PDA

View Full Version : Tips for finding bandmates

dain84
01-23-2006, 04:54 PM
Hi, I play bass, and I want to start a pop-punk/grunge band. How should I go about this?

JoY
01-23-2006, 05:00 PM
do you have a music-teacher? if so, you could ask him/her for people who might be interested. you could call other teachers & ask them if they have students that would like to play in a band. you could place an add in a newspaper, or just hang a note in your local supermarket, or better yet; musicschool, asking if anyone would like to start a band. or depend on the social system & just ask friends, if they know anybody.

Conspiracy of One
01-23-2006, 05:01 PM
I'm sure you could just steal them, right dain?

0r4ng3
01-23-2006, 05:03 PM
Or attempt to pwn them.

Drummerguy123
01-23-2006, 05:04 PM
I've been wanting to start a band too, but I don't know how to go about asking people to join. What sucks even more is that my musical taste is so much different than everyone else at my school.

dain84
01-23-2006, 05:06 PM
I'm sure you could just steal them, right dain?
Nah, stealing people isn't legal anymore.

dain84
01-23-2006, 05:07 PM
I've been wanting to start a band too, but I don't know how to go about asking people to join. What sucks even more is that my musical taste is so much different than everyone else at my school.
I feel the same way! I'm almost the only person at my school that doesn't listen to hip hop, emo, or death metal!

dain84
01-23-2006, 05:09 PM
Or attempt to pwn them.
Believe it or not, that won't help start a band. Unfortunetly, only one of my friends plays an instrument, and he also plays bass.

dain84
01-23-2006, 05:27 PM
do you have a music-teacher? if so, you could ask him/her for people who might be interested. you could call other teachers & ask them if they have students that would like to play in a band. you could place an add in a newspaper, or just hang a note in your local supermarket, or better yet; musicschool, asking if anyone would like to start a band. or depend on the social system & just ask friends, if they know anybody.
Thank you for not being immature and actually helping me.

JoY
01-23-2006, 05:45 PM
you're welcome.

Flexing Wings
01-23-2006, 06:08 PM
I must be tired, I could have sworn the title of this thread was 'tips on binding housemates'...

I was thoroughly disapointed to find the truth.

Drummerguy123
01-23-2006, 06:43 PM
I must be tired, I could have sworn the title of this thread was 'tips on binding housemates'...

I was thoroughly disapointed to find the truth.

I guess you can't win them all...

Homer
01-23-2006, 06:59 PM
Well, what I did is I just found friends that play intruments (I also discovered that the St. Adolphe area is musically talented). But, the things is that I had to find people who I'd actually want to play with, so I showed some of my friends Along The Way, then I got a guitarist. I got my bassist by taking a drummer only a year into drum lessons and convinced him to play bass. But now I'm looking for a drummer...

So, basically, it's all a matter of having friends and making an effort to put it all together. Like, try to convince one of your friends to start playing an instrument.

Vera
01-23-2006, 11:01 PM
Local paper? Put a "seeking" ad there? You might get a lot of losers but also some really good candidates.

darthdudeguy4
01-26-2006, 09:09 AM
Hang posters up around your school
(i almost joined a band who's poster i saw but they didnt want anyone in my grade level)

killer_queen
01-26-2006, 09:27 AM
Also, try to find people who are flexible for the kinds. It wouldn't be a nice thing if your bandmates always refuse to play some certain songs. People who really love music are the best ones to play with.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-26-2006, 10:06 AM
If you have a local instrument shop, I find they're good places to put up notices. Most places let you do it for free.

nieh
01-26-2006, 10:11 AM
Believe it or not, that won't help start a band. Unfortunetly, only one of my friends plays an instrument, and he also plays bass.

Who says you need a typical line-up? A band with two bass players could come up with a unique sound. Anyways, put up fliers at your local cd stores and your local music (as in instruments) store. You could put an ad in the paper, but that's only really a good idea if you already have stuff going and just need one more member.

dain84
01-27-2006, 10:54 AM
Two bass players.. that just might work, but my friend is 18 and already in a band that's getting kinda big. They're going on a west coast tour in a couple months.

Nirushika6789
01-27-2006, 11:01 AM
As most people have said put ads in local areas where people your age hang out etc...

Even just in a local shop...you neverknow

And as Vera said, in the 'seeking' section in the newspaper....That could really work:D

dain84
01-27-2006, 05:37 PM
Damn it's hard to find people that aren't already in a band......

Sinister
01-27-2006, 06:58 PM
gotta agree... had the biggest trouble finding a bass player for my temporary band. and now the keyboardist will have to play 2nd guitar cause our guitarist sucks, and didn't like our song list.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-27-2006, 07:06 PM
Finding decent drummers is astonishingly hard these days.

