PDA

View Full Version : How do you become a moderator?

endlesst0m
01-18-2006, 06:49 PM
I've been posting here long enough, and I still don't understand how you become a moderator... it's never come up in conversation. I'd like to know how you become a moderator.

wheelchairman
01-18-2006, 06:50 PM
You have to go to Amsterdam and be very decadent with other potential mods.

Andy
01-18-2006, 06:51 PM
The Freemasons have got nothing on the Offspring BBS Moderators.

endlesst0m
01-18-2006, 06:52 PM
You have to go to Amsterdam and be very decadent with other potential mods.

I don't know if this is obvious to you or other people but I've been posting here for a while and it just hasn't come into conversation, so I wanna know.

wheelchairman
01-18-2006, 06:56 PM
Last summer there was a vote for who should be mod. The top 16 most voted people were allowed to chose the forums they wanted.

The nominating process was like 2 weeks long as well.

Mota Boy
01-18-2006, 06:57 PM
Penis length.

Endymion
01-18-2006, 06:57 PM
I don't know if this is obvious to you or other people but I've been posting here for a while and it just hasn't come into conversation, so I wanna know.
after massive problems with spam early last summer, the admin held a board-wide vote for moderators. thus, mods. it's debatable how much of a popularity contest it was, but regardless there isn't a problem with spam anymore.

Paint_It_Black
01-18-2006, 06:58 PM
there isn't a problem with spam anymore.

As long as you don't ask yay.

endlesst0m
01-18-2006, 06:59 PM
hahaha that really happend? thats hilarious. I'm surprised Sin Studly didn't end up as a mod.

Paint_It_Black
01-18-2006, 06:59 PM
Sin doesn't want to be a mod.

endlesst0m
01-18-2006, 07:04 PM
mod's are pretty gay most of the time. I hate how proud of themselves they seem when they close a thread. Some of them remind me of a really lame teacher or something.

i would never have an urge to close a thread, i would just be like...yeah whatever, im not posting in this thread, thats it.

0r4ng3
01-18-2006, 07:05 PM
You don't understand the point of closing threads, do you? As a mod, you can't just ignore stuff like that.

endlesst0m
01-18-2006, 07:07 PM
yeah, thats why you shouldnt become a mod, because thats lame. if somehow i were i mod i would close threads too...but i wouldnt be a mod, because i think thats lame.

the_offsprings_monkey
01-18-2006, 07:08 PM
there isn't a problem with spam anymore.
Yeah, about that.

endlesst0m
01-18-2006, 07:13 PM
i don't think theres ever been a point where i see a thread thats been closed and im like "ALRIGHT IM SO GLAD THEY CLOSED THAT"

usually its just some lame thread, and everyone else is fine with just ignoring it...then along comes some mod, trying to be the big guy of the situation, to close it, after they give some stupid explanation like "i find the content of this thread to be redundant" or some jackass statement like that. lol...its so lame.

in addition, deleting threads would be way more effective.

Rag Doll
01-18-2006, 07:14 PM
I have a huge urge to close this thread.

Must. Restrain. Self.

wheelchairman
01-18-2006, 07:15 PM
yeah, thats why you shouldnt become a mod, because thats lame. if somehow i were i mod i would close threads too...but i wouldnt be a mod, because i think thats lame.
hey man I agree

You get no respect
You get no relief
You gotta speak up
And yell out your piece
So back off your rules
Back off your jive
Cause I'm sick of not living
To stay alive
Leave me alone
I'm not asking a lot
I just don't want to be controlled
That's all I want
All I want

and really, I don't think we have any overzealous mods here. Especially in comparison to other boards.

Kitten
01-18-2006, 07:16 PM
I'd agree with them if they closed this thread. Your question has been answered. Like there are not other topics set to bash the mod's. Use some of those brand new, still wrapped brain cells to come up with a decent reason for bashing them.

endlesst0m
01-18-2006, 07:16 PM
I have a huge urge to close this thread.

Must. Restrain. Self.

Why? Thats so stupid. Just don't come in this thread if you don't like it.

