PDA

View Full Version : ipod owners help me out

Jebus
01-24-2006, 09:51 PM
So I just bought an Ipod from my friend. The thing is that it doesn't work. It turns on but then this picture of a folder with a triangle appears. In an ipod forum, I read that if you hear something rattle inside when you shake the ipod a bit, you're suppose to open the case and take out the hardrive. Then shake it a bit untill the rattle is gone. This should supposely solve my problem. Just to make sure this is the problem, can any of you shake your ipod and see if you hear anything rattling. I want to know if you're suppose to hear something rattle or if it's just happening to mine.

Endymion
01-24-2006, 09:56 PM
i've got a 4th generation ipod color dealy, no rattle.

Sunny
01-24-2006, 10:02 PM
um.

it sounds like your friend sold you an ipod with a busted hard drive. first of all, the folder with a triangular warning sign indicates data corruption.

the rattling.. well it sounds like a part of your hard drive is broken. and wtf, how can you take it out of the case? the ipod IS a hard drive itself!

i have two working ipods with me here right now, and there's no rattling at all. there IS, however, some rattling in my old-ass 10 gb ipod... with a corrupted hard drive.

=/

Italia311
01-24-2006, 10:05 PM
Did you upload the firmware? I had to do that when I got my Ipod and it was brand new! Try that out man. Mine wouldn't play mp3 untill I updated it...sounds stupid but it might work.

Tired_Of_You
01-24-2006, 10:08 PM
I hear something when I shake my iPod, but I don't think it's the same sound/rattling you're talking about. Mine works fine. I wouldn't open the case. =/
I think Sunny is right.

Jebus
01-24-2006, 10:10 PM
Here's the quote and the apparent reason for the rattle

luckily I have yet to have to deal with this problem on my 4G but here's some information for you.

If you have ever opened up a hard drive you will see that it has several platters and an arm that swings across the platters. When you start to hear the whirrrr....click....whirrrr....click you are hearing the platters start to spin and then the click is the arm trying to move but it's "stuck". So when you shake your hard drive what you're doing is trying to get the arm to get "unstuck". It is somewhat fortunate that this is working on so many people's iPods because I have rarely been able to get it to work on a regular sized hard drive. Whatever any of you do though, don't open the hard drive itself. Unless you are in a certified clean room that drive will die and you'll never be able to use it again.
here are the threads
http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=130697&perpage=15&pagenumber=1
http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?threadid=135673&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

and wtf, how can you take it out of the case? the ipod IS a hard drive itself!
It was kind of hard but I opened it. The hardrive itself is detachable.

Italia: the ipod software doesn't detect the ipod. It says something like "can't mount ipod"

Endymion
01-24-2006, 10:20 PM
erm... the whirl-click is usually the read head hitting a platter...

at least in normal harddrives, anyway.

Sunny
01-24-2006, 10:20 PM
this doesn't sound too good. =/ so your ipod software doesn't detect it... but does your operating system? does the ipod pop up on the desktop as an icon? if so, what happens when you click on it?

Andy
01-24-2006, 10:29 PM
That's the exact thing that happened to my old Ipod. It's a harddrive error, and I believe it needs to be replaced. That takes about 100 here to get it fixed; not sure how much it'll be where you are.

Italia311
01-24-2006, 10:30 PM
Hrm..thats weird man. I really don't know wha to tell you. I had problems and I reinstalled the software and updated the firmware on the ipod and then everything worked.

Good Luck.

Jebus
01-24-2006, 10:33 PM
Sunny: When I connect my ipod to my pc, I get this message in my ipod saying "do not disconnect" and then my computer starts to make that noise when it detects new hardware. I can't exactly remember what pops out but I think I recall something about unistalling hardware. At the moment I have my ipod opened so I don't feel like closing it and checking it again.

I've been shaking it like crazy but it doesn't seem to be working. :(

Another thing that shows up in my ipod sometimes is this.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/Savemejebus/ipodbatterytri.jpg

EDIT: I forgot to mention that it's a 20gb 4th gen.

Endymion
01-24-2006, 10:41 PM
that one's low battery.

Jebus
01-24-2006, 10:56 PM
zomg! after giving the hard drive a good banging(oh, the things I did to it!) and putting everything back together, it started working again! It went to the menu but then it told me that I needed to recharge the battery which I'm doing now.

EDIT: Sunny, you should give it a try on your 10 gig. What do you have to lose?

Endymion
01-24-2006, 10:57 PM
cool!

awesome, in fact!

congrats!

ipods are fun.

Lars
01-25-2006, 03:48 AM
To be honest I'd have thought shaking it (violently) would fuck it up. I guess I'll try that on mine anyway.

Plectrums make it pretty easy to pry open an ipod without any damage to the plastic.

Igniton
01-25-2006, 12:28 PM
my friends ipod did that.... he got it replaced... it should of worked if you hooked it up to the comp and deleted everything on it

JohnnyNemesis
01-25-2006, 12:35 PM
It's funny, because this thread was like drama to me. And I'm so happy it has a happy ending. FUCKIN' SWEET!

Now that it's working, there should be no shame in this question: how much did you pay anyway?

Jebus
01-25-2006, 12:45 PM
$60. Yes, I know. It's a sweet deal!

I may have to wait till tomorrow to use it though. I updated the ipods firmware and it requires me to plug it in directly to the wall using the power supply. The firewire cable was the only thing my friend didn't include so I have to wait untill he finds it because that's the cable I need to connected the ipod to the power supply. :( ...Drama + +

Lars
01-25-2006, 12:49 PM
damn, it didn't help mine :( maybe I need to shake it more, or play catch/baseball with the HD? I think it just ended up truely messed up after 2.5 years of use or so... too much movement on the HD's part and the platters are probably too fucked or the read heads damaged, or both.