PDA

View Full Version : whats better, old AFI or new AFI

bouncingcoles
01-09-2006, 11:25 AM
what do you think is better old AFI or newer AFI. i prefer older AFI its not as poppy. my favorite is black sails in the sunset. but i i love all the other old albums too.

HeadAroundU
01-09-2006, 03:30 PM
Can't wait for the new album! It's gonna be briliant.

For me "the new AFI" is STS, TAOD, BSITS. I love those albums!
Other albums without guitarist Jade Puget are "the old AFI", they are ok...

I got into them because of Sing The Sorrow.
I'm not going to vote because we have different opinions about what's the new and what's the old AFI.

nieh
01-09-2006, 03:32 PM
I like middle-late era AFI better than early AFI. I didn't like their most recent album though (the one after they left Nitro). To be fair, I never really liked any of their albums the whole way through.

Rag Doll
01-09-2006, 03:34 PM
I liked *Very Proud of Ya* the most. And *Answer That...*. So...old.

nameless
01-09-2006, 03:44 PM
i dont have a favourite, i liked the sound on the new album as much as the old stuff!

China Boy
01-09-2006, 03:48 PM
I don't know anything about AFI or anything, but I totally adore "The Boy Who Destroyed The World". Is that old or new?

Jakebert
01-09-2006, 03:50 PM
I really like The Art of Drowning and Black Sails the most. The older stuff is ok, but nothing special. Sing the Sorrow, to me, is just kind of bland.

XYlophonetreeZ
01-09-2006, 04:06 PM
Your criteria for "New AFI" is what's preventing me from voting at all. Sing the Sorrow is my favorite album of theirs, but I also enjoy Black Sails and The Art of Drowning. But seriously, the stuff after Sing the Sorrow? Their cover of Head Like a Hole was one of the worst things I ever heard. And I don't hate Rabbits are Roadkill on Route 37 as much as I did when I first heard it (which was a lot), but it's still far from being one of their better songs. So yeah, I pass on the voting.

Endymion
01-09-2006, 05:14 PM
i like shut your mouth, afi ep, black sails ep, black sails in the sunset, and all hollows ep. right there. everything else is kinda eh, particularly art of drowning, which i think might be worse than sing the sorrow.

All About Eve
01-09-2006, 07:14 PM
Your criteria for "New AFI" is what's preventing me from voting at all. Sing the Sorrow is my favorite album of theirs, but I also enjoy Black Sails and The Art of Drowning. But seriously, the stuff after Sing the Sorrow? Their cover of Head Like a Hole was one of the worst things I ever heard. And I don't hate Rabbits are Roadkill on Route 37 as much as I did when I first heard it (which was a lot), but it's still far from being one of their better songs. So yeah, I pass on the voting.

I agree, except that I absolutely love Synthesesia (spelling?), and Head Like a Hole is awesome IMO.

coke_a_holic
01-09-2006, 07:18 PM
I liked Very Proud of Ya, Shut your Mouth, and All Hallow's the most. I somewhat liked all of their other stuff, just not as much.

bouncingcoles
01-09-2006, 08:02 PM
I don't know anything about AFI or anything, but I totally adore "The Boy Who Destroyed The World". Is that old or new?

its from all hallows which is from 99, its old

original_prankster
01-10-2006, 02:53 PM
Old AFI is pretty good, but none of their albums can top Sing The Sorrow. The only CD that even comes close to topping it is Black Sails In The Sunset.

neocon58
01-11-2006, 03:36 PM
I only have "Sing the Sorrow" and "Answer that and stay fashionable", Sing the sorrow is great, but IMO Answer that.. is boring, just repeditive.

Speaking of AFI, read this article titled "AFI ready new album" :

AFI is not the average band that write up to 40 songs before heading into the studio to make an album by choosing only a dozen for the final lineup, reports MTV.com.

Back in 2004, AFI began writing songs for their seventh studio offering, which is due in stores late this spring. "We ended up writing somewhere between 80 and 100 songs," frontman Davey Havok said. "Really!" he continued, when challenged about the sum. "I have lyric books full and full of complete songs. It was crazy. We just kept writing and writing and writing ... it's been a long process and it was a bit excessive."

In the end, AFI whittled those 80 to 100 cuts down to 22, and ended up recording just 14 when they hit the studio with producer Jerry Finn (Blink-182, Rancid). Twelve of those will end up on the record, said to be a "sophisticated, melodic" opus that'll please even old-school AFI followers.

"There are a few tracks that are really aggressive and have — dare I say — pretty heavy hardcore leanings," à la 1997's Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes, Havok said. "There are just a few — by no means is the record weighted in that direction. But there are definitely some hardcore moments on there."

Conversely, "there's stuff on here we've never ever done before," Havoc said. "And for us, that's the most exciting part. There are some songs that are more heavily loop-based. We tinkered with different time signatures, and even different rhythms we haven't worked with. There are moments within some of these tracks that sound like nothing we've really touched as a band, artistically, before."

"This album's certainly an exposé of what was going on with me at the time of the writing of the record, and it was a really difficult time for me," he said. "There's a sense of detachment and hopelessness and weird surrealistic feelings of isolation. There are different perspectives on this record, too. Sometimes, I'll be singing in the first person but I won't actually be referring to myself, which is something I don't do too often. It's not too much different from what you'd expect from my lyrics."

>:->
01-11-2006, 03:37 PM
old AFI, hands down

01-11-2006, 03:40 PM
I went to see AFI in Columbus on the tour they did when "Song of the Sorrow" (correct name?) came out. They were really good from what I remember. Davey Havoc came out in these black leather pants and a tight white shirt, totally soaked. You could see his tattooed physique clearly through his garments. And then they played and the guitar and bass players did a lot of spinning around. Davey Havoc was just a dude singing righteous tunes.