I mean if i start a thread thats like "My Balls Are Huge" or something like that, then i think it would be a good idea to delete it, but this is an actual conversation.

wheelchairman
01-18-2006, 07:17 PM

I mean if i start a thread thats like "My Balls Are Huge" or something like that, then i think it would be a good idea to delete it, but this is an actual conversation.
Sam was employing the use of irony.

Endymion
01-18-2006, 07:18 PM
i think she was joking.

0r4ng3
01-18-2006, 07:18 PM
What do you think the mod's job should be? That's like telling a cop to just ignore criminals.

Maybe a bad analogy, but I think you know what I mean.

Kitten
01-18-2006, 07:20 PM
What do you think the mod's job should be? That's like telling a cop to just ignore criminals.

Maybe a bad analogy, but I think you know what I mean.

Technically, it's a sound analogy. Police enforce rules set in place for society. Moderators enforce the rules we all agreed to when we signed up for this board.

endlesst0m
01-18-2006, 07:22 PM
what if people just ignored the threads they didn't like?

the mods here aren't bad, but what mods do is worthless. once you click into a thread you don't like, it technically already has annoyed you. closing it, trying to make it go away a little faster doesn't do any good.

JohnnyNemesis
01-18-2006, 07:23 PM
No matter how nice a mod is, people would say shit like this. Mods can be assholes or completely cool, even apologetic, and whiny bitches would whine. And bitch too. They'd whine and bitch, those whiny bitches.

Quit being a dumbass, endlesst0m.

Igniton
01-18-2006, 07:24 PM
do mods get paid?

nieh
01-18-2006, 07:24 PM
It's kind of a problem when someone floods the board by making topic after topic of spam, covering the whole front page.

That_Guy91
01-18-2006, 07:25 PM
Is it just me, or does this guy kind of sound like NOAMR?

Isolated Fury
do mods get paid?
Are you serious?...

yay
As long as you don't ask yay.I don't think there is a spam problem anymore either.

Mota Boy
I love how this thread quickly morphed into tom's personal campaign to become a moderator. Keep truckin', buddy.

Igniton
01-18-2006, 07:26 PM
Are you serious?...

sorry, but yes

0r4ng3
01-18-2006, 07:26 PM
I love how this thread quickly morphed into tom's personal campaign to become a moderator. Keep truckin', buddy.
What? When did that happen?

the_offsprings_monkey
01-18-2006, 07:28 PM
do mods get paid?
Why did I read this as "Do mods get laid?"

Paint_It_Black
01-18-2006, 07:35 PM
i don't think theres ever been a point where i see a thread thats been closed and im like "ALRIGHT IM SO GLAD THEY CLOSED THAT"

usually its just some lame thread, and everyone else is fine with just ignoring it...then along comes some mod, trying to be the big guy of the situation, to close it, after they give some stupid explanation like "i find the content of this thread to be redundant" or some jackass statement like that. lol...its so lame.

in addition, deleting threads would be way more effective.

Don't speak for everyone. The mods get requests to actually be a lot more zealous. They walk a fine line trying to please everyone, and do the best possible job of it. As for their "jackass statements", they are simply doing the responsible thing and explaining why a thread was closed. It is a consideration for the original topic creator. If they didn't do that they'd get complaints. You prove they'll receive complaints no matter what, but yours are clearly invalid. The mods do us a service, and have remarkably little ego about it.

I don't think there is a spam problem anymore either.

You bastard, I'm going to have to give you a break, aren't I?

Igniton
01-18-2006, 07:35 PM
^ haha

but do they get paid?

Mota Boy
01-18-2006, 07:36 PM
What? When did that happen?

Nothing overt, but what I expected. Usually threads progress like this. First people want to know how the people in power got there, then they begin saying "Well, if *I* were in their position..."

Tom realizes that he doesn't have a chance to be a mod, so he's not asking people to vote him in, but he is attempting to establish himself as some sort of opposition power to challenge the mods. "Personal campaign to become a moderator" was meant as a bit of sardonic exaggeration.

And tom, we DO delete threads. In fact, we delete many, many more threads than we lock. However, once they're deleted, (and here's the trick) you can't see them any more, so it only looks like we lock more. Threads are locked, with an accompanying explanation, to make the process more transparent, so the person that posted the topic, along with everyone else on the board, can see the specific transgression and judge it for themselves. Also, locking threads cuts down on the "whered my post go????" follow-up threads.

