PDA

View Full Version : If you were buying an IPod....

Linda
12-05-2004, 01:40 PM
...which model would you buy out of these 2 ?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1087340766240&skuId=6737374&type=product

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1087341320120&skuId=6741671&type=product

GBH2
12-05-2004, 01:42 PM
whats the difference?

Linda
12-05-2004, 01:54 PM
I don't know, that's why I'm asking. :(

Unnatural Disaster
12-05-2004, 02:16 PM
One of them has a 1 year warranty

Lars
12-05-2004, 02:24 PM
From the quick glance I've had, the one has a link with hp in it I think. So that would make it the HP branded one. So I don't think there are any major differences between them. Maybe the hp site will say more about the differences (if there are any).

Unnatural disaster, they should all come with a 1 year warranty as standard.

*edit: it says in the description bit that the HP one comes with a voice recorder, so I'd assume it's a griffin imic that you can plug into it.

MirandaV
12-05-2004, 02:58 PM
I-pods fucking rule, but they're so expensive
Plus, you can't get music from internet straightaway, which doesnt botter me, tho.
Why don't you buy one with less than 40G? (If you're going to buy one)

Unnatural Disaster
12-05-2004, 03:01 PM
My dad got a Lyra, they are almost the same thing and they're $150 less.

dirty_magic
12-05-2004, 03:18 PM
but you cant beat an ipod

nitropenguin!
12-05-2004, 03:34 PM
I want an iPod :(

Tijs
12-05-2004, 04:19 PM
Model: M9268LL/A

========================

Warranty Terms - Parts 1 year limited
Warranty Terms - Labour 1 year limited
I can't see this at model PE436A#ABA

========================

Upgradable firmware enables support for future audio formats
Important, because there are a lot of changes in formats.
Model PE436A#ABA doesn't have this.

========================

Model: M9268LL/A supports:
MP3 (32 to 320 Kbps)
MP3 VBR
AAC (16 to 320 Kbps)
Audible
AIFF
Apple Lossless
WAV

While PE436A#ABA supports:
AAC
MP3
MP3 VBR
Audible
AIFF
AppleŽ Lossless
WAV

========================

Remote control is optional on Model: M9268LL/A, not on Model: PE436A#ABA.

========================

Sytem requirements for Model: M9268LL/A:
AppleŽ Macintosh with Mac OS X 10.1.5 or later (Mac OS X 10.3 or later recommended);
PC with Windows 2000 SP4 or XP (Home or Pro);
FireWire or USB 2.0 port (USB 2.0 on Mac requires Mac OS X 10.3.4)

Sytem requirements for Model: PE436A#ABA has:
Windows 2000 (SP 4), XP Home Edition, XP Professional;
FireWire or USB 2.0 port (or FireWire or USB 2.0 card)

So Model: M9268LL/A can be used on more computers.

========================

There you go.

I'd say go for Model: M9268LL/A (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1087341320120&skuId=6741671&type=product)

TheUnholyNightbringer
12-05-2004, 04:27 PM
What Tijs said.

(Side note: If I was buying an Ipod, I'd wonder how the hell I got so much money, and furthermore if any more was on the way.)

Chris
12-05-2004, 04:33 PM
Ipod=death to my cd collection

I could never bring that upon it, plus don't exactly have that much money anyway to spend on one

Linda
12-05-2004, 04:38 PM
Tijs - Thanks for your help!

TheUnholyNightbringer - :D Don't have that problem myself!

Everyone else - Thanks also for your help!

This is my solution to the sniffer problem! :)

Lars
12-05-2004, 04:38 PM
Model: M9268LL/A

========================

Warranty Terms - Parts 1 year limited
Warranty Terms - Labour 1 year limited
I can't see this at model PE436A#ABA All iPods purchased new come with a 1 year warranty

========================

Upgradable firmware enables support for future audio formats
Important, because there are a lot of changes in formats.
Model PE436A#ABA doesn't have this.All iPods have the option of upgradeable firmware, it's and internet download from Apple

========================

Model: M9268LL/A supports:
MP3 (32 to 320 Kbps)
MP3 VBR
AAC (16 to 320 Kbps)
Audible
AIFF
Apple Lossless
WAV

While PE436A#ABA supports:
AAC
MP3
MP3 VBR
Audible
AIFF
AppleŽ Lossless
WAV

========================

Remote control is optional on Model: M9268LL/A, not on Model: PE436A#ABA. It may say optional, but you can still buy one from Apple and it should work with it, but double check it.

========================

Sytem requirements for Model: M9268LL/A:
AppleŽ Macintosh with Mac OS X 10.1.5 or later (Mac OS X 10.3 or later recommended);
PC with Windows 2000 SP4 or XP (Home or Pro);
FireWire or USB 2.0 port (USB 2.0 on Mac requires Mac OS X 10.3.4)

Sytem requirements for Model: PE436A#ABA has:
Windows 2000 (SP 4), XP Home Edition, XP Professional;
FireWire or USB 2.0 port (or FireWire or USB 2.0 card)

So Model: M9268LL/A can be used on more computers.All new iPods should work on both Windows and Apple operating systems.

