PDA

View Full Version : Music Videos

Twinkle
01-06-2006, 10:22 PM
Have you noticed an increase in meaningful music videos? Not just the same old cliche video focused on the band that doesn't really tell a story. For example, Untitled by Simple Plan. It tells the story of a girl who is hit by a drunken driver. She ends up dying, and you see the effect on her family, as well as on the driver who goes to jail. Guaranteed to make you cry, plus in the end, the band arranged to have a MADD advertisement.. Also, two war videos stand out as they're made by more popular bands, which garners attention to the issue of war. Wake Me Up When September Ends by Green Day shows a young couple in love who are separated by war. You see the boyfriend in the war zone, and the girl at her home, almost like she knows he is definitely not coming back. At the end, you get the sense he dies, but it isn't shown, which is a longer lasting effect. Then there is Ghost of You by My Chemical Romance. It recreates D-Day, showing the young soldiers with their significant others. This video incorporates the band as soldiers, and it makes for a great video that leaves you satisfied with the recreation of D-Day in only 3 minutes.

I'm sure there are others, but those are the three that stuck out in my mind. Have you seen any that stick in your mind as meaningful videos?

Endymion
01-06-2006, 10:29 PM
it's an attempt to pretend they're not media lap dogs.

Twinkle
01-06-2006, 10:35 PM
It might be, but those videos still make a difference. Especially Untitled. I hate to admit, but I cry when I watch it. Imagine the few seconds right before you die, knowing you're going to die. It's sad, and thats why I cry, especially because I'm empathetic. Another video that I thought of was Metallica's One. I think it was One, but it has footage from Johnny Get Your Gun, a guy whose arms, legs, and face gets blown away in war, but he is still alive. He wants the doctors to kill him, and tells them by Morse Code, but they don't kill him. He's kind of in a living hell, and it really touched me. I'm a sucker for emotional things. :(

Cejus
01-07-2006, 03:05 AM
I'm a music video freak! I don't like those simple videos, with just the band playing on them. Here are some videos you should download and check out:

(they're mostly not political or social videos, but they're great and very original, tho):

- Beatsteaks - Hello Joe (This video makes me cry :( )
- Korn - Freak on a leash
- Metallica - Turn the page (it's about a prostitute's life)
- Moby - Why does my heart feel so bad
- A-Ha - Take on me
- Natalie Imbruglia - Shiver
- Green Day - Jesus of Suburbia
- Good Charlotte - Hold on (about suicide, makes me cry, too :( )

And those are some funny videos, as a bonus:

- Foo Fighters - Learn to fly
- Rem - Bad day

arak0r
01-07-2006, 03:08 AM
that aha video is fucking gold

peko
01-07-2006, 03:22 AM
I don't watch very many music videos, but I thought the Green Day one was terrible.

killer_queen
01-07-2006, 03:24 AM
that aha video is fucking gold
I agree. Also, Moby's Natural Blues' video is awesome. And you must see Sepultra's Rattamahata.

the_GoDdEsS
01-07-2006, 03:25 AM
I haven't seen any music video for exactly 9 months. And somehow I lost interest.

Yatesy
01-07-2006, 03:33 AM
And you must see Sepultra's Rattamahata.

That video is crazy. I can't really say I pay attention to videos as I really just watch them for the song really.

Paint_It_Black
01-07-2006, 03:48 AM
I generally dislike music videos. Especially the ones that try hard to be meaningful. I usually only like ones that are visually interesting, such as RHCP's Californication. The best music video ever was for Hurt by Johnny Cash. Oh so meaningful, without being fake.

Camilamazed
01-07-2006, 07:07 AM
And somehow I lost interest.

The videos are not good anymore. I mean. Wake me up for instance. A song about BJ's father and transformed into a romantic song. Simple Plan, My chemical romance etc only make sad videos with people dying and crying.....

I miss videos from bands like Beastie Boys and Blink 182 which made very fun videos.....

Intergalatic is epic hehehe

Kerr
01-07-2006, 07:12 AM
Music videos tend to be very boring and uninteresting now, I have downloaded many by bands I like and I have been very disappointed.

T-6005
01-07-2006, 08:04 AM
My favorite music videos have been Chevelle's. Especially The Red. There's a great job of showing tension done in that one.