0r4ng3
01-18-2006, 07:37 PM
Oh, you said t0m, when I thought you meant t_o_m.

yay
01-18-2006, 07:38 PM
You bastard, I'm going to have to give you a break, aren't I?I'd like that.

Igniton
01-18-2006, 07:40 PM
are mods responsible for sending you a cookie when you get 100 referals? because it said i did and i like cookies. unless the talking pie was messing with me

Endymion
^ haha

but do they get paid?
no, of course not.

Igniton
would you like to get paid? do you have a job?

Paint_It_Black
01-18-2006, 07:41 PM
I'd like that.

You earned it, you got it. Officially starting now.

Endymion
01-18-2006, 08:36 PM
would you like to get paid? do you have a job?
no, i would not like to get paid to do this. if i were paid for it i might do it even if i didn't care about the board. which i don't want to do.

and i do have a job, it pays ok. i was, however, unemployed from early summer (before becoming a mod) through the middle of december.

Sin Studly
01-18-2006, 08:40 PM
hahaha that really happend? thats hilarious. I'm surprised Sin Studly didn't end up as a mod.

a) I specifically stated I had no interest in being mod.
b) The intelligent users know I would make a terrible mod.
c) The stupid users treat me with equal parts fear and hatred.

sKratch
01-18-2006, 10:14 PM
the mods here aren't bad, but what mods do is worthless.

lololololz
kthxbi

Nicole
01-18-2006, 11:06 PM
I think to be a mod you have to be a respected long term member of the BBS, which in most cases means being here for a couple of years. Kind of explains why hanging shit on the mods is pointless - they know this board better than you do and they have the backing of many people here.

I think there was a search for an extra mod a while ago but that position has since been filled. Maybe if one of the mods leaves there might be a spot to fill.

tkum
01-18-2006, 11:11 PM
why would you want to be one ?

endlesst0m
01-18-2006, 11:19 PM
if i were a mod i wouldn't delete ANYTHING but spam!!!!

JohnnyNemesis
01-18-2006, 11:21 PM
^Which is exactly what the moderators do, you fucking idiot.

endlesst0m
01-18-2006, 11:23 PM
^Which is exactly what the moderators do, you fucking idiot.

thats not true. I've seen them delete other things then that.

Nicole
01-18-2006, 11:25 PM
Such as?

(10)

the_offsprings_monkey
01-18-2006, 11:25 PM
thats not true. I've seen them delete other things then that.
Like what may I ask?

endlesst0m
01-18-2006, 11:27 PM
Such as?

(10)

sometimes they delete threads just because someone did it earlier. i hate that. its not that big of a deal to me, so i don't mind it.

I think as long as its a half decent conversation, it shouldn't be closed.

endlesst0m
01-18-2006, 11:37 PM
Nothing overt, but what I expected. Usually threads progress like this. First people want to know how the people in power got there, then they begin saying "Well, if *I* were in their position..."

Tom realizes that he doesn't have a chance to be a mod, so he's not asking people to vote him in, but he is attempting to establish himself as some sort of opposition power to challenge the mods. "Personal campaign to become a moderator" was meant as a bit of sardonic exaggeration.

And tom, we DO delete threads. In fact, we delete many, many more threads than we lock. However, once they're deleted, (and here's the trick) you can't see them any more, so it only looks like we lock more. Threads are locked, with an accompanying explanation, to make the process more transparent, so the person that posted the topic, along with everyone else on the board, can see the specific transgression and judge it for themselves. Also, locking threads cuts down on the "whered my post go????" follow-up threads.

yeah, fuck you.

wheelchairman
01-18-2006, 11:42 PM
sometimes they delete threads just because someone did it earlier. i hate that. its not that big of a deal to me, so i don't mind it.

I think as long as its a half decent conversation, it shouldn't be closed.
Except if the exact same convo was done less than a month ago. Then the conversation will be surprisingly similar. Not to mention it was probably a stupid conversation anyways.

Hey wanna see a mod on a power trip? Go to other bands and read the forum rules.

wheelchairman
01-18-2006, 11:43 PM
yeah, fuck you.
Great response to logic. Very mature.

