PDA

View Full Version : would you date someone if...

acgc2002
12-05-2004, 07:05 AM
I would like to know if someone who has a completely different taste ( for instance, you like rock and the girl or guy you are interested likes Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake and etc´s)... is it a reason for you to lose lust in the person???

I confess that this breaks the chain completely. I never went out or dated guys who had a completey different music taste from mine... I lose lust... interest... crazy, huh?

And you????

wheelchairman
12-05-2004, 07:27 AM
I don't think it would really bother me all that much. Despite the fact that I generally try to force people to listen to my music.

acgc2002
12-05-2004, 07:29 AM
and how far you manage to succeed???
:D

TheUnholyNightbringer
12-05-2004, 07:32 AM
I think I would, to a certain extent. Not pure rappers or teenie boppers or whatever, but if someone has a watered down or slightly different musical taste to yours, it makes for interesting conversation/debate. If someone has the exact same musical taste as you, that's an entire area of conversation basically gone.

acgc2002
12-05-2004, 07:36 AM
it can also be the person has a similar or a slightly different taste, that is aceptable.
but funk, rap, and depending on the techno... only styles... gets a bit impossible to stand.
Of course nobody is equal but to date a maniac hip hop trendy fashioned someone... I simply hate hip hop. I would hate every time we went to a disco or to a party where only that boring music was playing non stop.

acgc2002
12-05-2004, 07:37 AM
Further than you, you stupid motherfucking beaner.

I was talking to the guy above you.

TheUnholyNightbringer
12-05-2004, 07:38 AM
That's true. There's also trouble when deciding where to go, on dates and stuff. Couldn't go anywhere music related, seeing as the styles are so opposed - so inherently one person has to have a bad time.

the_GoDdEsS
12-05-2004, 08:19 AM
It wouldn't matter to me all that much. I'm pretty much open to all genres of music. And even if it was something I could not listen to at all, I'd still be okay with it as long as the other person does not force me to listen to his music.

MirandaV
12-05-2004, 08:59 AM
I don't give a shit.

nieh
12-05-2004, 09:03 AM
it would give us something to make fun of each other for, of course I would date them. We'd take turns making each other miserable by popping in our cd's in the car. It would be magical.

MirandaV
12-05-2004, 09:18 AM
I would take time to see what he likes in his music, would be great if he did the same by me.

Obie2trice
12-05-2004, 09:34 AM
Kissed a girl yesterday who likes britney, but I don`t care, she likes my music taste too :)

Naz
12-05-2004, 09:50 AM
My ex didnt really kow any of the music I was into. Then he started being a twat and trying to be an even bigger fan than me of the bands i liked. I hated that he liked exactly the same stuff as me.

But he was just an idiot in general. Dont date idiots people, its bad!

Eccentric Sara
12-05-2004, 10:08 AM
It wouldn't really bother me,as long as we got on well and could have a good time together. I like most genres of music anyway,so I am pretty tolerant of other ppl's musical tastes. :) Why miss out on or jeopardize a potentially great relationship just because you like different types of music?

Nina
12-05-2004, 10:17 AM
it would bother me. music means a lot to me and
surrounds my everyday life. if the person i want
to go out with listens to music i cannot stand AT
ALL (which is not just "anything except rock"...i
do like some pop myself) i couldnt really survive
that. i also believe that the music a person listens
to says a lot about his character...if he only listened
to rap and called me "hot momma", i'd know instantly
that we dont match.

Subsidal
12-05-2004, 10:41 AM
I used to be together with someone who was totally into schranz (kind of techno) what I really don't like & also I was together with one who liked hip hop. It wasn't that I lost lust in the person, I just recognized that we don't have much in common. You see, music isn't just a taste, it's a feeling & if someone listens to something completely different, it's another feeling

Kayleigh
12-05-2004, 10:42 AM
It depends what sort of music they listened to. So, if they only to Justin Timberlake and Britney, it wouldn't bother me so much, because I don't find that sort of music particularly bad, but if they only listened to drum and bass, that would be a bit different.
It would also depend how important music was to them, and if they could stand the music I listened to.

Naz
12-05-2004, 02:48 PM
I dont think you HAVE to like the same stuff, just be acceptive of eachothers tastes.

nitropenguin!
12-05-2004, 02:57 PM
My ex liked Indian music... lol so no I don't mind going out with someone with different tastes. Just as long as they're sweet and can make me laugh.

Chris
12-05-2004, 03:15 PM
some crossover at least would be nice (more the better really) but at the end of the day, being able to appreciate other kinds of music is almost as good as sharing a common interest

ThrashedThrasher
12-05-2004, 03:46 PM
My ex listened to pop,rap and fuckin' country. Oh my god the arguments we got in over that shit he calls music. I can't get along with people that don't have the same musical taste as me. It's something that needs to be relative to mine when in a relationship. Otherwise I clash with the guy I'm with.

