PDA

View Full Version : Me playing the "What happened to you" solo)

Manic subsidal
01-15-2006, 04:10 PM
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KXK97VTQ

The mp3 is only like 400kb so that's why I uploaded it with the good ol slow shitty megauploadster.

Anyways, I'm trying to get better at playing solos and stuff on my guitar. The solo in What happened to you seems pretty good practice. So what do you think about my solo and what are some tips for getting better? That's all, thanks.

Oh yeah, just ignore the end of the song, I pooped my pants.

NDM1
01-15-2006, 05:12 PM
Well one thing the actually notes you played are not right so thats one way to make it sound better..Also it sounded a little choppy try to just let it flow better. I don't know i consider myself a pretty good player so i cant really explan it.

Manic subsidal
01-15-2006, 07:49 PM
Wrong notes? Haha oh well, it's been forever since the last time I listened to that song. Even though I totally despite it, I guess I'll have to check out the guitar tabs for the solo.

Are there any tips for letting it "flow" better? Should I just practice scales? Any sites with good advice? maybe cyberfret.com has a few things, anyways, thanks.

Oh yeah, sorry about the quality of the song by the way, I don't have a decent electric guitar and way of recording =P

coke_a_holic
01-15-2006, 09:18 PM
I think your tone is a little bit too trebley, personally. It sounds kinda cool, but it's just a little too much. Regarding the chopiness: Try to keep your hand from palm muting (didn't see much of this, but it could help anyone who's having choppy solos) and try to do more slides/hammer-ons/pull-offs (even though there were plenty already, I think going down you picked more notes)instead of picking each note. I enjoyed it, but the tone should be bassed up a bit for a more creamy distortion rather than an ear-raping-like treble. BTW, I like having ear-raping like treble, this song just isn't really fit for it.

Jebus
01-15-2006, 10:02 PM
I think a little EQing after recording goes a long way even with crappy gear. Try lowering the treble and raising the lower mids a bit to smooth it out a bit. Sometime like this.
http://s6.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0NXDIHGX6WZ3R1PXQM8DMJB3K9
It still won't sound perfect but I think it's closer to the actual tone in the song.