PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite song & why?

kamikaze
01-29-2006, 06:52 PM
My favorite song has been the same since I was about ... well, I'm not sure. Since I can remember, anyway. "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" by The Tokens. Here's the why part: when I was very little, my Uncle Wally had a juke box in his livingroom. Anytime I'd go there, he'd put that song on the juke box and dance with me until I was ready to do other things. He'd play it a million times if he had to. However, he passed away about a year ago. Now when I hear it, I start to cry so I haven't really been able to listen to it anymore. But it will always be my favorite song.

Now, you tell me your favorite song and why. And it can't be something stupid and gay like, "OMG I TOTALI LUV STRONGER BY MY GRRRL BRIT SPEARS CUZ SHES MY IDOLLL!!11!1!/1/1!" K? K. Now tell me!

Nineteen Seventy Nine
01-29-2006, 07:07 PM
It is very close when it comes to this but my ten finalists are:

"Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana because it is just a great song with great guitars and it reminds me of my school. This would be probably be the song I would pick if I could only pick one.

"Bad Habit" by The Offspring because it's just awesome. It shows the anger I really like.

"Cold Day In The Sun" by Foo Fighters because it is one of those songs where you aren't in a good mood it will turn you around.

"Bust A Move" by Young MC because it is me and my friend's party theme song. We made up this little dance thing (resembling Grind) for it and it is sweet.

"Always" by Saliva because it reminded me of alot of things when I listen to it. It is a really rocking song too.

"Nothin' But A Good Time" by Poison. Grind got me to like it but now I love it. It is hard to desribe it.

"Boom" by P.O.D. Was THE song. Grind did something with this song again. It just shows how awesome music can be.

"Superman" by Stereophonics. It is one of those songs with a meaning that you like and has a sweet beat to it.

"Fire It Up" by Black Label Society because it is soo easy to love this song. It really hard metal and is something that you blast your iPod too.

"The Breakup Song" by American Hi-Fi. Something I can relate to? Sweet chorus and everything.

Edit: Man On The Moon by R.E.M. is a classic song I listened to alot as a kid and it brings back my childhood.

"Infected" by Bad Religion because it has a perfect intro and catchy chorus. I love this song.

nieh
01-29-2006, 07:11 PM
Dismemberment Plan - The Other Side (http://s40.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=19C0NCYONJZG43B437N5QWE040)

Because it's awesome. The music is great, the lyrics are depressingly optimistic and while I have heard other bands try doing the same kind of thing, they've never come close to pulling it off this well. The whole song is just awesome.

It used to be No Rain by Blind Melon. That still ranks pretty high but it doesn't top this anymore.

Drummerguy123
01-29-2006, 07:14 PM
Hard to say. If I don't include Offspring songs, it would be Stairway to Heaven because it is just plain awesome, Black Dog by Led Zeppelin because it is just plain cool and I love the drum beats, Around the World by the RHCP because I love the vocals, Disarm by the Smashing Pumpkins because of its powerful lyrics, Untitled by the Smashing Pumpkins because of its powerful lyrics, Sh'e Leaving Home by the Beatles because I need a sad song every once in a while, Eleanor Rigby by the Beatles for the same reason, or Ava Adore by The Smashing Pumpkins because it is just really good and I love the rhythms.

T-6005
01-29-2006, 07:14 PM
My favorite song changes all the time, depending on songs I get tired of and my mood at the moment.

Betty
01-29-2006, 07:28 PM
Alex, you rock SOOOOO much for saying that.

My daddy used to always play that on his guitar and sing it when we were little kids. Even now, it's a really popular campfire/party song whenever we have family get togethers. My dad warms up his vocals so he can do the super high "Eeee-eee-eeee-um-um-a-weh" (I have no clue how to type that) part. And then my uncles do bird calls and jungle noises in the background. It's fantastic.