Then they came out after the show and I met them and talked to them for a while. Mr. Havoc had his hair tied up in a bun, and he was wearing a bath robe. The other dudes just took off their black uniforms and put on some normal clothes. They were cool dudes.

01-11-2006, 03:43 PM
what's the best AFI release, considering EPs as well?

original_prankster
01-11-2006, 03:51 PM
I think Sing The Sorrow is their best LP. The best of their two EPs is All Hallow's EP.

01-11-2006, 03:58 PM
Misfits cover - of course it is!

Apathy
01-11-2006, 04:44 PM
Old AFI, definately.

Lower It, A single second, Totalimmortal... those are classics in my mind.

original_prankster
01-11-2006, 05:19 PM
Third Season, Fall Children, Porphyria, God Called In Sick Today, and He Who Laughs Last are my favorite old AFI songs.

Endymion
01-11-2006, 05:23 PM
their two EPs
they've done three eps, plus some split eps.

01-11-2006, 05:25 PM
they've also done their makeup and their hair

original_prankster
01-11-2006, 06:29 PM
they've done three eps, plus some split eps.
What's the third one? I never knew they did a third one. I didn't even know they did split EPs. :confused:

HeadAroundU
01-11-2006, 07:42 PM
AFI complete discography:
http://www.afiseries.com/discography.php

neocon58
01-11-2006, 09:32 PM
Heh, I just looked in the Ixnay CD booklet. I didn't know Davey did backing vocals. How cool.

01-11-2006, 09:34 PM
http://www.orlyowl.com/nerdorly.jpg

bd007h
01-11-2006, 09:53 PM
to me, AFI is AFI. I like it all

01-11-2006, 10:17 PM
where'd my O Rly? owl go?

Yatesy
01-12-2006, 01:57 AM
Totalimmortal is my favourite song by them so I'll go for old stuff. But new stuff is great too.

01-12-2006, 09:30 AM
Is it true that AFI started out as a Misfits cover band?

Jakebert
01-12-2006, 02:56 PM
I hope the new CD moves away from Sing the Sorrow, and doesn't have many songs like "...but Home is Nowhere" and "The Leaving Song pt.1". Those types of songs were just so generic sounding.*

*Sing the Sorrow did have it's moments, but those songs and the ones like it hurt it.

SuperKnux
01-12-2006, 03:01 PM
"Black Sails" and everything up is brilliant. They just keep on getting better and better. With that said, the newer AFI is much better than the cliche' fast punk, retarded lyrics shit that I grew out of when I was sixteen.

Igniton
01-12-2006, 06:44 PM
i got into afi when girls not grey was popular

Apathy
01-12-2006, 07:29 PM
New AFI is winning. That shows you how many poppy-punkers are here.

Makes sense, as this is an offspring forum I guess....

HeadAroundU
01-12-2006, 08:13 PM
I hope the new CD moves away from Sing the Sorrow, and doesn't have many songs like "...but Home is Nowhere" and "The Leaving Song pt.1". Those types of songs were just so generic sounding.*

*Sing the Sorrow did have it's moments, but those songs and the ones like it hurt it.
Holy fucking cow!

...but home is nowhere and The leaving song are their best songs.
Masterpieces!

*shakes head*
omg

HeadAroundU
01-12-2006, 08:35 PM
"Black Sails" and everything up is brilliant. They just keep on getting better and better. With that said, the newer AFI is much better than the cliche' fast punk, retarded lyrics shit that I grew out of when I was sixteen.
here is my man!
:cool:

neocon58
01-12-2006, 08:41 PM
"...but Home is Nowhere" and "The Leaving Song pt.1". Those types of songs were just so generic sounding.

Generic?

Bahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Of all the songs on that album, you call those two generic! Bah.

XYlophonetreeZ
01-12-2006, 09:03 PM

You're a douche. New AFI isn't even punk, by any accounts.

All About Eve
01-12-2006, 09:05 PM

New AFI is neither pop nor punk, as XY pointed out. Not to mention. I'm a metal fan, my favorite bands are all progressive metal, yet I like the newer AFI better than the old, harder stuff. Explain that.

original_prankster
01-13-2006, 12:08 PM
You're a douche. New AFI isn't even punk, by any accounts.
They aren't even pop-punk. Now they're like...um...uh...I dunno. Almost-gothic rock with a bit of new wave thrown in, I guess.

HeadAroundU
01-13-2006, 04:02 PM
Sing The Sorrow:

Punk Revival /Punk-Pop /Alternative Pop/Rock /Hardcore Punk /Goth Rock /Emo
http://www.allmusic.com/

Jakebert
01-13-2006, 05:46 PM
Generic?

Bahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Of all the songs on that album, you call those two generic! Bah.

Yes, yes I did because "The Leaving Song, pt. 2" sounds exactly like a "modern gothic alternative rock by the numbers" song, and "...but Home is Nowhere" is just dull.

HeadAroundU
01-14-2006, 08:56 AM
You know what I don't like the name Jakebert.
It's just dull and generic.
:D

Jakebert
01-14-2006, 09:01 AM
Maybe so, but no one has ever called my name brilliant and original, so there's no need stating that.

HeadAroundU
01-14-2006, 09:27 AM
Maybe so, but no one has ever called my name brilliant and original, so there's no need stating that.
Jake Henceroth!
Don't say it anymore that ...but home is nowhere is dull!
It's first class song! :D

Maybe you don't like but don't say that it's generic,dull...etc
I can accept it that you don't like it but obviously it's musical masterpiece!
:)

Placebo14
05-08-2006, 03:52 AM
Sing The Sorrow:

Punk Revival /Punk-Pop /Alternative Pop/Rock /Hardcore Punk /Goth Rock /Emo
http://www.allmusic.com/

They're definately not Emo.
I hate when people say that.