Megs
01-07-2006, 08:06 AM
one video i saw recently was Korn's here to stay it's kinda weird, especially the ending, when the kid sort of gets sucked into the tv. it definately made me think a bit when i first saw it.

BATWT
01-07-2006, 08:15 AM
I believe that the increase in meaningful, heartfelt music videos has a direct correlation to the increase of meaningful, heartfelt emo fucks. We are in the middle of an emo takeover, and the companies know that so they're appealing to the majority of the people who watch music television. And if you add onto that the fact that the bands that made videos which were entertaining and had good humour, have either changed style or split up then you can appreciate the lack of such videos on the market.

Some of these videos are good, however, so good they take your mind off the song (My Chemical Romance videos especially).

Megs
01-07-2006, 08:17 AM
the video to helena bly MCR is just bloody depressing!

BATWT
01-07-2006, 08:22 AM
Depressing maybe, but well made. I can't stand MCR and alike, but I really admire the videos.

honey
01-07-2006, 10:03 AM
For funny videos, I like to watch Bowling For Soup.

For serious videos, there aren't any bands that ONLY provide those kind.

I think lyrics are more important than videos anyway. When a band has shitty lyrics that don't make any sense at all, I'll never think they're a good band. Some bands always have meaningful lyrics, and automatically those are the bands I like most.

nieh
01-07-2006, 10:32 AM
it's an attempt to pretend they're not media lap dogs.

Agreed. The vast majority of bands that make 'meaningful' videos are just trying to get a director to help them compensate for the fact that they're not worthwhile to listen to on their own.

I think lyrics are more important than videos anyway. When a band has shitty lyrics that don't make any sense at all, I'll never think they're a good band. Some bands always have meaningful lyrics, and automatically those are the bands I like most.

Lyrics are more often than not the last thing that I listen to. I'm more focused on how things SOUND and what musical ideas they come up with. That's not to say that lyrics can't make or break a song because they can, but that's normally not the case.

Paint_It_Black
01-07-2006, 10:38 AM
Lyrics are more often than not the last thing that I listen to. I'm more focused on how things SOUND and what musical ideas they come up with. That's not to say that lyrics can't make or break a song because they can, but that's normally not the case.

Agreed. I'll mention Red Hot Chili Peppers again, because they're a good example. I often love their sound, then discover the lyrics seem rather meaningless. A GREAT song generally needs to have both a great sound and great lyrics, for me anyway.

honey
01-07-2006, 10:54 AM
Of course the music is most important. After that, the voice, cos that'll create the final sound. Wow, that was a weird sentence. Anyway, I was just talking about videos and lyrics, and why I think videos aren't as important as the lyrics. In fact, I don't think music videos are important at all.

coke_a_holic
01-07-2006, 11:00 AM
I listen to music like this: first I listen to the voice/lead instruments, then the rythm instruments, then the lyrics themselves. Unless it's a band with really easy to understand lyrics (i.e Jimi Hendrix), I usually don't even think about them until I've listened to the song a few times.

honey
01-07-2006, 11:01 AM
Videos are last on everyone's list.

Still I think lyrics can totally fuck up a song.

coke_a_holic
01-07-2006, 11:06 AM
I think lyrics are only important for when they're completely strange against a song's nature. This can be done well, on a cd I recently got, they play a beach boys-esque song with lyrics about commiting suicide. I found it hilarious to say the least. Lyrics aren't as important as having something playing a lead role in my opinion, I don't want to listen to rythm the entire time with nothing getting my attention.

Twinkle
01-07-2006, 03:26 PM
Yeah, Cejus, I definitely agree with Metallica's Turn the Page.

Ahhh...the humor videos. I love those! Actually, I'm not really a big Simple Plan fan, but I'm Just a Kid is great, except it is based on a humorous movie. And Bowling for Soup is hilarious, along with that Foo Fighters Learn to Fly video.

T-6005, I agree with the Chevelle comment.

As for music videos actually being important, I don't think they really matter much. Lyrics vs. Sounds, I choose sounds, but I occasionally listen to lyrics, and base my judgements on those.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-08-2006, 03:06 PM
Best music video ever is Big Me by the Foo Fighters. The Footos one.