PDA

View Full Version : Snakes on a Plane (in New York)!

Endymion
01-04-2006, 09:11 AM
ok, so meet-up's the weekend of the 18th of august.
right know i see the meet-up being friday afternoon/evening through sunday afternoon/evening.

who all is going?
who all is already there?
who can offer up housing?

i get the vibe that those already there don't have any bunk space, so some/all of us will have to go in for a room or whatever.

that's just what i see right now, probably will change quite a bit. everyone, offer up feedback.

Rag Doll
01-04-2006, 09:23 AM
I'm already here (a half an hour bus ride outside of NYC). I'm 90% sure I can go, as long as I'm not away for school still. And I *might* be able to take in one person, depending on how long this meet-up is.

HornyPope
01-04-2006, 09:47 AM
I won't be going on no travel tours this summer, but I just might make it for a short weekend trip in NY. It's too early for me to call, and I never plan things in advance anyways so count me as "maybe".

If I do come, I don't mind the idea of renting a house. In fact, i'll go forward with a suggestion you might want to adopt regardless of my presence : rent a cotage. Or a beach house. Or any large residence out of town. It'll cost maybe 700$ for a weekend, so split between 10 members that makes it 70$ for a three day stay. But the advantage is its huge, fit for any large party, lots of rooms to play with etc...

nieh
01-04-2006, 10:27 AM
I'll be going, but it might be more fun if we all (or at least most) stayed someplace together.

JohnnyNemesis
01-04-2006, 10:28 AM
I'll be there for at least one night, since I live here and all, but I won't be able to house anyone. Hopefully I can hang out for more than just the movie, but I have no idea what my work schedule is going to be like then.

Mota Boy
01-04-2006, 10:28 AM
Based upon my limited experience in New York, it's going to be pretty damn expensive to stay there. When hotels.com brags that it can find you rooms there starting at seventy dollars a night you know you're in trouble.

I'd suggest looking into a hostel. If enough people commit, you can book a dorm for yourself for around thirty bucks a night per person.

Paint_It_Black
01-04-2006, 10:46 AM
If you decide to go with a hotel room you may be able to find coupons that drastically lower the price. In my area we have a travel buddy that you can get from gas stations that lower prices by 30-50 percent at many hotels. Another tip would be try calling hotels at their actual location, not using a number for reservations. You have a better chance of getting the lowest possible price if you talk to an employee at the actual hotel, and also maybe try calling late at night. People working the night shift often don't really give a shit and can be talked into a lower rate easier. Also keep in mind that the first rate they tell you will almost always be much higher than what they can actually give you. The spirit of haggling is alive and well within the hospitality industry.

sKratch
01-04-2006, 11:04 AM
I'll be there. I live with my momses about 50 minutes north of NYC, and I suppose I could host a couple people.

nieh
01-04-2006, 11:04 AM
I get hotel discounts through where I work since we own a lot of names (Days Inn, Ramada, Howard Johnson, etc...). I may be able to help out with that but there might be a bit of a problem with because I might have to pay for it all up front on my own and I wouldn't be able to manage that, even if you guys paid me back when we all got there.

Sunny
01-04-2006, 11:50 AM
i'll be there, seeing as i live in New York. i agree with nieh, i wish we could all stay in one place, but i dunno. it could get pretty expensive. in any case, i can have one person stay with me (my space will be limited to a cramped studio, but it's downtown, so wooo).

Betty
01-04-2006, 02:18 PM
I really don't see how it would be that expensive (That's right! Number crunching time!)

I like Vlad's idea a lot, of a house or cottage. I wish I knew the location better as it would be easier to figure out. So let's say we did that, or let's say we got a couple adjoining hotel rooms. A low figure might be $200/night, a high figure might be $400/night (I've only perused the Internets briefly). Now, make that for two nights to start. Assuming we had 8 people going in on this, that would be $50 - $100 each for two nights accomodation. I find that to be quite affordable in the overall realm of things (compared to a $400 plane ticket) - unless of course you are totally broke. $50 = two cases of beer (yes, I often equate monetary sums to beer). There are probably cheaper and much more expensive options available as well. Advantages to the house are numerous: spacious, great for partying. Also, cooking some of our own meals would really cut down on the cost of food, which for me, would probably add up to as much, if not more, as lodging. For example, grill a few packages of burgers for $10 and feed a dozen people. A disadvantage could be the distance to downtown. But one could always make the trip and spend the day in NYC, and return late in the evening, or whatever really.

I don't know if everyone's priority is to hang out with each other and have a good time, or to spend time exploring the heart of New York City, so it kinda depends on that as well. I'd enjoy spending an afternoon and evening or two in the city, but am probably more content to hang out at a hotel/house somewhere with some booze for the night, than to go out to some fancy schmancy expensive nightclub.

The key is to plan early, to book the best deals. It's still too early to know anything for sure, but when people have a better idea of what's going on in a few months, I'd be willing to start seriously planning some of this stuff if I'm able to make it, and depending what the consensus is. If we wanted to go with Josh's hotel deal, I'd be willing to cut him a $50 (or whatever) cheque to cover my portion of the cost. We could also do the hostel thing (I'm not really familiar with cost/booking though).

Endymion
01-04-2006, 02:32 PM
i like the sounds of HP's idea, but i doubt anyone that's already in/near NY would want to pay to rent a place like that when they can just drive/bus/train/whatever from their normal place to NYC proper in a matter of minutes.

thoughts?

Sunny
01-04-2006, 02:58 PM
while renting a house/cottage sounds like fun, i do feel a little iffy about spending $200 or so at the end of the summer, when i'll most likely be broke. from what i know, renting beach houses in the NYC area is ridiculously expensive. but i'm not suree.

so far josh's idea sounds best to me, and i'd definitely be willing to pay him upfront (via paypal or whatever).

and speaking of having a place to party/drink that's not an expensive nightclub.. everyone is welcome to hang out/drink/whatever at my place.. which might not be big, but big enough for that.. and pretty conveniently located, too. :]

Anya82
01-04-2006, 03:00 PM
ugh.. a plane ticket from San Diego to NY costs 500....
i'll start saving :)

Betty
01-04-2006, 03:17 PM
Haha... good luck Anya!

Yeah, it really depends how many people are willing to do what and how much they are willing to spend. I am willing to spend a couple hundred since I am broke anyway so had might as well dig my hole a little deeper. Just got approved for a some more credit. I'm thinking I might wait a little on buying a car so that I have money to play around with for things like this.

But splitting on a decently-priced hotel downtown and hanging out at Magdalena's could be fun, as long as she's sure she's willing to put up with potentially a number of people.

Sunny
01-04-2006, 03:30 PM
for now it seems i could put up with the people that seem to be coming... without wanting to strangle anyone :P

i think the hotel option, especially with josh's discount, could work out to be quite nice. sites like this one could be helpful:

http://www.budgethotels.com/listings.php?city=NEW%20YORK,NY,US

Endymion
01-04-2006, 04:06 PM
i can mail a check to you, josh.

nieh
01-04-2006, 04:15 PM
Sounds like a decent plan. I nominate Sunny and/or Rick to pick the specific hotel we shoot for because I have no idea where anything is up there. The full list of hotels I get discounts at:

AmeriHost Inn, Days Inn, Howard Johnson, Travelodge, Knights Inn, Ramada, Super 8 Motel, Wingate Inn. According to this thing (http://216.122.149.90/TeamAdvantage/Hotel/default.asp), I can get up to 50% off depending on the place and time of year (which means I probably get like 10-20% off regularly) and we can only get two rooms (though that should be enough).

ninthlayer
01-04-2006, 04:28 PM
I've found some really decent flights from Cedar Rapids to New York ($257 roundtrip), so that frees up funds for other activities quite nicely.

What span of time are we talking about here? I'd like to arrive the day before the movie comes out (August 17th) and then stay at least a few days (depart August 21st or 22nd). This will put me in NYC for both the opening night of SoaP and my 22nd birthday (two reasons to get to fucked up drunk).

I really like the idea of renting a house/cottage for the weekend. It would, as already stated, give us a place to hang out and we wouldn't really have to worry about getting hassled about noise or anything (Per and I got a knock on the door because our television was on too loud or something absurd like that).

