PDA

View Full Version : riddle of the dwarves.

kami_mathieu
01-06-2006, 05:15 AM
the colourfull dwarves riddle:

in a dark forrest in a far a way land live about 400 highly inteligent dwarves, they all look alike but they are different from eachother becouse of the fact that they either wear a blue or a red hat. there are 250 dwarves with a red hat and 150 dwarves with a blue one.

each dwarve doesn't know what collour hat he or she is wearing, all they know is that there is at least one dwarve with a red hat.

at sertain times a year the dwarves throw a party where at the start all dwarves are present, only the party is meant to be for blue hatted dwarves only. the dwarves dont want to be rude and throw red dwarves out but they have agread whith eachother that when a red hatted dwarve finds out he has a red hat he will never come to the party again.

now the question is, how manny partys will it take to clear all red hats from the party?
-
-
-
this one is a lot easier then the pirate riddle a weak or so back so there must be someone who can solve this bitch within 5 pages (after 5 pages I will give the answer)

you must be able to explain why the answer you gave is correct.

enjoy.

Sin Studly
01-06-2006, 05:23 AM
You're an idiot.

kami_mathieu
01-06-2006, 05:30 AM
care to explain why? I don't remember ever talking to you.

notoriousdoc
01-06-2006, 09:59 AM
^Makes sense

5 pages, Maria's ass

nieh
01-06-2006, 10:38 AM
At the 250th part, oh jesus if I'm a red-hat, then I see 249 red-hats! The total number of blue-hats I can see is still 150!!! Then I must be a red-hat.

I'm not coming at th 251st party.

But this reasoning goes for all red-hats!

So none red-hatted dwarf is coming at the 251st party. At the 251st party the blue-hatted dwarves are rid of the red-hatted dwarves.

they can DANCE!!!

Made sense up until here. Given the fact that they don't know the total amount of anything, there's no way they would figure out that they are wearing a red hat. They'll see 150 blue hats and not have a problem with that and they'll see 249 red hats and not see a problem with that. Unless of course they assume that there's an even number of each color (250 and 150 as opposed to 249 and 151) in which case if they all follow that logic it would only take one party for all the red hats to figure it out.

They're really not 'highly intelligent' though if they don't know what color hat they're wearing.

nieh
01-06-2006, 11:02 AM
There's no reason why the 250th party would bring anything new to their attention. There's no reason why the 250th party is any different from the 3rd party or the 249th party. You can't solve a riddle by just saying "and then they suddenly had an epiphone and realized that they had a red hat!" Also, with the logic you're using, there's no reason why people in the BLUE hats wouldn't assume that they were wearing a red hat as well.

The Talking Pie
01-06-2006, 11:02 AM
Or you could be a blue-hat, given no one knows the total number of hats of any given colour...

nieh
01-06-2006, 11:39 AM
blast. You may have figured it out.

nieh
01-06-2006, 11:43 AM
I thought I did, but now you've made me uneasy. & mathieu who's not online! the suspense is killing me. you shouldn't post a riddle & then vanish for a whole day, it's not fair.

Your last explanation didn't sound anything at all like the first one you gave. The first one didn't make sense.

Endymion
01-06-2006, 11:56 AM
and what of a blue hat who is worried he might be a red?

BATWT
01-06-2006, 11:57 AM
I'd say the answer is probably quantum.

nieh
01-06-2006, 12:04 PM
and what of a blue hat who is worried he might be a red?

They would all probably be worried that they're red, but none of them would actually stop going to the parties until they were sure. Basically, all the red hats disappear 1 party before the blue hats would be sure they were red, because they see one more red hat than the dwarves with the red hats do.

BATWT
01-06-2006, 12:05 PM
I'm suprised my contribution even amounted to 0.

The Talking Pie
01-06-2006, 12:05 PM
Wouldn't every blue-hat see (and thus think) exactly the same as the red-hats? So on the final meeting, no one at all shows up.

