PDA

View Full Version : Offspring sounding bands

tkum
01-06-2006, 11:52 PM
i could not think of a title that does the meaning of this thread justice so ill explain what i mean,

Sometimes i hear a band that will have the same "essance" as offspring. i mean this in a way that they, dont have a singer who sounds like dexter or use the same chord progression i mean, the essance or mood that the song creates.

two examples of this i feel is offpsrings smash album, it seems to me to feel like some Nivana and some Silverchair,

annyone else know bands that give off the same "essance" as the offspring?

JohnnyNemesis
01-06-2006, 11:54 PM
What you're talking about is way too subjective and abstract. It ultimately comes down to opinion, like all music does, but something as abstract as "essence" makes it so that it's hard enough for us to even understand what you're asking, much less agree and be able to provide input.

Also, this is in the wrong forum.

tkum
01-06-2006, 11:57 PM
What you're talking about is way too subjective and abstract. It ultimately comes down to opinion, like all music does, but something as abstract as "essence" makes it so that it's hard enough for us to even understand what you're asking, much less agree and be able to provide input.
the opinions is all i want, i just want to know the bands people relate to the offspring, in terms off the reaction or the emotive responce from the music (i dont mean like, it makes me wanna slit wrists or lick lolly pops in the sunshine emotions)

Also, this is in the wrong forum.
um, what forums should of it been in, i thought this was a general question

edit* ok other bands section, done

Apathy
01-07-2006, 05:09 PM
Everyone is going to have a different opinion, so this doesn't work very well. The Offspring remind me of The Vandals though. Millencolin and Lagwagon too most of the time.

0r4ng3
01-07-2006, 07:10 PM
Yeah, I think The Offspring are like The Vandals, except The Offspring don't pull off joke songs as well. They also remind me of Bad Religion. Some songs off of Smash and Ixnay on the Hombre are very similar to Stranger than Fiction and The Gray Race.

Apathy
01-07-2006, 09:56 PM
Yeah, I think The Offspring are like The Vandals, except The Offspring don't pull off joke songs as well. They also remind me of Bad Religion. Some songs off of Smash and Ixnay on the Hombre are very similar to Stranger than Fiction and The Gray Race.

I think that they pull off joke songs well. The only problem is, they don't have very many of them, so when they do one, everyone gets all spastic and misinterprets it for a real song. Like When You're In Prison. I thought it was actually quite funny, but so many people took it serious and got all bitchy about how it's not a classic offspring song.

edit: plus, the vandals have more experience.. Like every other song they write is a joke song.

Jakebert
01-07-2006, 10:06 PM
When You're in Prison shouldn't have been an actual track. It took up space on an already too short album. Maybe as a bonus track it would have been ok.

coke_a_holic
01-07-2006, 10:53 PM
Here's a list of bands that sound similar (if not almost identical) musically to the Offspring in my opinion:

Lagwagon
Bad Religion
Guttermouth
Pennywise
Bouncing Souls
the Vandals
Millencolin
(earlier) Green Day

0r4ng3
01-07-2006, 11:04 PM
I've heard earlier Green Day, and I don't think they sound like earlier Green Day.

coke_a_holic
01-07-2006, 11:10 PM
I mean Dookie-era, not their first couple of cds. I think Kerplunk and 1,039 destroy most things in the pop-punk genre.

XYlophonetreeZ
01-08-2006, 04:02 AM
The only guy I've ever heard that sounds anything like Dexter is one of the singers (I'm not sure which one) of the Bouncing Souls.

Vera
01-08-2006, 04:14 AM
Most American punkrock-bands sound like The Offspring to a certain extent in my ears.