What's our official number now?
sKratch/Sunny/JohnnyNemesis/HornyPope/Nieh/Endy/RagDoll/Anya/Betty/Ninth
Ten? Did I miss anyone? It's good to see that so many people are showing interest in this endeavour.

Sunny
01-04-2006, 04:40 PM
thanks for the list, Josh! alright:

there's a Travelodge on E 64th street (ew! mid/uptown!)

a Days Inn near Rockefeller center (also in the 50s-60s)

a few Howard Johnson's, one of them on Houston street <3 <3 (downtown), one on 34th street, and one downtown on the wesssside. :P

and one Ramada Inn on 34th st.

so, plenty to choose from :]

Anya82
01-04-2006, 05:22 PM
for those in California: the roundtrip, from San Diego to New York is around 500 on that weekend.

and yeah, if all you new york people could give us an idea of how much do the hotels cost over there, we'd appreciate it very very much.

Endymion
01-04-2006, 05:29 PM
just a note: i like my humping like i like my martinis--dry.

(psst, just kidding)

ninthlayer
01-04-2006, 05:45 PM
Oh you straightedgers.

Endymion
01-04-2006, 05:47 PM
it's a clone high quote.

http://www.csulb.edu/~rjames/4chan/1102048937365.jpg

Rag Doll
01-04-2006, 07:39 PM
The hotel thing sounds good. And I'd be willing to get in on staying in one, even though I live nearby. It'd be fun to all hang out, and it gives all the out of towners someone else to split the cost with.

Sunny is right about the house though. For the most part, they're crazily expensive during the summer. It's worth a look, though, I guess.

sKratch
01-04-2006, 08:27 PM
This thread makes my bum tingle.

Camilamazed
01-04-2006, 08:35 PM
*Cries*

NO meet ups down here...

Little_Miss_1565
01-04-2006, 10:56 PM
I may be moving to NYC in June, so if I am, I will house a selected few.

Regardless, the HoJo on Houston is totally affordable and we can put 4 to a room (SPOONING!). I stayed there for CMJ one year and we even threw a couple hotel parties. There's also the Off-SoHo Suites near the Bowery a couple blocks from the HoJo, and if we could get like 6 or 7 people to that room it could potentially be affordable.

Also regardless, I'm totally in.

sKratch
01-04-2006, 11:04 PM
Spooning? I'm in (lol).

HornyPope
01-04-2006, 11:51 PM
I'm pretty sure there are cheaper house. Like a (modern) wooden cabin, even. How much can those be? Provided it has electricity, plumbing system, kitchen and basic furniture. Me and my friends often partied at those. The extra room it offers, the barbecue spot, the lake (if availible) really make up in the price difference, if at all.

I don't want to push my opinion beyond what I said since i'm not even confirmed to participate, but round up the numbers and compare. I'd run the search myself to back up the numbers but i'm not at all familiar with the area.
Plus most often hotels will charge you per bed, and the rooms might not be big enough to offer enough space for everyone to part...unless you want to break the group which is really gay.

Either way Nieh's initiative is also great, and i'm sure everyone appriciates the effort, which brings me to :

If you decide to go with a hotel room you may be able to find coupons that drastically lower the price. In my area we have a travel buddy that you can get from gas stations that lower prices by 30-50 percent at many hotels. Another tip would be try calling hotels at their actual location, not using a number for reservations. You have a better chance of getting the lowest possible price if you talk to an employee at the actual hotel, and also maybe try calling late at night. People working the night shift often don't really give a shit and can be talked into a lower rate easier. Also keep in mind that the first rate they tell you will almost always be much higher than what they can actually give you. The spirit of haggling is alive and well within the hospitality industry.

Well then don't be a fag and help the brothaz and sistaz out. Your idea sounds like those top 10 lists you'd read off the MSNBC site. Why not just do the extra step yourself? You're obviously the more experienced. Call up your ex-boss, ask him what's the lowest he can drop if your dear family came for a visit. Or ask a former co-worker on any current coupons the people might enjoy at particular hotels etc... It's a great hook up. It'll go a long way to help.

Betty
01-05-2006, 01:05 AM
I will put in a second vote for Vlad's idea. And we've got Sean. That's 2-3. If you are possibly interested, then say so, and I'll do some research at some point.

Little_Miss_1565
01-05-2006, 05:00 AM
I'm pretty sure there are cheaper house. Like a (modern) wooden cabin, even. How much can those be? Provided it has electricity, plumbing system, kitchen and basic furniture. Me and my friends often partied at those. The extra room it offers, the barbecue spot, the lake (if availible) really make up in the price difference, if at all.

That sounds fun, but it sounds like we'd have to go far out from the city to get such a place, which would be a problem in terms of transportation to and from, etc., from airports and what have you. Also I'm disinclined to chill at a cabin by the lake with people I met on t3h int4rw3b after seeing Cabin by the Lake....

Sunny
01-05-2006, 05:28 AM
I'm pretty sure there are cheaper house. Like a (modern) wooden cabin, even. How much can those be?

what i'm wondering about is where they would be. the only nearby places that would offer cabins/houses for rent that i can think of would be the Hamptons or the Westchester area, both of which are well out of our reach, financially.. because that's where them upper class folks have their summer homes. :P i'm sure there are nice places in wayyy upstate New York, but i have a bad feeling they'd be a long drive away.

ninthlayer
01-05-2006, 05:50 AM
So the hotel idea seems the most do-able now, albeit not as much (potential) fun. Whatevs, I'm not too worried as I'm sure any of you New Yorkers, especially you Magdalena, would just love to house me for a long weekend.

nieh
01-05-2006, 08:02 AM
Will the igloo have heat and a/c?

Betty
01-05-2006, 11:22 AM
Yeah... sounds like it would be a lot more difficult to find an affordable place like that near NYC. But according to Sarah there are some good hotels. Which can only mean more spooning.

coke_a_holic
01-05-2006, 12:21 PM
Adriann, why is it when I make fun of you for living in an igloo, you get all quiet, but you'd gladly make fun of your own ice house? </3 Also, travel a few miles down south to DC, I'll be sitting at home all summer alone. =(

wheelchairman
01-05-2006, 12:41 PM
Hey who's up for a Portland Oregon meet-up in February? Dinner will be on me. I'll be so lonely. :(

Sunny
01-05-2006, 12:44 PM
So the hotel idea seems the most do-able now, albeit not as much (potential) fun. Whatevs, I'm not too worried as I'm sure any of you New Yorkers, especially you Magdalena, would just love to house me for a long weekend.

of course. i need me some hot sean lovens. =p

Anya82
01-05-2006, 12:49 PM
Per: only if you get me a b-day cake!
hahaha :p

Endymion
01-05-2006, 01:18 PM
Hey who's up for a Portland Oregon meet-up in February? Dinner will be on me. I'll be so lonely. :(
this is a maybe!

sKratch
01-05-2006, 01:42 PM
Shhh! He's trying to counter-hijack this topic!

HornyPope
01-05-2006, 01:53 PM
I'm still unfamiliar with territory and numbers, but here's one decent match I got:

http://www.cyberrentals.com/USA/New-York/Eastern-Hampton/vacation-cottage-East-Hampton-Village/p108319.htm

East hamptons (2 hour from manhatan) 1000$ for a weekend. 3bedrooms, 2 baths... incl. internet and tv. Two miles from the beach though but oh well. I'm sure that anyone who seriously makes a search can come up with even a better deal.

All i'm saying is price is no longer much of a factor. It really comes down to preferance. So take your picks. Or sleep on it for couple of months and then decide.

wheelchairman
01-05-2006, 02:10 PM
this is a maybe!
That would be awesome. I can introduce you to exquisite Oregonian cuisine, like french fried burritos.

Anya82
01-05-2006, 02:17 PM
that house HP posted seems nice, and if we split the cost, it would be around a 100 each. But again, those who live in New York, i don't know if they're willing to pay that.

