PDA

View Full Version : Downloading Music

Igniton
01-20-2006, 06:18 PM
I would just like to know how many people download music legally or illegally. I can't use LimeWire (I heard it is legal, but let's not count it) so I just use audio search engines, purevolume.com, and myspace to get free music. I also got thousands of Napster songs from when it was really popular, free, and legal. Otherwise, I get everything from iTunes. According to my purchased music folder, I spent almost $500 on music. So I would like you to tell me how to get your music in the poll, and then post where you get your music from and how much you spend on music.

nameless
01-21-2006, 07:20 PM
i always do!

Apathy
01-21-2006, 10:27 PM
I buy cd's. I think it's cool to know that you're supporting a band that you like.

Plus I like the cool booklet thingy.

Drummerguy123
01-21-2006, 10:31 PM
I usually buy cd's and I don't download much. A good majority of my music, though, comes from borrowed cd's.

Endymion
01-21-2006, 11:09 PM
i'll generally download anything. i'll buy if it's good AND if the band will actually see something from it. so i usually buy straight from the band at a show or something if i can.

Mannen som blev en gris
01-22-2006, 02:29 AM
I agree with Apathy. Buying > downloading.

el_monkey
01-22-2006, 02:37 AM
I usually buy cd's but when I like a single song and I don't want to buy the whole album I download it. (legally of course ;) )

Andy
01-22-2006, 05:20 PM
I will only download music if I only want one or two specific songs; if I wish for a full CD I will buy it. One thing I really disagree with is people who download full cd's.

punker
01-22-2006, 05:27 PM
I only download music when the cd is really hard to find, or when someone ask me for a song i dont have

Walloonz
01-22-2006, 06:36 PM
I do all :p buy, download and borrow from friends :D

Igniton
01-24-2006, 12:55 PM
Okay now I would like to know, how many use Napster, iTunes, LimeWire, etc or even friends (I would like to know what your friends use though).

el_monkey
01-24-2006, 01:00 PM
everybody eMule

>:->
01-24-2006, 02:04 PM
I download when I can. I do try to buy a lot of punk and hardcore from Brave New World, a local underground music store. I buy stuff when I really like it, regardless of whether or not I can get it on the internet.

Chimera512
01-24-2006, 02:41 PM
i always download stuff or get music from my friends. when i do download stuff i make sure i'm getting a good rip of the whole albumn so i'm getting the music (sort of ) as the artist intended me to hear it.

i make a point to going to as many shows as i can because that's where bands tend to make more money then if they're on a decenlty sized lable. if an opening band at a show's good i'll proably buy their cd or if they're up and coming/local band. like endy, if there's any chance the band will get any of the money i'm paying.

Nirushika6789
01-24-2006, 02:47 PM
Usually if it is a new artist I'm getting into I will download a few of their songs of Limewire and if I like what I hear I go out and buy the album...

They give us the music so we need to support them to a certain extent :cool:

.:SMASH:.
01-24-2006, 11:57 PM
why pay when there is an option to get it free?

offspringdude17
01-25-2006, 03:41 AM
i like to have original cd's with the books and stuff and the quality is much better

01-25-2006, 05:12 AM
i always download stuff or get music from my friends. when i do download stuff i make sure i'm getting a good rip of the whole albumn so i'm getting the music (sort of ) as the artist intended me to hear it.

i make a point to going to as many shows as i can because that's where bands tend to make more money then if they're on a decenlty sized lable. if an opening band at a show's good i'll proably buy their cd or if they're up and coming/local band. like endy, if there's any chance the band will get any of the money i'm paying.

Bands usually don't make that much money at shows unless they're huge. T-shirts are the real cash cow.

punker
01-25-2006, 06:32 AM
why pay when there is an option to get it free?

to support the bands you like?

Yatesy
01-26-2006, 10:18 AM
I mainly buy CD's and rarely download. Mainly because I prefer having the actual CD and having the album artwork. I only really download when I know I'll like the song. Also I often borrow CD's off friends and copy them.

0r4ng3
01-26-2006, 11:02 AM
I mainly buy CD's and rarely download. Mainly because I prefer having the actual CD and having the album artwork. I only really download when I know I'll like the song. Also I often borrow CD's off friends and copy them.
I actually download as a preview, and then I end up buying all the CDs.