HeadAroundU
05-08-2006, 09:39 AM
They are partially EMO.
Hate me again.

JohnnyNemesis
05-08-2006, 10:24 AM
It's probably been said a million times by now, but...

The Art of Drowning is NOT old AFI.

bd007h
05-08-2006, 10:43 AM
I like it all.

JohnnyNemesis
05-08-2006, 10:57 AM
You already said that.

Betty
05-08-2006, 11:04 AM
It's probably been said a million times by now, but...

The Art of Drowning is NOT old AFI.

That's what I was gonna say. The Art of Drowning should really be considered the turning point, in my opinion. Black Sails is on the brink. I mean, clearly there is a world of difference between Very Proud of Ya and The Art of Drowning. You can't compare.

I like all AFI, though never got into Sing the Sorrow as much, maybe just due to not really listening to it that much. But I must say that the All Hallow's EP was absolutely fantastic, albeit just 4 songs long.

JohnnyNemesis
05-08-2006, 11:06 AM
I disagree only slightly. Black Sails in the Sunset is definitely the turning point, the completion of the transition, while The Art of Drowning is the establishment of that sound. Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes is one of the most obvious examples of a transitional phase I've EVER heard in music. Sing the Sorrow is fantastic, but just...odd.

The All Hallows EP is enough to cream my pants.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
05-08-2006, 12:03 PM
I like it all.

Same here. I prefer newer, though.

Check out the new site. They have part of the opening track from Decemberunderground playing, and it's pretty.

skiddles824
05-08-2006, 12:13 PM
is girls not grey new or old

bd007h
05-08-2006, 12:18 PM
is girls not grey new or old

Gee, I dunno, it's on Sing The Sorrow :rolleyes:

bd007h
05-08-2006, 12:19 PM
You already said that.

I didn't realize that this was an old thread that was bumped. I must've said that 4 months ago when the thread was made

Little_Miss_1565
05-08-2006, 12:25 PM
I disagree only slightly. Black Sails in the Sunset is definitely the turning point, the completion of the transition, while The Art of Drowning is the establishment of that sound. Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes is one of the most obvious examples of a transitional phase I've EVER heard in music. Sing the Sorrow is fantastic, but just...odd.

The All Hallows EP is enough to cream my pants.

^ word.

I have a theory of AFI's sound development.

We have their debut, "Answer That and Stay Fashionable"--bouncy, fun punk rawk. ebhc, motherfuckers.

Then there's "Very Proud of Ya." More of the same from "Answer That," but plus a couple songs that sound different--"Crop Tub," "Shatty Fatmas," and "Cruise Control." Davey discovers that he likes to scream.

Then, "Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes." Screamy McScreamerson. Those few screamy angry hardcore songs from the last album have blossomed into a whole album of the style. With the exceptions of "The New Patron Saints and Angels" and "Salt for your Wounds," which keep the edge of the album but feature more melodic vocals.

Then, the name of the game for "Black Sails in the Sunset" is hardcore instrumentation with less screaming (but by no means is the screaming gone) and more melody. We even get some vocal harmonies! Noticing the pattern yet? "Clove Smoke Catharsis," featuring Dexter on backing vocals, is the first near power-ballad we've heard from the band. "God Called in Sick today" and "Midnight Sun" (the hidden track) all make gestures to...

..."The Art of Drowning," by far my favorite one. Jade turns down some of the distortion in favor of more tone and...lots of synthesizers. Y'alls know what songs I mean.

Then, "Sing the Sorrow" features TONS of synth bits, even having the band turn into VNV Nation in the middle of "Death of Seasons"

Slowly but surely they're changing their sound, going in increments and previewing each change on a couple of tracks on every album. If they keep doing this, "Decemberunderground" is going to lean a lot towards goth industrial. In that case, I hope I'm wrong.

HeadAroundU
05-08-2006, 01:34 PM
The new AFI:
Davey, Adam, Jade, Hunter.

jacknife737
05-08-2006, 01:38 PM
Well i hated sing the sorrow. But Miss Murder is killer. So new, since i never really liked any afi song prior to Miss Murder.

0r4ng3
05-08-2006, 07:09 PM
I only have Very Proud of Ya and Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes, but I really prefer old AFI so far.

wheelchairman
05-08-2006, 11:51 PM
I fully agree with Little Miss 1565's evaluation on the evolution of their music.

I still hate the first two albums though. I just find them boring. They aren't particulary good to put on a stereo and play in the background, and they make terrible coasters.

I do like Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes. But Black Sails in the Sunset, Art of Drowning, and Sing the Sorrow are my favorites. I have not heard anything newer.

Remember back when there was a whoole lot of drama on the bbs when someone called Davey Havoc a faggot?

IAmARevenant
05-09-2006, 06:42 AM
I fully agree with Little Miss 1565's evaluation on the evolution of their music.

I still hate the first two albums though. I just find them boring. They aren't particulary good to put on a stereo and play in the background, and they make terrible coasters.

I do like Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes. But Black Sails in the Sunset, Art of Drowning, and Sing the Sorrow are my favorites. I have not heard anything newer.

Remember back when there was a whoole lot of drama on the bbs when someone called Davey Havoc a faggot?

You can just shut up. New AFI sucks ass. Old AFI is acually PUNK AFI, before they turned gothic and gay.
By the way, Davay Havoc IS a faggot.

