PDA

View Full Version : Recording Question, Help Me If You Know Recording!

ZSTEIN
01-07-2006, 11:35 PM
I don't know how many of you are actually in a band that's recorded using their own stuff, but I am, and we're having some major troubles. I'm using a nice fender mixer, an sm58 mic, 15 watt marshall amp, nice dell laptop with software for recording, and of course a guitar. Now, what I do, is I plug my guitar through my digitech guitar pedel into the marshall amp. I mic the amp with the sm58 and that runs to the mixer. I run it out of the mixer from the tape record output and it goes into the mic uinput on the laptop.

Now, whats happening, is we're getting a bad jet engine type sound from the guitars after we playback the guitar track. I'm truly stumped about this, but I'm hoping (since I'm nt very knowlledgeable in the recoding department) that one of you will see some stupid thing I did and just go ahead and point me in the right direction.

I'm pretty sure the problem has nothing to do with the pedal, the guitar, the amp, the mic, the recording software, and the mixer. I think whats wrong is our set up (for how we go from the mixer to the compueter). Are you supposed to plug into the mic jack? Another possibility would be something is defective in the compueter itself, but just tell me if you see anything obvious that I could try. And please do only if you know what you're talking about.

Thanks Alot,
Zach Steiner

By the way, you can totally check my band out. We got a MYSPACE (http://www.myspace.com/thecoldcuts) so check us out and add us! :)

T-6005
01-07-2006, 11:39 PM
I'm not sure, but that sounds like digital distortion. Try recording at lower volumes, turning the mic sensitivity down on the mixer, or moving the mic away from the amp. Usually on mixers there's an equalizer - so check your peaks to make sure they aren't going fully into the red while you're recording.

Homer
01-08-2006, 01:01 AM
What you could do is just plug the pedal directly into the mixer and then plug the mixer into an amp (assuming you can record with the mixer, so you can put it onto the computer later), or if you have two outputs from the the mixer, just do the same thing with the pedal to the mixer (and mixer to amp), and the mixer also goes into the computer.

Those two options are obvuously limited, but that would be my advice assuming you have the right circumstances to do either of the two. If not, then I can't help you.

neocon58
01-08-2006, 01:21 AM
Could be clipping. Record at a lower volume.

The Talking Pie
01-08-2006, 05:26 AM
It's basically the same principle as distortion. Too much sound = clipping. That's how you create an overdriven sound from a clean tone. Anyway, point being, turn down the volume of the mic on the recording volume settings. That's assuming your laptop doesn't have a line-in port though... in which case you should really be using that instead of the mic port.

ZSTEIN
01-08-2006, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the ideas guys, I'll try turning the volume down on everything when I get a chance, if anybody else sees anything i can fix, I'd be glad to hear it :)

ZSTEIN
01-10-2006, 02:04 PM
hey, i tried turning the volume way down, and the meter was definetly staying out of the red. What happens is, we start recording and its fine for a few seconds and then it craps out (the meter goes down) and thats where we get the "jet engine" effect.

The Talking Pie
01-10-2006, 04:23 PM
Might be your amp. My amp made that sound for a while whenever I turned it on. Methinks it might have been the cold weather, but since I'm no electrician I can't be sure. So I'd just suggest checking out any cables and ports you use.

T-6005
01-10-2006, 04:41 PM
If you don't hear it in the actual sound but hear it while recording... check your connections. Also, what kind of microphone are you using? If you're using a condenser, make sure you have a phantom power unit built into the mixer... although normally I'd guess that your mic sound would just fade into nothingness without, I've never tried it.

ZSTEIN
01-10-2006, 08:17 PM
we're using an sm58, and we do have phantom power, im not positive it was on...im pretty sure its not the amp either because we've used 2 different amps and plugged straight into the compueter one. So does anybody know why it craps out, we start playing and then the level just goes down and levels off, whats with that

T-6005
01-12-2006, 01:17 PM
we're using an sm58, and we do have phantom power, im not positive it was on...im pretty sure its not the amp either because we've used 2 different amps and plugged straight into the compueter one. So does anybody know why it craps out, we start playing and then the level just goes down and levels off, whats with that
The sm58 looks like a standard dynamic mic. You wouldn't need phantom power for it. What program do you use to record? If it's cakewalk (or N-Track, or in fact most programs), make sure that the source is the Stereo input.