Other popular childhood sing-a-long songs include "Dance, Dance, Dance" by Steve Miller and other popular drunken party sing-a-long songs include "Margaritaville" by Jimmy Buffett.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
01-29-2006, 08:15 PM
In 2003, and every year before that it seemed. It was "Man On The Moon" by R.E.M. It reminds me of my childhood I guess.

Sunny
01-29-2006, 08:18 PM
I don't see anything wrong with liking Britney Spears' bubblegum pop.

I have a bunch of favorite songs, and they change every week or so. I don't think I could pinpoint an all-time favorite. Not all of them are all cool, and I can't quite justify why exactly I like them. Well.. they become my favorites because they remind me of certain happy moments.

Like "This Is How We Do" by Big Tymers is one of my faves right now because it reminds me of my husband in a stretched out red tshirt carrying me around on his back and singing along to it. And he's so white it hurts.

That might be "stupid and gay", but frankly, I don't care.

Isolated Fury
01-29-2006, 08:25 PM
Actually, Alex loves Britney Spears. She practically adores her.

I don't really know why she used her as an example, though.

coke_a_holic
01-29-2006, 08:34 PM
Right now, it's Les Claypool's Frog Brigade playing Holy Mackerel's Hendershot. It sounds nothing like anything you'd hear Les play because it's a really upbeat surf-rock song. I <3333 the saxophone solo and the use of the line "His Ol' Greasy Granny called him Hendershot." This song's been playing on repeat for the past like 20 minutes.

Jebus
01-29-2006, 08:49 PM
For a song to qualify as a song, it has to have lyrics, right? That really limits my choices then. I was going to say Tango Suite for Two Guitars by Al Dimeola and Paco de Lucia but no lyrics. : (

At the moment, it's Dream Theater's Take The time. At first, I didn't like it because it sounded really cheesy. It has that cliche 80s metal type of singing where the vocalist would test the limits of his vocal range. I listened to it once and never heard it again untill a couple weeks ago. Now, I realise it's freaken awesome. Everything about it's great, specially the vocals, despite the the cheesiness. The keyboardist was also fucking awesome. His solo was perfect. I would know how else to describe it. Sometimes I wish he would have stayed in the band instead of having Jorden Rudess replace him. I like Rudess, but he tends to limit himself to those boring keyboard wank solos.

Isolated Fury
01-29-2006, 08:52 PM
I think it's lyrics optional.

Don't worry.

yay
01-29-2006, 08:52 PM
It changes slighly with my mood but generally it's the all time classic Green Day song "Basket Case".

Rocky-girl
01-29-2006, 08:57 PM
It's hard to say. I think I like most of all song "Fire Wter Burn" by Bloobhound Gang. I like it because I think it was the happiest day in my life when I heard it. And I think that I like songs not for its lirycs or music I like songs when they remaind me smth good.

Camilamazed
01-29-2006, 09:10 PM
Some songs of Madona (Like a prayer, La isla bonita,Cherish etc...)

Luka - Susane vega

The Goonies r good enough - Cindy Lauper

Songs that always remind me of good times.

Sunny
01-29-2006, 09:21 PM
I could think of some more now:

as of 01/30/06:

I'll Cover You from RENT
Us by Regina Spektor
Bowl of Oranges by Bright Eyes
The Dirty Glass by Dropkick Murphys
King Without a Crown by Matisyahu
die Flut by Wolfsheim + Rammstein

Betty
01-29-2006, 09:22 PM
When I finally realized what "Luka" was about, it really depressed me. I still love the song though.

And Cherish and Like a Prayer are two of my favourite songs of all time.

neocon58
01-29-2006, 09:23 PM
There isn't one definite favourite song for me, it always changes. I'm currently loving "The Leaving Song" by AFI (not pt II)

Camilamazed
01-29-2006, 09:28 PM
When I finally realized what "Luka" was about, it really depressed me. I still love the song though.

And Cherish and Like a Prayer are two of my favourite songs of all time.

Great taste. I thought I was the only one who likes Madona ..... :)

XYlophonetreeZ
01-29-2006, 11:24 PM
For a couple of years now, it's been a dead-even tie between Blind Melon's "No Rain" and Sponge's "Plowed."