Tizzalicious
01-18-2006, 11:46 PM
Penis length.

I know for a fact that that's not true.

endlesst0m
01-19-2006, 12:01 AM
moderators aren't really a bad idea, but if being a moderator appeals to you, then you're automatically at least partially lame.lol i mean c'mon guys, who the fuck wants to waste time deleting threads on some stupid online forum?

Tizzalicious
01-19-2006, 12:04 AM
That's not exactly what we do. At all. I don't think any of the moderators is here because they have to delete stuff, we just do that while we are on anyway.

Nicole
01-19-2006, 12:08 AM
The same stupid online forum you're wasting your time posting on now? >_<

While doing what they usually do they do the rest of us a favour and keep this board in moderate condition.

endlesst0m
01-19-2006, 12:08 AM
and fact of the matter is...

cmon guys...you KNOW you'd rather take the chance to make fun of someone for making a gay thread then just have the thread be closed... that's boring.

boards are just conversations online, conversations don't need guidelines.

the_offsprings_monkey
01-19-2006, 12:15 AM

cmon guys...you KNOW you'd rather take the chance to make fun of someone for making a gay thread then just have the thread be closed... that's boring.

Funny thing is, I think people quiet liked you before, but now you done this I think they dislike you. Well done.

Endymion
01-19-2006, 12:16 AM
judging by your registration date, you don't know what the board was like pre-moderators. let's try four solid pages of the same topic which consists of large font "offspring sux!" 10,000 times over. let's try a group of people responding to every thread with images of aborted fetuses or people with their faces blown off.

endlesst0m
01-19-2006, 12:17 AM
Funny thing is, I think people quiet liked you before, but now you done this I think they dislike you. Well done.
if someones gonna dislike me because of my view on what kind of(lame) people are attracted to being a moderator, then fuck them. its not a big deal to most people,im sure.

endlesst0m
01-19-2006, 12:21 AM
judging by your registration date, you don't know what the board was like pre-moderators. let's try four solid pages of the same topic which consists of large font "offspring sux!" 10,000 times over. let's try a group of people responding to every thread with images of aborted fetuses or people with their faces blown off.

thats true...i really should appreciated the good things the mods do.

i tend to appreciate rules and stuff, but i think the people that enforce them are usually lame.

wheelchairman
01-19-2006, 12:54 AM
thats true...i really should appreciated the good things the mods do.

i tend to appreciate rules and stuff, but i think the people that enforce them are usually lame.
You can't appreciate rules but have them be completely voluntary. Either you support rules and people who enforce them. Or you don't support either. You can't be an anarchist that loves the man. That's just stupid.

I know where you are coming from. But really you have the most lax moderators on the internet modding these boards. And when we do any major actions, there are usually quite big debates on how much we should actually do and with what means.

JoY
01-19-2006, 01:01 AM

oh hell no, we don't close threads in which fun of the topic-maker can be made.

Mota Boy
01-19-2006, 02:20 AM
moderators aren't really a bad idea, but if being a moderator appeals to you, then you're automatically at least partially lame.lol i mean c'mon guys, who the fuck wants to waste time deleting threads on some stupid online forum?
The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Vera
01-19-2006, 02:45 AM
It's not like all we do is mod in here. We also post and read and just hang out.

And no mod gets off on closing topics. The less spam, the less bullshit I see on the forum I mod, the less I have to do and the happier I am.

killer_queen
01-19-2006, 02:51 AM
do mods get paid?
Yes, we, the normal people, give them blowjobs.

platinumpt
01-19-2006, 03:51 AM
*cracks up*

I haven't read half of this thread. But I've read enough to notice that you're being completely incoherent. Why the fuck are you asking what do YOU have to do to become a mod, if you don't want to be a mod in the first place?

the_GoDdEsS
01-19-2006, 04:52 AM
No matter what you do, you won't ever please everybody. Maybe just a majority. This is clearly a case of somebody trying to state their opinion when they really don't know enough about what this board has gone through or have any relevant background information. You're basing your assumptions on a couple of threads you have seen closed or deleted, without you seeing beyond that. Clearly, you just want to be more liberal which is not possible here. Certain rules will always be followed. And I still think we're being way too tolerant in most cases.

