PDA

View Full Version : Hostel

Zack
01-09-2006, 07:06 PM
Has anybody seen this movie? I thought it was pretty kool. Anybody's opinion?

coke_a_holic
01-09-2006, 07:13 PM
Now I know not to see it (as if Quentin Tarantino's name wasn't enough already). I could sense the plotlessness through the commercials.

Betty
01-09-2006, 07:48 PM
I found the characters and setting to be entertaining. The first half of the movie could've been setting the scene for something entirely different than a horror.

The plot was just disturbing enough to leave a little bit of impact. Not terrifying, but a little disturbing. It wasn't as corny as a lot of the horrors out there, which I appreciated.

It was incredibly gory, which in and of itself can be entertaining to a degree if you're into that kinda thing. Or it can be a huge turn off.

I would recommend it to a select audience as a relatively entertaining watch and rate it as either average or above average in the horror genre.

nieh
01-09-2006, 08:27 PM
My friend just told me it was disgustingly gory for the sole purpose of being disgustingly gory and that I shouldn't see it. I might still give it a shot.

Vera
01-10-2006, 12:25 AM
I saw a clip on Conan and it was waaaaay creepy. I don't really dig horror, even if it's Tarantino cool, so I'm not going to check it out.

Moose
01-10-2006, 12:50 AM
tarantino has nothing to do with the movie...hes just the producer, he didnt write or direct it...that was eli roth...and i saw it...wasnt good...first 45 minutes was boobs pot and more boobs...then it was some more useless stuff that occurs to characters you really dont care much about, except for the natural reaction of the whole get away thing, but in the end you could careless...lets say, oh hes dead, 7 seconds later when there is some european girl talking, you dont care anymore that this guy died...so undeveloped characters, no new edgy directing, bad acting, and an undeveloped plot leads to a bad movie...the hunting club...youre better off just seeing that old movie with ice t, surviving the game....either way both hostil and surviving the game suck.

p.s. tarantino is the man

Sunny
01-10-2006, 01:03 AM
i love horror movies, but i don't want to see this one. :/ i can't deal with scenes of torture. and human-human gory violence freaks me out/makes me sick. alien/monster/ghost-human violence doesn't bug me though. weird.

so no thanks.

the_offsprings_monkey
01-10-2006, 01:08 AM
Anything with the name Quentin Tarantino's on it is going to be good.

killer_queen
01-10-2006, 01:55 AM
Now this is stupid. Watching a movie just because there's Tarantino's name on it is stupid. Noone can make great movies, write great novels or compose great songs always. All the successful people have bad works too. You can't expect everything Tarantino does to be good. Especially when he's just the producer.

Paint_It_Black
01-10-2006, 09:39 AM
Now this is stupid. Watching a movie just because there's Tarantino's name on it is stupid. Noone can make great movies, write great novels or compose great songs always. All the successful people have bad works too. You can't expect everything Tarantino does to be good. Especially when he's just the producer.

I would generally agree, and yet almost everything with Tarantino's name on it is good. Although I strongly disliked Sin City.

Andy
01-10-2006, 10:33 AM
I've never heard of it. Just to let you know.

T-6005
01-10-2006, 11:14 AM
Kill Bill part 2 was easily one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Paint_It_Black
01-10-2006, 11:25 AM

Wow. Did you like the coffin scene at least?

T-6005
01-10-2006, 11:28 AM
The coffin scene was slightly redeeming, but the rest was such a pile of crap that it wasn't worth watching. Had they made it just the coffin scene, it would have been much better.

Paint_It_Black
01-10-2006, 11:30 AM
I'm a fan of Tarantino's more conventional work, but I appreciated Kill Bill for the artistic vision etc.

Andy
01-10-2006, 11:31 AM
I enjoy every Tarantino film. Even Jackie Brown :eek:

Paint_It_Black
01-10-2006, 11:34 AM
Jackie Brown was a little dry for a Tarantino film, but still a decent film overall.

Andy
01-10-2006, 11:35 AM
I think it's probably because he didn't write it himself, it lacks that certain soul and quality that his other early films posessed.