EDIT: Just read nieh's post. Damnit.

nieh
01-06-2006, 12:06 PM
Wouldn't every blue-hat see (and thus think) exactly the same as the red-hats? So on the final meeting, no one at all shows up.

No. The blue hats would see one more red hat than the red hats would. So they have 1 extra party before they're sure it's them.

The Talking Pie
01-06-2006, 12:09 PM
the talking-pie : stage 1 = read the explanations thoroughly.
stage 2 = don't pull a BATWT
1) I did. Completely. And I agreed. Until...
2) I asked the same Endy asked. And your answer to his question made very little sense. As did your initial explanation of the whole process.

The Talking Pie
01-06-2006, 12:18 PM
Maria, doesn't the fact that the vast bulk of this thread thus far has been dedicated to trying to figure out what you said on the first page tell you anything?

Anyway, I'm not trying to pretend I didn't make a stupid mistake. As I posted what I said I was thinking "well, the blues would see one extra red, but oh well", and sure, I didn't realise until I was reviewing my post quite what the implications of that were, but when dealing with a riddle of logic like this, labelling someone who makes a small mistake whilst along the right lines while the majority of replies (had no one answered it so early on) would have been completely wrong and an insult to logic in such terms seems just a tiny bit overkill, don't you think?

BATWT
01-06-2006, 12:19 PM
I think I've made a friend.

Endymion
01-06-2006, 02:25 PM
They would all probably be worried that they're red, but none of them would actually stop going to the parties until they were sure. Basically, all the red hats disappear 1 party before the blue hats would be sure they were red, because they see one more red hat than the dwarves with the red hats do.
i know, i'm just worried about those poor blue hats going through all the heart-ache and woe thinking they might be a smelly old red hat.

riddles like this are funky because they involve assuming linear, logical thinking from being with free will.

HornyPope
01-06-2006, 02:47 PM
care to explain why? I don't remember ever talking to you.

Don't worry about him. He's just trying to catch up for the lost time.

And Justin, don't fucking troll.

HornyPope
01-06-2006, 03:22 PM
Uhh I just reminded you to keep the chat off the photo album, but you're welcome.

kami_mathieu
01-07-2006, 03:58 AM
sorry for the spelling mistakes, and wow that whas fast. duskygrin solved it right away. I'll be searching the web for a more difficult one and will post it here in a week or so.

kami_mathieu
01-07-2006, 04:06 AM
I'm a bit tyred right now so I don't realy feel like typing out the right answer in english, but here it is in dutch (so either someone dutch can translate it, or you could run it trough a translator). but the answer of 250 parties was correct.

Het antwoord is: na 250 dagen zijn er geen kabouters met rode mutsjes meer op het feest.

Het eenvoudigste is om eerst uit te gaan van de situatie waarin er maar 1 kabouter is met een rood mutsje. In dat geval komt deze kabouter de eerste dag op het feest en ziet geen enkel rood mutsje. Omdat hij weet dat er tenminste 1 kabouter met een rood mutsje moet zijn, weet hij dus dat hijzelf een rood mutsje moet hebben. Kortom, de volgende dag komt hij niet meer op het feest.

Als er twee kabouters met een rood mutsje zijn, zien deze op de eerste dag ieder 1 kabouter met een rood mutsje. Ze weten dat als deze kabouter de volgende dag niet meer verschijnt, hij de enige geweest moet zijn. Komt hij wel terug, dan hebben ze dus blijkbaar allebei een rood mutsje. Na 2 dagen komen ze dus niet meer op het feest terug.

De situatie waarin er 250 rode mutsjes zijn is identiek, alleen duurt het nu 250 dagen voordat al de kabouters met een rood mutsje kunnen concluderen dat ze een rood mutsje hebben.

kami_mathieu
01-07-2006, 04:11 AM
great idea, I'll open it right now oh smart solver of riddles.

Sin Studly
01-07-2006, 04:15 AM
And Justin, don't fucking troll.

Don't be a Jew.