Sunny
01-05-2006, 02:24 PM
i'd pay $100, but dude. 2 hours away from Manhattan? :/

HornyPope
01-05-2006, 02:30 PM
Well I figured you/we don't have to go to Manhattan more than once, so it shouldn't be a big problem. Most of the time the group will spend together just talking and partying and surfing the BBS. I mean that's what we did in Amsterdam, and I thought it was great. Well, we did go to parks and food, but it wasn't some specific we were looking for, and i'm sure either park or food joints can be found on Long Island. Doesn't have to go downtown for that, no?

Unless you want to seek out something specific in New York.

Sunny
01-05-2006, 03:06 PM
from what I know, that area of Long Island is largely suburban.. and i have a feeling we'd need a car. even to get to a liquor store. ;p

i dunno. i mean, i live in NY. i deal with Manhattan on a daily basis, so whatever, i won't feel like i'm missing out. i was just thinking that maybe the out-of-state folks would like to experience the city with its cheap yummy food and booze and entertainment possibilities. staying outside of Manhattan is a good idea, but hours away from it? i just don't think suburban Long Island is the funnest place to be in New York state. :P but if people are happy just hanging out there, that's fine by me too.

HornyPope
01-05-2006, 03:24 PM
I figured someone will have a car. It's fucking America for crying out loud. I'd bring mine if I came.

Also the idea of visiting the city is great, but you can't do too much touristy stuff in a large group. Plus the meet-up is about the people, not visiting NYC... or that's the idea. And anyways, it could work like this: one full day is spent in downtown Manhattan, and then the night and the following day is spent at the cottage.

Sunny
01-05-2006, 03:28 PM
ah, it's a different story if someone brings a car. :]

and i wasn't thinking of doing any touristy stuff at all.. more like, good food places, hookah bars.. etc. ;p

HornyPope
01-05-2006, 03:43 PM
The hooka can be smoked in the house. We smoked Per's hooka at Bella's, mixed with hash, and it was yummi. And the food can be cooked in the house as well. And it's substentially cheaper.

But either way, that's besides the point. I propose we first wait on who's confirmed and availible, and then we wait on what ressources we have availible (cars, hookas, laptops etc), plan the budget, make a list of places to visit... and then just make the decision. If I was to come, i'm really flexible with either decision and i'll absolutly support the majority on either call.

Sunny
01-05-2006, 03:51 PM
yeah, we need to figure out how many people are actually going to come.. so we can decide on the housing option.

Endymion
01-05-2006, 03:53 PM
personally, i'm more interested in hanging out with bbs folk than seeing NYC (other than, of course, seeing SoaP).

so i'm for the cabin thing too, and if it can be split ten ways, 100 bucks for a weekend isn't bad.

Anya82
01-05-2006, 04:00 PM
i think the same way. If i go there, it's because i want to meet the people. And of course, i might want to see the city, but not more than 1 day. and if nobody wants to join me, i could do it by myself.

DirtyMagical
01-05-2006, 04:11 PM
I'm not a particularly "active" bbs member, and I'm not sure my presense would be very relevant, but New York is pretty close to me so I could make it.

Anya82
01-05-2006, 04:15 PM
i'm not everybody's friend, i don't think my presence/abscence would make a difference either (except when it comes to split costs), but i want to meet people. I think it would be fun. That's why i'm gonna start my piggybank. If i make it, great. If not, oh well.. better luck next year. :p

Betty
01-05-2006, 05:32 PM
Well I'll say personally that I think either Anya or Katelyn would be fun to have around.

And I think spending Friday evening at SoaP and most of Saturday in downtown New York is plenty for me. I am more interested in meeting people. But I'll also support the majority.

Rag Doll
01-05-2006, 07:48 PM
I don't really care where we stay or how much time we spend in NYC. I could *probably* bring my car, as well. Two hours outside the city is a bit far though. I think it might be better to be a bit closer, but hey, whatever. I'm not that picky. And $100 for a weekend would be just fine.

Anya82
01-06-2006, 11:05 AM
Well I'll say personally that I think either Anya or Katelyn would be fun to have around.
thanks, Betty.

And I think spending Friday evening at SoaP and most of Saturday in downtown New York is plenty for me. I am more interested in meeting people. But I'll also support the majority.
And.. i think the same way she does. I like that plan.

Little_Miss_1565
01-06-2006, 11:39 PM
Would there still be spooning at this cabin thing?

nieh
01-06-2006, 11:42 PM
There'll be even MORE spooning at the cabin thing.

Little_Miss_1565
01-06-2006, 11:45 PM
Huzzah! I'm in!

Endymion
01-07-2006, 12:02 AM
omg spooning!

let's ladle, baby.

Vera
01-07-2006, 12:06 AM
Jelluz. :[

Sunny
01-08-2006, 01:46 PM
bump goddammit!

Endymion
01-08-2006, 01:55 PM
i'll spoon with you too, don't worry.

ninthlayer
01-08-2006, 02:12 PM
I will NOT be out gayed by sKratch and Endymion. Johnny better be ready for:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/93/Deep_Impact_poster.jpg/230px-Deep_Impact_poster.jpg

Endymion
01-08-2006, 02:14 PM
you can't get much more gay than picking pubes out of each other's asshole with our teeth.

Little_Miss_1565
01-08-2006, 04:47 PM
omfg I am so bringing my camera.

sKratch
01-08-2006, 06:06 PM
I'll compare my pubes to 1-dimensional strings and Endy will counter that they are merely binary values. What a fag.

Anya82
01-09-2006, 01:30 PM
my turn to bump... we must keep this thread alive

nieh
01-09-2006, 01:32 PM
I'm liking the house rental idea. I really don't care about visiting the city, I've never been a huge fan of the place.

Anya82
01-09-2006, 01:33 PM
i'm with Betty. I'm interested in people, but i would like to spend a day at the city, cause.. i mean.. is not like i go to NY every weekend! :p

oh, and i like the house rental idea too.

nieh
01-09-2006, 01:37 PM
Also, I have a car, and will probably be driving up there as it's only a couple hours. So yeah, whatever.

Anya82
01-09-2006, 01:38 PM
i wish i could drive over there.... but i would need more than a weekend to get there :o :p

Rag Doll
01-09-2006, 02:38 PM
Ok, I'm definitely in. I'll be back in the states by the time SoaP comes out. woo!

nieh
01-09-2006, 03:04 PM
I dunno about you guys, but I plan on leaving NY pregnant.

ninthlayer
01-09-2006, 05:15 PM
I plan on leaving NYC a dead beat dad.

ninthlayer
01-12-2006, 04:21 AM
rockNmetalBUMPngrind

Endymion
01-12-2006, 07:10 AM
i plan on leaving NYC the proud father of two beautiful aborted fetuses.

HornyPope
01-13-2006, 08:58 AM
HAha i'm asking Sky if his parents can house us all. Mags- Is this a good idea or bad? Reply on AIM also acceptable.

nieh
02-04-2006, 09:45 PM
*Bump*

Did we ever decide for sure what we're doing with the whole housing thing?

nieh
02-04-2006, 09:53 PM
Please stop it.

Sunny
02-04-2006, 09:53 PM
HAha i'm asking Sky if his parents can house us all. Mags- Is this a good idea or bad? Reply on AIM also acceptable.

Prolly not very good. At all. I'll elaborate on AIM.

Nieh, we didn't. =/ Any thoughts?

nieh
02-04-2006, 09:57 PM
Nieh, we didn't. =/ Any thoughts?

I'm partial to the house-rental thing. I'm not sure if that'll be too much of a hassle for anyone or if anyone wants to spend more time in the city though.

Sunny
02-04-2006, 09:58 PM
How long would we rent it for? I know ninth is staying in NYC for like 5 days.. but I don't know about everybody else.

nieh
02-04-2006, 10:00 PM
I think we were originally shooting for a Friday-Sunday kinda thing. I wouldn't mind an extra day or two provided it didn't end up costing too much because I dunno if everyone else would be staying that long.

Rag Doll
02-04-2006, 10:01 PM
i'm also partial to renting a house. i don't really care for how long either...i'm up for anything, as long as i have enough notice to save the money.

Sunny
02-04-2006, 10:07 PM
What are cottage rentals like in the north Jersey area? I wonder if they're any cheaper than Long Island/Hamptons/Westchester rentals.