HeadAroundU
05-09-2006, 07:12 AM
You can just shut up. New AFI sucks ass. Old AFI is acually PUNK AFI, before they turned gothic and gay.
Go away. No one likes you.

JohnnyNemesis
05-09-2006, 07:24 AM
HAU just stole my line...

AND I APPROVE!

This is a miracle.

WebDudette
05-09-2006, 12:22 PM
I'm going to have to go with newer Afi.

0r4ng3
05-09-2006, 12:43 PM
I just happen to like their older stuff because I'm in that "zomg it's fast punx!" stage. Though, I'm sure their newer stuff is good, too.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
05-09-2006, 12:48 PM

This is the most ignorant thing I've read today. AFI is ALOT better now, musicially and lyrically, than they were during the Answer That and Very Proud days. There were so many other bands that did the hardcore punk rock thing better than AFI around the same time when AFI was "hardcore punk". Not to say old AFI is bad, I think it's very good. Just nothing too special. Newer AFI stands out, and unlike other bands, they make the record they want to. They don't fear change. They never worry about fans' reaction to it. Now THAT's punk rock of them. To make the same record over and over again would be boring as shit.

And by the way, Davey Havok is NOT gay. Jade even said so on the AFI message board.

0r4ng3
05-09-2006, 03:14 PM
There, now the poll is tied.

BTW, what albums were "Totalimmortal" and "The Boy Who Destroyed The World" from?

HeadAroundU
05-09-2006, 03:15 PM
All Hallow's EP

JohnnyNemesis
05-09-2006, 03:18 PM
All Hallows EP was where those came from, as HAU just said. That EP was the first AFI album I heard that actually made them rank on my favorite bands list. Oh holy shit, it's fantastic.

coke_a_holic
05-09-2006, 03:21 PM
All Hallows EP was where those came from, as HAU just said. That EP was the first AFI album I heard that actually made them rank on my favorite bands list. Oh holy shit, it's fantastic.
Yesss, yessss, yesssssssss!

All About Eve
05-09-2006, 03:21 PM
Especially for only four songs. I consider Very Proud of You the beginning of the transition, although Black Sails was most definitely a more full transition. I've recently started loving Very Proud of You.

0r4ng3
05-09-2006, 03:22 PM
I'm downloading it now.

<3 Soulseek.

Edit: It's Ya. Very Proud of Ya.

Apathy
05-09-2006, 05:35 PM
Oh My god. How could people vote old worse than New?

I love so many songs.... The Prayer Postion, Boy Who Destroyed the World, A Single Second, God Called In Sick Today, Total Immortal, He who laughs last....

Black
05-09-2006, 06:28 PM
i dont think the threadstarter understands the concept of which era of AFI is regarded as old or new.

but i think they were getting at: "Do you prefer AFI's Nitro years or their Major label years" which in itself is an unfair comparison... since they only have 1 major label release and have 6 releases on Nitro.

But here's the skinny on my opinion: I love everything Jade Puget has done for the band. So in the lineup sense-- i prefer NEW AFI. Now when it comes to major vs indie... i cant pick one solely on the unfair comparison for lack of a library in the latter option. On top of that... i like each album as a seperate piece of work... because to consider old AFI bad would be stupid... because it was a more unrefined time for the band, which played a more unrefined genre. Newer works of the band are amazing in themselves and to judge them worse than the other would be like a dirt farmer comparing apples and oranges.

I hope that clears things up a little.

0r4ng3
05-09-2006, 08:26 PM
The EP just finished downloading, and it is indeed the best thing ever.

IAmARevenant
05-09-2006, 08:37 PM
This is the most ignorant thing I've read today. AFI is ALOT better now, musicially and lyrically, than they were during the Answer That and Very Proud days. There were so many other bands that did the hardcore punk rock thing better than AFI around the same time when AFI was "hardcore punk". Not to say old AFI is bad, I think it's very good. Just nothing too special. Newer AFI stands out, and unlike other bands, they make the record they want to. They don't fear change. They never worry about fans' reaction to it. Now THAT's punk rock of them. To make the same record over and over again would be boring as shit.

And by the way, Davey Havok is NOT gay. Jade even said so on the AFI message board.

I'm sorry for being ignorant, but I just can't stand Sing the Sorrow, or all the Mtv teenyboppers who only like AFI because 1)They're on Mtv; 2)They wear make up and act all gothic and depressed; or 3)Because(quote)"Like, ohmigod Davey is like, so, like omigod he's like sooooooo hhhhhoooootttt!!!!!"(unqote). And it's only YOUR opinion that YOU think that AFI is better now(yeah, I'm being hypocritical; I don't care). And there's no punk rock in them anymore. I'm soory for setting the record strait, but many others have atempted to, "set the record strait" with me buy saying that old AFI sucks. I'm just returning the favor. And if Davey is so, "not gay" then why does he wear make-up and eyeliner and always looks gay? Answer that (and stay fasionable). Oh, and to this "HeadAroundU" person, I will never go away, and I know some people that like me. You just wanna look cool and protest against anyone who criticizes your favorite band(oh, did I say BAND? I'm sorry, I meant album, Sing the Sorrow).
If I offended anyone(which I probably did, seeing as I can't explain how many STS fans there are on this board), sorry, but these boards were ment for opinion. If it offends you, don't read it.

JohnnyNemesis
05-09-2006, 08:47 PM
If I offended anyone(which I probably did, seeing as I can't explain how many STS fans there are on this board), sorry, but these boards were ment for opinion. If it offends you, don't read it.

You didn't offend anyone with your opinion, but you definitely offended me with your intense stupidity.

Seriously, shut the fuck up.