========================

There you go.

I'd say go for Model: M9268LL/A (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1087341320120&skuId=6741671&type=product)

So that's my breakdown. I'd also suggest looking at iriver products, they put out quite nice machines.

TheUnholyNightbringer
12-05-2004, 04:39 PM
Aah, I see. Driving an Ipod into her skull.

Good solution!

Linda
12-05-2004, 05:00 PM
haha If driving something into her skull was the solution, I wouldn't need an
Ipod! :p

I'd need a good lawyer!!!!!!!

TheUnholyNightbringer
12-05-2004, 05:02 PM
Or a fast car.

Linda
12-05-2004, 06:00 PM
haha True!

pie.
12-05-2004, 11:26 PM
ipods love piracy...

so i would never have got one.

vintagepunkrock7
01-26-2005, 12:28 AM
So for those that already have Ipods, what do u think of them? i have been considering getting one lately but one of the things i was wondering about is the song selection. does itunes have a good selection and is itunes the only place i can get songs or are there other places? its probly going to be awhile before i am able to get one cuz well i have alot of bills and dont make much money to begin with, but i was just wondering if it was worth it.

Talman
01-26-2005, 06:51 AM
Ipod=death to my cd collection

I could never bring that upon it, plus don't exactly have that much money anyway to spend on one

I only put mp3's on my ipod. I keep my CDs at home for listening pleasure.
________
Wendie 99 (http://www.lovelywendie99.com/)

Linda
01-26-2005, 07:35 AM
I LOVE MY IPOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
It was well worth the money! Hell yeah!!!!!!

Pinocchio
01-26-2005, 07:47 AM
I prefer my creative zen touch, wonder how they managed to crush 20GB into so small space..

even more miraclous thing is that koreans(don`t know how to write it in english, just guessing) managed to put 1 Tera bit of data in one CD,which ofcourse isn`t normal cd but looks the same.

Linda
01-26-2005, 01:07 PM
Mine is 40GB.

Sunny
01-26-2005, 01:38 PM
So for those that already have Ipods, what do u think of them? i have been considering getting one lately but one of the things i was wondering about is the song selection. does itunes have a good selection and is itunes the only place i can get songs or are there other places? its probly going to be awhile before i am able to get one cuz well i have alot of bills and dont make much money to begin with, but i was just wondering if it was worth it.

i absolutely love my ipod. i rarely ever leave the house without it, hehe. one bad thing about them is that they seem to be really fragile, and the hard drives fail easily. :/ (apple replaces them for free though) my boyfriend's already gone through 3 ipods. the one i have right now is my second, and it's working nicely.

i don't buy songs though, so i dunno about the itunes selection.

but. yeah. get one. they're worth the $.

Tired_Of_You
01-26-2005, 01:50 PM

I love it and I have a 20gb. It works well, but I have a scratch on the screen :( If I'd have to buy one ( I won it ) I'd probably buy an iPod mini because it's less expensive and I doubt I'll use the 20gb I could use right now. I don't know for the selection of songs, but you don't need to buy songs from Itunes, anyway. You can use Limewire (it's what I do) and I guess Kazaa too. You only have to transfer your songs on iTunes, or it does it by itself. So my answer is buy one!

Offspring_01
01-26-2005, 02:47 PM
I was told that to replace the battery it costs like $200. They last for like 2 years. Is that true? I was also told that they are rechargeable batteries. I'm probably getting one, once I save up enough money. They seem cool.

Sunny
01-26-2005, 03:07 PM
it's $70-$80 for a new battery.

Mota Boy
01-26-2005, 03:28 PM
www.xmradio.com/myfi/index.jsp

I'd also suggest looking into the myfi. I just got one for Christmas and it kicks ass.

vintagepunkrock7
02-24-2005, 10:34 PM
i was thinking about using some of my refund check to buy an ipod cuz i want one so bad, but i think i am gonna wait cuz i think i might be getting one for my birthday from my boyfriend. he is always telling me i dont need one lol but its the only thing he knows i really want and i just have a feeling. man, if he gets me an ipod, then im gonna have to get him something REALLY good. im so bad at gift buying i better start thinking now, i only have till november lol

Linda
02-25-2005, 07:58 PM
i absolutely love my ipod. i rarely ever leave the house without it, hehe. one bad thing about them is that they seem to be really fragile, and the hard drives fail easily. :/ (apple replaces them for free though) my boyfriend's already gone through 3 ipods. the one i have right now is my second, and it's working nicely.

i don't buy songs though, so i dunno about the itunes selection.

but. yeah. get one. they're worth the $.

Sunny, how often is the hard drive failing? I haven't had any problems with mine, and I've had mine since beginning of December 2004.

Betty
02-26-2005, 12:10 AM
I've mildly considered getting one...

