PDA

View Full Version : why the hell was the "hey" thread closed?

young greg
01-03-2006, 08:05 AM
damn, you moderators are touchy

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-03-2006, 09:07 AM
What thread was that?

Mannen som blev en gris
01-03-2006, 09:12 AM
This one. (http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20378) Guess why.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-03-2006, 09:55 AM
Hahaha!

100% behind closing on this one.

the_GoDdEsS
01-03-2006, 10:18 AM
Oh man, Tijs rocks.

young greg
01-03-2006, 10:38 AM
I still don't get it.

the_GoDdEsS
01-03-2006, 10:43 AM
You guys need to be told like in the kindergarten sometimes. It's so obvious.

NOAMR
01-03-2006, 10:44 AM
Just cuz mods like closing threads in stead of discussion, cuz they like the power. But the thread schould have been on 'offspring.com talk', here, that's the only wrong thing about it(unless it is wrong to discuss what mods do).

So about the original topic of the closed thread(since right now it's on the right place): the floods aren't really offspring-related, it schould be in the politics-section.

So all together: nothing schould have been closed, just moved.

young greg
01-03-2006, 10:48 AM

Alright, thank you. Take note, moderators.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-03-2006, 10:52 AM
What? Which exact discussion was blossoming?

If he wanted to talk about the floods, he should've linked to a news story and asked a few questions to discuss.

NOAMR, and anyone else who thinks like him, stop being so bloody pissy about the mods. We're actually very lax. It's completely immature and pathetic. And typical of an anarchist, I may add.

No. We don't go back on our decisions unless there's a valid reason.

young greg
01-03-2006, 10:54 AM
for future reference

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-03-2006, 10:57 AM
For future reference the mods act in their best judgement.

Endymion
01-03-2006, 11:11 AM
floods in california = general chat section.

and a further question, why have i not heard of any floods? i fucking live in california.

moving or closing threads in the wrong sections is at our discretion. if it's a quality conversation, we'll probably just move it. if it's crap, it will be closed.

pretty_fly_white_guy858
01-03-2006, 12:20 PM
They closed it because it had absoloutley nothing to do with the Offspring. They arent the only people that live there you know.

Kitten
01-03-2006, 01:53 PM
Just cuz mods like closing threads in stead of discussion, cuz they like the power. But the thread schould have been on 'offspring.com talk', here, that's the only wrong thing about it(unless it is wrong to discuss what mods do).

So about the original topic of the closed thread(since right now it's on the right place): the floods aren't really offspring-related, it schould be in the politics-section.

Shouldn't something about the weather be General Chat? The floods are not exactly a political ploy to raise taxes.

Mota Boy
01-03-2006, 02:03 PM
NOAMR is a joke and will never be taken seriously. Take note, young greg.

the_GoDdEsS
01-03-2006, 02:18 PM
Floods in the politics section? Excuse me?

T-6005
01-03-2006, 02:40 PM
Well, obviously floods are political.

I can't back it up, since I'm an anarchist, but without a system, everything and nothing is political. So DOWN WITH THE SYSTEM!

Ferret
01-03-2006, 03:01 PM
What a line Tijs that had me laughing for ages :p

JohnnyNemesis
01-03-2006, 04:08 PM
NOAMR and young greg are whiny bitches who are making absolutely no sense in this thread. And that's a fact.

yay
01-03-2006, 04:18 PM
Reading that thread about the floods gave me a brainache. I cant believe how stupid some people on this board are. I agree with the mods 100% on this one.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-03-2006, 06:44 PM
^ You KNOW we were right if YAY agrees with us.

young greg
01-03-2006, 07:08 PM
NOAMR and young greg are whiny bitches who are making absolutely no sense in this thread. And that's a fact.

Dude, why do you gotta be like that?

JohnnyNemesis
01-03-2006, 07:10 PM
I'm not being like anything. It's just true. Sorry.

young greg
01-03-2006, 07:15 PM
Whatever, dude...

I'm not on here trying to be "that guy" that ruins the message board by being antagonistic just to be antagonistic. I enjoy serious Offsrping discussion as much as the next fan, but I still think there are some of you that take this forum too seriously.

And with this thread, I just wanted to know why the other was closed. That's it, and it was answered on page one.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-03-2006, 07:19 PM
Too seriously? We're moderators. We have to add a tiny bit of seriousness to stuff.

JohnnyNemesis
01-03-2006, 07:21 PM
Yeah, there are people who take this place too seriously. It aint us.