0r4ng3
01-27-2006, 07:08 PM
That's because everyone's playing guitar nowadays. I'm sick of it. That's why I started to play bass.

zomg punx, and such.

Sinister
01-27-2006, 07:09 PM

yeah. and finding a decent drummer who's willing to play TKAA is even worse.
edit : in that case, doesn't exactly have to be a decent one.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-27-2006, 07:12 PM
TKAA? I'm talking Metallica, Dragonforce stylie.

coke_a_holic
01-27-2006, 07:14 PM
Bass is the worst to find. All the kids that play bass are the ones that play because their friends picked the "good instruments" first when they formed a friendband. I'm going to buy a bass because I love playing bass and I will put how many bands I will suddenly be needed by on a graph as time progresses.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-27-2006, 07:16 PM
That's true. Most teenage bassists make me cry.

0r4ng3
01-27-2006, 07:19 PM
Bass is the worst to find. All the kids that play bass are the ones that play because their friends picked the "good instruments" first when they formed a friendband.
That's not true in my case. Bass was always my first choice, but they were hard to find, so I bought a guitar first.

dain84
01-27-2006, 07:24 PM
Bass is the worst to find. All the kids that play bass are the ones that play because their friends picked the "good instruments" first when they formed a friendband. I'm going to buy a bass because I love playing bass and I will put how many bands I will suddenly be needed by on a graph as time progresses.
I picked a bass because it's fun. Great thing is that I don't have to find a bassist! I know a great drummer, but he wants to be in a metal or emo band.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-27-2006, 07:24 PM
Bass theory can be learned on a guitar. Infact before Leo Fender made the first electric bass, a lot of people were taking their Fender Strats and using them as basses.

coke_a_holic
01-27-2006, 07:25 PM
That's true. Most teenage bassists make me cry.
In my guitar class, there's a room in the back with a drumset and a bass, today I decided that I would be the first to actually use the bass like a bass. Everyone that's been playing the bass in there this year (about 3 kids) has used a pick and played "follow the guitar." Talk about lame. Now, I've only played bass on about 2 occasions (one being when I wanted to see what it was like, the other being when I wanted to see what it was like again), but I like to think that I was the first person to use the nice Jazz Bass in there as an actual bass. I plan on buying the least expensive bass (probably a squier/amp set) possible as soon as I make the money just because it's so much fun.

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
01-31-2006, 04:00 AM

For sure, my friend took up bass, other friend already had been playing guitar, so i took up guitar and it took us like around 5 months to find a drummer, but we found a drummer who's been playing for 4 years :p

Screamer1
01-31-2006, 02:38 PM
I feel the same way! I'm almost the only person at my school that doesn't listen to hip hop, emo, or death metal!

AHHH ME TOO!!!!!!

There are no pop punk/punk rockers at my skewl. . . its a lonley place Y_Y

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
02-02-2006, 08:38 AM
3 Quick steps to finding band members:

1) Find a Gun
2) Hold the Gun at the persons head and TELL them they WILL be in your band
3) If they refuse, Leave None Alive.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
02-02-2006, 01:06 PM

yeah, like there is this local band here and they are made up of 2 brothers and 1 of their friends, the best one on guitar or bass there is the drummer and has to teach his little brother and his friend all the new things he learns on guitar

3 Quick steps to finding band members:

1) Find a Gun
2) Hold the Gun at the persons head and TELL them they WILL be in your band
3) If they refuse, Leave None Alive.

hahaha I was thinking something like that

dain84
02-02-2006, 03:32 PM
Okay, I'm in a three-piece now. Our first practice is when I can get a better bass amp, so soon probably.

The Cinder
02-23-2006, 03:20 AM
Hi, I play bass, and I want to start a pop-punk/grunge band. How should I go about this?

Do like me, I joined a metalband even if I didnt liked metal. And then I burned my Bad Religion and my Offspring cds and gave to them and now we play Punk-metal. We sound a bit like pennywise.

offspringisoldschoolpunk
02-23-2006, 08:22 AM
get someone good or is a friend. get someone whos not a control freak or they'll just try to control the band.

StayInTheHouseCarl
02-23-2006, 10:29 AM
it all basically starts with finding people with the same interests as you. Starting a band with friends is a good way to start out.

Ferret
02-24-2006, 02:37 AM
I play Guitar, but I only chose it because I do love guitars, there is nothing more satisfying than busting a solo on stage getting it perfect and then fading back to rhythm.

Problems today- everyone wants to be the lead guitarist. Noone plays bass cause its a boring instrument as some people say. Drummers are in short supply cause kits can be quite expensive.

georgie/dexter
02-26-2006, 05:21 AM
I play Guitar, but I only chose it because I do love guitars, there is nothing more satisfying than busting a solo on stage getting it perfect and then fading back to rhythm.