Pros:
-small (e.g. good for jogging)
-can listen to more than one CD's worth of songs during the course of my day cause with my discman I'm stuck with the morning's selection

Cons:
-expensive, have higher priority items to buy
-fragile (?)
-my poor CD's!!!

vintagepunkrock7
03-08-2005, 09:26 PM
only 27 more days till i get my ipod. question though, if i have mp3's on my computer i can transfer them to my ipod right? and are there any special connections or cords i need to get to do that or is it an electronic thing like when i get ringtones for my phone? sorry for all the questions!

Proph
03-08-2005, 09:31 PM
You need a cord. Mine came with one that connects to a mac, but i had to buy a seperate one that i can connect to my home comp.

Sunny
03-08-2005, 09:33 PM
the cords that come with the iPod connect to BOTH mac and pc (i have both). there's no such thing as a cord that only connects to macs! you only have to get an extra cord if your computer is old and doesn't support firewire/usb 2.

;x

Proph
03-08-2005, 09:35 PM
Mine doesn't have firewire, or else i didn't look hard enough. Whatever.

Rag Doll
03-08-2005, 09:37 PM
I've had mine since mid June 2004, and I haven't had a problem with it yet, Linda.

Linda
03-08-2005, 09:49 PM
only 27 more days till i get my ipod. question though, if i have mp3's on my computer i can transfer them to my ipod right? and are there any special connections or cords i need to get to do that or is it an electronic thing like when i get ringtones for my phone? sorry for all the questions!

Yes, you can transfer your mp3's to your iPod. You will have to install iTunes to your computer in order to do that tho. The cords you need come with the iPod. There is one to connect your iPod to your computer, and one to plug into an electrical outlet to charge your battery.

Thanks, Sami! I didn't think anyone was ever gonna answer me! I truly believe my iPod has been my best investment. I have listened to it so much since I got it. Now I actually listen to the music I have, never played my cds.
:)

Sunny
03-08-2005, 09:49 PM
Sunny, how often is the hard drive failing? I haven't had any problems with mine, and I've had mine since beginning of December 2004.

hmm. i suppose it depends on how lucky you are. from what ive been told, portable hard drives tend to fail more often than desktop hard drives.. because you carry them around and they can get messed up easily. as i said.. I know people who take good care of their stuff, and their iPods keep failing. But I know a lot of people who have had their iPods for quite a while and never experienced any problems. So.. I don't know, really. eep

Just make sure you have your music backed up somewhere (it hurts to lose 20gb of mp3s.. *sigh*).

Linda
03-08-2005, 09:53 PM
Thanks, Sunny! :) So far so good! I take it to work everyday. When I start getting irritated at people there, that's when I listen to it. Most of my music is from cd's I bought over the years. It's all on my computer. Some of the songs didn't copy right tho. Probably the cd is bad? There are some that skip rather large portions of the songs, and I don't think they have a cd extra on them. My iPod is 40GB and I only have 4-1/2 GB on it! lol I need more music! :D

Rag Doll
03-08-2005, 10:02 PM
No problem.

I love my iPod, but I am so lazy with it..I always forget to charge it, I take forever to put new MP3's on it...etc. It's awful.

Linda
03-08-2005, 10:12 PM
I charge mine just about every day! One of these days I'm gonna find all the songs that skip and see if I can get them to copy to my computer right. That will take a long time tho. I'll be doing that when I get REALLY bored! lol

vintagepunkrock7
03-08-2005, 11:45 PM
thanks, you guys have been so nice with my million questions. hopefully i will be one of the lucky ones with the whole hard drive thing. and linda, your avatar is adorable, i love it. :D

HeadAroundU
03-09-2005, 02:24 AM
I have Creative MUVO2 and its KICK ASS!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.ixbt.com/cm/news/2003/creative-muvo2.jpg

Bazza
03-09-2005, 02:49 AM
haven't got an mp3 player, but do have a minidisc player, which are kick ass

Slim Pickens The Bomb Rider
03-09-2005, 05:21 AM
The iPod rules,it's from apple so it's always good. Have my baby about a year now and I still use her every day :D

Sunny
03-09-2005, 07:04 AM
I charge mine just about every day! One of these days I'm gonna find all the songs that skip and see if I can get them to copy to my computer right. That will take a long time tho. I'll be doing that when I get REALLY bored! lol

hehe, I charge mine every day too.. I'm pretty neurotic about it, because I *HATE* it when my battery dies when I'm out... so I throw my ipod in the dock the second I get home.

Good luck with sorting the song problem out!

RXP
03-09-2005, 07:07 AM
Is an iPod a Li-ion batt? If so let it drain fully otherwise if you charge it when it's got say half a charge in it, you will reduce batt life.

IIRC too you can't change iPod's batteries you have to send off to get it done for you.

Linda
03-09-2005, 07:37 AM
and linda, your avatar is adorable, i love it. :D

Thanks! :D

Sunny, thank you too! I don't know why that happened. The cds play fine on my computer. Maybe I was just copying too many all at once? I dunno.

vintagepunkrock7
03-24-2005, 11:15 PM
i got my ipod early, i LOVE it! its going everywhere with me. i just have to make it pretty, now to find the duct tape, lol

Linda
03-25-2005, 01:16 PM
Cool! Have fun with it! :D