In fact, anytime anyone tries to be impartial on here, especially moderators, we get the "you take this place too seriously" line thrown at us. It gets tiring because it's been done thousands of times. If people stopped crying and were objective every now and then, there wouldn't be dismissive insults being thrown around in response.

young greg
01-03-2006, 07:23 PM
Of course moderators have their role to play, but I didn't understand the decision to close the other thread, so I thought, "What the hell? Another innocent thread killed by vicious moderators." Now I know the real reason, and it makes more sense (because I suppose I must come to terms with the fact that this forum tries to maintain a certain level of order).

JohnnyNemesis
01-03-2006, 07:37 PM
Of course moderators have their role to play, but I didn't understand the decision to close the other thread, so I thought, "What the hell? Another innocent thread killed by vicious moderators." Now I know the real reason, and it makes more sense (because I suppose I must come to terms with the fact that this forum tries to maintain a certain level of order).

Exactly right.

The reason we brushed you off is because you didn't even give us the benefit of the doubt. If you'd have just been reasonable and asked why, there wouldn't have been any mess, I don't think.

the_offsprings_monkey
01-03-2006, 07:40 PM
It as a pointless thread.

Mota Boy
01-03-2006, 07:53 PM
The reason we brushed you off is because you didn't even give us the benefit of the doubt. If you'd have just been reasonable and asked why, there wouldn't have been any mess, I don't think.
Exactly. You impetuously decided to insult an entire group of people on the board for the obviously rational actions of one person in that group. Then, when we politely inform you that you're an idiot, you somehow get defensive and claim that WE'RE taking things too seriously and act like we started the whole thing. Hell, it wasn't even your thread that got closed. If you lighten up a bit and think before you post, you'll find this place a lot less hostile.

young greg
01-03-2006, 08:38 PM
Lighten up. My first statement was hardly an insult, and not all the responses I got were polite; but nevertheless, the topic is cleared up. This thread has quickly become "too serious" for me, and I would like to see it come to a natural halt. I'm not trying to sound sarcastic, but this sort of internet fighting is pointless.

JohnnyNemesis
01-03-2006, 08:40 PM
We're chill, don't worry. Using harsh language doesn't mean we're not calm.

T-6005
01-03-2006, 11:12 PM
We're chill, don't worry. Using harsh language doesn't mean we're not calm.
Colorful, maybe.

Mota Boy
01-04-2006, 01:09 AM
Lighten up. My first statement was hardly an insult, and not all the responses I got were polite; but nevertheless, the topic is cleared up. This thread has quickly become "too serious" for me, and I would like to see it come to a natural halt. I'm not trying to sound sarcastic, but this sort of internet fighting is pointless.
The thing is, normally I wouldn't bother seriously responding to a thread like this. However, as a moderator of this forum, I feel a certain need to walk you through your faux-pas. Of course, it's also fun to toy with arrogant newbs, and it's especially fun to keep this going since you now seem ashamed of the entire topic (and rightly so). Just wait until three months from now when someone bumps this to remind you what a tool you were when you first joined.

And come on, your first statement was a direct challenge to all moderators. While not a flat-out insult, it was obviously intended to ruffle some feathers and elicit a response. You can't suddenly curl up into the fetal position and act surprised that "not all the responses [you] got were polite". Your attitude in this thread has been continually amusing. First telling the moderators how to behave (with the downright hilarious suggestion that we "take note" from NOAMR) before you'd even heard the reason for closing the thread, then suddenly playing the victim and trying to sweep it all under the rug instead of doing what a bigger man would do and apologizing.

JohnnyNemesis
01-04-2006, 01:16 AM
That post was so good that I...I'm really really SERIOUS right now.

Mota Boy
01-04-2006, 01:19 AM
Damn it, Rick. You're scaring the poor kid.

the_offsprings_monkey
01-04-2006, 01:52 AM
Damn it, Rick. You're scaring the poor kid.
Rightfully so tho.

NOAMR
01-04-2006, 10:28 AM
NOAMR, and anyone else who thinks like him, stop being so bloody pissy about the mods. We're actually very lax. It's completely immature and pathetic. And typical of an anarchist, I may add.

Sry, but I don't think you mods are lax, I post on many forums, and this is the forum with the worst mods. Well, the biggest problem I see is that in stead of condamning the insulting, often useless posters, they walk with them and bash newbies.

I don't really have a problem with the closing of the previous threads. They weren't really interesting, and on the wrong section. But I don't think a mod schould close a thread just cuz he thinks it's stupid, that's subjective, surely if you see that there are a lot of worse things here.