Endymion
05-09-2006, 08:48 PM
I'm sorry for being ignorant, but I just can't stand Sing the Sorrow, or all the Mtv teenyboppers who only like AFI because 1)They're on Mtv; 2)They wear make up and act all gothic and depressed; or 3)Because(quote)"Like, ohmigod Davey is like, so, like omigod he's like sooooooo hhhhhoooootttt!!!!!"(unqote). And it's only YOUR opinion that YOU think that AFI is better now(yeah, I'm being hypocritical; I don't care). And there's no punk rock in them anymore. I'm soory for setting the record strait, but many others have atempted to, "set the record strait" with me buy saying that old AFI sucks. I'm just returning the favor. And if Davey is so, "not gay" then why does he wear make-up and eyeliner and always looks gay? Answer that (and stay fasionable). Oh, and to this "HeadAroundU" person, I will never go away, and I know some people that like me. You just wanna look cool and protest against anyone who criticizes your favorite band(oh, did I say BAND? I'm sorry, I meant album, Sing the Sorrow).

omg punx!

sing the sorrow sucks. art of drowning is worse. i don't listen to afi anymore.

HeadAroundU
05-10-2006, 05:35 AM
blah blah blah
N-O-O-N-E-L-I-K-E-S-Y-O-U and never will.

IAmARevenant
05-10-2006, 06:11 AM
Alright, to Johnny Nemisis, how am I so stupid? Because I don't like STS, that makes me stupid? Ya kinda need something to back up that sort of (false)statement.
And to HeadAroundU, you're not reading any of the posts I'm making, and just posting something that says no one likes me. And I bet that's what you're gonna say later. And you think anyone likes you better? The only reason you say that no one likes me is because the fact that I criticized you oh-so favorite album. And because of that, you criticize me. I've already had enough shit on me today, so just lay off. If you stop those posts, then I'll stop criticizing new AFI.
God, I hate this thread!

HeadAroundU
05-10-2006, 07:01 AM
wtf, thru punks can spell?!

Nicole
05-10-2006, 08:41 AM
I like the in between era, the AFI ep, black sails in the sunset and all hallows ep.

I like the other stuff too, in varying degrees, but that era had the best combination of the old energy compared with the better composed music they're coming out with these days.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
05-10-2006, 08:46 AM
Alright, to Johnny Nemisis, how am I so stupid? Because I don't like STS, that makes me stupid? Ya kinda need something to back up that sort of (false)statement.

Talk about hypocritical. If I read correctly, which I'm pretty sure I did, part of the reason you said you hated new AFI was because of "teenybopper MTV fans"? WTF kind of reason is that? That is no valid opinion on the music. And Davey must be gay because he wears makeup? Fashion sense does not equal sexual orientation. Lots of 80s bands and glam bands wore makeup, are they gay too? You can't deny that lyrics such as "raise high monolithic statues so fragile as they fall" are better than lyrics such as "wanna mohawk but my mom won't let me get one!" Seriously, its not opinion. Lyrically, they are better. Musically, they are better. One can prefer the older stuff better than the newer stuff, sure. That's fine. But even fans who prefer the older stuff agree that they have evolved into a greater band, they just prefer to listen to the older stuff because that fits their musical preferences better. Who fucking cares if AFI is getting popular? I think its a good thing. They're reaching out to a bigger fan base. More power to them. They're creating the music they love and will always continue to do that.

dexter_m
05-10-2006, 01:14 PM
Old songs had much more power for me. New aren't so cool.

I don't know
05-10-2006, 03:43 PM
old afi is so much better, I don't really like sing the sorrow

noodle654
05-10-2006, 07:40 PM
The only AFI album that I like is All Hallows EP.

0r4ng3
05-10-2006, 08:20 PM
^ After hearing it, that is a very fair comment.

I just downloaded Answer That..., and I like what I hear so far. Though, there are a couple of repeats on later albums.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
05-11-2006, 02:59 AM
^ After hearing it, that is a very fair comment.

I just downloaded Answer That..., and I like what I hear so far. Though, there are a couple of repeats on later albums.

Yeah, they re-recorded "Yurf Rendenmein" and "Two Of A Kind" for Very Proud Of Ya because I think, if I heard correctly, Dexter really liked those songs, or something....and it was before Answer That was re-released under Nitro so yeah.

IAmARevenant
05-11-2006, 09:24 PM
Talk about hypocritical. If I read correctly, which I'm pretty sure I did, part of the reason you said you hated new AFI was because of "teenybopper MTV fans"? WTF kind of reason is that? That is no valid opinion on the music. And Davey must be gay because he wears makeup? Fashion sense does not equal sexual orientation. Lots of 80s bands and glam bands wore makeup, are they gay too? You can't deny that lyrics such as "raise high monolithic statues so fragile as they fall" are better than lyrics such as "wanna mohawk but my mom won't let me get one!" Seriously, its not opinion. Lyrically, they are better. Musically, they are better. One can prefer the older stuff better than the newer stuff, sure. That's fine. But even fans who prefer the older stuff agree that they have evolved into a greater band, they just prefer to listen to the older stuff because that fits their musical preferences better. Who fucking cares if AFI is getting popular? I think its a good thing. They're reaching out to a bigger fan base. More power to them. They're creating the music they love and will always continue to do that.

