PDA

View Full Version : This is Spinal Tap

Original prankstA
01-08-2006, 10:48 AM
has anybody ever seen this movie about the british rock band Spinial Tap? I just watched it for the first time in a while yesterday and it is in-fucking-credibly funny.

Megs
01-08-2006, 10:53 AM
hrmmm....never seen it. on another note, wrong forum maybe?

Original prankstA
01-08-2006, 10:54 AM
hrmmm....never seen it. on another note, wrong forum maybe?
how? i'm not asking people if they like the band im asking about the movie

Megs
01-08-2006, 10:59 AM
*shrug* it's still about the band...sort of...oh...never mind.

Endymion
01-08-2006, 11:00 AM
...hate to break it to you, but not a real band.

and other christopher guest movies are better.

Megs
01-08-2006, 11:07 AM
*shrug* i'm not into most of the "new british rock bands" now, so, i wouldn't know whether it was or wasn't .....so.....it was just a thought.

Endymion
01-08-2006, 11:23 AM
it's a movie from the early 80's about a fictional band.

Original prankstA
01-08-2006, 11:40 AM
it's a movie from the early 80's about a fictional band.
it's still hilarious

Megs
01-08-2006, 11:42 AM
no-one's debating whether or not it's "hilarious" endymion was simply erm...providing me with information.

BATWT
01-08-2006, 11:43 AM
This Is Spinal Tap is one of the best satires on the music industry ever made - which granted isn't a tough category to win but hey. Aaand, Spinal Tap used to do stadium shows around the UK (and possibly the US) to promote the movie etc., and one time Liam Gallagher (of Oasis and general cuntishness fame) went to see them. 15 minutes into the show he stormed out as he just learned they weren't a real band.

That is one of the greatest stories I heard last wednesday.

nieh
01-08-2006, 12:06 PM
They are too a real band! They just have a fake story behind them. They're kinda like the Monkees. Spinal Tap never existed before the movie just like the Monkees never existed before their show. The difference is that Spinal Tap actually wrote and played all their songs from the beginning.

Vera
01-08-2006, 12:11 PM
More Cushion for the Pushin'

I loved the film, saw it sometime last year. The Stone Henge scene, I've rarely laughed that hard when watching a film.

Original prankstA
01-08-2006, 12:36 PM
They are too a real band! They just have a fake story behind them. They're kinda like the Monkees. Spinal Tap never existed before the movie just like the Monkees never existed before their show. The difference is that Spinal Tap actually wrote and played all their songs from the beginning.
i think they're real too, i was just agreeing with endy cuz he sounded like he new what he was talking about

nieh
01-08-2006, 12:44 PM
i think they're real too, i was just agreeing with endy cuz he sounded like he new what he was talking about

They're not actually British though. The whole band is made up of American comedians/actors (I think one of which was from SNL if I'm not mistaken?).

T-6005
01-08-2006, 12:55 PM
I haven't seen it yet, but a lot of people have recommended it. Maybe I'll check it out sometime.

killer_queen
01-08-2006, 12:58 PM
They're kinda like the Monkees. Spinal Tap never existed before the movie just like the Monkees never existed before their show.
The Monkees were not a real band? You can't guess how disappointed I am.

nieh
01-08-2006, 01:03 PM
Of course they were. They just didn't exist until after the TV show was made and they didn't write their own songs or play their own instruments until something like their third album. That doesn't make them FAKE.

Original prankstA
01-08-2006, 01:36 PM
I haven't seen it yet, but a lot of people have recommended it. Maybe I'll check it out sometime.
it's not obviously funny, you have to listen closely to find it funny, i took me a few times to start laughing

Endymion
01-08-2006, 01:44 PM
wikipedia...
"Spinal Tap is a mostly fictional heavy metal band best known from the 1984 mockumentary This Is Spinal Tap. The band members are portrayed by Michael McKean (as "David St. Hubbins"), Christopher Guest (as "Nigel Tufnel") and Harry Shearer (as "Derek Smalls"); they first appeared in a 1978 ABC comedy special, The TV Show.

The band is "mostly fictional" in the sense that its primary members have always been actors parodying heavy metal stereotypes, yet by playing concerts and releasing albums, they've blurred the line between fact and fiction."

so i was kinda wrong.

Apathy
01-08-2006, 02:03 PM
My bologna is too small for their bread.

I try to make Spinal Tap references on this board whenever possible. And I manage to say my amp goes up to 11 every time someone mentions an amp. I love that movie.

BREAK
02-07-2006, 10:05 PM
and other christopher guest movies are better.

Your insistence on being so completely wrong about everything makes me sad. :(

(P.S. I'm sure you're aware of this, but Guest didn't direct Spinal Tap. Just don't want anyone else to get the wrong idea)

Endymion
02-07-2006, 10:16 PM
psh, sure he didn't direct but he wrote most of it.

and best in show is superior.

BREAK
02-07-2006, 10:32 PM
Best In Show is boring. Waiting For Guffman is irritating AND boring. A Mighty Wind is pretty good though, which tells me he needs to stick to projects involving music.

StayInTheHouseCarl
02-07-2006, 10:48 PM
you can't dust for vomit.