PDA

View Full Version : Which Offspring Album is The Best? (Nostalgia Debate)

wheelchairman
01-05-2006, 12:36 PM
There are some rules to this thread:

1. You don't talk about this thread.
2. You don't talk about this thread. (lawlz cuz fight club humor is still funny)
3. You can only be taken seriously if you've posted here 3 years ago or earlier.
4. Preferably if you were from the Americana board and posted frequently in Albums & Songs.
5. You have to vote Ignition, because that's what we all did.

So what's your favorite offspring album? I voted ignition because that was before they really sold out in Americana, and still true to their indie label punk roots (as opposed to Ixnay). And some of their songs are really deep. I saw a teacher cry to Dirty Magic once.

Tizzalicious
01-05-2006, 12:38 PM
Ignition of course.

Anya82
01-05-2006, 12:42 PM
3. You can only be taken seriously if you've posted here 3 years ago or earlier.
4. Preferably if you were from the Americana board and posted frequently in Albums & Songs.
hey! why can't i be taken seriously? :(
Per.. that just breaks my heart.... </3

wheelchairman
01-05-2006, 12:43 PM
hey! why can't i be taken seriously? :(
Per.. that just breaks my heart.... </3
It's a nostalgia thread. I'm sorry, adios muchacha.

nieh
01-05-2006, 12:44 PM
Ignition = #1
Ixnay and Americana are about tied for #2. So what if they have pop songs? They're not BAD pop songs. People just hated them because they weren't 'punk'. Those are the only three albums of theirs that I still occasionally enjoy listening to. Smash is boring and all sounds the same aside from the title track which I still think is pretty awesome. S/t and Co1 are...alright but nothing special. And Splinter is Splinter.

the_GoDdEsS
01-05-2006, 12:44 PM
This is kinda unexpected but at the same time funny. Ignition and Ixnay used to be my favourites.

wheelchairman
01-05-2006, 12:45 PM
On one hand, Smash is like the song of my life. I'm not a trendy asshole! And that album is very witty, their humor really comes through.

Izie
01-05-2006, 12:45 PM
This is... Odd. But amusing :)

Anya82
01-05-2006, 12:51 PM
It's a nostalgia thread. I'm sorry, adios muchacha.
*runs in tears and shuts the door behind*

wheelchairman
01-05-2006, 12:53 PM
This is... Odd. But amusing :)

lawlz post somewhere else u noob! hahah stupid goddamn dumbshit motherfucker :D:D:D

Izie
01-05-2006, 12:56 PM
Stop being silly and tell your girlfriend not to post silly stuff that has to be edited in your topic in tour talk. Pff.

Tizzalicious
01-05-2006, 12:59 PM
:(

I never say silly stuff. Per is the stupid one.

XYlophonetreeZ
01-05-2006, 01:03 PM
Pfft only n00bz talk about teh Offspring.

Oh yeah, and I voted for Ixnay. :-/

Sunny
01-05-2006, 01:03 PM
ignition and americana.

Vera
01-05-2006, 01:10 PM
I'm one of those oddballs who despite the shitty hit songs still considers Americana one of Offspring's best. Also, Ignition. And Smash is pretty cool, also.

wheelchairman
01-05-2006, 01:24 PM
I actually like Americana the best. Back then I didn't though.

the_offsprings_monkey
01-05-2006, 01:32 PM
I actually like Americana the best. Back then I didn't though.
Good taste, I love the style and sound of Americana.

0r4ng3
01-05-2006, 07:39 PM
Can you still be taken seriously even if you've been a fan for 3 years, despite not posting on the boards? No? Fine, I didn't want to be here anyway...

Paint_It_Black
01-05-2006, 07:45 PM
Ignition is probably the best, though actually the least listened to for me. I highly enjoyed Americana, Ixnay and self titled. I was amazed at the sudden drop in quality on C01, and then shocked at the total crap that was Splinter. It appears that as my taste improved, their quality went in the other direction. This meant that I quite quickly went from being "their biggest fan" to not being able to stand them.

