sweaty palms, quick breathing, sweating.. I'd call that physical stress.

Drummerguy123
01-02-2006, 07:13 PM
There's no "would" about it. It's being televised BECAUSE it provides a large profit. There was a huge buzz recently over spelling bees too, with documentaries being released as well.
Oh, then I must have missed all of that, because that was the first I have seen about it.

Nirushika6789
01-02-2006, 07:14 PM
There was a huge buzz recently over spelling bees too, with documentaries being released as well.
Am I the only one who sees a pun here?

Yea I know I'm lame but ah well

Drummerguy123
01-02-2006, 07:15 PM
Am I the only one who sees a pun here?

Yea I know I'm lame but ah well

lol. I didn't catch that.

Nirushika6789
01-02-2006, 07:28 PM
lol. I didn't catch that.
:p .

arak0r
01-02-2006, 08:50 PM
chess isnt a sport, neither is the spelling bee. they ARE however competetive games. espn has shown BOTH before. personally i enjoy watching the bee at times. those lil kids are the ones that grow up and off themselves while attending MIT.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-02-2006, 08:57 PM
Why isn't chess or a spelling bee a sport?

0r4ng3
01-02-2006, 08:58 PM
Are Monopoly and Scrabble considered sports?

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-02-2006, 09:01 PM

In it's broadest definition I suppose it could be.

Mota Boy
01-02-2006, 09:03 PM
Because they aren't physical activities. If you expand the definition of physical activity to include signs of stress, then every competitive activity is a sport, from board and card games to standardized tests.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-02-2006, 09:04 PM
So if a sport isn't a physical activity played competitively, what defines a "sport"?

JohnnyNemesis
01-02-2006, 09:06 PM

The National Scrabble Association Championships are televised on ESPN as well, by the way :D

What's funny is that I actually know about the Scrabble folks, since I'm obsessed with the game and all.

Mota Boy
01-02-2006, 09:12 PM
So if a sport isn't a physical activity played competitively, what defines a "sport"?
I think you're using too broad a definition of "physical activity". I'd say that the defining line between a sport and a game is whether it requires more physical or mental prowess. Scrabble requires you to move the tiles, but the main skill required to be a good Scrabble player is a knowledge of a wide variety of words and the ability to put them together based upon a limited number of tiles. With football, you've got to know plays, read the other players and see openings in the field, but none of that means anything if you aren't big and fast.

Italia311
01-02-2006, 10:37 PM
Yeah, TSN was airing the ESPN spelling B...so weird...

barangatang
01-02-2006, 10:58 PM
I love nothing better than to see some stuck-up, fat, uncircumcised indian brat mess up on some stupid word and start crying.