T-6005
01-10-2006, 11:36 AM
I honestly thought Pulp Fiction was his best work. I think he's pretty overrated for the rest of his movies. As for Kill Bill... the first was alright, but I found the second shocking.

All in all, I just think that Tarantino is blown way out of proportion.

ninthlayer
01-10-2006, 11:37 AM
Fuck Tarantino and fuck you.

Paint_It_Black
01-10-2006, 11:39 AM
I think it's probably because he didn't write it himself, it lacks that certain soul and quality that his other early films posessed.

I wasn't aware that he didn't write it, but that would explain the problem perfectly. I'm a much bigger fan of his writing than anything else. And for the record, Reservoir Dogs is my favourite.

Andy
01-10-2006, 11:45 AM
I wasn't aware that he didn't write it, but that would explain the problem perfectly. I'm a much bigger fan of his writing than anything else. And for the record, Reservoir Dogs is my favourite.

Yeah, well, it's based on a novel. I can't remember what it was called though. It had Rum in the title I think. The dialoge Tarantino writes is the best part of the films, agreed. The "Like A Virgin" speech is genius.

Paint_It_Black
01-10-2006, 11:59 AM
The "Like A Virgin" speech is genius.

I'm quite fond of that entire scene.

>:->
01-10-2006, 12:05 PM
gore.......

ruroken
01-10-2006, 12:07 PM
gore.......
Your username rapes my eyes. Please get a new one.

nieh
01-10-2006, 12:47 PM

I'm pretty sure he actually did write the screenplay for it. Even if it was based on a book, that still leaves a lot of potential for him to make it his own.

Anyways, whoever it was that was saying Kill Bill 2 was shit needs to watch it back to back with vol. 1. They're two halves of the same movie, they were written together as one big thing. If you watch the second half of the movie on its own, you're going to be missing out on a lot. I wasn't too thrilled when I first saw it in theaters, but it seemed quite a bit better after watching them in a row.

Andy
01-10-2006, 12:58 PM
Rum Punch? It could have been that

Betty
01-10-2006, 02:47 PM
I thorougly enjoyed Kill Bill 2. I personally prefer it to 1.

And Pulp Fiction is my favourite of the ones I've seen.

original_prankster
01-10-2006, 02:49 PM
This looks really good. It looks way better than Cabin Fever, which fucking sucks.

Btw, I'm comparing them because they're both directed by the same guy.

nieh
01-10-2006, 02:59 PM
I thorougly enjoyed Kill Bill 2. I personally prefer it to 1.

And Pulp Fiction is my favourite of the ones I've seen.

I think the main reason I was diappointed with it when I first saw it was because I was expecting more of the same and it was done in a completely different style from the first. Still, they both form a really good whole.

Betty
01-10-2006, 03:09 PM
I agree it was fairly different, but I enjoyed those differences.

Andy
01-10-2006, 03:38 PM
Cabin Fever

HAHAHAHAHAHAH Cabin Fever was bollocks. Although, it did have it's moments, like when the guy was fucking that girls wound.. Ooh, and when she was shaving in the bath and her skin was coming off. Possibly the only two good things in that film.

I think it also had a Deliverance reference as well, which makes 3 good things.

noodle654
01-10-2006, 03:40 PM
yeah i saw it at my local movie theater and a 22 girl had a heartattack. this wasnt really a movie, it was pretty much....you get it

Not Ozymandias
01-12-2006, 04:00 AM
Fuck Tarantino and fuck you.
I generally agree. Since I'm not a teenager, seeing Tarantino's loathesome name on a movie is a big "stay the fuck away" sign to me.

Not Ozymandias
01-12-2006, 04:01 AM
The first one was worse.

Paint_It_Black
01-12-2006, 06:46 AM
Betty, I also preferred the second one.

HAHAHAHAHAHAH Cabin Fever was bollocks. Although, it did have it's moments, like when the guy was fucking that girls wound.. Ooh, and when she was shaving in the bath and her skin was coming off. Possibly the only two good things in that film.

I think it also had a Deliverance reference as well, which makes 3 good things.

Nah, there were lots of funny bits in that. Didn't you even like the "it's for the niggers" joke? That cracked me up.