PDA

View Full Version : PC users get pwned

Sunny
01-11-2006, 07:07 AM
first of:

http://images.apple.com/macbookpro/gallery/images/macbookpro0120060109.jpg

second of: Apple's new ad campaign for their new laptop makes me happy in the pants.

"What's an Intel chip doing in a Mac? A whole lot more than it's ever done in a PC".

Anybody seen the TV commercial yet? i laughed sooo hard. it's basically about how the Intel chip has been stuck in PCs, "performing dull little tasks" (exact quote), and now it's been set free. =p

hashashaahsh. it was wonderful. i am such a nerd. i wonder if anybody else got a kick out of it. :P

the_offsprings_monkey
01-11-2006, 07:12 AM
...Most people don't really care aslong as they can browse the internet and do what they want on their computer, going for a computer based on looks and make is stupid as fuck.

Sunny
01-11-2006, 07:17 AM
you're an idiot if you think the strongest feature of a Mac is its looks.

of course "most people" don't care, they just want their games and their Internet Explorer. The thing is, those people are not the target audience for this computer. :] which is exactly why the Intel commercial talks about people "performing dull little tasks on their little PCs". As the commercial states, this computer is geared towards the creative class, which, um, is not a category you belong to.

most of the media industry uses Macs. coincidence? i don't think so.

reader
01-11-2006, 07:20 AM
Most of the media are shallow people who go for looks :p

99% of people use PC's 1% use Mac. PC pwns Mac.

Tizzalicious
01-11-2006, 07:22 AM
you're an idiot if you think the strongest feature of a Mac is its looks.

They do look very sexy though.

And I like the ad =)

Sunny
01-11-2006, 07:24 AM
reader - and you think the whole industry picked Macs cause they look better? that's just sad. also, just because something is widespread doesn't mean it's good.

Tizz, thank you for gracing this thread with your presence, i was slowly losing faith in humanity. =p

the_offsprings_monkey
01-11-2006, 07:29 AM
reader - and you think the whole industry picked Macs cause they look better? that's just sad. also, just because something is widespread doesn't mean it's good.

Tizz, thank you for gracing this thread with your presence, i was slowly losing faith in humanity. =p
meh Something like what my mother said once.

Izie
01-11-2006, 07:30 AM
Bahahaha, I like the ad :D

Andy
01-11-2006, 07:34 AM
What's the ad like?

No bother, I just re-read the first post.

the_offsprings_monkey
01-11-2006, 07:35 AM
What's the ad like?
Apple like to show off their TV ads, you'll probaly see one lying around on their website, or if you got a 3pay phone you should get a text asking you if you want to download the ad for free. :rolleyes:

PC with Windows Vista > Mac with crappy what ever they run on

T-6005
01-11-2006, 07:48 AM
TOM, I think it's pretty widely accepted that media work is a lot more effective on a Mac than a PC. And for good reason. I use a PC, but were I to try some movie editing, I'd wish I had a Mac. Or a shitload more RAM and disk space than I have now.

Endymion
01-11-2006, 08:07 AM
Most of the media are shallow people who go for looks :p

99% of people use PC's 1% use Mac. PC pwns Mac.
it's closer to 95%, i believe. 3% with mac, 2% linux, something less than 1% on others. that 3% is slowly growing. most of the scientists and engineers at General Atomics, a heavily funded commercial research place (they have a working fusion reactor, a working maglev track, etc) use macs. just for the looks? i doubt it.

and vista's a joke.

Lars
01-11-2006, 08:08 AM
PC with Windows Vista > Mac with crappy what ever they run on
lolzz, sure... OSX, which is based on BSD.

I want to see the ad as well.

Finally intels are coming in use. Going to have to wait a bit longer for a new umm, are they still going to be power macs?

Sin Studly
01-11-2006, 09:02 AM
My sister just bought a mac. I don't like it. The mouse won't right-click.

Andy
01-11-2006, 09:03 AM

There's a way of doing that I found out accidentally on my friends mac. I think I did it by just holding down the clicker.

Endymion
01-11-2006, 09:06 AM
There's a way of doing that I found out accidentally on my friends mac. I think I did it by just holding down the clicker.
...or by spending ten bucks to buy a 2+ button mouse? they're fully natively supported on the mac, they're just not supplied by default.

Preocupado
01-11-2006, 09:08 AM
most of the media industry uses Macs. coincidence? i don't think so.

Indeed. My brother owns a graphics designing company and if he ever sees a PC in there he will kick it straight to Venus. 100% Apple computers at his business.

However, at home, he tolerates a pc at his room. You know, to browse his e-mails, forums, and playing some GTA.