Rag Doll
02-04-2006, 10:09 PM
ummm...i'll check it out. for the most part, as far as i know, i don't think there are really very many summer rentals around here. most of the jersey rentals are at the shore...which can get sort of pricey and are a bit far from NYC.

Endymion
02-04-2006, 10:20 PM
the house idea is cool with me. i can probably stay a few days more than just the weekend too, so long as things are before school starts.

nieh
02-04-2006, 10:36 PM
ummm...i'll check it out. for the most part, as far as i know, i don't think there are really very many summer rentals around here. most of the jersey rentals are at the shore...which can get sort of pricey and are a bit far from NYC.

Yeah, I just tried googling stuff for North Jersey rentals and everything keeps coming up "North Wildwood, New Jersey". I can only find stuff along the shore unless you're talking renting a house for a full month...which is just no.

Rag Doll
02-04-2006, 10:40 PM
i checked too. i found some stuff up here, in highland lakes. It's around...2 hours from NYC, I'd say. In way north NJ, almost new york state. Anywhere from $700-$1200 a week (around $400ish a weekend). Most are pretty out in the middle of nowhere though. And they don't sleep too many people...i dunno how many people are considering going though. I'd say the best bet is somewhere in new york (long island, the hamptons, etc)...more options. and more stuff nearby. or the jersey shore, but that can get kinda far from nyc.

and all this stuff books up quick. so i think we should really start seriously looking and making plans.

Betty
02-04-2006, 10:46 PM
Biggest conflict so far:

http://www.icmm2006.uvic.ca/

(I'm a huge nerd, I know).

But I'd probably try and go the Thursday (if I had a place to stay).

And I agree on the early planning-ing. But it's still PRETTY early, at least in terms of monetary contributions.

nieh
02-04-2006, 10:59 PM
Biggest conflict so far:

Pfft. That thing ends the 17th. SoaP isn't until the 18th. You can do both with no trouble!

Endymion
02-04-2006, 11:01 PM
Biggest conflict so far:

(I'm a huge nerd, I know).
i love you for considering that a higher priority.

Rag Doll
02-04-2006, 11:04 PM
And I agree on the early planning-ing. But it's still PRETTY early, at least in terms of monetary contributions.

it's early....but if we're looking at some sort of beach house, either in NJ or somewhere in NY, they tend to get booked up pretty quickly. at least from past experiences they have. it depends on the area.

ninthlayer
02-05-2006, 07:22 AM
It's good to see that Sunny and I aren't the only ones still talking about this.

Anya82
02-05-2006, 10:01 AM
i could only stay weekend. I think the housing idea is great.

Betty
02-05-2006, 10:45 AM
Well, who wants to be in charge of finding a place?

ninthlayer
02-05-2006, 09:39 PM
A New Yorker, no doubt.

Betty
03-04-2006, 07:13 PM
So it's March... definitely getting closer... and definitely potentially getting close enough to make some solid plans in the near future, I think...

I'm in for sure.

Figured out my plans for the summer, etc, and the timing will work out quite well.

Since I'll be flying from Victoria, BC, I'll probably have to come Thursday, which means if we aren't renting the place that early, it would be awesome if I had somewhere to stay.

Also, which is the like, main airport for NYC, there are a whole bunch listed? Right now the flight is super cheap but it makes me kinda nervous cause prices can go up unexpectedly super high anytime.

Anybody else figured out what's going on yet?

nieh
03-19-2006, 03:25 PM
*bump*

So what's going on with this?

Betty
03-19-2006, 05:26 PM
Yeah... everybody ignored me when I bumped it...

nieh
03-19-2006, 07:42 PM
Is this going to fizzle out like the last time we tried to make a NY meet-up?

Mota Boy
03-19-2006, 07:56 PM
Also, which is the like, main airport for NYC...
New York has three main airports: LaGuardia, JFK and Newark.

nieh
03-19-2006, 08:10 PM
I don't think I even saw it when you bumped it last.

Since I'll be flying from Victoria, BC, I'll probably have to come Thursday, which means if we aren't renting the place that early, it would be awesome if I had somewhere to stay.

Also, which is the like, main airport for NYC, there are a whole bunch listed? Right now the flight is super cheap but it makes me kinda nervous cause prices can go up unexpectedly super high anytime.

As Mota said LaGuardia, JFK and Newark. Newark is technically in NJ but it's right across the water and has trains/subways going to the city if I'm not mistaken. I live just outside Philly and am probably going to be driving up to...wherever it is we're going to be staying the whole time. If you want you could get a flight from Victoria to Philly and stay here for the night and we can head up the next day. Then you can get a flight back home from NY. Not sure if that would be the best plan or not for you but it's an option.

Betty
03-19-2006, 09:15 PM
Yes, I realized that those three were the airports, so I guess more specifically what I was asking is which one I would want to fly to and why?

Flights to JFK and La Guardia are cheapest... Newark and Philly are ~ $80 more.

Josh, that could certainly be an option, obviously depending on what everybody else is doing. But I may definitely end up taking you up on it.

Anyway, if this falls through then everybody sucks. I figure I may actually be traveling farthest kilometers wise. But it's the cost that really matters. I'm planning on going home the last couple weeks of summer regardless so I still have to fly across the continent.

Rag Doll
03-19-2006, 09:23 PM
I think I remember Sunny saying she flies into JFK. So maybe that one?

nieh
03-19-2006, 09:33 PM
I think the only real reason you'd pick one over the other is location or cost, and considering we don't seem to have a place picked out yet, I'd say going with the cheapest one would probably be the best bet.

Endymion
03-19-2006, 09:53 PM
;p we could always move it to orange county... cheaper out here, yo. plus a couple friends of mine work at a hotel.

nieh
03-19-2006, 09:56 PM
But then I'd have to fly out there instead of just driving for a couple hours. That's no fun for me! Though it would be the first time out of my time zone ever.

Endymion
03-19-2006, 10:59 PM
yeah, but then *i* wouldn't have to fly and jebus could come too.

nieh
03-20-2006, 09:47 AM
I fail to see how that makes things easier for me.

nieh
03-23-2006, 01:45 PM
http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=filmNews&storyID=2006-03-23T095431Z_01_N23225917_RTRIDST_0_FILM-SNAKES-DC.XML

coke_a_holic
03-23-2006, 02:08 PM
I love how this is a real movie. I can't wait

Chris Rohan of Bethesda, Md...

Somewhat offtopic, but that's like 50 feet from my house, I live right on the border between that town and mine. :cool:

All About Eve
03-23-2006, 02:12 PM
Many people have started using Snakes on a Plane in every day usage to sort of mean 'that's life, I guess'.

nieh
03-23-2006, 06:27 PM
http://www.snakesonablog.com/swp/wp-content/uploads/2006/03/145452__snakesonaplane_l.jpg

The official logo.

0r4ng3
03-23-2006, 06:28 PM
Dibs on avatar!

Mota Boy
03-23-2006, 07:03 PM
Many people have started using Snakes on a Plane in every day usage to sort of mean 'that's life, I guess'.
I know! I try to throw it into conversation at least once a week.

0r4ng3
03-23-2006, 07:04 PM
I don't get it, how can it be used in conversation?

"Awesome, I found 20 bucks on the ground!"
"Dude, that's totally snakes on a plane!"

TheUnholyNightbringer
03-23-2006, 07:05 PM
Naw, when someone says something like "Dude, I just broke my leg" and you shrug and say "Snakes on a plane" instead of "thats life". I can totally picture it.

0r4ng3
03-23-2006, 07:05 PM
So, it's basically what I said, but for bad occasions? Okay, I think I get it now.

All About Eve
03-23-2006, 07:09 PM
C'est La Vie (spelling?) now directly translates to snakes on a plane.

0r4ng3
03-23-2006, 07:12 PM
C'est = Snakes
La = on
Vie = a Plane

It all makes sense now.

All About Eve
03-23-2006, 07:17 PM
We finally have a use for French!

Ninty Man
03-23-2006, 07:19 PM
I dont live in NY... but I will go to watch it definitely...

Endymion
03-23-2006, 09:06 PM
http://www.snakesonablog.com/swp/wp-content/uploads/2006/03/145452__snakesonaplane_l.jpg

The official logo.
oh my dear lord. my entire life has been but prelude to this movie.