T-6005
01-05-2006, 08:35 PM
I've lurked on the boards for at leats 3 years, so I consider myself entitled, even if I never posted on the white board but talked in the chat.

To be honest, I like all of The Offspring in a nostalgic manner. It's too bad that their lyrics are witty. It really is.

I personally believe that The Offspring aren't stupid guys, but deserve the wit that some of the more intelligent members of this board are willing to concede.

Stupid fans get in the way of that. I'd almost believe that The Offspring's recent albums aren't a pop effort (seeing as they haven't been commercial successes) but more of an effort to distill fans into "the offspring" sound through the different stages of the band-slash the evolution.

Of course, I'm teh drunk.

Mota Boy
01-05-2006, 08:51 PM
It's difficult. S/t is obviously the most punk - that's the CD that seperates all the posers from the real punks. However, I think that on Ignition The Offspring really mastered their punk sound without selling out like they started to do on Smash, a process they finally completed with that crappy sell-out pop music stinkfest that was Americana.

Hopefully they'll realize just how crappy pop music is and go back to real rawk.

Jerslan
01-05-2006, 10:10 PM
Honestly I like Splinter over all the others. Sure it was short and it may be "Poppier" than most punk purists woud like, but its still a damn good album. I especially enjoyed Spare Me the Details since it had a more acoustic sound to it. I like bands who aren't afraid to try out new sounds and work them into their style.

Since that wasn't an option my vote was tied between Smash and Americana. Since the poll was set up with check boxes I voted for both (not sure if it took both though). I only voted for Americana because "The Kids Aren't Allright" is freakin awesome and so is "She's Got Issues". Other than those two songs, Smash was definitely a superior album.

sKratch
01-05-2006, 11:02 PM
Pshaw I don't care how much they "sold out" on Smash. It was much more mature-sounding to me than ignition and actually had good music on it. I don't feel like processing enough thought to make a better reply right now. Oh and wcm. WRONG FORUM ASSHOLE.

Nina
01-06-2006, 03:22 AM
Pshaw I don't care how much they "sold out" on Smash. It was much more mature-sounding to me than ignition and actually had good music on it.

That's just what I wanted to say.
But Ignition is still great, so I voted for that as well. And I voted before I read Per's post. Strange.

Lars
01-06-2006, 03:36 AM
lawlz post somewhere else u noob! hahah stupid goddamn dumbshit motherfucker :D:D:D
No more hope for better days!!

Vera
01-06-2006, 04:07 AM
Splinter is ace, yeah. It has some songs that are too repeatitive punkrock-style for me to actually like (The Noose, for example and Da Hui just blows) but some songs I actually prefer over a LOT of Offspring songs. Can't Get My Head Around You is one of absolute top Offspring songs ever. And that ..what was it, Race Against Myself? Cool song.

And haha, seriously, selling out? That's one of those things I've noticed that only matters a lot in the punkrock genre and still people like sell-out bands as well as "non-sellouts". It has very little to do with anything.

HeadAroundU
01-06-2006, 04:47 AM
Since nobody voted for S/T my nostalgic vote goes here. :(

I like them all from S/T to Splinter and can't wait for another.

Nicole
01-06-2006, 09:48 PM
Ignition reminds me of this board while Smash reminds me of my friends, past and present as that album seems turn up at least a couple of times a year. Those two albums have the most nostalgia attatched to them so they get my vote.

wheelchairman
01-07-2006, 11:01 AM
Splinter is ace, yeah. It has some songs that are too repeatitive punkrock-style for me to actually like (The Noose, for example and Da Hui just blows) but some songs I actually prefer over a LOT of Offspring songs. Can't Get My Head Around You is one of absolute top Offspring songs ever. And that ..what was it, Race Against Myself? Cool song.