Basically, I download as much as I buy.

China Boy
01-26-2006, 01:29 PM
^
Same here, if I hear about a band, I download some songs to see if they're any good, then if I really like them I buy their CDs.

Igniton
01-26-2006, 02:24 PM
^ I have done that alot with alot of the CDs i have

peko
01-26-2006, 04:49 PM
I use Limewire. Lately, I've been downloading a lot more than I buy because I have no money. I hate having a copied CD, but I don't want to stop listening to music because I can't go out and buy CDs. I'll eventually go out and buy the albums I downloaded once I'm out of debt.

original_prankster
01-26-2006, 06:15 PM
I usually only download hard-to-find stuff. For example, I couldn't find Flux Of Pink Indians or Rudimentary Peni CDs ANYWHERE, so I downloaded a bunch of their songs.

Before somebody says "Why don't you buy them online?", I would like to let you know that I've been ripped off twice online and now my dad is too afraid that it'll happen again so he won't buy stuff on the internet anymore. :(

peko
01-26-2006, 09:28 PM
That's the risk you take with the internet. I've been ripped off plenty by individual people, so now I always make sure I'm buying from a trusted source.

01-26-2006, 09:32 PM
No one should ever buy an Offspring CD ever again, just download them all like they really want us to do. You remember that whole Conspiracy of One/downloading thing...

yay
01-26-2006, 09:36 PM
This is where people get confused. P2P Programs such as Limewire are LEGAL if you use them LEGALLY. IE. Don't download copyrighted materials. But which person who has Limewire or any other P2P program only downloads Legal materials? This is where the problem starts. Limewire have incorporated technology into the latest editions which tell you which files are licensed and which aren't, so they are protecting themselves in some way from Legal problems arising about how legal the program is.

At the end of the day I buy all the music from bands I have respect for. Bands such as Green day, Offspring, Blink 182, Living End I'll only download rare songs from. When they bring out an album I'll support them and pay for it. Bands which I like one or two songs from I'll download of Limewire.

Yatesy
01-27-2006, 08:52 AM

Basically, I download as much as I buy.

I've never done that before. =\ Meh I just rarely download in general anyway.

Mannen som blev en gris
01-27-2006, 11:18 AM
Yeah, but doesn't that kind of ruin that feeling you get when you've bought a new cd? That whole "Woah, this is awesome!"-feeling, you know?

0r4ng3
01-27-2006, 11:22 AM
I actually download to preview a band. For example, I only downloaded "Internet Dating Superstuds" by the Vandals. Now, I have 5 of their CDs.

killer_queen
01-27-2006, 11:32 AM
I always buy Cds. In fact I don't buy. Whenever I see my mom is going out for shopping I say "You know, Soulfly released a new album and your daughter loves them". By the end of the day I get my CD, that's all. Downloading? I don't know where to download. Daddy doesn't allow me to use those p2p stuff.

Mannen som blev en gris
01-27-2006, 11:35 AM
Oh, well that makes sense. I thought you were one of those who download a full album and then, if they like it, buy the cd.
I don't even download for that reason, but since I'm a big fan of Musicmatch Jukebox's Radio thing (kind of like that Pandora page, only better), I've often heard a couple of the songs of a band before I buy one of their albums. I discovered both Manowar and Blind Guardian this way, so thank you Musicmatch. :)

Igniton
01-27-2006, 07:01 PM
yeah i buy singles off itunes, if i cant get them for free, then buy the CD, if not just download more songs if i like it, because not always a whole cd is good

Webby
01-28-2006, 06:12 PM
Yeah, but doesn't that kind of ruin that feeling you get when you've bought a new cd? That whole "Woah, this is awesome!"-feeling, you know?
no. cause it could be that whole "woah why in hell would i waste money on this" feeling. which sucks cause after you use a CD you really cant return it most of the time.

Webby
01-28-2006, 06:15 PM
I use limewire. i dont see anything wrong in getting something that you cant touch for free.

its true you cant touch a sound. but when you buy a CD you're buying the casing, the booklets, the lable on the CD and the service of them burning it for you. technically you're not buying the music.

