PDA

View Full Version : a question for smokers

Paint_It_Black
01-15-2006, 03:28 PM
How many do you typically smoke a day? I'm curious and looking for a basis for comparison. Debates about smoking being stupid and blah blah blah are not relevant.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-15-2006, 03:30 PM
Between 6-10 a day.

Paint_It_Black
01-15-2006, 03:31 PM
Oh shit. I need to cut down.

Andy
01-15-2006, 03:32 PM
Used to be 7 - 10 a day, but stopped cold turkey in December. I spent christmas threatening my family.

Endymion
Oh shit. I need to cut down.
are you at over a pack a day?

Paint_It_Black
I had no idea you smoked. I'm pushing above a pack a day and it's bothering me.

Edit: Posted this before I saw Endy's post.

JoY
01-15-2006, 03:33 PM
a pack a day. but I actually cut down & now it's about... 10-15 per day.

it's a start.. too bad I couldn't keep up the quitting I succeeded in for three weeks.

JoY
01-15-2006, 03:34 PM
Used to be 7 - 10 a day, but stopped cold turkey in December. I spent christmas threatening my family.
I quit cold turkey right before Christmas too AND was on my period AND used to smoke over a pack a day by that time. I was hell to be around. *shudders* thinking back, I'm glad I'm me & not my boyfriend, or something.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-15-2006, 03:35 PM
I quit right before Christmas too AND was on my period AND used to smoke over a pack a day by that time. I was hell to be around. *shudders* thinking back, I'm glad I'm me & not my boyfriend, or something.

You planned that really well then. =P

JoY
01-15-2006, 03:36 PM
I have ADD, I don't know how to plan anything. :(

Paint_It_Black
01-15-2006, 03:37 PM
My grandmother just died from a lung disease, and my smoking is actually increasing. I can't seem to quit this time. Any tips? I can't afford anything fancy.

voodoomagik
01-15-2006, 03:39 PM
about a pack a day. i'm also trying to cut down!

Endymion
01-15-2006, 03:40 PM
My grandmother just died from a lung disease, and my smoking is actually increasing. I can't seem to quit this time. Any tips? I can't afford anything fancy.

flush all your money down the toilet. any time you get money, do the same with it.

Andy
01-15-2006, 03:41 PM

Apparently the best way of doing it is willpower; try nicotine patches?

Paint_It_Black
01-15-2006, 03:43 PM
flush all your money down the toilet. any time you get money, do the same with it.

Ha, that sounds suspiciously like somethnig I once saw in an advice column.

Andy, I doubt I could afford patches. Willpower is the way to go, but I wondered if anyone had any mental tricks they find useful.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-15-2006, 03:44 PM
Carry around chewing gum and a pencil. Every time you get an urge, chew gum and move the pencil around with your fingers.

Seriously.

Paint_It_Black
01-15-2006, 03:45 PM
That actually sounds pretty good. I'll give it a go when I get the courage to try, which needs to be soon.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-15-2006, 03:46 PM
You don't even need the gum really, just the pencil.

Iddy
01-15-2006, 03:48 PM
Im not a smoker so I don't know if i'd be too good at the advice, but my aunt is a heavy smoker and is trying to quit. She's read this book that encourages a change of mindset; rather than to think that you're 'quitting' or 'giving up' you think that you're stopping. I don't know how its worked for her though, shes under alot of stress at the moment so is in rapid chain smoking mode.

Maybe hang out in places where you can't smoke. Then when you get the craving, theres nothing you can do about it. Again, non-smoker, i don't know how it feels.

Paint_It_Black
01-15-2006, 03:49 PM
Yes, a pencil with nicotine in it. Ha, that reminds me of something now. My unlce used a pencil shaped nicotine inhaler and quit easily. I wonder if I can get one of my relatives to get me one from the good old NHS and send it to me.

Iddy
01-15-2006, 03:50 PM
I think you can only get patches on the NHS.

voodoomagik
01-15-2006, 03:50 PM
Well, most likely if you had cases in your family your body could be vulnerable to lung diseases (but thatís not absolutely necessary)! it really depends on your heritage! my grandfather smokes since he was 14 (now heís 73) and he's still alive&kickin'!
You must eliminate the so called sympathy-smoking! try to refrain yourself from smoking when you're studying or when you are bored or stuff like that! a friend of mine managed to cut down by refusing to smoke inside the house!