JohnnyNemesis
01-19-2006, 07:00 AM
endlesst0m is just weasaling around until he finds something new to bitch about. Even when we give him a foolproof explanation, he says something that makes no sense whatsoever just to be able to complain about something, following it up with "C'mon, you know it's true!".

Shut the fuck up, kiddo.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-19-2006, 07:28 AM
I don't even know why we're responding anymore. You've all given explanations; good, and correct ones I may add, and he's obviously flapping around like a dying fish finding something else to complain about.

We'll never please everybody and it's a shame when we get some idiot trying to speak for the majority.

And by the way, whoever said it, I agree. He does sound like NOAMR.

Nina
01-19-2006, 08:07 AM
...I've now just realized that you all changed your status. Sorry I'm so slow.
roffle.

That_Guy91
01-19-2006, 08:09 AM
And by the way, whoever said it, I agree. He does sound like NOAMR.
Yeah, that was me. I thought everyone ignored me.
/emo

Little_Miss_1565
01-19-2006, 09:22 AM

the mods here aren't bad, but what mods do is worthless. once you click into a thread you don't like, it technically already has annoyed you. closing it, trying to make it go away a little faster doesn't do any good.

Because for some reason people don't just ignore threads they don't like, and post pages and pages of the same reply over and over again. Hence the need for thread closings.

For every person who thinks deletion is better than thread closing, there's someone (or lots of someones) who will throw a fit over a thread being deleted and demand that it should have been closed instead. There's no way to win, so we mods have to just call it as the 16 of us see it in regards to why the admin put us here in the first place.

Because we've been on this "stupid online forum" for many years and care about its preservation as the awesome community we know and love, which you apparently would know nothing about.

Mota Boy
01-19-2006, 09:43 AM
I don't even know why we're responding anymore

cmon guys...you KNOW you'd rather take the chance to make fun of someone for making a gay thread then just have the thread be closed...
I dunno about everyone else, but this is the reason that I'm still responding to this thread.

platinumpt
01-19-2006, 09:58 AM
Because we've been on this "stupid online forum" for many years and care about its preservation as the awesome community we know and love, which you apparently would know nothing about.
Quoted for magnificience.

Andy
01-19-2006, 09:59 AM
I second that quoting

Mannen som blev en gris
01-19-2006, 01:34 PM
Though what's really interesting is this: The Mod Forum. (http://www.offspring.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11) Not many people have access to it, but believe me, it's not something you'd want to see. It's a dark place... I've heard they close and delete threads for fun. Like sacrifices for the admins. Sometimes they make up their own guidelines...

Seriously though, I think it's good that we have moderators, since the admin isn't online much.

Igniton
01-19-2006, 01:42 PM
It does not vouchsafe me to access administrative features.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-19-2006, 01:43 PM
Nobody's allowed to view it.

Paint_It_Black
01-19-2006, 01:44 PM
I second that quoting

Yet funnily enough, you actually didn't.

Andy
01-19-2006, 01:45 PM
Yet funnily enough, you actually didn't.
Yup, because I was seconding Plat for making the initial quoting of 1565.

Igniton
01-19-2006, 01:45 PM
Nobody's allowed to view it.

oo can you copy and paste what it says? i am interested

Paint_It_Black
01-19-2006, 01:46 PM
Be honest, you're just too lazy to quote from 2 different people in the same post.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-19-2006, 01:46 PM
If you're not allowed to view it, there's a reason.

Andy
01-19-2006, 01:47 PM
Be honest, you're just too lazy to quote from 2 different people in the same post.
Damnit, stop knowing the way my mind works so well!

Little_Miss_1565
01-19-2006, 02:07 PM
It does not vouchsafe me to access administrative features.

oo can you copy and paste what it says? i am interested

LOLOLOLOL.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-19-2006, 02:08 PM
We all make threads about the people we hate.

Now comes the guessing of who it is! LOLZ

Igniton
01-19-2006, 02:23 PM
If you're not allowed to view it, there's a reason.

I suppose, but we are all tight here...

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-19-2006, 02:24 PM
I suppose, but we are all tight here...

Are we? I'm not. I'm actually loose and flabby.