PDA

View Full Version : Noodles Backing Vocals

Ceejio21
01-22-2006, 07:17 AM
Afternoon all,

Something quite interesting I've just noticed (albeit somewhat trivial I know). You know how on a typical Offspring album track, let's think of 'Dammit, I Changed Again' for example, usually Dexter provides the backing vocals aswell as the lead vocals? And quite often they are overlapping vocals?

For example:

'Hey come inside, while I stand here acting bold (Can't Stand to Feel This Way) Clear out the cobwebs in my soul'

This of course is a trick that can be done in the studio, but obviously when they played this song live both Greg and Noodles would gang vocal the 'Can't Stand to Feel This Way' part as Dexter can't sing both at once.

However, after listening to 'Defy You' acoustic I heard Noodles backing up the 'Can you leave it all behind, cos you can't go back' part as expected, but surprisingly to me, when I listened to the album version of 'Defy You' I noticed that it was actually Noodles that recorded the studio backing vocals which I thought was pretty strange cos as mentioned, Dexter normally does it and you can never normally hear Greg or Noodles on backing vocals on album tracks. Check it out.

That_Guy91
01-22-2006, 07:18 AM
You have way too much free time.

Ceejio21
01-22-2006, 07:19 AM
Tell me about it!

Ceej

mrconeman
01-22-2006, 09:14 AM
Noodles and Dexter sound freakishly similar anyway.

electric_alexa
01-22-2006, 09:19 AM
yeah, I agree

Jojan
01-22-2006, 09:31 AM
Everyone that's on a forums has too much free time.

Hypodermic_89
01-22-2006, 09:37 AM

I assume you have never compared Dexters and Gregs voices? Sound like twins :P

Ceejio21
01-22-2006, 10:05 AM
If you download the Dammit, I Changed Again video live from Much Music 2000 (the one where Dexter forgets the lyrics) you'll see that Greg doesn't stop singing in that song, his backing vocals come through along stronger than Noodles on that occasion.

punker
01-22-2006, 10:42 AM
^^if you hear the song without watching the video you couldnt say is dexter or noodles or greg

Nirushika6789
01-22-2006, 12:50 PM
If you download the Dammit, I Changed Again video live from Much Music 2000 (the one where Dexter forgets the lyrics) you'll see that Greg doesn't stop singing in that song, his backing vocals come through along stronger than Noodles on that occasion.
Ah yes...I thought that was hilarious...the backing vocals going on without the main vocals :p

nameless
01-22-2006, 02:36 PM
i always thought noodles nd greg did backing vocals on albums as well!

Igniton
01-22-2006, 03:23 PM
i dont know why, but it seems like every bands lead vocals and backup vocals sound the same alot... you would just think it was an echo or some computerized thing but there is another person singing along

pretty_fly_white_guy858
01-22-2006, 03:43 PM
Does anyone have that video/MP3?

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
01-22-2006, 06:15 PM
Yeah, i'd like to see it too please. :p

neocon58
01-22-2006, 11:38 PM
Someone upload the defy you acoustic again, that rocks.

lost_nvrfound
01-23-2006, 12:39 AM
i always thought noodles nd greg did backing vocals on albums as well!
They do. The backing vocals on the recordings of a particular album will always have Dexter, Noodles, and either Greg or Ron (it never seems to be both, though I'm not going to swear by it.

lost_nvrfound
01-23-2006, 12:40 AM
Someone upload the defy you acoustic again, that rocks.bd007h has it on savefile.com. click on the link in his siggy.

devil_666
01-23-2006, 02:43 AM
i already new about defy you, i didnt no about the other song, ive done alot of research noodles is my fav (noodles rulez) how did you find that out

bouncingcoles
01-23-2006, 07:30 AM
Afternoon all,

Something quite interesting I've just noticed (albeit somewhat trivial I know). You know how on a typical Offspring album track, let's think of 'Dammit, I Changed Again' for example, usually Dexter provides the backing vocals aswell as the lead vocals? And quite often they are overlapping vocals?

For example:

'Hey come inside, while I stand here acting bold (Can't Stand to Feel This Way) Clear out the cobwebs in my soul'

This of course is a trick that can be done in the studio, but obviously when they played this song live both Greg and Noodles would gang vocal the 'Can't Stand to Feel This Way' part as Dexter can't sing both at once.

However, after listening to 'Defy You' acoustic I heard Noodles backing up the 'Can you leave it all behind, cos you can't go back' part as expected, but surprisingly to me, when I listened to the album version of 'Defy You' I noticed that it was actually Noodles that recorded the studio backing vocals which I thought was pretty strange cos as mentioned, Dexter normally does it and you can never normally hear Greg or Noodles on backing vocals on album tracks. Check it out.

they must have thought noodles voice would sound better for that backing vocals part. i think it sounded cool.

punker
01-23-2006, 08:35 AM
Dammit, I Changed Again from Much Music is online.
-> Download (http://offspringbootlegs.co.uk/video/requests/Much%20Music%202000/08%20-%20Dammit,%20I%20Changed%20Again.mpg) <-
thanks dude

FOXMAN
01-23-2006, 08:56 AM
I think guys in studio version of "DEFY YOU" the backing vocals are from Dexter and not from Noodles. By the way, it's perfect!

NIX-on-the-MAN
01-23-2006, 08:59 AM

I assume you have never compared Dexters and Gregs voices? Sound like twins :P
So I'm not going crazy! :eek:

gijserman
01-23-2006, 09:58 AM
Afternoon all,

For example:

Hey, you're right! I never noticed that, although i did notice that Dexter does his own backing vocals most of the time..
I don't think Noodles and Dexter sound the same, Dexter's voice is much higher

In fact.. the only song in which I can clearly hear Noodles sing besides Defy You is Self Esteem, (bla bla blablabla, bla bla blablablah)
Can't think of another song where you hear Noodles

lost_nvrfound
01-24-2006, 05:48 AM
I think guys in studio version of "DEFY YOU" the backing vocals are from Dexter and not from Noodles. By the way, it's perfect!
No, its Noodles. Dexter doesn't do the backing vocals where it is just one person singing, because thats just corny.

gijserman
01-24-2006, 10:13 AM
No, its Noodles. Dexter doesn't do the backing vocals where it is just one person singing, because thats just corny.
Actually, he does, in almost every Offspring song