Well, it's not exactly that he wears make-up. I admit, I was being hypocritical, since I am also a MCR fan, and they also wear make-up. It's the fact that he looks so much like a girl(drag-queen) that I think he's trying to look gay. I mean, have you seen the Miss Murder video? He looks so gay in that video.
And it's not just the Mtv posers that make me dispise new AFI. It's the music. And I see them every single place I go, and that's what makes me so fuckin sick of them. And they're just way too over-rated for their own good. I'm sick of hearing stuff like, "AFI is so cool. They're, like my favorite band" coming out of many people who've only heard STS.
And Davey's voice just sucks to me now. By BSITS, Davey's voice got alot better than in previous releases. Then he started to get this soft, whiney voice. I just dispise it.
Anyway, I'm sorry I made you all pissed off. I just got wwwwwaaaaaayyyyyy too carried away with the criticisms. You can like new AFI if you want, but I'm not one to give in to goth-emo, as in, what AFI has become.

Endymion
05-11-2006, 09:55 PM
holy fuck. i can see all the criticizing of newer afi, but from a fan of my chemical romance? it's like a green day fan bitching that blink 182 is too poppy.

HeadAroundU
05-12-2006, 04:11 AM
bwahaha!

iamrevenant, how old are you? I'm just curious.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
05-12-2006, 07:41 AM
Well, it's not exactly that he wears make-up. I admit, I was being hypocritical, since I am also a MCR fan, and they also wear make-up. It's the fact that he looks so much like a girl(drag-queen) that I think he's trying to look gay. I mean, have you seen the Miss Murder video? He looks so gay in that video.
And it's not just the Mtv posers that make me dispise new AFI. It's the music. And I see them every single place I go, and that's what makes me so fuckin sick of them. And they're just way too over-rated for their own good. I'm sick of hearing stuff like, "AFI is so cool. They're, like my favorite band" coming out of many people who've only heard STS.
And Davey's voice just sucks to me now. By BSITS, Davey's voice got alot better than in previous releases. Then he started to get this soft, whiney voice. I just dispise it.
Anyway, I'm sorry I made you all pissed off. I just got wwwwwaaaaaayyyyyy too carried away with the criticisms. You can like new AFI if you want, but I'm not one to give in to goth-emo, as in, what AFI has become.

Actually, many fans who became fans due to Sing The Sorrow have liked them so much that they went out and got their older stuff. I've liked them since Black Sails, but I have a few friends that got into them thanks to STS. So, it's good to reach a bigger audience. Not everyone has the means to check out certain things. All some people have are shitty MTV channels, and while that's unfortunate, it may be the only way they can be exposed to AFI or whatever else. And the MCR singer looks waaaaaaay more douchey and gay than Davey. Way more. Plus, MCR's music sucks balls. AFI actually has honesty to their music whereas MCR just kinda popped up overnight. If that's the case, you should probably aim your hatred toward MCR and not AFI. Though I can understand new AFI isn't your thing, and that's fine. It's just it doesn't make sense to criticize them for being popular and how they present themselves physically, because MCR is MORE popular, and they present themselves more ridiculously.

If you just said 'new AFI just isn't my thing because I don't like the direction they took their music", that's fine. But the arguments you use against new AFI are so stale and common and hold no validity at all whatsoever. And I'm not pissed off. I'm just saying your reasons for hating new AFI are stupid.

FrancoDaHui
05-15-2006, 09:47 AM
hard choice, but i went with "new afi"

0r4ng3
05-17-2006, 02:25 PM
This probably isn't the right thread, but I didn't want to make a new one or anything.

I'm about to download Sing the Sorrow, after hearing AFI's older albums. Should I be worried? My favorite is Black Sails in the Sunset.

JohnnyNemesis
05-17-2006, 02:29 PM
What you need to do when listening to Sing the Sorrow is GO IN UNBIASED. Ignore everything you've heard or read and judge it for yourself.

I bought the album on its release date and listened to it without judging it on other bullshit because there was no public opinion about the album yet. I didn't even know they weren't on Nitro anymore until AFTER listening to it (though I did notice a huge difference in production values and certain occasions where their style seemed different as I listened).

Anyway, unbiased!

But I can say that, if you're anything like me, tracks 5, 7, 8, 9, and 10 will give you eargasms.

HeadAroundU
05-17-2006, 02:33 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/afi/albums/album/280822/review/6068023/sing_the_sorrow

coke_a_holic
05-17-2006, 02:33 PM
Jesse:

I was addicted to it when I first bought it (it being my first AFI purchase, although I had listened to parts of the All Hallow's EP from THPS3 and Launch). After growing from them to the music you listen to now, I thought it was a little too depressing for me. As of now, I find that I enjoy the cd well enough to listen to it every once in a while, but AFI has largely disappeared from my regular playlist. My favorite of their's is still probably either Shut Your Mouth or Art of Drowning. If All Hallow's was longer, I would use it for sexual purposes.

EDIT: I agree with Rick's choices for the favorites, although I also enjoy track 3.

JohnnyNemesis
05-17-2006, 02:34 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/afi/albums/album/280822/review/6068023/sing_the_sorrow

Jesse: ignore HAU's post that I just quoted, as it does the exact opposite in every way possible of what I suggested. And you know who to trust here!

RESIST THE LINK FROM THE SLOVAKIAN!

HeadAroundU
05-17-2006, 02:37 PM
:D damn ricardo

HeadAroundU
05-17-2006, 02:39 PM
But I can say that, if you're anything like me, tracks 5, 7, 8, 9, and 10 will give you eargasms.
THE SLOVAKIAN approves! + 12

0r4ng3
05-17-2006, 03:52 PM
This is taking forever. Soulseek is teh suck. It keeps pausing after every song downloaded.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
05-18-2006, 03:41 AM
What you need to do when listening to Sing the Sorrow is GO IN UNBIASED. Ignore everything you've heard or read and judge it for yourself.

I bought the album on its release date and listened to it without judging it on other bullshit because there was no public opinion about the album yet. I didn't even know they weren't on Nitro anymore until AFTER listening to it (though I did notice a huge difference in production values and certain occasions where their style seemed different as I listened).