No Rain because it just always makes me feel good. By itself, I don't even really like Shannon Hoon's voice, but it fits perfectly into the song and I don't mind it at all. I guess what really makes this song is that the guitar is just absolutely beautiful. There's a great solo, but it sounds awesome throughout. I love the lyrics too, as simple as they are. They really evoke a sense of mundanity, but at the same time there's a lot of optimism, which is expressed through the music.

You wanna know the funny part? I like this song so much that I could never bring myself to listen to anything else by Blind Melon. I've heard one of their other songs on the radio (Tones of Home, I think it was) and I wasn't too big on it, and I just got this feeling that I wouldn't be into their stuff beyond No Rain. I didn't much care for Hoon's voice and I rarely like that sort of band beyond the couple of odd songs. Anyway, the idea of checking their other stuff out hasn't ever really excited me. I'm totally indifferent because they just hit home on No Rain. I don't need anything else.

nieh, of course when you mentioned a song had uprooted No Rain from your "favorite song" position I had to check it out. I really like it. Holy shit, those are some spastic drums, but after a couple of measures with the guitar in there and everything, you realize that they actually work. Very cool. I still like No Rain better, though. :cool:

And my other favorite song is "Plowed" by Sponge. I'd never heard it before until a couple years ago (late 2003 I believe). I believe everyone was just starting to realize that it was no longer too early to get nostalgic about the '90s, and radio stations started digging up some old forgotten '90s hits. When I first heard it I had no idea who it was. At first I was thinking maybe Social Distortion because Vinnie Dombroski sort of sounds like Mike Ness in that song, but the style was totally different (I would later discover that Vinnie just has a really versatile voice and sounds different in almost any two given songs). When I googled "I'm lost and I'm found and I can't touch the ground; I'm plowed into the sound" and Sponge came up, I'd never heard of them. Shortly thereafter, I downloaded Plowed and after a few listens I dubbed it my favorite song. I mean, shit, the fuckin' energy of that song! It's the ideal song for when I'm driving at night on an open road, going well over the speed limit, just coasting. Even now when I've heard it hundreds of times, I still get this chill down my spine. That song just excites me. And there's not even anything very original about the song, except for the guitar sound, and the really tight consonance of the two guitar parts (a staple of Sponge's sound in general).

Unlike Blind Melon, I went out and bought everything they'd ever made just because I loved the idea of liking a totally forgotten and underrated '90s band. And they remain my favorite band to this day.

Betty
01-29-2006, 11:28 PM
One day we went to Canada's Wonderland (amusement park near Toronto) and they were playing the video for "No Rain" on all the TV screens while waiting in lines. I must've heard it about 50 times that one day. The funny thing is that it made me enjoy it even more.

Tizzalicious
01-30-2006, 01:16 AM
OMG I TOTALI LUV A SONG TO SING BY MY GRRRLS (??) HANSON CUZ THEIR MY IDOLLL!!11!1!/1/1!"

Really though. That has been one of my favourite songs for years.

I have a few more, but it changes a lot all the time.

Izie
01-30-2006, 01:22 AM
Wahhhh I'mma go all teeny and say Trouble With Me. Although it's a relatively new song so I might not like it in a while... Ok, then The Show Must Go On.

Queen <33

killer_queen
01-30-2006, 02:11 AM
Killer Queen - Queen
Because of the great lyrics, Freddie's great voice and the lovely melody. And it's so fun to play it on piano.

Itsari - Sepultura
This song must be the most original song I've ever heard. It makes everyone peaceful.

I Feel Fine - The Beatles
I don't know. Reminds me my childhood.

Sin Studly
01-30-2006, 02:42 AM
Right now, The Mercy Seat by Johnny Cash. Because the Mercy Seat is waiting for us all.

ninthlayer
01-30-2006, 04:50 AM
1979's list screams of teen angst in the worst way. Saliva? Sick. Faggot.