And okay, perhaps the flood thread schould've been on general chat, but I was more seeing it in a line of disasters, like New Orleans, Pakistan, Tsunami... So it depends what you wonna say about it, if you wonna talk about the climate changes, Kyoto..., the bad help, the egoism of the wine-farmers... it schould be Politics, if you just want a random chat, General Chat.

Little_Miss_1565
01-04-2006, 10:40 AM
I'm in support of Tijs on this one. If you're too thick to get that any random discussion thread having NOTHING TO DO WITH THE OFFSPRING (see also the forum guidelines Tijs made) doesn't go in GOD, you deserve to have the thread closed.

JohnnyNemesis
01-04-2006, 11:23 AM
NOAMR is full of shit yet again. I post on TONS of forums, and this is the one with the least serious moderators EVER. Most of the forums I post at have a rule where you're not even ALLOWED to argue with the staff on their decisions at all.

So yeah, shut the fuck up, NOAMR. Seriously, shut it. All of your posts here in this thread have basically said "The thread deserved to be closed and you did the right thing, but I don't like you so I'm bitching anyway", except you took several paragraphs tro say it. If the decision was right, just shut the fuck up already.

young greg
01-04-2006, 11:27 AM
The thing is, normally I wouldn't bother seriously responding to a thread like this. However, as a moderator of this forum, I feel a certain need to walk you through your faux-pas. Of course, it's also fun to toy with arrogant newbs, and it's especially fun to keep this going since you now seem ashamed of the entire topic (and rightly so). Just wait until three months from now when someone bumps this to remind you what a tool you were when you first joined.

And come on, your first statement was a direct challenge to all moderators. While not a flat-out insult, it was obviously intended to ruffle some feathers and elicit a response. You can't suddenly curl up into the fetal position and act surprised that "not all the responses [you] got were polite". Your attitude in this thread has been continually amusing. First telling the moderators how to behave (with the downright hilarious suggestion that we "take note" from NOAMR) before you'd even heard the reason for closing the thread, then suddenly playing the victim and trying to sweep it all under the rug instead of doing what a bigger man would do and apologizing.

First of all, come off that condescending/patronizing attitude, and don't scold me like I'm some sort of child. Yeah, I don't want the majority of people on this forum to think I'm an asshole, because I hate those kind of dudes, the antagonistic ones who do nothing but cause trouble. So I tried to bring it all down a notch, but for some reason beyond my comprehension, you won't let it die. A quick back-and-forth is one thing, but this arguement has been dragged out to a ridiculous degree. Whatever though.

Secondly, yeah, you're right. My first statement was meant to ruffle some feathers and elicit a response, but what's wrong with that? It wasn't a nasty statement to begin with; and furthermore, it was far more civil than some of the responses it has elicited. Also, I have no idea why all you dudes take everything I say as if it is meant in a mean-spirited way. I realize that sometimes it's hard to discern a person's attitude through text, but I've never encountered this kind of opposition anywhere else.

JohnnyNemesis
01-04-2006, 11:39 AM
First of all, come off that condescending/patronizing attitude

What you don't seem to understand is that we don't have to comply with requests like these. Sorry, but you don't define the tone OTHER people use to communicate with.

My first statement was meant to ruffle some feathers and elicit a response, but what's wrong with that?

Read his post again, and eveything he posted before that. He already explained what was wrong with it (your cowardice) about a million times already.

I've never encountered this kind of opposition anywhere else.

Stop crying.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a250/RickStallion/Miscellaneous/StopCrying.gif

young greg
01-04-2006, 11:43 AM
What you don't seem to understand is that we don't have to comply with requests like these. Sorry, but you don't define the tone OTHER people use to communicate with.

Likewise.

Read his post again, and eveything he posted before that. He already explained what was wrong with it (your cowardice) about a million times already.

cowardice, on teh internet?

Stop crying.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a250/RickStallion/Miscellaneous/StopCrying.gif

quit yer bitchin'

JohnnyNemesis
01-04-2006, 11:44 AM
Likewise.

No one's trying to define your tone...but if you ask why people are treating you like shit here, there's your answer.

cowardice, on teh internet?

A broad enough definition of it, as you've displayed here, yes.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-04-2006, 11:45 AM
The mistake you're making, NOAMR, is thinking of the mods as one body that think as one. But we're not. We're 14 individual people, and we challenge and are challenged by the other mods for our decisions. If all the mods agree, it WAS the right decision. That's it. End of story.

