PDA

View Full Version : Epitaph vs. Columbia

NIX-on-the-MAN
01-18-2006, 08:14 AM
Which record company do you like more:confused:

icklebabygremlin
01-18-2006, 08:26 AM
Well its gotta be Epitaph because there are better bands signed to that label Eg: Pennywise and Bad Religion and i no that offspring arent on that label but they were :D

Hypodermic_89
01-18-2006, 08:31 AM
Yeah Epitaph is cooler, although it's owned by a total sellout jerk.

>:->
01-18-2006, 09:11 AM
Epitaph is the answer. Anyone who says Columbia is a fucking moron.

uvutuy
01-18-2006, 09:14 AM
epitaph made the music more punk
now it just sounds pop punk

offspring_freak_3
01-18-2006, 11:52 AM
i second that.

Little_Miss_1565
01-18-2006, 11:59 AM

Right, it's all the label. The band has nothing to do with the sound.

Manic subsidal
01-18-2006, 02:33 PM
I just can't go with Epitaph, fuck you Brett.

Nitro.

rocketman
01-18-2006, 02:38 PM

so true...

original_prankster
01-18-2006, 03:55 PM
What this person says.

Slappy
01-18-2006, 04:02 PM
Major labels all try to get the bands on the radio so they make the bands sound more poppy. Without Epitath, The Offspring would have not gotten all that famous.

Little_Miss_1565
01-18-2006, 04:33 PM
God forbid the artist should ever get any attention let alone money from the fame that radio play can bring.

Igniton
01-18-2006, 04:34 PM
alot of people voted nitro and no one said why... i voted nitro because i like more bands in that company

nameless
01-18-2006, 04:38 PM
epitaph! however, i really liked the fact the the offspring didnt come out with some overproduced rubbish the way other bands who change labels do!

noodle654
01-18-2006, 05:16 PM
Personally I really dont care too much about record labels.

Epitaph- Owned/Founded by Bad Religion's Bret Gurwitz
Nitro-Owned/Founded by The Offspring's Dexter Holland
Columbia-Owned/Operated by Sony.

So as you can see Columbia is VERY major because it is owned by Sony. Sony today has a stock at I think $20.00 per share, which is pretty good, (my dad is a stock broker and we do alot of stuff together). Epitaph stock sells for I think now $4.00 a share, and I am not sure about Nitro and I would have to guess about $4.00-$5.00. So enough money talk for me!

I would have to choose Nitro, and It would be nice is the Offspring did CD's on their own label! That would kick major ass! Nitro has good bands, so does Epitaph but Nitro is a better label, cause Epitaph is starting to *kinda* sell out. The bands on that label today are shit! Peace guys!!

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
01-18-2006, 07:34 PM
I just can't go with Epitaph, fuck you Brett.

Nitro.

This is one of those times where all i can say is:

HELL YEAH!

That_Guy91
01-18-2006, 08:29 PM
Major labels all try to get the bands on the radio so they make the bands sound more poppy. Without Epitath, The Offspring would have not gotten all that famous.
The Offspring got noticed by columbia because Smash sold so well while they were on Epitaph.
EDIT: Never mind, I misread the post.

Zack
01-18-2006, 08:33 PM
Epitaph is the best!!!!

T-6005
01-18-2006, 09:01 PM
Columbia. I don't feel any need to explain myself to you.

That_Guy91
01-18-2006, 09:03 PM
Columbia. I don't feel any need to explain myself to you.
Could you do it anyway? I promise I won't make any angry fanboyish remarks.

dain84
01-18-2006, 09:07 PM
Does anyone find it strange that Epitaph recently released albums from country artists? (Merle Haggard)

T-6005
01-18-2006, 09:09 PM
Columbia Records is the single oldest record company in the world. It wasn't part of Sony until 1988, and I think it may have been around since a hundred years before that.

And it's allowed some of the greatest artists ever to get some serious fame.

yay
01-18-2006, 09:37 PM
Columbia Records is the single oldest record company in the world. It wasn't part of Sony until 1988, and I think it may have been around since a hundred years before that.

And it's allowed some of the greatest artists ever to get some serious fame.I agree. I mean come on. You have a label which has probably produced about 5 good bands in its history, and one which looks after almost half the bands/artists that you listen to everyday possibly more. The music industry would be terrible without Columbia.

Also they don't tell bands to sellout. Ixnay was Offsprings 1st album on Columbia and that wasnt a sellout, it stayed true to their formula. Same as Green day Dookie was their first album on a major label (Warner Reprise) and neither that or the 2 albums to follow it on the same label could be called sellout albums. The people who criticize bands for selling out when they change to a major label and get noticed are idiots. As if you wouldn't take up the offer to have your music promoted and get heard.

That_Guy91
01-18-2006, 09:45 PM
I agree. I mean come on. You have a label which has probably produced about 5 good bands in its history, and one which looks after almost half the bands/artists that you listen to everyday possibly more. The music industry would be terrible without Columbia.

Also they don't tell bands to sellout. Ixnay was Offsprings 1st album on Columbia and that wasnt a sellout, it stayed true to their formula. Same as Green day Dookie was their first album on a major label (Warner Reprise) and neither that or the 2 albums to follow it on the same label could be called sellout albums. The people who criticize bands for selling out when they change to a major label and get noticed are idiots. As if you wouldn't take up the offer to have your music promoted and get heard.
Well, there are some bands whose sound completely changed when they went to a major label, like Blink 182, and maybe that's what confuses people.

Little_Miss_1565
01-19-2006, 09:15 AM
Does anyone find it strange that Epitaph recently released albums from country artists? (Merle Haggard)

No, I don't. Epitaph released Nick Cave, Tom Waits, and Neko Case too on the Anti- imprint. Is there something wrong with that?