Anyway, unbiased!

I have to agree with this, with the addition of track 3.

HeadAroundU
05-18-2006, 04:58 AM
I have to agree with this, with the addition of track 3.
Hey, what do you think about "but home is nowhere..."? Everybody is saying here that it's the weakest song off the STS. :( :( :(

IAmARevenant
05-19-2006, 05:32 AM
Actually, many fans who became fans due to Sing The Sorrow have liked them so much that they went out and got their older stuff. I've liked them since Black Sails, but I have a few friends that got into them thanks to STS. So, it's good to reach a bigger audience. Not everyone has the means to check out certain things. All some people have are shitty MTV channels, and while that's unfortunate, it may be the only way they can be exposed to AFI or whatever else. And the MCR singer looks waaaaaaay more douchey and gay than Davey. Way more. Plus, MCR's music sucks balls. AFI actually has honesty to their music whereas MCR just kinda popped up overnight. If that's the case, you should probably aim your hatred toward MCR and not AFI. Though I can understand new AFI isn't your thing, and that's fine. It's just it doesn't make sense to criticize them for being popular and how they present themselves physically, because MCR is MORE popular, and they present themselves more ridiculously.

If you just said 'new AFI just isn't my thing because I don't like the direction they took their music", that's fine. But the arguments you use against new AFI are so stale and common and hold no validity at all whatsoever. And I'm not pissed off. I'm just saying your reasons for hating new AFI are stupid.

Hey, maybe you shoulda said"MCR just aint my thing because I don't like the direction they took to their music" but instead, you do exactly what I did to AFI. Jeez, talk about being hypocritical.
By the way, I'm not going to immediatly turn my hatred to MCR just because you don't like them. Did you think I was going to? Plus, MCR is much more honest with their music than AFI. AFI just writes about sorrow and hating yourself and wanting to die, while MCR uses metaphors in their lyrics to present messages to their listeners. Because of that, I believe that MCR is much stronger than AFI.
By the way, have you even bothered to listen to old AFI?

Placebo14
05-19-2006, 07:56 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You shouldnt diss Afi considering you like MCR because MCR is one of the worst bands around today and nothing like Afi.

My fav Afi albums are BSITS, AOD, STS and I cant wait for their new album.

JohnnyNemesis
05-19-2006, 08:13 AM
AFI just writes about sorrow and hating yourself and wanting to die

That's bullshit and just plain not true. Shut the fuck up already.

Little_Miss_1565
05-19-2006, 08:27 AM
Hey, maybe you shoulda said"MCR just aint my thing because I don't like the direction they took to their music" but instead, you do exactly what I did to AFI. Jeez, talk about being hypocritical.
By the way, I'm not going to immediatly turn my hatred to MCR just because you don't like them. Did you think I was going to? Plus, MCR is much more honest with their music than AFI. AFI just writes about sorrow and hating yourself and wanting to die, while MCR uses metaphors in their lyrics to present messages to their listeners. Because of that, I believe that MCR is much stronger than AFI.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL---So you're saying that "I'm not alright, I promise" is a metaphor and NOT a song about sorrow and hating yourself and wanting to die? Maybe the MCR made you so retarded that you missed how positive and hopeful AFI can be.

IAmARevenant
05-19-2006, 05:45 PM
You guys can just shut up. The only MCR song any of you have ever heard is I'm Not Okay, so quit making invalid judgements about them. And stop bullshittin me. I'm sorry for criticizing AFI, I said that like, a million posts ago. Now leave me alone. I haven't done anything to you.
MCR is a good band to me, and AFI isn't. Quit calling me stupid and retarded because of that. I'll keep my hatred towards someone I don't even know to myself, and you should too.
(by the way, how is AFI happy and positive with lyrics like "I can hate myself more than anyone else" and "hey Miss Murder, take my life" and having videos about suicide attempts?)

JohnnyNemesis
05-19-2006, 05:54 PM
I'm sorry for criticizing AFI, I said that like, a million posts ago.

Then you kept criticizing the band with untrue statements every post since.

MCR is a good band to me, and AFI isn't. Quit calling me stupid and retarded because of that.

Many intelligent people on here also dislike AFI. We don't bother them. You, however, are a fucking idiot and don't know how to post. We're calling you stupid and retarded BECAUSE YOU ARE STUPID AND RETARDED, not because of your dislike of AFI.

(by the way, how is AFI happy and positive with lyrics like "I can hate myself more than anyone else" and "hey Miss Murder, take my life" and having videos about suicide attempts?)

Oops! My mistake! They only have three songs total, all of which are negative. MY MISTAKE!

GodDAMN you are fucking stupid.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
05-19-2006, 06:09 PM
Hey, what do you think about "but home is nowhere..."? Everybody is saying here that it's the weakest song off the STS. :( :( :(

Oh yeah. I love this song too, but its not among my favorites.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
05-19-2006, 06:17 PM

With the direction MCR took their music? Ummm....those guys came out like 2 years ago. They haven't had a direction yet. Everything by them pretty much sounds the same. And yes, I have all 6 AFI albums, 2 of their E.P.s and will be getting Decemberunderground when it comes out in 2 weeks. I know how they've progressed and it has been for the better. I like all of their stuff, but their newer stuff is stronger both lyrically and musically. AFI uses metaphors moreso than MCR. And if you're going to quote a lyric, quote it the fuck right. "Hey Miss Murder can I make beauty stay if I take my life?" See the bold? you totally omitted that, completely altering the lyric's meaning. MCR is a pathetic tool of the music industry. Their music is bland, pretentious and has no significant impact in music whatsoever. AFI has never done anything pathetic like "I'm NOOOOOOOT OKAAAAYYYY!!" oh, another thing: his voice. The MCR singer's voice is fucking godawful. Plain as day, not opinion, you'd have to be deaf not to notice this: AFI is, was, and always will be lyrically and musically better than MCR. You douche. I'm done arguing with you because you've made it pretty clear that you're a huge retard that doesn't know jackshit. Once again, I'm not calling you stupid because your opinion on music is different, it's just you can't back up your statements with valid points at all. You're trying to take my arguments and regurgitate them back at me which doesn't strengthen your argument at all. You missed the point: I don't care if you don't like AFI. I just think you're being a total retard. That simple. Shut up now.