Problems today- everyone wants to be the lead guitarist. Noone plays bass cause its a boring instrument as some people say. Drummers are in short supply cause kits can be quite expensive.

you think drumers are in short supply, try finding a singer that isn't occupied

georgie/dexter
02-26-2006, 05:34 AM
get someone good or is a friend. get someone whos not a control freak or they'll just try to control the band.

i told my last guitarist to fuck off because he was telling me how to sing the fucking song, and he kept screwing up and then he put the blame on me
fucking asshole

NDM1
02-26-2006, 08:47 AM
I've actually had no problem with bassists or drummers. We have a bassist that likes to play guitar but we made him play bass, and our drummer just loves to play drums so that was good. The hardest piece to find IMO is a quality singer. Everybody wants to play lead guitar even if they suck.

darthdudeguy4
02-26-2006, 03:10 PM
Noone plays bass cause its a boring instrument as some people say.
I play bass its not boring to me

coke_a_holic
02-26-2006, 03:20 PM
Problems today- everyone wants to be the lead guitarist. Noone plays bass cause its a boring instrument as some people say.
Wha? The bass is fucking awesome. And who says you can't bust out into a bass solo? You've gotta educate yourself.

Don't get me wrong, I play guitar too and I love it love it love it love it, but you can't claim the bass is a boring instrument because it's as (if not more) versatile than the guitar. You can do a whole lot with a bass that you can't do on a guitar.

skiddles824
03-03-2006, 09:10 AM
Wha? The bass is fucking awesome. And who says you can't bust out into a bass solo? You've gotta educate yourself.

Don't get me wrong, I play guitar too and I love it love it love it love it, but you can't claim the bass is a boring instrument because it's as (if not more) versatile than the guitar. You can do a whole lot with a bass that you can't do on a guitar.

you can say that again the basss fucking rules!!!!

oja
03-06-2006, 01:15 PM
people from this thread is so nice!!!
lol
ok i play guitar and im in the same trouble with you no one in my school listen to the music i listen and thatr sucks

i'd like to make a band with an offspring fan but im from argentina and i don't think im ever gonna find someone to make a band with, except my friend, we've got a band but it's just the two of us and no one else

sanjo
03-08-2006, 08:48 PM
im new here but
tell me ur views on a classic rock band( me & my friend r starting one)
im scared it wont work cause mostly old people listen to classic rock

oja
04-06-2006, 02:08 PM
it's ok don't be afraid
old people can listen to you
and if you really like music you don't have to make music only for teenagers
and if you make classic rock you''ve got the chance of playing in bars
if you make teen music you can make hits but it's like up-and-down ya know?

enjoy makin' music 4 yourself and stop thinking of anybody else!!!!

euge

sanjo
04-06-2006, 08:14 PM
it is true drumberss r in a short supply

bouncingcoles
04-07-2006, 08:57 AM
you gotta find people that you could be great friends with and who is just as interested in playing music as you. make sure you dont get people that will be a lazy fucks. Make sure they will be willing to practice often and work hard. remember it only takes 1 person to ruin an entire band.

skaterpunke
04-14-2006, 06:33 PM
i need tips for a band

neocon58
04-14-2006, 08:36 PM
i need tips for a band

Like, cuetips, or what?

DeAtHsTaR
04-14-2006, 11:00 PM
My band started a few weeks ago.... so far we only have covers though. These are the ones we've done.

Agent Orange- Bloodstains
Social Distortion- Reach for the Sky
Green Day- 409 in your Coffee Maker
The Offspring- Session (I scream the fuck part)
AC?DC Highway to Hell

skaterpunke
04-14-2006, 11:10 PM
Like, cuetips, or what?
no dumass, i'm starting a band and i need tips from ppl

Zero
04-15-2006, 12:23 AM
no dumass, i'm starting a band and i need tips from ppl

It's called "Sarcasm"...Look it up.

DeAtHsTaR
04-24-2006, 04:54 PM
SO my band finally had its first practice in 3 weeks yesterday, and it was great. We have two original songs and we have covered California Sun by The Ramones and Teen Spirit by Nirvana.

sanjo
04-29-2006, 02:17 PM
Damn Okay Me And My Friend Are Learning To Ply Our Instruments Im Playin The Bass And He The Guitar,,, Too Many People Play The Guitar So Bass All The Way....what We Need Is A Drummer Even 1 That Dosnt Know How To Play Sice Were Learnin As Well

Freshy
04-29-2006, 02:34 PM
Eey that's good man...

its one fine day
05-01-2006, 06:59 AM
www.formingbands.co.uk
it found me my guitarist really quickly