Andy
01-11-2006, 09:09 AM
It doesn't bother me, I'm happily using a PC. The people I know who use macs don't seem very bothered by the lack of right button, but then that could just be because they're too tight to buy a new mouse.

I don't like using macs. The fancy popup menu is too exciting for me I'm afraid.

Preocupado
01-11-2006, 09:13 AM
You know what? I lied up there. There isn't 100% of Apple comps in the company. They got PCs in the reception, for the secretaries.

Nina
01-11-2006, 09:25 AM

Is mac really better?
I plan on buying a mac/pc sometime soon, I just soooo cannot decide. Is it easy to handle? Can someone explain to me what the differences are when it comes to using it (not really what it can/cant do better, because I can read that up myself)? How will it probably be like for a person who has always only used a pc and isnt exactly good with that type of stuff (me)?

Lars
01-11-2006, 09:28 AM
It doesn't bother me, I'm happily using a PC. The people I know who use macs don't seem very bothered by the lack of right button, but then that could just be because they're too tight to buy a new mouse.
That's kind of true, in the x years (I can't remember how long, its a 466) I've owned my power mac I've not bought a new mouse... I've been too lazy and or saw no need, plus I just use it mainly now for video storage/editing/dvd burning/dv tape duplication which don't really need two buttons. When I got my ibook I just bought a generic cheap mouse with two buttons and a scroll wheel though, I then managed to break that and haven't bought a new one yet...

I'm finding the 'have your say' topic on the bbc site a bit amusing/stupid
http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jspa?threadID=736&&edition=1&ttl=20060111162647

*edit: Nina, could be a bit frustrating, it sometimes seems like that for a pc user, but also the other way around as you're used to how that operating system works. Once you get used to it, it's quite easy ofcourse.

Preocupado
01-11-2006, 09:35 AM

Is mac really better?
I plan on buying a mac/pc sometime soon, I just soooo cannot decide. Is it easy to handle? Can someone explain to me what the differences are when it comes to using it (not really what it can/cant do better, because I can read that up myself)? How will it probably be like for a person who has always only used a pc and isnt exactly good with that type of stuff (me)?

this will be a great shock:

there's a single button at the mouse. in fact, the whole mouse is a button :p

also, you'll have to get used to the interface. the windows at the screen aren't closed squares that go one above the other as layers. The buttons from a certain program can be in the same layer as another program, all displayed at the same time at the screen. It's a bit strange at the beggining.

Tijs
01-11-2006, 09:35 AM
I use both a Mac and a PC. I haven't used a Mac that much yet but I'm starting to like it more and more as I'm starting to understand it more and more.

But for now, I prefer a PC, since almost everything is released for PC and not for a Mac.

Kaerren
01-11-2006, 09:43 AM
I've noticed that everyone who takes their graphics work seriously, uses a Mac. I think the main problem is that so many people are used to PC's and the way they work/are set out, that they don't want to change. It means learning a new system from scratch. Also, another disadvantage is that most programs are aimed at PC. Also, I don't think Mac's are compatible with the newer version of Yahoo Messenger and for a while, weren't compatible with the new MSN Messenger. Small things can sway people against Macs.

sKratch
01-11-2006, 10:51 AM
lolz I have an AMD 64 processor?

And Magdalena, you sounded somewhat insane in your firs post.

Kitten
01-11-2006, 11:37 AM
The more I am finding out about Mac's and the more problems my PC is giving me, the more tempting it is becoming to go out and get a Mac. However, the price is rather high compared to the PC, and the parts are expensive as well.
But Mac's have Garage Band... :(

Go to http://www.apple.com to see the ad. It's on the front page, or at least, a graphic is.

The Living Abortion
01-11-2006, 12:16 PM
meh Something like what my mother said once.

You really aren't funny.

Sometimes I wonder what a vagina looks like (never been through one at birth and all), but I imagine it's something like you.

kami_mathieu
01-11-2006, 12:20 PM
I'm verry anoyed with you, yet curious who you are, are you planning on telling us your real identity in the near future?

Andy
01-11-2006, 12:22 PM
He doesn't have one. He's a foetus. Duh.

Slim Pickens The Bomb Rider
01-11-2006, 12:49 PM
I just love my Mac. I can't believe 95% is using windows! The mac is so easy to work with, has much more to offer then only graphic software. But I am convinced that the Mac OSX is by far better than Windows.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-11-2006, 12:52 PM
I was pwnd without realising :(

Megs
01-11-2006, 12:55 PM
I was pwnd without realising :(
same here :( :(

reader
01-11-2006, 02:28 PM
I wonder how much people who buy apple products pay for the heavy marketing.

China Boy
01-11-2006, 03:21 PM
To me PC is like a console- I only use it for games, while I use my Mac for everything else.

Unfortunately they don't show that commercial on Swedish television, but just the ad itself is hilarious.