An all time favorite is going to be impossible, but a current top listing can be done:

Blood Brothers - Feed Me to the Forest
The abrupt ending leading into Trash Flavored Trash took me by surprise and I had to watch the tracks actually change to nail the ending of the song.

Bright Eyes - Poison Oak
This song just builds into an excellent climax and plateaus until the end. The language of it is picturesque and affecting.

Desaparecidos - The Happiest Place on Earth
Oberst does well fronting a rock group. Swing low satellite indeed.

Elliott Smith - Bled White
The lyric "I'm not fucked (not quite)" is enough to make this song amazing.

Matthew Good Band - Tripoli
I've never been a big fan of using children to sing choruses in songs (drawing from experience with Pink Floyd music in my youth), but this song has something different different about it. Kids CAN sing about guns and not have it be totally faggotted and unnecessary (such as MCR).

mewithoutYou - the Soviet
Not many bands can pull off Christianity without sounding like they should be sitting around a campfire and eating s'mores. Aaron Weiss is amazing with words.

Morrissey - Let Me Kiss You
A thoroughly depressing song about awkwardness between the sexes and playing out of your league. Has a really bitter ending.

the Faint - How Could I Forget?
You think you're intellectual but no one's talking to you now is the ultimate fuck you to scenesters. Yeah, I said scenesters.

the Format - Tie the Rope
A poppy song about getting hanged, how could it be anything but amazing?

the Get Up Kids - Regret
Yeah, it's a cover. I prefer the Get Up Kids version over New Order's original version, namely because of the singing voices of the vocalists. New Order was better as Joy Division.

kamikaze
01-30-2006, 05:23 AM
Everyone's making me super happy with your stories. But let me clarify a few things:

1. Songs don't need lyrics. Music is music, with or without words.

2. I'm a huge fan of Britney Spears. I just didn't want generic answers.

3. That's really it. Haha.

Sin Studly
01-30-2006, 05:26 AM
Alright, for music alone I love the Russian Waltz, Chopin's Nocturne #9 with violin introduced to it, Janis Joplin's "Ball and Chain", and Apocalyptica's "Romance". Because they're fucking moving, the kind of shit you can close your eyes to and sit back with a red wine and just lose yourself in.

Sin Studly
01-30-2006, 05:28 AM
Ulver's "Perdition City" and Duke Ellington's "Harlem Nocturne" also rank up there.

kamikaze
01-30-2006, 05:29 AM
You wanna know the funny part? I like this song so much that I could never bring myself to listen to anything else by Blind Melon. I've heard one of their other songs on the radio (Tones of Home, I think it was) and I wasn't too big on it, and I just got this feeling that I wouldn't be into their stuff beyond No Rain. I didn't much care for Hoon's voice and I rarely like that sort of band beyond the couple of odd songs. Anyway, the idea of checking their other stuff out hasn't ever really excited me. I'm totally indifferent because they just hit home on No Rain. I don't need anything else.

I'm sort of biased about this. Blind Melon is in my top 5 favorite bands and I'd recommend them to anyone. While not many of their songs has the ear-catchiness (yes, I just made a word up) of "No Rain," the feeling behind each song can put any other band to shame. When I listen to Blind Melon, I honestly feel the song. They are on of the few bands that can make me cry, smile, laugh, sigh... any of that. If Shannon's vocals aren't your cup of tea, that's fine too. At some points in time, I can't handle Brian Molko's (Placebo) voice. But if you want to hear a great, great, great song of Blind Melon other than "No Rain," try "Soup" or "Change." They both have amazing meanings and are honestly my favorite BM songs.

kamikaze
01-30-2006, 05:30 AM
OMG I TOTALI LUV A SONG TO SING BY MY GRRRLS (??) HANSON CUZ THEIR MY IDOLLL!!11!1!/1/1!"

Really though. That has been one of my favourite songs for years.

I have a few more, but it changes a lot all the time.

"Man from Milwakee" is still my fave Hanson song. :x

kamikaze
01-30-2006, 05:32 AM
I don't see anything wrong with liking Britney Spears' bubblegum pop.