HornyPope
03-24-2006, 03:44 AM
I'm wondering if we could compete for most-fans-brought-to-the-premiere-from-an-off-topic-forum. We should like totaly notify the snakesonablog blogger guy. And make history!

Vera
03-24-2006, 04:25 AM
That logo is INSANE. Love it.

Strangely enough, the first thing I thought when I heard about this film (right after "...WHOA.") was "I can't wait to see the Indian version."

Sunny
03-24-2006, 07:49 AM

ohhh my goddd sahashadfgjngd

i think i just came in my pants a little!

Endymion
03-24-2006, 08:53 AM
i think i just came in my pants a little!
i came in your pants a bit too!

this movie is so unusual. without the internet it would have been the biggest flop since Rain Man 2: Rain Harder, but the way it's turning into a singular phenomena i wouldn't be surprised if it's the top grossing film of 2006.

he fucking throws an armfull of snakes out the door of a plane as it's flying over the ocean! he says "Enough is enough, I've had it with these snakes." and "We've got mother fuckin' snakes!" (they recently added footage, including that line)!

oops, i think i just messed sunny's pants a bit more =/

Vera
03-24-2006, 09:11 AM
Why are you wearing her pants?!

Give them to me. Now.

JohnnyNemesis
03-24-2006, 09:17 AM
this movie is so unusual. without the internet it would have been the biggest flop since Rain Man 2: Rain Harder, but the way it's turning into a singular phenomena i wouldn't be surprised if it's the top grossing film of 2006.

I've been thinking the same thing for so long. This seems like it's almost catered to us cynical, silly webgeeks.

And that image? Oh holy mother of fuck, I'magonna plotz. PLOTZ!

nieh
03-24-2006, 04:08 PM
This is certainly a unique twist on the title concept. One naively assumes that by "on the plane," the filmmakers mean to imply that the snakes are in fact *in* the plane, using the preposition "on" colloquially, to mean "on board." (The implied title seemed to be SNAKES ON [BOARD] A PLANE.)

Judging from the logo, I rushed to judgment. Those snakes are totally on that motherfucking plane. Damn.

Stole that from another forum, which they stole from someplace else. It made me laugh.

All About Eve
03-24-2006, 04:11 PM
Stole that from another forum, which they stole from someplace else. It made me laugh.

And if they complain, and want it back, well, snakes on a plane.

0r4ng3
03-24-2006, 04:52 PM
Snakes, indeed.

HornyPope
03-25-2006, 04:45 AM
i came in your pants a bit too!

he fucking throws an armfull of snakes out the door of a plane as it's flying over the ocean! he says "Enough is enough, I've had it with these snakes." and "We've got mother fuckin' snakes!" (they recently added footage, including that line)!

Correction: the actual phrase is "Get these motherfucking snakes off my motherfucking plane"
Reuters (http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=filmNews&storyID=2006-03-23T095431Z_01_N23225917_RTRIDST_0_FILM-SNAKES-DC.XML)

And to the fans among you who haven't seen this piece yet, I present thee hockey with Jules Winnfield (http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2669692). Fucking snakes.

Endymion
03-25-2006, 09:56 AM
Correction: the actual phrase is "Get these motherfucking snakes off my motherfucking plane"
i was lied to :(

*shrug* snakes on a plane.

Lithuanian Offspring
03-25-2006, 12:11 PM
ok, so meet-up's the weekend of the 18th of august.
right know i see the meet-up being friday afternoon/evening through sunday afternoon/evening.

who all is going?
who all is already there?
who can offer up housing?

i get the vibe that those already there don't have any bunk space, so some/all of us will have to go in for a room or whatever.

that's just what i see right now, probably will change quite a bit. everyone, offer up feedback.
Sleep on the street/bench, or you can just not sleep for the time that you are there.

Endymion
03-25-2006, 12:48 PM
Sleep on the street/bench, or you can just not sleep for the time that you are there.
the issue isn't sleeping, it's sleeping with.

ninthlayer
03-26-2006, 04:22 AM
Or "Oh Jesus, how many people am I expected to sleep with?"

0r4ng3
03-27-2006, 01:39 PM
During my daily webcomic run, this is the only one I really laughed at. With good reason, too.

http://yirmumah.djcoffman.com/strips/llama20060327.gif

JohnnyNemesis
03-27-2006, 01:44 PM
That one gets a 7/10 from me. Good shit.

Andy
03-27-2006, 01:54 PM
I really can't comprehend this film will ever exist. It's like aliens or ghosts: I'll only accept it when I see it.

nieh
03-31-2006, 02:39 PM
Sooooo.....about the whole meet-up thing. Where are we doing this? Where are we staying? You're all fucking slackers.

Endymion
03-31-2006, 03:27 PM
i don't know. those lazy new yorkers are suppose to be finding a place. were it in OC, i'd have a place lined up already...

nieh
03-31-2006, 03:30 PM
Would this place be cheap and/or free?

Endymion
04-01-2006, 12:19 AM
i can get a discount at the marriott 'cause a friend works there... and my van's pretty big.

Little_Miss_1565
04-01-2006, 10:05 AM
Dear motherfuckers,

I'm moving to Brooklyn in June. Might be able to put a few of you up, depending on who I'm living with.

Love,
'65.

Betty
04-01-2006, 01:14 PM
Hey Josh, you live kinda close, sounds like an awesome job for you!!!

No, but seriously, I wish I could help more, I'd be all over this stuff, I am just absolutely clueless regarding the area. I'll try and help plan when it comes to smaller details though.

Also, I was thinking, we're gonna have to figure out a way to get tickets to this movie before it sells out because it's reached the level of total cult phenomenon.

Little_Miss_1565
04-01-2006, 01:19 PM
Also, I was thinking, we're gonna have to figure out a way to get tickets to this movie before it sells out because it's reached the level of total cult phenomenon.

fandango.com?

Endymion
04-01-2006, 01:33 PM
hey, we don't need a place to sleep! someone get some tents and we'll sleep in line outside the theater.

nieh
04-02-2006, 12:23 PM
i can get a discount at the marriott 'cause a friend works there... and my van's pretty big.

A flight out there would cost me between $300-350 it looks like so the discount better be pretty awesome...plus more people would have to agree to switch it to CA instead of NY.

Hey Josh, you live kinda close, sounds like an awesome job for you!!!

No, but seriously, I wish I could help more, I'd be all over this stuff, I am just absolutely clueless regarding the area. I'll try and help plan when it comes to smaller details though.

I don't know anything about NY state. Hell, I barely know anything about north Jersey. I'll see if I can do some digging, but I don't expect to find anything that well.

How many people here are actually still interested in this? It seems like just the four of us now. Are we looking into the house idea or are we going to go for the hotel? And how long is the meet-up going to last?

Little_Miss_1565
04-02-2006, 12:27 PM
No one wants to sleep on my floor? That is, providing I can find myself an apartment...

Betty
04-02-2006, 02:08 PM
People who seemed relatively interested:
Michelle
Josh
Sam
Sunny
Sarah
Ryan
Stephan
Sean

People who expressed some interest, but nothing too serious:
Ricky
Anya
Katelyn
Vlad

And there could always be more who jump in at a later date since they don't know exactly what they're doing yet.

Soooooo... I don't know. The whole point of it being in NYC was because so many people lived close to there. I'd just as easily go to Cali or rent a cottage here in Ontario.

I don't know if anybody is in the perfect position to organize stuff, cause even those who live in the heart of NYC like Magdalena have only lived there a few years, etc. If nobody figures shit out I could do some more serious research when school's over in a couple of weeks... but it's gonna take some real planning at some point and somebody's gonna have to take the lead.

Ooohh, also I was thinking, I know I don't advertise it as much, but I'm probably about 30 - 50% as much of a drunk as Thibault, which is saying a lot, and I'll be 22, so umm... somebody's really gonna have to indulge me in that, this may quite possibly have to be Sean for the drunken birthday weekend extravaganza.

nieh
04-02-2006, 07:01 PM
Alright. I'll see if I can find some stuff sometime tomorrow. I took some Benadryl just a little bit ago and it always does weird things to me. It's better than sneezing all night though.