0r4ng3
01-11-2006, 03:29 PM
I'm double pwned. I have a Windows PC, so I'm missing out on the good qualities of the Mac. Also, my computer is too unstable to handle games larger than SimCity 1, so all I can do is go on the internet, and use iTunes.

JohnnyNemesis
01-11-2006, 08:02 PM
I just made the jump to Mac recently, and I feel horribly filthy for ever settling for a PC now that I've switched over.

*high fives Magdalena*

Oh, and godDAMN, I really honestly can't believe how fucking stuh-YOO-PID TOM is. GODFUCKINGDAMNHELL.

Preocupado
01-11-2006, 09:01 PM
To me PC is like a console- I only use it for games, while I use my Mac for everything else.

fucking millionaire's BBS

All About Eve
01-11-2006, 09:02 PM
I've never used a Mac except at school, and those suck, so it kind of turned me off of them. But if I ever needed a more in depth computer, I'd definately check them out.

T-6005
01-11-2006, 09:08 PM
I'm just familiar with the way PCs work... and I don't truly have a need for anything powerful. So I'm quite satisfied with a PC.

arak0r
01-11-2006, 09:19 PM
who gives a flip about an intel in a mac :p ill take am amd 64 fx anything over intel.

Omni
01-11-2006, 09:46 PM

Is mac really better?

Oh, yeah. Mac's are more user-friendly, crash less, and less virus-prone (at least my brother's Mac OS is, I'm not sure about other models) than PCs. The only thing is, PCs have the Intel chip, which is what makes them more compatible with games than Macs, but now that they're switching, that also takes care of gaming needs. Leaving you with virtually NO reason to have a PC over a Mac at all. It's a shame that PCs will still do well, considering the fact that people are dumb and don't bother to do a little research before they choose a computer.

arak0r
01-11-2006, 09:49 PM
The only thing is, PCs have the Intel chip, which is what makes them more compatible with games than Macs,

because all pc's have intel.

people are dumb and don't bother to do a little research before they choose a computer.

gonna emphasize on this now.

arak0r
01-11-2006, 10:00 PM
btw, gluck getting those games to work just because macs use intel now, as the OS is still not windows.

Endymion
01-11-2006, 10:32 PM
I've never used a Mac except at school, and those suck, so it kind of turned me off of them. But if I ever needed a more in depth computer, I'd definately check them out.
apple sucked real bad when steve jobs wasn't at the head. the OS6-9 were steaming piles of crap. then jobs came back with NeXT and thus was born OSX, which is good.

btw, gluck getting those games to work just because macs use intel now, as the OS is still not windows.
correct. it has more to do with the API and the open hardware standards than who makes the processor.

Zack
01-11-2006, 10:47 PM
wowowowowowowowowowowowowowo

Nina
01-12-2006, 01:13 PM
Oh, yeah. Mac's are more user-friendly, crash less, and less virus-prone (at least my brother's Mac OS is, I'm not sure about other models) than PCs. The only thing is, PCs have the Intel chip, which is what makes them more compatible with games than Macs, but now that they're switching, that also takes care of gaming needs. Leaving you with virtually NO reason to have a PC over a Mac at all. It's a shame that PCs will still do well, considering the fact that people are dumb and don't bother to do a little research before they choose a computer.

Thanks! If that is what most people think, I'll believe in you all and finally buy a Mac in a couple months. They're pretty expensive tho, right :/

JohnnyNemesis
01-12-2006, 01:28 PM

Drop dead .

the_offsprings_monkey
01-12-2006, 02:22 PM
What was the point behind this post seriously? your just a waste of space. *Drops iron*

HornyPope
01-12-2006, 02:32 PM
Looks like the new Macs will support the Vista.

Edit: oh yeah, the link - http://engadget.com/2006/01/11/no-xp-on-intel-macs-but-vista-is-good-to-go/

the_offsprings_monkey
01-12-2006, 02:40 PM
Looks like the new Macs will support the Vista.
....That sounds somewhat weird, yet I love the sound of that.

Endymion
01-12-2006, 04:01 PM
They're pretty expensive tho, right :/
yeah, they are =/

speaking of which, this guy in engineering owes me one! i need to call him, he said it would be in the week.

wee!

Nina
01-13-2006, 01:33 AM
SO JEALOUS.

I think you should give it to me.

SicN Twisted
01-13-2006, 10:09 AM
As a music producer and engineer, mac ownz pc six ways from sunday.

Omni
01-13-2006, 01:44 PM
Meh, I guess my information wasn't 100% correct, but it got the point across well enough. Thanks for the corrections.

Endymion
01-13-2006, 04:29 PM
this (http://www.grc.com/sn/SN-022.htm) is a very interesting read...