PDA

View Full Version : Primer

XYlophonetreeZ
01-02-2006, 11:08 PM
Has anyone, by any chance, seen this movie? (Primer, that is). I watched it at a friend's house last night and I have to say it's the most confusing and challenging movie I've ever seen (even with my friend regularly pausing to explain things, and he's seen it about 5 times). It's a science fiction story, involves time travel, and it doesn't even go into very much depth about the physical reasons why the time machine works, but the stuff that it does explain is really interesting and rather tough to get around at first. And the questions that it leaves behind are part of what make it good. It's not the cheesy, overdone sci-fi type of time travel-- the unique way that the characters discover the means of accomplishing this feat was one of the best things about the movie.

I borrowed the movie and watched it alone this afternoon and understood it a lot better, and I really appreciate its brilliance now. Fucking amazing film. It's a mindblowing intellectual thriller. If you're a nerd, you'll probably like this movie.

By the way, it's incredibly low-budget- we're talking $7,000 here. Go see it. It drove me fucking crazy, but it was totally worth it.

Not Ozymandias
01-31-2006, 07:05 PM
I wasn't crazy about it, the endless tech speak for the first 20 minutes was really off-putting. Plus, I just can't get into movies that take time travel too seriously.

Still, it's hard not to like a movie made so creatively done. For 7 grand it's really remarkable. Then again, when you have to use a movie's buget to praise it that's a sign you didn't like it all that much.

BREAK
05-01-2006, 03:51 PM
I quite enjoyed it, but to be fair, I generally don't mind when a movie deliberately tries to go over my head. I'm glad I didn't have a guy who's seen it a bunch of times explaining everything to me, it would've made me bored and irritated with the whole thing. Being as confused as I was helped me to identify more intensely with the characters, who clearly don't understand what they're dealing with. My mind is still full of questions, but I hope they never get answered.

H1T_That
05-01-2006, 04:12 PM
anyone seen the movie Revolver, by guy richie? i still dont fully get that film.

its something like a conman gets conned by better conmen, who are been conned by some other conmen, who are being conned by the original guy.

Everyone is a backstabber, and i have no idea who comes out of it better off.

XYlophonetreeZ
05-01-2006, 04:39 PM
H1T_That, that really, really should not have been in this thread.

And I thought the explaining was rather annoying too, and it didn't really help me out either. I can't understand shit like that unless I naturally figure it out on my own. That's why I understood it better the second time watching it alone.

H1T_That
05-01-2006, 04:48 PM
H1T_That, that really, really should not have been in this thread.

And I thought the explaining was rather annoying too, and it didn't really help me out either. I can't understand shit like that unless I naturally figure it out on my own. That's why I understood it better the second time watching it alone.

sorry, just cause you were discussing a film you didnt understand, so i mentioned one i dont understand.

Endymion
05-01-2006, 05:27 PM
i just got it back after lending it to a friend at work. i like it quite a bit.