I have a bunch of favorite songs, and they change every week or so. I don't think I could pinpoint an all-time favorite. Not all of them are all cool, and I can't quite justify why exactly I like them. Well.. they become my favorites because they remind me of certain happy moments.

Like "This Is How We Do" by Big Tymers is one of my faves right now because it reminds me of my husband in a stretched out red tshirt carrying me around on his back and singing along to it. And he's so white it hurts.

That might be "stupid and gay", but frankly, I don't care.

If you're being sincere, there's really no way for it to be "stupid and gay." It's not generic. I like honesty more than someone trying to impress people. I liked your answer a lot. I pictured your story & smiled to myself.

Tizzalicious
01-30-2006, 05:36 AM
"Man from Milwakee" is still my fave Hanson song. :x

Haha, cute. I like that one too. I haven't listen to MON for ages though.

kamikaze
01-30-2006, 05:37 AM
Alex, you rock SOOOOO much for saying that.

My daddy used to always play that on his guitar and sing it when we were little kids. Even now, it's a really popular campfire/party song whenever we have family get togethers. My dad warms up his vocals so he can do the super high "Eeee-eee-eeee-um-um-a-weh" (I have no clue how to type that) part. And then my uncles do bird calls and jungle noises in the background. It's fantastic.

Thank you. & That story is amazing. I'm jealous. But have you ever noticed that it's NEVER on the radio? When I listen to oldies stations, I hear it MAYBE once a month. That, of course, is if I'm lucky that day. It's a great song. Really is.

kamikaze
01-30-2006, 05:38 AM
Haha, cute. I like that one too. I haven't listen to MON for ages though.

TCG is a good version, too. But MON will always be their best album in my eyes.

kamikaze
01-30-2006, 05:39 AM
Right now, The Mercy Seat by Johnny Cash. Because the Mercy Seat is waiting for us all.

I'm pretty obsessed with Johnny Cash. Have you seen "Walk The Line" ?

Tizzalicious
01-30-2006, 05:40 AM
TCG is a good version, too. But MON will always be their best album in my eyes.

I'd say TTA is :) Though MON is all nostalgia. I also love Snowed In, I used to listen to that all the time, even in summer. I'm so lame.

kamikaze
01-30-2006, 05:42 AM
I'd say TTA is :) Though MON is all nostalgia. I also love Snowed In, I used to listen to that all the time, even in summer. I'm so lame.

Hahahah, I still do. When I have kids, they'll be brought up on Hanson Christmas songs. It's the only Christmas album I've ever heard that I can listen to anytime and not get fully annoyed.

adombomb222
01-30-2006, 05:44 AM
there a lot of song i like and i dont remember them all but heres some:

Pain by Jimmy Eat World because if you look and listen to its lyrics is really dark, i guess i like dark songs. the fact that it doesnt sound dark enlighten me i guess you could say, it just a great song.

Soldier Side by System Of A Down This one gets to me because i feel storngly about the war, and the fact that it says "God is wearing BLACK" gets to me, cause i do think if there is a god, he\she does wear black some times. not always fair, and sometimes dark and evil.

Boom! By System Of A Down this song also has to do with the war and how messed up corperations are in both america and the world. plus i like how this songs sounds.

Question! also By System Of A Down i guess i like this song cause we do have questions, like where do we go when we die and are there ghosts. i love the way this song sounds. its also a great song.

Ring Of Fire this one cause i just love the way it sounds i like its message and this is the only country ill ever like.

Man in Black this one goes back to the darkness thing, i love johnny cash's music but i respected him cause he always wore black, a dark man. i guess thats just who i am, and i can relate to him in that sence.

And that all my brain is alowing me to remember this moring. im gonna get ready to go to school, drink my monster energy and see how cold it is today!

Tizzalicious
01-30-2006, 05:44 AM
Hahahah, I still do. When I have kids, they'll be brought up on Hanson Christmas songs. It's the only Christmas album I've ever heard that I can listen to anytime and not get fully annoyed.

