PDA

View Full Version : Networks (computer help needed)

Tizzalicious
01-25-2006, 07:43 AM
We have a wireless network. I turned some folders on my PC into shared folders, usually if I'd go to "My network places" on my laptop, they would be there. Now I made some more folders shared ones, but they don't show up =/ In fact, NONE of the folders I shared on my PC are showing up here anymore. Does anyone know what could be wrong? My PC is turned on, and connected (as far as I know), and the network on here is too.

If I click "view workgroup computers" it says I'm not allowed to go there. That the network isn't accesible. Meh.

Idiot
01-25-2006, 07:49 AM
I know how to fix these sort of things but can't explain for shit over the internet.

The Unbroken Libido
01-25-2006, 07:55 AM
I would try and reestablish the network between your computer and the PC. Use the Windows XP network wizard and create a new connection by going into My Network Places, click on the set up a wireless network for home or office.

Idiot
01-25-2006, 07:57 AM
There are better ways of getting round it.

Do you know the IP address of any other computers on the network?

If you do, go to "Start" and "Run" and type 'cmd'. Then type ' ping IPAddressHere ' e.g. [ ping 192.168.0.1 ] and see if it pings.
If it says Destination Host unreachable a firewall on one of the PC's could be blocking access.

The Unbroken Libido
01-25-2006, 08:00 AM

If you do, go to "Start" and "Run" and type 'cmd'. Then type ' ping IPAddressHere ' e.g. [ ping 192.168.0.1 ] and see if it pings.
If it says Destination Host unreachable a firewall on one of the PC's could be blocking access.

Yea, thats a good way to check where the problem may be. Good thinking.

Tizzalicious
01-25-2006, 08:01 AM
They both seem to have the same IP address (which I don't know by heart =/ I tried to find it by typing ipconfig in the run thing, but nothing happened when I did that =/)...

And creating a new network? Can I do that when there's a 3rd computer?

The Unbroken Libido
01-25-2006, 08:04 AM
They both seem to have the same IP address (which I don't know by heart =/ I tried to find it by typing ipconfig in the run thing, but nothing happened when I did that =/)...

And creating a new network? Can I do that when there's a 3rd computer?

No, you should type IPconfig in the command screen. Type CMD in the run screen press enter then type IPconfig.

I don't think it should matter how many computers are connected.

Tizzalicious
01-25-2006, 08:18 AM

I just did it on my laptop, and it did ping. (If getting a reply from the ip address means it pings, that is.) Now I'll try on my PC.

And about the more PCs...could I just make a new one for my laptop and my pc, and just leave the other PC out? Like...would that make a new//extra network, but still keeps the other one on a network too?

Endymion
01-25-2006, 08:19 AM
quick thought--are you sure you're connected to your network?

Tizzalicious
01-25-2006, 08:21 AM
quick thought--are you sure you're connected to your network?

Well, they can both go online...so...that'd be a yes? Because they use the network to be online. And they both have the network online shit in the taskbar.

I just pinged on the PC too, and that worked too.

Or do I have to ping the other computer's IP?

Meh. I'm confused and annoyed.

The Unbroken Libido
01-25-2006, 08:30 AM
When you use the Network wizard, it automatically detects any computer connected to the network. If you want to simplify things, turn off the other computers that you don't really want, therefore it eliminates confusion and you are working with just two computers (your laptop and the pc). I'm trying to think of other ways you can work through this but time is running short and i have to get to class :( . Oh, you may also want to try to transfer the files through command. I'm not too familiar with DOS commands so if you know how to transfer a file via command...you could try that. Otherwise, Windows networking has been somewhat of a problem from time to time in my experiences.

***what about hard wiring your laptop to the router? Steal a cable that is connected from the router to another PC and just plug it into your laptop to the router.

How strong is the wireless signal?***

***What ver. of Win. do you have?***

Lars
01-25-2006, 08:42 AM
Have you tried rebooting them? I've sometimes had issues where I can't get computers to show up on my network at home and just reboot and it finds them right away.

The Unbroken Libido
01-25-2006, 08:48 AM
Unfortunately I have to go to class, this website might be of some help:
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/wxplanch.html (http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/wxplanch.html)

Good luck!!!! :)

Tizzalicious
01-25-2006, 09:04 AM
When you use the Network wizard, it automatically detects any computer connected to the network. If you want to simplify things, turn off the other computers that you don't really want, therefore it eliminates confusion and you are working with just two computers (your laptop and the pc). I'm trying to think of other ways you can work through this but time is running short and i have to get to class :( . Oh, you may also want to try to transfer the files through command. I'm not too familiar with DOS commands so if you know how to transfer a file via command...you could try that. Otherwise, Windows networking has been somewhat of a problem from time to time in my experiences.

***what about hard wiring your laptop to the router? Steal a cable that is connected from the router to another PC and just plug it into your laptop to the router.

How strong is the wireless signal?***

***What ver. of Win. do you have?***

The other PC needs to be on a network too though, or else it won't have the internet anymore. So if I just add this, will the old network still be there too?

Also, I can't do the cable thing, as it'd have to be all across the house ;)

The signal is "excellent" on both computers.

And I have XP. Everywhere.

Lars, I tried that, didn't help :(

Lars
01-25-2006, 09:29 AM
hmm...

They're all wireless? Going from a wireless router if I remember?

Can any of the computers access any network places or such? That would at least help figure out which is/are having a problem.

Tizzalicious
01-25-2006, 09:32 AM
Yes, they are all wireless, a wireless router indeed.

And I can't see the shared folders that are on my laptop when I try on my PC either. So I guess it doesn't work both ways. I don't know about the 3rd computer, that's my parents' and I think it could never see my stuff, not sure though, but I think they aren't on the workgroup.

Tizzalicious
01-25-2006, 11:05 AM
OMGWTF? It suddenly works again. Weird shit. Anyway, no more help needed, thanks everyone who tried!

Idiot
01-25-2006, 01:58 PM
Wireless networks are weird like that, sometimes do stop working and then randomly work again just like that. Its like they just want to tease you.

Nina
01-26-2006, 12:32 AM
That's exactly why I'll never get a router and go wireless!

Tizzalicious
01-26-2006, 12:33 AM
Wireless sucks. Sometimes. Usually it's fine though, and better than having cables al over the house. Plus now I can be online on my laptop, in our garden. And in my bed. But it's annoying when it suddenly stop working.

Lars
01-26-2006, 05:48 AM
I blame windows networking... It's always easiest to blame it on that.

wires are still faster than wireless as well. I think my router's only messed up one and just needed a reset. Much better/more reliable than the shitty modem that was supplied by the isp that would drop connections too often and then loose connectivity for hours/days while their engineers couldn't tell weather there was a problem with the line or not.