And haha, seriously, selling out? That's one of those things I've noticed that only matters a lot in the punkrock genre and still people like sell-out bands as well as "non-sellouts". It has very little to do with anything.
I really don't think much of splinter. Da Hui is god awful. Neocon is extremely cheesy. That don't pick up the soap thing is *not* funny. The few good songs are really good though. As opposed to Conspiracy of One, which was just crap with the exception of 2 or 3 songs.

Little_Miss_1565
01-07-2006, 11:04 AM
Lolz, I just listened to Ignition like 100,000,000 times on all the flights I was on this week. Guess what I voted for?

darko
01-07-2006, 11:10 AM
i used to post on the americana board, so i guess i'm also entitled. voted Ignition. used to listen to it all the time...think i've worn out the CD

BATWT
01-07-2006, 01:15 PM
I voted Ixnay - I feel that the eclectic mix of styles makes it a truly killer CD, and I'm disobedient. Ignition is a very very close second though.

And yes, I was posting here 3 years ago.

Little_Miss_1565
01-07-2006, 01:48 PM
I\a process they finally completed with that crappy sell-out pop music stinkfest that was Americana.

eff yoooou, I <3 Americana!

ruroken
01-07-2006, 03:40 PM
This thread sucks.
Ignition.
I'm new.

ninthlayer
01-07-2006, 09:07 PM
My favorite Offspring album is Vulgar Display of Power, because the Offspring wrote every song ever written.

BREAK
01-07-2006, 10:24 PM
Ixnay is their most solid album, with only a couple of lousy melodies stinking up an otherwise fun, diverse (by this band's standards, at any rate), catchy collection of songs. Ignition would definitely by a career high if not for the dull stretch in the middle. S/T is probably more musically creative than anything else they've done, but terribly amateurish. Americana is a couple of their best songs ever surrounded by filler. Smash is a handful of GREAT songs surrounded by filler. Conspiracy of One has a couple of good songs, but the rest of it is garbage. I haven't heard Splinter.

blind
01-08-2006, 06:20 AM
i like ignition

Mota Boy
01-08-2006, 10:16 AM
Pshaw I don't care how much they "sold out" on Smash.

Sarcasm, peoples! Since when can you have a valid retro-Offspring album discussion without a serious argument about how much the band has sold out?

SaiKYoU
01-08-2006, 10:17 AM
americana!

Drum Goddess
01-08-2006, 10:28 AM
i used to post on the americana board, so i guess i'm also entitled. voted Ignition. used to listen to it all the time...think i've worn out the CD
yeah I'm going to get a new copy of Ignition and Ixnay today. Ignition is funny, cuz the cd's so messed up that the beginning of session is all screwed up and it sound funny.

Vera
01-08-2006, 10:32 AM
Sarcasm, peoples! Since when can you have a valid retro-Offspring album discussion without a serious argument about how much the band has sold out?
I should've known there's no tiny punk elitist Fat Mike in you.

XYlophonetreeZ
01-08-2006, 01:12 PM
Ixnay is their most solid album, with only a couple of lousy melodies stinking up an otherwise fun, diverse (by this band's standards, at any rate), catchy collection of songs. Ignition would definitely by a career high if not for the dull stretch in the middle. S/T is probably more musically creative than anything else they've done, but terribly amateurish. Americana is a couple of their best songs ever surrounded by filler. Smash is a handful of GREAT songs surrounded by filler. Conspiracy of One has a couple of good songs, but the rest of it is garbage. I haven't heard Splinter.
Splinter makes Co1 sound like a masterpiece. If you must choose to listen to it, don't spend any money on it.

That wasn't entirely fair because I kinda like Co1. I think I like it better than Smash. I really dig the couple of songs that go outside of the Offspring's usual comfort zone, like Living in Chaos and Denial Revisited.

Vera
01-09-2006, 12:49 AM
Co1 is too produced. I used to defend it but it really lacks something that's essential to Offspring IMO, those gritty guitar sounds etc.

arak0r
01-09-2006, 12:57 AM
ignition. americana had maybe 2 good songs on it. pay the man was came out of nowhere and smashed me over the head.

the only song i like from co1, is come out swinging. the rest is meh.