Same here, haha :) I love that album.

nieh
01-30-2006, 05:45 AM

Their s/t album wasn't really anything special (it wasn't bad either though). Soup and Nico were both really good though (Nico was a collection of rarities, b-sides and random recordings of Shannon with an acoustic guitar). You should check out Dumptruck, Toes Across the Floor, Mouthful of Cavities and Glitch.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-30-2006, 05:50 AM
I'll do a list of my current favourites and some all time greats.

Current

March of Mephisto by Kamelot
Normally when I listen to a song a few hundred thousand times (as I tend to do when I find a good one) I do get bored of it. Naturally. But for some reason this one keeps me coming back, time after time. I can't even put my finger on it - on the surface it's not any more special than anything else on The Black Halo, or any other Kamelot album for that matter. It's just superb.

Fields of Despair by Dragonforce
Simply because it's fast and heartfelt and it was the first Dragonforce song I heard.

The Lady Wore Black by Queensryche
I know metal suffers from really, really bad lyrics. As such I don't listen to them much. But I do really like the lyrics on this. Music's not bad either.

All Time Greats

The Drunkship of Lanterns by The Mars Volta
The Mars Volta really are a hit-and-miss band, but there's no denying the awesomeness of Deloused in the Comatorium, and this just caps it off wonderfully. It's one of those songs where it seems like it was made up on the spot, but it does it so well - it's not a mish-mash like most are, it just fits together perfectly. Plus it was the first song I downloaded after my old computer blew up, so it has nice connotations.

The Reflex by Duran Duran
I don't care what anyone says, Duran Duran totally rocked. Their greatest hits was probably the first CD I ever listened to, so I've kind of grown up with it. This song just awakens memories of me as a kid, when I was first getting into music. It's nice for me.

Orion by Metallica
It's just a fact - I hate instrumentals. I can't stand them. I think what swings this one for me is the truly amazing basswork. Like The Drunkship of Lanterns, it puts a lot of tempos and such together and pulls it off wonderfully.

Eye of the Tiger by Survivor
Because I'm sad and nostalgic.

Here I Am by Bryan Adams
Simply because for a long, long time I just couldn't listen to this song. It reminded me too much of someone. Recently I've found I've been able to listen to it again, and so it makes me happy whenever I do.

kamikaze
01-30-2006, 05:53 AM
Their s/t album wasn't really anything special (it wasn't bad either though). Soup and Nico were both really good though (Nico was a collection of rarities, b-sides and random recordings of Shannon with an acoustic guitar). You should check out Dumptruck, Toes Across the Floor, Mouthful of Cavities and Glitch.

"Skinned" is another amazing song. Haha. :D

Camilamazed
01-30-2006, 06:36 AM
Survirvor , yes... Nostalgic just like *Glory Of Love* by Peter cetera from the Movie Karate Kid ( I hope it is the right name)

ThrashedThrasher
01-30-2006, 07:27 AM
1.)Rooster by Alice in Chains

When I was a wee child, my dad was always listening to the whole Seattle grunge shit so I had to hear it all the time. I used to sit on the couch or floor and rock out to music vids on MTV >.< Everytime "Rooster" came on the radio or TV I always told my dad to "the Rooster song! Put the Rooster song back on!" Heh...then I loved the song just because it said Rooster...Now I have other reasons. My best friend is in the military, currently over in Iraq and that song kind of reminds me of our current situation. Every now and then it even makes me cry....

2.)Nutshell by Alice in Chains

Odd how this comes in second seeing how it is such a great song and how I relate to it so well...If you've heard it, I'm sure you know why it's a good song. If you haven't, I suggest you do...Uhm, Staind recently announced (at their last Seattle show) that they will never play this song again. I happened to be at that show and when they did play it for the last time I cried >.<

3.)Last Resort by Papa Roach

To make the story short, this is me and Ryan's song. We've been through hell and back (and hell again) together so many times. We've had to deal with eachother talking about just fuckin' leaving everything behind in such selfish ways, but never actually doing it....Knowing that it really is our last resort and until then we have eachother to worry about.