Also, I don't drink, so I don't know if I'd be able to grace you with my presence if you go out to the bars (though I might end up going along just for the fun of it).

T-6005
04-02-2006, 07:02 PM
I'm probably about 30 - 50% as much of a drunk as Thibault, which is saying a lot
I'm a measureable reference now?

And I very much doubt you are. Maybe 10%.

Betty
04-02-2006, 07:21 PM
^^ Yeah, I know Josh, that's precisely what I was thinking when I made that comment.

And Thi, I don't know about 10%, I think that's a bit low. I have quite the reputation amongst my peers (not that that's necessarily a good thing), I just rarely come online drunk.

T-6005
04-02-2006, 08:16 PM
^^ Yeah, I know Josh, that's precisely what I was thinking when I made that comment.

And Thi, I don't know about 10%, I think that's a bit low. I have quite the reputation amongst my peers (not that that's necessarily a good thing), I just rarely come online drunk.
You must be very good.

Let's find out, shall we?

Betty
04-02-2006, 08:39 PM
Hey, it's not a competition!

But save up the $$.

ninthlayer
04-03-2006, 06:16 AM
"Relatively interested" my dick, I've just already secured lodging.

Vera
05-02-2006, 03:30 AM
Hey, check it:

http://www.journalfen.net/userpic/87583/8634

ninthlayer
05-02-2006, 04:48 AM
That's pro.

kamikaze
05-02-2006, 05:29 AM
Hey, can I come? :D

Little_Miss_1565
05-02-2006, 08:01 AM
Hey, check it:

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT

Tizzalicious
05-02-2006, 08:05 AM
That's awesome.

0r4ng3
05-02-2006, 03:26 PM
Holy shit, that's hilarious.

Rag Doll
05-08-2006, 08:49 PM
Tuesday on Ellen, Samuel L. Jackson is going to be on with a clip from the movie...in case anyone is interested. Get local listings here (http://ellen.warnerbros.com/showinfo/whenitson.html)

sKratch
05-09-2006, 08:12 AM
Boo on me for not reading this until 10:45, 45 minutes too late :[

Rag Doll
05-09-2006, 08:33 AM
he talked about why he says "we got muthafuckin snakes on a muthafuckin plane" (i think thats how the line goes)....because people wanted him to say his "favorite movie word" (muthafuckin). and the creators wanted to change the title because the current title "gives too much away"...and he wouldn't let them, because it's a great title and he signed on to the movie because of the title. ummm. yeah. the clip (that i saw) was him talking to other people on the plane, telling them to stick together. and they showed one of the snakes on the plane. it might be repeated sometime later tonight or in the next week on one of the cable channels. *shrug*

Vera
05-10-2006, 01:48 AM
Hi kids,

Let's assume for a moment that I'll be working continuosly throughout the summer and not get fired for fucking up something or coming in late or anything. And let's assume all my money doesn't get blown out on Bollywood and TV show DVDs. And let's assume I actually have quite a bit of money by the end of July or so, and it's enough to get me a ticket to NY & back.

lawlz can i cum?

Seriously, though, no promises, no guarantees, it's just a thought I'm kind of playing with right now. I want to travel (read: not be stuck in Finland ALL summer), I've always wanted to go to NY, I'll finally have serious money, would have a place there, would get to go see this orgasmic upcoming film with y'all & all kinds of other fun.

Um. So yeah.

ninthlayer
05-10-2006, 03:14 AM
You can sleep in my pants.

Vera
05-10-2006, 03:35 AM
(insert comment about not minding hard surfaces)

Sunny
05-10-2006, 02:23 PM
do cum! weeeeo!

JohnnyNemesis
05-10-2006, 03:00 PM
Sunny: Read PMs.

ninthlayer: Lose undergarments.

he talked about why he says "we got muthafuckin snakes on a muthafuckin plane" (i think thats how the line goes)....because people wanted him to say his "favorite movie word" (muthafuckin). and the creators wanted to change the title because the current title "gives too much away"...and he wouldn't let them, because it's a great title and he signed on to the movie because of the title. ummm. yeah. the clip (that i saw) was him talking to other people on the plane, telling them to stick together. and they showed one of the snakes on the plane. it might be repeated sometime later tonight or in the next week on one of the cable channels. *shrug*
Oh holy god, this is all too good to be true.

0r4ng3
05-10-2006, 03:05 PM
I know it's only from earlier in this page, but it just has to be reposted.

Jebus
05-10-2006, 03:34 PM
ytmnd whoring time!
http://planesnakes.ytmnd.com/
http://snakeburger.ytmnd.com/

more (http://ytmnd.com/list/?search=snakes)

Vera
05-11-2006, 01:53 AM
do cum! weeeeo!
I just realized that each one of my paychecks will be around 400 to 500 euros and I get paid twice a month so the ~1,000 euro flights are not completely impossible for me to arrange. What will be more difficult is getting 5-6 days consecutive days off work in August but if I bring up the topic in July, maybe I can talk them into becoming possible.

Stay at your place? Or are you fully booked?

killer_queen
05-11-2006, 02:23 AM
Vera, forget NY, it will cost a lot. Come to Istanbul.

ninthlayer
05-11-2006, 02:35 AM
ninthlayer: Lose undergarments.
Undergarments stay on, I'm married. But I will shave my legs.

Sunny
05-11-2006, 04:59 PM
I just realized that each one of my paychecks will be around 400 to 500 euros and I get paid twice a month so the ~1,000 euro flights are not completely impossible for me to arrange. What will be more difficult is getting 5-6 days consecutive days off work in August but if I bring up the topic in July, maybe I can talk them into becoming possible.

Stay at your place? Or are you fully booked?

well, that depends on whether you would mind sleeping on the floor (sleeping bags and all, of course.. (my place is too small to accomodate an additional couch =/) and/or sharing said floor space with mr. ninth ;p

but if you don't mind, we'd love to have you. we can have crazy polish/finnish/irish/-whatever sean is - orgies.

weeeo!

Vera
05-12-2006, 12:44 AM
I don't think I'd mind. Because omg, I want to meet you & your Mr & your guinea pig and dude, NEW YORK.

Of course, in 5 days no way can I get the full NYC experience but just being there, doing awesome stuff with y'all should be enough. I will probably have a change to come back at some point in my life & then I can make the time to visit the Metro museum or some other tourist shit if I want to.

Shame I'll be le underage in the US, though.

Sunny
05-12-2006, 09:26 AM
..and our dog. :D we have a baby! but we keep him in his crate at night so he won't bother you.

yo, we're not going to the MET. fuck the MET. i had to go there like 90456834509 times during my freshman year. but! we can go to Museum of Modern Art which kicks ass.. and the Whitney.. and the Guggenheim. they're quite funz.

we can even go to times square and youll be like WTF THIS IS BULLSHIT. yey!

Vera
05-12-2006, 09:31 AM
Is Times Square overhyped or something? But yeah, those sound like cool places to go to. Whoo, NY!

Of course, if I do come I may have to go see a certain Bolly-film that comes out in August. It was actually filmed in New York, too, so it'd be fantabulous to see it in New York itself.

ninthlayer
06-01-2006, 02:03 AM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b46/penguinfites/roflbump.jpg

Sunny
06-01-2006, 02:17 AM
i saw a soap movie poster the other day in a theater and was like ZOMG!

check your pms.

ninthlayer
06-01-2006, 02:18 AM
I saw one in the theatre when I went to see X3. Needless to say, it is now the background on my cell phone.

HornyPope
06-01-2006, 02:19 AM
Oh and i'll make it official now that I definatly won't be able to come. So meh.

Sunny
06-01-2006, 02:24 AM
how was x3? i heard from people that it was painful. the posters looked hot though. >_>

vlad - :(

i hope you'll be able to make it to new york sometime this year though?

ninthlayer
06-01-2006, 02:24 AM
LFG SnakesOnAPlane

HornyPope
06-01-2006, 02:44 AM
vlad - :(

I will. Sometimes in the autumn, maybe.

ninthlayer
06-01-2006, 02:45 AM
how was x3?
I liked it a lot. And it had the GODDAMN JUGGERNAUT in it.