JoY
01-15-2006, 03:51 PM
I calculated (im teh smartz) how much per week I spend on cigarettes. then how much I spend on them per month. then per year.

4x7=28 per week. 28x4=112 per month. 112x12=1344 per year.

that's quite a reason to stop right there. especially when the amount of money on your bankaccount is minus 480 euros.

then, of course, I used to get bronchitis, or just a cold with a smoker's cough very often. way more often than before I picked up smoking.

Andy
01-15-2006, 03:51 PM
Carry a bottle of water/pop around with you. When you get a craving, have a drink. It did something for me. Either that, or my will power is much better than I first thought.

Paint_It_Black
01-15-2006, 03:52 PM
I can get patches at wal-mart, but they're expensive.

Paint_It_Black
01-15-2006, 03:53 PM
Carry a bottle of water/pop around with you. When you get a craving, have a drink. It did something for me. Either that, or my will power is much better than I first thought.

Hahaha, I already do that. Anything else?

Andy
01-15-2006, 03:54 PM
Hahaha, I already do that. Anything else?
Crisps? Hah, I honestly don't know. I did notice that my alcohol consumption grew somewhat alarmingly though. Maybe that had something to do with it? Fuck knows.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-15-2006, 03:54 PM
If I gave up smoking I'd hardly drink at all. It knocks my cravings through the roof. I easily go through a pack a night if I'm drinking.

Paint_It_Black
01-15-2006, 03:55 PM
I can't drink alocohol without smoking. That's how I started smoking in the first place.

Paint_It_Black
01-15-2006, 03:56 PM
Shit, right now I'd like nothing better than sitting in an english pub with a pint and a smoke.

Andy
01-15-2006, 03:57 PM
Actually: that may have helped me mentally - if I can last a night drinking in a pub without having a cigarette, I can last anywhere.

My mind works in mysterious ways.

JoY
01-15-2006, 03:57 PM
If I gave up smoking I'd hardly drink at all. It knocks my cravings through the roof. I easily go through a pack a night if I'm drinking.
funny. it's the other way around for me; alcohol beats my cravings for smoking (lolz, I typed "alcohol". alcoholic much?) through the roof.

the bottle-of-water-advice is actually pretty good. it works pretty much like operant conditioning.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-15-2006, 03:58 PM
Shit, right now I'd like nothing better than sitting in an english pub with a pint and a smoke.

Bah, me too.

Paint_It_Black
01-15-2006, 03:59 PM
Bah, me too.

I'm giving serious thought to the UK meet-up, because I have high hopes of it being mostly sitting in a pub.

Andy
01-15-2006, 04:00 PM
the bottle-of-water-advice is actually pretty good. it works pretty much like operant conditioning.
Exactomundo

I'm giving serious thought to the UK meet-up, because I have high hopes of it being mostly sitting in a pub.
If I have my way; all of it will be spent in a pub

JoY
that's just plain pathetic.

TheUnholyNightbringer
I'd like Dave and I to instrumentise, but then again we live fairly near so we can do that anytime. So yeah, essentially, the whole day will probably be spent in a pub.

that's just plain pathetic.

If you're referring to the meetup, why?

Paint_It_Black
01-15-2006, 04:02 PM
I'd like Dave and I to instrumentise

That should be a definite.

wheelchairman
01-15-2006, 04:02 PM
You could try buying a carton. And then smoking it all at once. You'll either have a blast, or get sick of cigarettes.

Or you know, the will power thing. Try switching to more coffee.

Mota Boy
01-15-2006, 04:05 PM
Any tips? I can't afford anything fancy.
My roommate is trying to quit and just started the patch. He says it's running him about 15-20 dollars a week, which sounds like significantly less than you're currently spending on cigarettes.

Paint_It_Black
01-15-2006, 04:05 PM
You could try buying a carton. And then smoking it all at once. You'll either have a blast, or get sick of cigarettes.

Or you know, the will power thing. Try switching to more coffee.

I only drink coffee while smoking. I used to buy cartons and had to stop. I really smoke a lot then, because I don't have the fear of running out.