We're all fair. We listen to members who have a problem with what we do. If they can't make a decent case, we don't listen. That's it. If you've got a problem with it, leave. Well, stop crying, then leave.

young greg
01-04-2006, 11:48 AM
No one's trying to define your tone...but if you ask why people are treating you like shit here, there's your answer.

All you have been telling me is how to behave on the forum, what to address and what to not address, what to accept and what to let go

A broad enough definition of it, as you've displayed here, yes.

I'm here right now, participating in this discussion, addressing it as it happens. I don't get it.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-04-2006, 11:49 AM
All you have been telling me is how to behave on the forum, what to address and what to not address, what to accept and what to let go

Because we know better. We've been here longer. Trust us on this one.

JohnnyNemesis
01-04-2006, 11:49 AM
I'm here right now, participating in this discussion, addressing it as it happens. I don't get it.

Here you go then:

You can't suddenly curl up into the fetal position and act surprised that "not all the responses [you] got were polite". Your attitude in this thread has been continually amusing. First telling the moderators how to behave (with the downright hilarious suggestion that we "take note" from NOAMR) before you'd even heard the reason for closing the thread, then suddenly playing the victim and trying to sweep it all under the rug instead of doing what a bigger man would do and apologizing.

young greg
01-04-2006, 11:56 AM
I won't deny that I got defensive when my thread compelled a lot of moderators to attack my posting of it, so there you go.

I have no idea why all you dudes take everything I say as if it is meant in a mean-spirited way.

This applies to my original statement, the "take note" line, and any others I am forgetting. I'm not here to start fights, as I've stated before.

young greg
01-04-2006, 11:58 AM
Because we know better. We've been here longer. Trust us on this one.

After this thread, I do have a better understanding of the rules of this forum, especially concerning the category under which a thread is posted. I can say that much for sure.

Mota Boy
01-04-2006, 10:45 PM
First of all, come off that condescending/patronizing attitude, and don't scold me like I'm some sort of child.
In this post I'm still going to have to explain to you what you did wrong, why we still don't care whether or not your ego gets bruised and why I'm "dragging this out", despite the fact that I explained it very clearly in my last post. Given all that, I'm pretty sure I'm taking the right tone here. But if you don't like it, go ahead and do something about it! Keep telling me how I should be talking to you and maybe I'll listen. If that doesn't work, write the band. Once Dexter hears of how cruelly patronizing I've been, I'm sure he'll fix my little red wagon. The answer certainly isn't for you to roll with the light jabs I'm throwing at you or to analyze why I'm being such a big meany and work on self-improvement.

A quick back-and-forth is one thing, but this arguement has been dragged out to a ridiculous degree.
For the second time - I'm a moderator on this forum, so I feel a certain duty to respond to threads in this forum. Your first question concerning the all-important "hey" thread had been answered. Your second question about the amount of heat you caught for asking the first (more importantly, the manner in which you asked it) has also been answered, though apparently not in a manner that you have found satisfactory.

Secondly, yeah, you're right. My first statement was meant to ruffle some feathers and elicit a response, but what's wrong with that?
This is a very mind-blowing statement. In your previous post, you were scratching your head, wondering why everyone was picking on poor little you. Now you suddenly admit that your first post was confrontational, but ask why it's even an issue. Well, beyond that it's rude, and aside from the fact that it's foolish to aggressively question the decisions of people in charge when you're new to an organization and unaware of the rules, perhaps (and this is just a theory) it's the reason you've been getting "less than polite" responses. Does that help explain some things? I could write more on the subject if needed, perhaps even walking you through exactly why this is hypocritical. Remember - I'm here to help.

I realize that sometimes it's hard to discern a person's attitude through text, but I've never encountered this kind of opposition anywhere else.
Yes, it is difficult to discern attidue through text. Which is why you have to watch out for little things, such as saying "why the hell" instead of just "why". Even simple swears greatly magnify the tone of a sentence. Also, saying "damn, you mods are touchy", implying that you've already made up your mind that A) the thread was closed unfairly B) it was closed because it questioned the authority of the moderators and thus offended the mods C) that the mods have room for improvement D) that these other implications apply universally to all mods, because we apparently act on consensus. All told, it wasn't really a simple question but an accusation.

A trick to navigating the sometimes-difficult world of interpreting online text is to grow a pair and not feel the need to continually ask "Why are you hurting me?" when someone doesn't respect your feelings. I assure you, this is me being nice, and this thread is remarkably tame compared to what the internet is capable of.