Izie
06-01-2006, 04:09 AM

You'd better be including me into that one :p

Nina
06-01-2006, 06:36 AM
I heard that everytime there is a preview of SOAP in the theatres, the crowd cheers like crazy. MAN. This movie is going to be so big, only for the fact that it's so ridiculous.

nieh
06-01-2006, 07:09 AM
This needs to stay bumped to the first screen so I remember to check for houses/hotels when I get home.

Rag Doll
06-01-2006, 07:45 AM
I heard that everytime there is a preview of SOAP in the theatres, the crowd cheers like crazy. MAN. This movie is going to be so big, only for the fact that it's so ridiculous.

yeah. it's a little crazy. happened when i saw x3.

oh...and if this happens, i need to know asap. cause i need to get off from work *now* (well, before june 30) and i'm already short on cash.

Sunny
06-01-2006, 10:18 AM
You'd better be including me into that one :p

le duh!!1 =p

Izie
06-01-2006, 10:24 AM
Non-replying-on-AIM-little-wankette :(

but yay! <333

nieh
06-01-2006, 06:32 PM
Ok, I'm finding lots of places that are anywhere between 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours away from NYC but none that are actually in/around NYC. I have no problem with the distance myself provided I'm not going to have to drive it often during the week. So if we do stay at one of these places and someone wants to spend a lot of time in NYC they'd have to find someone else to drive them =/ What are everyone else's feelings on this? How many people are going? 7-8ish?
Here's links to some of the places:

http://www.beachhouse.com/5346.htm
http://www.beachhouse.com/6718.htm
http://www.beachhouse.com/5347.htm
http://www.beachhouse.com/5348.htm (about 1 1/2 hours away. Pretty cheap too, 875-975 per week it says)
http://www.beachhouse.com/6259.htm
http://www.beachhouse.com/4250.htm
http://www.beachhouse.com/10109.htm

Endymion
06-02-2006, 12:07 AM
it looks doubtful that i can make it now. there's chance, but it is slim. basically, if i want to graduate in a year's time, i had to take a bunch of summer classes now. thus, i'm fucked for traveling time.

Vera
06-02-2006, 12:53 AM
Uhm, if I do come I'd want to meet all you guys but also stay in New York. I've never been so I want to make the most of the 5+ days I'd be spending there. I figure it'd just fucking rock so hard - I wouldn't mind quitting my job if it turns out they can't give me enough days off.

Betty
06-02-2006, 01:53 AM
So it turns out that pretty much everyone I actually talk to online is probably not gonna make it. Boo to that, everybody sucks.

Lots of kickass people are still going, I just don't know them very well, so it could be a little weirder. I don't know how cliquey I should expect things to be or what.

Here's my dilemma. I had intended to come regardless. But I have a conference that ends the 17th, and I should probably stay in Victoria until the end. Thus I would have to leave the 18th, and with 3 hour time change, etc. I don't know how early I could make it to New York. Last time I checked there was a flight arriving at 5PM so I don't know if that would give me enough time to still meet up with people and catch SOAP. Plus, I will have lots of luggage, as I will be traveling for a few weeks. Thoughts?

I still like the idea of a house as far as the meetup goes. It would be the most fun to get to know everyone and party and stuff. If we stick to New York, the alternative is sleeping at peoples' places and/or getting hotel rooms, in which case my concern is not really getting a chance to see people since everybody will be split and also not really having anywhere to stay since I don't know that many people too well.

Sunny
06-02-2006, 03:33 AM
i'm not cliquey at all *clings to sanni's and sean's legs*

betty, if you arrive at 5, you probably won't make it to manhattan before 7, considering rush hour traffic and the airport areas always being ridiculous in that respect.

Rag Doll
06-02-2006, 05:03 AM
if we were to get hotel rooms, we could all get them in one hotel and just hang out in one room until everyone goes to sleep. it wouldnt really be *too* different from a house. and depending on how many people are planning to go....it might be a better idea now, financially.

Endymion
06-02-2006, 06:18 AM
i'm totally open for something in OC/LA, if anyone wants to drop by. i can probably shack someone on my fold-out sofa for a couple nights too, if that's needed.

or jebus and i can hook up finally. your mommy needs to stop sucking, i'm not going to butt rape you.

Little_Miss_1565
06-02-2006, 07:39 AM
I don't get paid very well at work and I"ve got to get me a weekends/evening job, so I'd be more likely to show up and chill when I can than to stay the whole time with y'alls.

JohnnyNemesis
06-02-2006, 07:59 AM
If I show up at all, it'll be in a capacity similar to what 1565 just mentioned.

Sunny
06-02-2006, 12:29 PM
i'm leaning more towards the hotel idea, personally..

HornyPope
06-08-2006, 11:56 AM
What we learned from Amsterdam is the best setting for a meet-up is a spacious room to host all the members to sit and socialise and then few extra rooms for bedrooms and a little get-away time. Hence the cottage idea. It's not that all members have to sleep there, but there has to be some financial arrangement so that those who do sleep there, ergo responsible for the rent, have the means to afford such a place for everyone.

But if you guys are only 6 people, a hotel room should suit you fine logistcs-wise. Look at maybe Bed and breakfasts (in Brooklyn maybe?) Typically those are townhouses split to accomodate 2-3 guest parties with each his own bedroom and a collective living room. If you rent it all together, you can take over the whole house. Otherwise, some inexpensive hotel suite should do fine.

That's just my opinion based on what I learned in meeting y'all. Lolz im a meet-up slut.

Jakebert
06-08-2006, 01:26 PM
Speaking of Snakes on a Plane, there was a SOAP reference on the Colbert Report last night. He was talking about how some people got arrested for trying to smuggle an endangered species of frog onto a plane for some reason.

0r4ng3
06-08-2006, 01:35 PM
"I am tired of these muthafuckin' FROGS!"

Yeah, I saw the rerun this morning.

Betty
06-08-2006, 08:33 PM
Yeah, but you're a loser and aren't coming Vlad (but I agree).

Also, are we actually down to 6? Oh boy... I am becoming more and more skeptical.

HornyPope
06-08-2006, 10:38 PM
It's very common in life that reality doens't meet the enthusiasm.

Sunny
06-08-2006, 10:41 PM
So it happens.

I'll still be happy to hang out with everyone who actually makes it here.

as for Vlad's bed&breakfast idea, I know a really nice one in Brooklyn, if anyone's interested. i'm not sure how expensive it is, but it's right where i live. =p

http://www.bbnyc.com/

Sunny
06-08-2006, 10:49 PM
ah. $155-$300.

Vera
06-08-2006, 11:12 PM
Am I included in that six?

Either way, I just found out that I'm working SO LITTLE during the second half of June (bitching work schedulers!!) but ehh, I hope I'll still make a few hundred so I can save up for the trip.

Betty
06-08-2006, 11:18 PM
I want to go, I just don't want it to be all "oh, well we all already live in NY so we're all just gonna go home and ditch you" (can you feel the skepticism??). It would be awesome if you made it Sanni, we could be touristey together.

We should decide though what we want to do.

Oh, and I don't know about the B&B Magdalena... because those are still only one room, but really fancy. If we're doing hotels, we should probably go cheaper and get two adjoining largish rooms, I was thinking. That would be plenty of space to hangout, and surely enough to sleep for those wanting to crash.

???

Rag Doll
06-08-2006, 11:25 PM
I agree with Michelle about getting cheaper hotel rooms. Cause if there aren't many people going/spending the night...the less expensive, the better.

As for the whole "we live here" thing...I, personally, have no desire to get a bus or find someone to drive me back to Jersey every night, unless necessary.

HornyPope
06-08-2006, 11:28 PM
The six figure is just an estimate. Don't quote me on it. I counted like Sunny, Michelle, Sam, Josh, Ricky and Ninth among them who are like still commited to come. I didn't count Vera and 1565 because they had just recently expressed doubts on the situation. But seriously, I don't know. It was just a number I threw out.

And concerning B&B, their premise is they aren't expensive. I have memories of one that was split in two with each person a room and as shared living room. So if ya'll got around and rented it, you have quite a space for everything. But again, that's just an idea. I haven't information except from my own memory of five years ago.