JoY
01-15-2006, 04:06 PM
If you're referring to the meetup, why?
he's considering the UK-meetup, because hopefully most of it will be spent in a pub? & hold on a second, put the sentence into context; a few posts earlier he said he felt like a pint & a cigarette in an English pub. a few posts before *that* he said he had to cut down on his smoking.

so in my twisted mind.. he goes to the UK-meetup to have an excuse to smoke like a freaking chimney.

Paint_It_Black
01-15-2006, 04:07 PM
My roommate is trying to quit and just started the patch. He says it's running him about 15-20 dollars a week, which sounds like significantly less than you're currently spending on cigarettes.

That's the best thing I've heard yet. I'll have another look at the price then.

Bella, I just think it would be a fun day and delightfully British. I'm getting homesick and it sounds good.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-15-2006, 04:07 PM
I see your logic. But then again I'd have little objection to it being spent in a pub. If he asks us to we'll confiscate his cigarettes. =P

Andy
01-15-2006, 04:08 PM
he's considering the UK-meetup, because hopefully most of it will be spent in a pub? & hold on a second, put the sentence into context; a few posts earlier he said he felt like a pint & a cigarette in an English pub. a few posts before *that* he said he had to cut down on his smoking.

so in my twisted mind.. he goes to the UK-meetup to have an excuse to smoke like a freaking chimney.

Nono, he's just English

JoY
01-15-2006, 04:09 PM
That's the best thing I've heard yet. I'll have another look at the price then.
I tried to point out the price of cigarettes! you just kept going on about how expensive patches are.

pff, I feel so unappreciated.

Paint_It_Black
01-15-2006, 04:10 PM
I tried to point out the price of cigarettes! you just kept going on about how expensive patches are.

pff, I feel so unappreciated.

You went at it the wrong way. I already knew the price of cigarettes. Though I do get some free.

Andy understands me.

TheUnholyNightbringer
And anyway, it's not an EXCUSE to smoke like a chimney. It's just a handy side-effect.

TheUnholyNightbringer
You went at it the wrong way. I already knew the price of cigarettes. Though I do get some free.

What? How?

Andy
01-15-2006, 04:11 PM
Andy understands me.

It's the British version of male bonding. Every British man has a part of his brain that constantly craves Pub. Which is why you see "British Pubs" in all the major British holiday destinations.

EDIT: This applies to all Brits, not just English.

Paint_It_Black
01-15-2006, 04:11 PM
I know someone...who works in a shop...'nuff said.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-15-2006, 04:12 PM
Haha, I see.

Andy understands the British psyche.

the_offsprings_monkey
01-15-2006, 04:13 PM
hahaha I have amazing will power and have stopped smoking again, I can just smoke one, then go without for months.

Paint_It_Black
01-15-2006, 04:15 PM
Sorry Ash, lots of people can do that. I used to before I became really addicted.

JoY
01-15-2006, 04:20 PM
Mota wins. he can smoke HALF a fucking cigarette, put it out & later it's gone, because I smoked the rest of it.

at the meet-up I used to not get it. put out cigarettes were lying everywhere & I kept smoking them, thinking; "what the fuck is that poor thing doing here? am I that drunk, that I'd put out a cigarette before it's properly smoked to its filter??". I was so confused. I didn't even notice they weren't mine, because I was thoroughly convinced I was the only 'smoker'.

Paint_It_Black
01-15-2006, 04:24 PM
lolz. Blonde moment?

JoY
01-15-2006, 04:25 PM
I'd say drunk&stoned moment, which lasted the entire meetup. but yeah, blonde works. ;p

yay
01-15-2006, 04:51 PM
I only smoke when I'm offered a cigarette nowadays. I don't buy them anymore. Yesterday night my boss gave me one on my break while I was talking with him so I did. That was where he told me that because I work so hard I am being offered a fulltime job which could earn me between $800.00-$1000/week. This would earn me more than most adults are currently earning!!

Mota Boy
01-15-2006, 05:02 PM
Mota wins. he can smoke HALF a fucking cigarette, put it out & later it's gone, because I smoked the rest of it.
Hahaha! I think at the apex of my flirtation with cigarettes last semester I was smoking about three to five times a day, going through just one cigarette in the process. I'm not doing it any more, though, after realizing that, despite how clever I might be at avoiding the whole addiction thing, I still had to describe myself as a "smoker".

wheelchairman
01-15-2006, 05:02 PM
To be fair, Mota Boy is the world's worst smoker.