IAmARevenant
05-21-2006, 08:16 PM
With the direction MCR took their music? Ummm....those guys came out like 2 years ago. They haven't had a direction yet. Everything by them pretty much sounds the same. And yes, I have all 6 AFI albums, 2 of their E.P.s and will be getting Decemberunderground when it comes out in 2 weeks. I know how they've progressed and it has been for the better. I like all of their stuff, but their newer stuff is stronger both lyrically and musically. AFI uses metaphors moreso than MCR. And if you're going to quote a lyric, quote it the fuck right. "Hey Miss Murder can I make beauty stay if I take my life?" See the bold? you totally omitted that, completely altering the lyric's meaning. MCR is a pathetic tool of the music industry. Their music is bland, pretentious and has no significant impact in music whatsoever. AFI has never done anything pathetic like "I'm NOOOOOOOT OKAAAAYYYY!!" oh, another thing: his voice. The MCR singer's voice is fucking godawful. Plain as day, not opinion, you'd have to be deaf not to notice this: AFI is, was, and always will be lyrically and musically better than MCR. You douche. I'm done arguing with you because you've made it pretty clear that you're a huge retard that doesn't know jackshit. Once again, I'm not calling you stupid because your opinion on music is different, it's just you can't back up your statements with valid points at all. You're trying to take my arguments and regurgitate them back at me which doesn't strengthen your argument at all. You missed the point: I don't care if you don't like AFI. I just think you're being a total retard. That simple. Shut up now.

OKAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!IMSORRYIMSORRYIMSORRYIMSORRYOK AY!!!!!!! I'm not going to post on this thread anymore. Everyone would like it better if I didn't. Oh, and I'm NOT RETARDED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And, it IS your opinion that AFI is better than MCR. I'm just saying.

Here's by new validated statement of my opinion of AFI: I'm not so into their new direction of music, but others might be. I just hope that others will get into their older music as well.

Okay, I'm sorry for being this way.

Oh, and uh, MCR was formed back in '01 and their first record came out just a year later. That's a little more than 2 years ago.

JohnnyNemesis
05-21-2006, 08:20 PM
Shut the fuck UP already. FUCK.

0r4ng3
05-21-2006, 08:21 PM
I want to change my answer, or rather, make one up of my own. My favorite album so far is Black Sails, so that's, like, "transitional AFI"?

IAmARevenant
07-12-2007, 04:49 PM
.......................damn, I was fucking DUMB last year.

JohnnyNemesis
07-12-2007, 04:58 PM
Yeppity yep.

BustedKnuckles
07-12-2007, 05:01 PM
.......................damn, I was fucking DUMB last year.

And you are still dumb. Retard mutant bumper of old posts.

JohnnyNemesis
07-12-2007, 05:29 PM
Give him a chance this time.

IAmARevenant
07-12-2007, 08:15 PM
And you are still dumb. Retard mutant bumper of old posts.
:rolleyes: do you even know me? Why don't you explain how I'm so dumb.

for the sake of the thread, let me get back on topic:

I'm pretty neutral about old and new AFI. My least favorite albums are Sing the Sorrow and Very Proud of Ya, though.

WebDudette
07-14-2007, 01:23 AM
Whats the line that is drawn between old/new? Everything up to Art of Drowning = Old/Black Sails in the Sunset and up=New?

Enix Belmont
07-15-2007, 10:44 PM
Sing the sorrow is their best album, but everythign after sucked. I dont like black sails, but all their other albums are good. So.....I guess new just for sing the sorrow.

JohnnyNemesis
07-15-2007, 11:06 PM
Shut up.

RickyCrack
07-15-2007, 11:11 PM
I vote that Davey Havok is a girl and all his music sucks, and you are all fags for listening to him.

britt.45
07-19-2007, 03:35 PM
no.
I vote all of it rules.
What (besides the makeup, etc.) makes anyone think Davey Havok's a girl?.??!

DeAtHsTaR
07-20-2007, 01:05 AM
Whats the line that is drawn between old/new? Everything up to Art of Drowning = Old/Black Sails in the Sunset and up=New?

Black Sails came out before AoD.

To answer the question, I own Black Sails in the Sunset, The Art of Drowning, and Sing the Sorrow, and to me this is the Holy Trinity of AFI. The earlier stuff (first 3 albums) gets old very quickly, and DecemberUnderground sucked from what I've heard.

German Andres
07-20-2007, 06:53 AM
I`m not a fan, but I love a pair of songs, that according to a friend of mine, are old. The ones i listen more often are total immnortal and the boy who destroyed the world. I downloaded a few that were "new" but I didn`t like them.

DeAtHsTaR
07-20-2007, 12:52 PM
I`m not a fan, but I love a pair of songs, that according to a friend of mine, are old. The ones i listen more often are total immnortal and the boy who destroyed the world. I downloaded a few that were "new" but I didn`t like them.

Those songs are from the All Hallows EP, released in 1999, which is middle-era AFI, which is by far the best.