Betty
06-08-2006, 11:35 PM
Yeah, I assumed it was an estimate Vlad, but it's still lowish compared to say, 12. I remember Stephan had wanted to come (and he had better!) but he hasn't chimed in in a while.

Umm... but that's still alright. 6-8 is plenty enough for a party. And personally, I kinda really want an excuse to go to New York for the weekend before flying home to see my family, and SoaP plus awesome people seems like a good enough excuse for me.

But then, pardon me if I'm kinda a planning fanatic, but it'll be far and somewhat costly, so I'd like to know what's going on. I'm tempted to even buy a ticket in the nearish future before prices soar. And we might want to even rent a place in the nearish future for those same reasons.

Soooo... WHO is for sure willing to chip in for rooms?

Betty
06-09-2006, 01:04 AM
Okay, more questions... and I want some answers...

1. Who's willing to chip in? Will you be able to pay in advance? Possibly in the near future?
2. What days do we need a place? Friday and Saturday, yes. Thursday? Sunday?
3. Where do we want to stay?

I found some pretty decent places and I figure if we can get a consensus I can call 'em up and inquire and possibly book the weekend. And other ideas of places are welcome, but we should come to a real consensus and not just keep saying "yeah, maybe." Cause I want a place to stay so I don't mind booking it.

I don't really know about locations, so the New Yorkers will have to make the call on that one. But they seem in the city enough-ish.

http://www.nyhabitat.com/new-york-apartment/vacation/5708

Available August 12-20 currently... super cute photos... 2 bedrooms, $200/day.

http://www.nyhabitat.com/new-york-apartment/vacation/4557

$400/day... sleeps 6... looks super nice... Soho?

http://www.nyhabitat.com/new-york-apartment/vacation/4177

Another $400/day...

http://www.nyhabitat.com/new-york-apartment/vacation/523

$250.

http://www.nyhabitat.com/new-york-apartment/vacation/11510

I just think these are great. Like staying at somebody's apartment for the weekend. Anyway, there are a bunch on the site, but with different prices and availabilities, I think I got most of them. But I can seriously call 'em up this weekend or next week if people think it's a good idea.

Little_Miss_1565
06-09-2006, 07:37 AM
Whoa, Manhattan is WAY expensive. Is there any of that business in Brooklyn? Though I'll have my own apt so I won't be pitching in...

Betty
06-10-2006, 09:42 PM
Screw that.

Sunny
06-11-2006, 04:38 AM
Whoa, Manhattan is WAY expensive. Is there any of that business in Brooklyn? Though I'll have my own apt so I won't be pitching in...

my guess is that most stuff like that would be in brooklyn heights/the slope, and as such.. well.. not much cheaper.

any luck finding a place yet? :]

Sunny
06-11-2006, 05:06 AM
Perhaps renting a place that sleeps 3 instead of 6 (michelle, sam, josh) instead would make more sense. it still would have enough room for people to hang out, and would cost considerably less. i doubt that we need a 2-3 bedroom to party and do things of dubious legality.. do we?

Betty
06-11-2006, 01:38 PM
That would be cool too, I guess I just assumed there would be more people wanting to sleep... but perhaps I am miscalculating. There were lots of 2-3 people places on the site as well...

But to me $200/day for 3 days seems pretty reasonable... cheaper than a hotel anyway ???

Umm... so Sarah is NOT pitching in... so far nobody else has made any comments... it's super hard to plan when nobody says anything. You can just say "Michelle, this isn't really serious anymore and nobody's really coming, so don't bother trying to find a place" if you wish, but then at least it would be clear.

Sunny
06-11-2006, 01:51 PM
so far nobody else has made any comments... it's super hard to plan when nobody says anything.

?

From what i gather, Sean is definitely coming, and he is staying with me.
If Sanni gets her lovely finnbutt over here, i would also love to have her stay at my place.
Sarah will obviously be here (that being said, i'm not surprised she's not pitching in, because paying NYC rent really makes people not so willing to pay for a hotel) I'm hoping Ricky also stops by to say hi2u.

so that's hopefully 5 including me.

it is also my understanding that Sam and Josh are interested in coming up here. so, 7? 8 counting you?

Betty
06-11-2006, 02:09 PM
Thanks Magdalena... I guess that was pretty much what I had in mind, but it's nice to have it clarified. Like, I wasn't sure if people were actually staying at your place the whole time or if people were wanting to crash in one place or what. And if some people are making the trip and getting a hotel, if people were willing to pitch in for its use or not. I guess the impression I'm getting is that things will be pretty mellow if everybody's planning on traveling to their own separate homes every night... I'm not sure how the subway system works and its hours and whatnot. All I know is that Friday I slept on some boy's couch because the buses weren't running and it was too far too walk home and a cab was too expensive. So I'm not sure what everybody's mentality is.

And so if it's Sam and Josh and I only that are getting a hotel, then I would be interested in their opinions about cost/location/quality/etc. And Stephan, is he still in on this?

Sunny
06-11-2006, 02:22 PM
the nyc subway runs all night. there aren't many trains at like.. 3 am.. but they do come every 20 mins or so. i don't ride buses much (luckily..), but my experience is that they run all night too, so that's pretty nice.

Betty
06-11-2006, 02:28 PM
That's quite helpful indeed.

Maybe we could try and find a place close to yours, if that's where half the people will be.

Sunny
06-11-2006, 02:40 PM
i live in park slope, and from what i've seen, there are some b&b's here (like the one i linked you to earlier).. but not many hotels. manhattan is probably your best bet for that.

i've heard union square inn and murray hill inn are cheap.. not sure how nice they are, though. hmm.

Betty
06-11-2006, 03:16 PM
Yeah, I was looking at the website for that earlier.

They sound reasonable to me... I've stayed at some pretty bad hotels... it doesn't really matter as long as they're not totally ghetto/cockroach infested.

http://www.nyinns.com/group.html

Vera
06-11-2006, 11:39 PM
I could ship in on the hotel thing but if there's a possibility to lodge at Sunny's (be it on the floor), I'll definitely lodge at her place because my budget is limited and I'm paying thousand euros for flights etc.

Also, turns out all my internet friends from miles away (well, there's this one girl who lives around Boston or something) would want to meet me should I come to NY so I might take a day off hanging out with them instead of you guys.

Little_Miss_1565
06-12-2006, 07:24 PM
my guess is that most stuff like that would be in brooklyn heights/the slope, and as such.. well.. not much cheaper.

any luck finding a place yet? :]

Prospect Heights, yo! Though apparently just into the more crappy part of it. Oh well. It's a place!

Sunny
06-13-2006, 04:15 AM
and it's still prospect heights =p are you near any subways?

ninthlayer
07-14-2006, 07:43 PM
Welcome to the reality of August 2006
I'll arrive via aircraft:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b46/penguinfites/e6bbef4a.jpg

We'll go to the theater for motherfucking SNAKES:
http://www.defamer.com/hollywood/snakesonaplane2-s.jpg

Hang out with a black guy:
http://myspace-879.vo.llnwd.net/00925/97/80/925560879_l.jpg

And then cry ourselves to sleep every night:
http://myspace-782.vo.llnwd.net/00326/28/70/326380782_l.jpg

That's all that we'll remember because we'll be quite inebriated the rest of the time. Holler.

sKratch
07-14-2006, 07:49 PM
I hope to at least be able to see the movie with you nigletts.

ninthlayer
07-14-2006, 08:07 PM
And perform fellatio on me, correct?

Little_Miss_1565
07-14-2006, 09:00 PM
Hey, what's up with the lack of a certain four-digit number in them pictures.

ninthlayer
07-14-2006, 09:05 PM
Betty and Nieh aren't in them either (but Tizz is there for some reason), so don't feel too bad.

Betty
07-14-2006, 10:33 PM
Who wants to hang out/nap with me Friday at 7AM?

Yeah... didn't think so...

JohnnyNemesis
07-15-2006, 12:21 AM
Oh my fuck, the inclusion of bd007h's picture overflows with win.

Endymion
07-15-2006, 01:05 PM
Who wants to hang out/nap with me Friday at 7AM?
*raises hand enthusiastically*