Although to be even more fair, that's not a real cigarette.

And Vlad has less of a hair line than I do, amazingly.

Omni
01-15-2006, 05:57 PM
Personally, I don't smoke. My dad, however, smokes 3 packs a day. And he's been smoking since he was 14, if memory serves. He's 59 now.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-15-2006, 05:59 PM
Whoa. That's a cigarette every twelve minutes. Every day. While awake, obviously.

Shit.

Omni
01-15-2006, 06:14 PM
Lol, who said anything about being awake? He takes brief naps throughout the day that add up to about 4 hours total. He falls asleep at his chair at the dining table, SOMETIMES WHILE HOLDING A CIGARETTE. It'll burn until it reaches his finger and then he'll jolt back awake. So, yeah. He ends up wasting several cigarettes, sometimes.

T-6005
01-15-2006, 06:25 PM
My grandfather was up to 3 packs, I think. Then he got cancer and died. So I suppose he doesn't smoke anymore.

yay
01-15-2006, 06:27 PM
Personally, I don't smoke. My dad, however, smokes 3 packs a day. And he's been smoking since he was 14, if memory serves. He's 59 now.Does he have a croaky voice, or chest/heart problems?

Paint_It_Black
01-15-2006, 06:45 PM
My grandfather was up to 3 packs, I think. Then he got cancer and died. So I suppose he doesn't smoke anymore.

That is a beautiful story.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-15-2006, 06:48 PM

I feel terrible for cracking up at this.

T-6005
01-15-2006, 06:49 PM
I was feeling humorous. The bad part is that it's true.

Anya82
01-15-2006, 07:03 PM
i don't smoke that much. But when i want a smoke, i have 1 or 2.
i don't smoke daily. Maybe once per week.

I easily go through a pack a night if I'm drinking.
but... i'm guilty too. When i'm drinking, i smoke a lot :p

HeadAroundU
01-15-2006, 07:16 PM
I made an anti-smoking post. I'm an idiot who can't read and spell.
:)

Oh sorry, then my advice is --> stick pencil up into ass and when you need a cigarette then stick it deeper.

Seriously, quit smoking. Find a sport ,buy fruit and vegetables!
Change your life.

Paint_It_Black
01-15-2006, 07:41 PM
TUNB. I somehow never knew moderators had that power, so for me that is The Best Post Ever.

Have my babies?

Mota Boy
01-15-2006, 07:49 PM
Well, it depends. Was he cremated? If so, how long ago?

T-6005
01-15-2006, 07:56 PM
Well, it depends. Was he cremated? If so, how long ago?
4 1/2 years ago, and he was buried.

Preocupado
01-15-2006, 08:26 PM
i was smoking a pack/day when i stopped. only marijuana now.. and sometimes i buy a pack of the cheapest cigarettes to put the filter in the joint.

Nicole
01-15-2006, 09:43 PM
My smoking is so variable.

Around smokers- probably about half a pack a day
Out drinking/partying- a whole packet
Alone or with non-smokers- 3 to 5 a day

That's 8mg smokes. And I smoke rollies more than half the time so that gets even trickier.

Tizzalicious
01-16-2006, 01:08 AM

Exactly what I was thinking. They can't be more expensive.

I think just the patches won't help though, for most people, as you have the whole habit of smoking, not just the nicotine addiction.

wheelchairman
01-16-2006, 02:14 AM
My friends were planning on sticking nicotine patches on a guy while he was asleep, so that he'd get an addiction without even knowing about it. Hilarious.

the_offsprings_monkey
01-16-2006, 02:33 AM
i was smoking a pack/day when i stopped. only marijuana now.. and sometimes i buy a pack of the cheapest cigarettes to put the filter in the joint.
haha whatta homos, we just buy a pack of filters.

offspringdude17
01-16-2006, 02:37 AM
i smoke 8 a day

the_GoDdEsS
01-16-2006, 02:53 AM
When I did regularly it used to be 4-7 on normal days. When I went out it could go up to 20 or higher in a few hours' time. I traded nicotine for cafeine two months ago. Very easily, so my claiming I was not hooked was probably true. Although smoking feels soooo good when you're under influence.