PDA

View Full Version : Artic Monkeys

Yatesy
01-27-2006, 09:43 AM
I'm not sure if many people have heard of this band, un-less you live in the UK where they are pretty much everywhere at the moment. If you have, whats your opinion of them? Are they really as good as everyones makes them out to be? I think they're a good band and all but they are very repetative and unoriginal. Oh I've added a poll too.

icklebabygremlin
01-27-2006, 09:48 AM
When the sun goes down is really good

Lars
01-27-2006, 09:49 AM
I don't even know what they sound like. I think I heard one of their songs on the radio or something once, can't remember it.

It's all a load of pr hype. The whole 'internet' fanbase shit. Yep, sure the constant barrage of that and then all the money put behind them to advertise them on every medium didn't help at all...

It's a shame that mediocre to bad acts can get signed for extortionate sums whilst much better bands linger around for years and years.

Piedude
01-27-2006, 10:04 AM
I really dont like them, from what Ive heard the guy really cannot sing...I think I saw a video for Dancefloor on MTV2 and he said a little hello speech before they began and his voice was all over the place just on that...and when he was playing guitar if you took the guitar away it would have looked like he was tickling his nipples...
I consider it to be all hype.

nieh
01-27-2006, 10:22 AM
I don't even know what they sound like. I think I heard one of their songs on the radio or something once, can't remember it.

It's all a load of pr hype. The whole 'internet' fanbase shit. Yep, sure the constant barrage of that and then all the money put behind them to advertise them on every medium didn't help at all...

It's a shame that mediocre to bad acts can get signed for extortionate sums whilst much better bands linger around for years and years.

So you don't know what they sound like, but you're assuming they're mediocre or bad? That's not entirely fair.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-27-2006, 12:43 PM
I actually really like them. It's not my kind of music at all but it's so catchy. I'm getting the album as soon as I can afford it.

notoriousdoc
01-27-2006, 12:57 PM
I've never heard of them. The Arctic Monkeys are pretty good though

They're all hype really though

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-27-2006, 01:26 PM
I disagree. I think they have a very fresh sound. Not exactly original but they're hardly untalented.

Mentally_Challenged
01-27-2006, 04:48 PM
I've heard them, but I don't have much of an opinion on them. I never hear about them much on tv or anything either, so I can't really say they're over-rated.

Rag Doll
01-27-2006, 05:37 PM
I've only heard of them because of someone in the UK (Dave/TUNB). But I quite enjoy them. Plan to get their cd when it's released here.

Kerr
01-28-2006, 05:04 AM
I don't currently plan to get the album, as I have heard by decent reviewers that it isn't what it is said to be. I has kinda 50/50 in chooseing the second option, since I like only a few songs by them. I might or might not get their album. but yeah, they are one of the most overrated bands in the UK today, alongside Oasis.

cybermears
01-28-2006, 05:29 AM
There Amazing i bet that you look good on the dancefloor beat passed all the shit music in the UK and got to number one in the charts half there stuff was already all over the net ages ago before the album came out

i do think the album art and name of the album relie sucks tho

H1T_That
01-28-2006, 07:05 AM
is it just me, or is 'arctic monkeys' a really shit name for a band, fair enough, its original, but its far from cool.

Andy
01-28-2006, 08:34 AM
Their extreme popularity would make for them to be seen as overrated, but they are indeed a great band and deserve everything they've achieved. Not overrated.

offspringrammsteinfan
01-28-2006, 08:36 AM
I downloaded their cd this week and I love every single track on it. They are awesome.

Rufus
01-28-2006, 08:44 AM
I think that they are a really good band I am going to buy their CD as soon as I can afford it I don't know how overrated they are because I don't listen to the radio very much and I heard about them because a friend told me about them

nameless
01-28-2006, 08:51 PM
ive seen a few clips of them! they arent bad but are hardly brilliant either!

Never Gonna Find Me
01-29-2006, 05:21 AM
I despise them. Along with The Magic Numbers.

Vera
01-29-2006, 05:52 AM
I heard one song & while okay, I don't see how this has sold so much in England. I guess media hype plays a huge part in the band's success.

Lars
01-30-2006, 05:56 AM
So you don't know what they sound like, but you're assuming they're mediocre or bad? That's not entirely fair.
To be honest, I think it is to an extent. You get used to these bands (generalisation) that are hyped by the same music magazines that are just a medicore act and so just become numb and ignore. That said, people that I know were not overly impressed and that's good enough for me.

I heard one song & while okay, I don't see how this has sold so much in England. I guess media hype plays a huge part in the band's success.
Oh, media hype plays a big role in a lot of releases over here. I seem to recall someone telling me that apparently it's "officially the 3rd best album ever" or something like that, not sure where he got that quote from.

Yatesy
01-30-2006, 12:34 PM
^You're probably thinking of The NME's top 100 British albums and it was only number 5. But that chart doesn't mean anything to me, what with The Stone Roses being number 1 and whatnot. *shudders* =|