PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else enjoy the old black & white Twilight Zone series?

GreenTerror
01-20-2006, 01:23 AM
I stay up until 3:00AM whenever I can to catch an hour of it weeknights on SciFi. I've seen some of the newer ones, and I must say, they aren't nearly as good as the black and white ones. So far, my favorite episodes are:

"In Praise of Pip" (A man gets to spend time with his son at the carnival, who was dying in the Vietnam war, but his son is a 10 year old child again)

"From Agnes-With love" (A researcher's computer falls in love with him),

"Perchance to Dream" (A man with heart problems sees a psychiatrist and says if he sleeps, a woman in his dreams will kill him, but he will also die if he stays awake much longer)

Those of you who are also fans, share you thoughts and favorites.

T-6005
01-20-2006, 01:54 AM
I've seen a few. The one with the man and woman who stay in a restaurant because the fortune-telling machine keeps giving him answers that make sense, and the one with the kid that can make people disappear by thinking about it... those are the ones that stick out. They were alright, I suppose.

arak0r
01-20-2006, 03:13 AM
theres one that depresses me quite a bit, this old guy survived a nuclear attack because he was chillin in the bank vault reading, since he was a book worm. he finally came out and everything was destroyed, he was pretty much in despair walkin about the city until he got to the library, as he went to start reading, he accidently dropped and broke his glasses :(

Little_Miss_1565
01-20-2006, 09:33 AM
Oh man, the one where there's a crazy kid who has this whole town under his thumb because if he doesn't like someone or doesn't get his way he can turn them into something horrible and/or send him into the cornfield.

JohnnyNemesis
01-20-2006, 10:42 AM
I've seen almost all of 'em. Brilliant, legitimately frightening show.

The one that freaks me out most is the one where the guy loves to read so much, but never has the time to do so...then there's a huge explosion and he's the only one left on the planet with all his books, and he's ecstatic....until his glasses break. Then he's just fucked.

nieh
01-20-2006, 11:00 AM
I love the show but never get a chance to watch it anymore. There are times when it gets a bit predictable though and they throw in cop-out endings. They go through the whole episode talking about how "we need to go to a new planet, ours is being destroyed" or something along those lines, then at the end of the episode "so what's the name of the planet we're going to?" "Earth!". Typically though, the show is awsome and genuinely gives me the jibblies.

Little_Miss_1565
01-20-2006, 11:13 AM
theres one that depresses me quite a bit, this old guy survived a nuclear attack because he was chillin in the bank vault reading, since he was a book worm. he finally came out and everything was destroyed, he was pretty much in despair walkin about the city until he got to the library, as he went to start reading, he accidently dropped and broke his glasses :(

The one that freaks me out most is the one where the guy loves to read so much, but never has the time to do so...then there's a huge explosion and he's the only one left on the planet with all his books, and he's ecstatic....until his glasses break. Then he's just fucked.

Either great minds think alike or Johnny kna't reed good. ;)

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-20-2006, 11:58 AM

Oh man, severe ownage. Those guys must have had a sense of humour.

JohnnyNemesis
01-20-2006, 01:35 PM

Both. :P Chalk it up to an oversight. *hangs self*

arak0r
01-20-2006, 02:17 PM
hahah nice. i swear i felt bad for that poor old guy :o

Dive
01-20-2006, 02:46 PM

That's one of my favorites. I think it's called "Time Enough At Last." I also like "A Game of Pool," "What You Need," "A Stop At Willoughby," and "To Serve Man." Excellent show.

0r4ng3
01-20-2006, 05:33 PM
Futurama spoofed that. It went something like this, after he lost his glasses.

"It's not fair! Oh, wait, I can still read large print."
*eyes fall out of his head*
"It's not fa-- oh wait, good thing I can still read braille."
*hands fall off*
"AAAHHH!"
*tounge falls out, then his head falls off*

It's funny when you actually watch it.

Linda
01-20-2006, 06:54 PM
Does anyone know what the name of the episode is with the talking Tina doll?

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-20-2006, 06:55 PM
Futurama spoofed that. It went something like this, after he lost his glasses.

"It's not fair! Oh, wait, I can still read large print."
*eyes fall out of his head*
"It's not fa-- oh wait, good thing I can still read braille."
*hands fall off*
"AAAHHH!"
*tounge falls out, then his head falls off*

It's funny when you actually watch it.

I KNEW I'd heard the story somewhere. Thank you for that.

Jakebert
01-20-2006, 09:39 PM
I love it. Rod Serling (the man who created and wrote most of the original episodes) was a genius. The thing I really love about the original Twilight Zone is the subtle political and social commentary. It was so much better than the straight forward satire that goes on TV nowadays.

Also, the scariness of the original had nothing to do with cheap thrills or gore, it was all thought provokingly frightening, which is so much more effective than some guy jumping out with a chainsaw and slicing people's fingers off. All of remakes of the Twilight Zone that I've seen completely failed to capture that element, and that's exactly why none of them came even close to being as brilliant or popular.

Little_Miss_1565
01-21-2006, 08:19 AM
OMG I'm watching it right now. Nerdy scientist with a talking computer, which he asks for dating advice. The computer is in love with him. GOD I LOVE THIS SHOW.

Paint_It_Black
01-21-2006, 10:38 AM

Or he has Joey ignored, lolz.

arak0r
01-21-2006, 11:29 AM
Or he has Joey ignored, lolz.

:|

(10)

Paint_It_Black
01-21-2006, 11:38 AM
Sorry Joey, better to face the harsh truth and all that.

Linda
01-21-2006, 01:33 PM
Nevermind. Don't bother yourselves. I found it myself.

Little_Miss_1565
01-21-2006, 01:54 PM
Linda, you asked if anyone knew the episode...people not knowing the episode isn't anything personal.

Linda
01-21-2006, 01:58 PM
Did I say it was? Just said I found it so no one would waste their time looking.