Revolver-2005?
12-05-2004, 03:48 PM
the kind of music someone listens to gives u a big ass clue bout their personality...so id try to look for someone with similar tastes

ninth
12-05-2004, 06:54 PM
the kind of music someone listens to gives u a big ass clue bout their personality...so id try to look for someone with similar tastes

You're wrong.

Anyway, my girlfriend listens to grunge and I've never been a fan of that genre. I always tell her about Kurt Cobain committing suicide while laughing. If anything, our differences in preference creates conversation. She's also a liberal and I'm conservative, so differences don't really matter that much if you're not shallow.

Anya82
12-05-2004, 07:58 PM
i'm also open-minded. So, music taste is not important for me in a relationship. I think there are more important things to deal with. I also like different kind of music

GreenTerror
12-05-2004, 08:11 PM
I would like to know if someone who has a completely different taste ( for instance, you like rock and the girl or guy you are interested likes Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake and etc´s)... is it a reason for you to lose lust in the person???

I confess that this breaks the chain completely. I never went out or dated guys who had a completey different music taste from mine... I lose lust... interest... crazy, huh?

And you????

NO, I woulden't even try. Even if everything elese about him was perfect. And I truely mean that.

DirtyMagical
12-05-2004, 10:02 PM
I have... and I probably would again.

4eh
12-06-2004, 06:23 AM
i think, that music is one of the biggest part of my life, so my dater can listen what she wants, but she wouldn't talk about how Britney (for example) all the time, and music wouldn't be that thing that i'll be talking to her.

... my reason: may be!

2DM: menya, menya :p :D

T-6005
12-06-2004, 06:33 AM
Sure, as long as I don't mind the music, it shouldn't matter.

Actually, I can listen to almost anything, I just end up twitching uncomfortably sometimes.

Oh, and I'd never date a Death Metal girl.... too annoying, I think.

Only kidding.

Vera
12-06-2004, 06:43 AM
I probably couldn't date someone who was into heavy metal. Anything else is fine, really. But heavy metal. Ugh.

Or Finnish rap. Ack.

Tizzalicious
12-06-2004, 06:52 AM
I wouldn't really mind...

But it's nice if you're into the same stuff, cuz you have more to talk about, you can go to concerts together, etc.

sKratch
12-06-2004, 10:11 AM
My girlfriend listens to some shitty music like Dave Matthews and what's that guy's name... John Mayer. But I got her into Cake, and she agreed to drum in a Cake cover band I'm putting together with my roomate so it's all good.

JoY
12-06-2004, 10:26 AM
my boyfriend listens hip hop; strange Dutch rapbands, fuckin Xzibit, Eminem, Snoop Dog & D.R.E. all the way, fo sho. I guess that should answer your question. *grins*

I must say I do still like the hell out of Paparazzi (Xzibit), Say What You Want (Texas ft. Wu Tang Clan) & some other hip hop, but overal it isn't really my thing. my musical taste is all over the place anyway, though.

anyway.. it makes us interesting in an odd way. sometimes I discover songs within his genre, that I think are great - & every now & then he falls in love with something I listen to. this probably has a lot to do with the fact, that we're absolutely nuts about each other, but until that changes, we keep falling in love with each other & songs we never thought we'd ever like.

JoY
12-06-2004, 10:27 AM
My girlfriend listens to some shitty music like Dave Matthews and what's that guy's name... John Mayer. But I got her into Cake, and she agreed to drum in a Cake cover band I'm putting together with my roomate so it's all good.
Cake is awesome.

yummy yummy punkrockgirl
12-06-2004, 11:04 AM
i did and had to sit through an alanis morisette concert

DUKESTER76
12-06-2004, 11:32 AM
the last girl i was seeing didnt like most of the stuff i listened to and always changed my damn stations in the car. after a while she actually started liking some of it like classic rock and metal, but she still cant stand country. she was all into that pop and rap and i would listen to some of it but not enjoy it much. she gets pissed when guys call girls hoes and shit and she listens to rap and that is pretty much what they be calling the girls in there so i dont get it???

sKratch
12-06-2004, 01:02 PM
Cake is awesome.
Yeah, they definitely are. They're playing a show about 2 and a half hours from where I go to college this Saturday but that's the weekend going into final exams so I really can't go. It's their only show in NY :[

Sunny
12-06-2004, 04:18 PM
i think rejecting someone because of the music they listen to would be pretty shallow and stupid. My boyfriend is into all kinds of music, and I despise some of the stuff he listens to (happy hardcore... omg). So fucking what? We're awesome together... and tolerant/mature enough to accept our differences.

-shrugs-

and he got me into *gasp* German synthpop, which is something i never thought i'd listen to.

sKratch
12-06-2004, 04:30 PM
Indeed, it would be stupid to not date someone or leave them because of their musical taste. The only justification I can think of is if they turn it into some sort of lifestyle that's annoying or otherwise turns you off.

Zee
12-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Of course it doesn't matter, but like Skratch said if it turns out for a lifestyle I probably wouldn't meet them in the first place, like some goth or punk girls. Just keep the music as a music.