Endymion
01-29-2006, 12:43 AM
I use limewire. i dont see anything wrong in getting something that you cant touch for free.

its true you cant touch a sound. but when you buy a CD you're buying the casing, the booklets, the lable on the CD and the service of them burning it for you. technically you're not buying the music.
that form of cd is printed, not burned.

supposedly you're NOT paying for the medium, you're paying for the license when you buy a cd. so buy the mp3s from itunes and then request a copy of the cd from the distributor and they'll change their tune and say you're paying for the medium. current property laws are just screwing the consumer in the end. there is no consistancy. intelectual property laws are fucked up big time and need to be completely redone.

notoriousdoc
01-29-2006, 03:03 AM
CDs and Ares

Mannen som blev en gris
01-29-2006, 06:11 AM
no. cause it could be that whole "woah why in hell would i waste money on this" feeling. which sucks cause after you use a CD you really cant return it most of the time.
Yeah, I guess I've never had that feeling. I actually think all of my CDs have been worth paying for. Even those two (2, dos, två, yes TWO) Linkin Park albums. Even if I don't listen to them much anymore I still think they were worth buying.

i dont see anything wrong in getting something that you cant touch for free.
Can you touch the internet? You pay for that too, you know.

Never Gonna Find Me
01-29-2006, 11:46 AM
I tend to buy CD's or borrow my friends. :cool: But if its only one song I want then I'll just download it.

Webby
01-30-2006, 01:40 PM
Can you touch the internet? You pay for that too, you know.
there is actually a free wireless internet service.. i think.
i remember it on the news once but i wasnt really paying attention.

but no. thats a service. you pay for services. MP3 files are not services.
like I said before the service of the recording company burning er. printing whatever. for you. its a service.

or getting your hair cut is a service

Webby
01-30-2006, 01:51 PM
that form of cd is printed, not burned.

supposedly you're NOT paying for the medium, you're paying for the license when you buy a cd. so buy the mp3s from itunes and then request a copy of the cd from the distributor and they'll change their tune and say you're paying for the medium. current property laws are just screwing the consumer in the end. there is no consistancy. intelectual property laws are fucked up big time and need to be completely redone.
well if you werent paying for the medium they wouldnt print labels on it. or make inserts.

“If nature has made any one thin less susceptible than all other of exclusive property it is the action of thinking called an idea, which an individual may exclusively possess as long as he keeps it to himself”
that is the wonderful thomas Jefferson. yea.. thats basically the one quote that defends me i have a lot more ... i did a report on this last semester

Nineteen Seventy Nine
01-30-2006, 02:21 PM
I just dowloaded at least 60 songs from people's savefiles for free

Webby
01-30-2006, 02:46 PM
I have about a thousand music files on my computer.. i'd say 90 percent are downloaded at least

Mannen som blev en gris
01-31-2006, 07:40 AM
there is actually a free wireless internet service.. i think.
i remember it on the news once but i wasnt really paying attention.

but no. thats a service. you pay for services. MP3 files are not services.
like I said before the service of the recording company burning er. printing whatever. for you. its a service.

or getting your hair cut is a service
So you think movies should be free too? Though... whatever.

Nina
01-31-2006, 10:50 AM
It's not just about supporting the band (who really dont get much from the 15bucks), it's also about supporting the people who have worked on the CD. It all costs money. It's a good job, an awesome job, and should be supported. period.
If I had more money I'd buy a LOT of CDs.
This way I'm stuck with not having a lot of new music, since I only rarely download anything. sux but whatev.

Yatesy
01-31-2006, 12:37 PM
I buy cd's way more often than I downloaded. Today I found out that I have brought around 40 cd's in the past year.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
01-31-2006, 01:26 PM
2004 and early 2005 were really good years for me and CDs... I bought around 60.

But that was before I got my iPod and got it working. Now I download more often... pay half, find files off the internet half. I probably only bought 15 CDs physically since.

Original prankstA
01-31-2006, 01:28 PM
i don't have any type of mp3 so i use the computer for when im on the computer and cd's for hangin out and the car and i carry a boom box aroud when i skate

Nineteen Seventy Nine
01-31-2006, 01:54 PM
i don't have any type of mp3 so i use the computer for when im on the computer and cd's for hangin out and the car and i carry a boom box aroud when i skate

I use my iPod for like everything there. When I am on the computer I use iTunes, same stuff on it. In car rides, it is just the iPod, and when I skate I plug my iPod into my backpack which has speakers on it. It is cheap speakers but still clear to here and easy to work.