PDA

View Full Version : A Rumor??

Amelie
12-05-2004, 12:59 PM
Has The Offspring always been so popular? I mean, I've heard that there was a time, when they was really hated in USA. Is it true? By whom they were hated and why?

GreenTerror
12-05-2004, 01:26 PM
I thnk that might have been after smash when they went on the major lable for Ixnay. They lost alot of fans and alot of people hated them, but I think they made the right choice by the way Brett Gurewitz was treating them.

yamabeans709
12-05-2004, 01:30 PM
then i think they won them all back with americana, i'm assuming

habbo
12-05-2004, 01:45 PM
Has The Offspring always been so popular? I mean, I've heard that there was a time, when they was really hated in USA. Is it true? By whom they were hated and why?

i dont know who the hell would hate the offspring especially self esteem :cool:

Tijs
12-05-2004, 03:24 PM
i dont know who the hell would hate the offspring especially self esteem :cool:
That didn't make sense.

nitropenguin!
12-05-2004, 03:33 PM
I think they meant it wouldn't make any goddam sense if someone hated The Offspring since they have a kick ass song like Self Esteem...

BaneOfEvil3
12-05-2004, 03:40 PM
I don't get why people automatically assume that music from a major corporation is going to suck...I mean, as long as the music is good, why does it matter if a big corporation gets money?

Tijs
12-05-2004, 04:15 PM
I don't get why people automatically assume that music from a major corporation is going to suck...I mean, as long as the music is good, why does it matter if a big corporation gets money?
Because it might have an effect on the way the artist wants to make music. A major label is out on profit, so it has to sign bands which are populair (which Offspring was when they released Smash). The artist kind of owes the label to earn the money the label expects them to make if they want to stay there. In order to do so, they must make populair music, and not just the music they want to make anymore.
But then again, if you haven't heard the music, you can't say it sucks.

BaneOfEvil3
12-05-2004, 04:27 PM
Because it might have an effect on the way the artist wants to make music. A major label is out on profit, so it has to sign bands which are populair (which Offspring was when they released Smash). The artist kind of owes the label to earn the money the label expects them to make if they want to stay there. In order to do so, they must make populair music, and not just the music they want to make anymore.
But then again, if you haven't heard the music, you can't say it sucks.

Yeah, I know what you're saying, but it seemed like a lot of people thought it was automatically bad just because of the major corporation...

nitropenguin!
12-05-2004, 04:30 PM
Mainstream music just pisses some people off, I guess.

Tijs
12-05-2004, 04:31 PM
Yeah, I know what you're saying, but it seemed like a lot of people thought it was automatically bad just because of the major corporation...
Yeah I know, that's why I put this behind it:
"But then again, if you haven't heard the music, you can't say it sucks."

Italia311
12-05-2004, 08:53 PM
in the end...its a job...regardless. you need sustain some sort of income. and just like every job...there is going to be people that are more sucessfull then others.

livecby
12-05-2004, 09:56 PM
well if any of you have seen the americana video it shows that guy ripping up one of their vynels (or however you spell it) on a talk show with the offspring sitting right next to the guys desk and everyone was cheering afterwards. was that in the U.S.?

The Disclaimer
12-05-2004, 10:15 PM
offspring was somehow hated by some people on teh first album realeas.. but not a big thing..

then some people "hated" them when they broke away from epitaph...

i never really got to know what happened with epitaph and offspring

Tijs
12-06-2004, 04:53 AM
i never really got to know what happened with epitaph and offspring
There's some big interview with Dexter about that somewhere. I don't know where you can find it though, maybe theoffspring.com forums?

T-6005
12-06-2004, 06:39 AM
I think the idea is that they heard that Brett was going to sell part of Epitath, so they figured "What the fuck, we'll end up on a major eventually, we might as well get to choose which one", and so that's how that happened... the public immediately labeled them as sellouts and "true punks" who aren't posers at all rejected them and stopped listening because they thought that a major label automatically meant selling out.

T-6005
12-06-2004, 06:39 AM
Not too sure though.

No Brakes Boy
12-06-2004, 07:18 AM
Punk ethics suck

Lithuanian Offspring
12-06-2004, 07:28 AM
I think alot of people thought that the Offspring were going to turn into what we have nowadays, like Lavigne and Busted. I think they were even hated before Smash. Now lets all remember the Americana movie! Don't you guys remember the part where they were critisized for Kill The President? Now that was a really funny part of the movie. Damn did you see Dexter's face when the guy destroyed the record? Hahahaha. And then Noodles grabbed all of the shit off of that guys desk and ripped it all to bits. And then the security guards took the guys away. *Tear runs down eye* Good times.

Lithuanian Offspring
12-06-2004, 07:31 AM
Punk ethics suck
So true. But I have stayed with my opinion that punk music should not have ethics or rules. Thats why I hate all of those Brett-loving phsycos who yell at you for liking the Offspring just cause they went to a major record.

Lithuanian Offspring
12-06-2004, 07:35 AM
Whos to say that Epitaph is a major record like Columbia?

Tijs
12-06-2004, 07:36 AM
You could've just made 1 post instead of 3.

Lithuanian Offspring
12-06-2004, 07:37 AM
I like to sort my shit out before I flush it.

Amelie
12-06-2004, 07:53 AM
I think alot of people thought that the Offspring were going to turn into what we have nowadays, like Lavigne and Busted. I think they were even hated before Smash. Now lets all remember the Americana movie! Don't you guys remember the part where they were critisized for Kill The President? Now that was a really funny part of the movie. Damn did you see Dexter's face when the guy destroyed the record? Hahahaha. And then Noodles grabbed all of the shit off of that guys desk and ripped it all to bits. And then the security guards took the guys away. *Tear runs down eye* Good times.

What is the Americana movie? I haven't seen it...What is it all about?

Lithuanian Offspring
12-06-2004, 08:17 AM
It just a bunch of footage of the Offspring and all this wierd stuff. Its got extreme sports on it too. You should really buy that and Huck it they are awesome.

Amelie
12-06-2004, 10:42 AM
I will, thanks ;)

RADIUM88
12-06-2004, 10:49 AM
i think a alot of people hated the offspring because they thought the song "come out and play" promoted racial discrimination. the band received lots of threats and smash cd's broken in pieces (in the mail).

offspringjon
12-06-2004, 11:18 AM
I can't find the americana DVD or video ANYWHERE. i really wanna watch it. I thought Huck It was great for live performances and Noodles but other than that it was quite lame and short.

Lithuanian Offspring
12-06-2004, 11:18 AM
i think a alot of people hated the offspring because they thought the song "come out and play" promoted racial discrimination. the band received lots of threats and smash cd's broken in pieces (in the mail).
LAPD maybe but defenatly not COAP. I think they even sort of referanced it to West Side Story. It was just about gang warfare and how messed up it is.

RADIUM88
12-06-2004, 11:29 AM
LAPD maybe but defenatly not COAP. I think they even sort of referanced it to West Side Story. It was just about gang warfare and how messed up it is.

i agree with what you said about LAPD but i do believe there were a lot of people who were angry when come out and play came out. we (the fans) don't see it as a song that promotes racism but there are a lot of ignorant people out there. and i guess i can see why they would think that...but i'd just have to disagree.

No Brakes Boy
12-06-2004, 05:24 PM
The advanatage of going to a major is that you get your stuff across on an international scale. 'Pretty Fly' and 'WDYGAJ' can be perceived as radio friendly, I could hardly say that the rest of the album is in the same vein as this. Trouble is that people get so upset when their favourite band no longer fit into their 'pocket' which is why they need to get back in their prams.