4.)Jeremy by Pearl Jam

If you've seen the video, it's quite self explanatory. In 8th grade I had about had enough with the shit I had to deal with at school and at home. I had planned out my selfish ways to occur at school. I also always get the image of Ryan when I think of this song/hear it...because I know he's capable of doing shit like that. The whole song pretty much describes us...which is fucked up...

5.)Travelin' Soldier by the Dixie Chicks

Shut up! Don't you dare fuck with me about this! I didn't hear this song until just before Ryan told me he was going to Iraq. Every time I listened to it I broke down in tears...Even now I skip the song when I'm listening to my MP3 player. The last thing I want to hear is "...don't worry but I won't be able to write for awhile." I still have yet to get a letter from Ryan so...The whole song describes us and how we feel perfectly. I'm in a way glad my friend had me listen to this song...

nieh
01-30-2006, 07:59 AM
5.)Travelin' Soldier by the Dixie Chicks
Shut up! Don't you dare fuck with me about this!

I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with that. It's the whole "Last Resort" thing you should get defensive for.

ninthlayer
01-30-2006, 08:13 AM
No, just her list in general. Sick to the max.

Sunny
01-30-2006, 08:16 AM
dear sean, you make sunnies very sad. :[

ninthlayer
01-30-2006, 08:20 AM
Because I didn't call. Yeah, I'm a faggot and a jerk. I woke up late, went to my parents' house, hurt my car, went to a play, came home, hung out with friends, went to happy chef, came back home at 3am and realized that I hadn't called you. Sry 2 teh maxxxxxx.

Sunny
01-30-2006, 08:22 AM
Yeah, I'm a faggot and a jerk.

yes you are. butthead :( what's with your car?

ninthlayer
01-30-2006, 08:26 AM
It's not bad or anything, we were trying to put a dresser in the back and tore the vinyl/insulation rubber stuff on the rear passenger door just enough to bother me.

Stop going off topic and talk about how much you love my taste in music from the first page.

Sunny
01-30-2006, 08:29 AM
i'd rather talk about how much i hate everybody else's.

Man in Black this one goes back to the darkness thing, i love johnny cash's music but i respected him cause he always wore black, a dark man. i guess thats just who i am, and i can relate to him in that sence.

...respected johnny cash CAUSE HE WORE BLACK?

can someone shoot me in the face right now?

ninthlayer
01-30-2006, 08:34 AM
With what?
OMGZROFLFTW!@!

goodnight (i promise i call today).

0r4ng3
01-30-2006, 08:38 AM
It used to be The Kids Aren't Alright by The Offspring. As of recently, it's City is Burning by Pennywise. It changes from time to time, actually.

Edit: Oh, right, I forgot "why".

The Kids Aren't Alright - This song introduced me to The Offspring, who in turn introduced me to other, more punk bands.

City Is Burning - Great lyrics, fast paced, awesome bass solo.

Andy
01-30-2006, 10:16 AM
I don't have a favourite song that because it means something special to me or whatever. I do, however, have preferred songs.

Currently the list is:

Jamiroquai - Deeper Underground. Absolutely perfect to listen to in the morning on the way to lectures to get you up and going. Oh, that sweet bassline.

Bullets & Octane - Pirates. Such a great fun song, completely infectious.

Ima Robot - Alive. Electro-rock and roll at it's very best.

The Ataris - San Dimas High School Football Rules. Always gets a mention as the lyrics tell the story of a place that everyone has been to.

I'm very much in love with Alkaline Trio lately, and although I could very easily put about 20 of their songs into this kind of list I think I'll lump with Mr. Chainsaw.

T-6005
01-30-2006, 10:25 AM
May as well add in my current favorites.

Michel Polnareff - Qui a Tue Grand Maman. I don't know, I just love the music in this song... the singing in the chorus sounds awesome.

Muse - Muscle Museum. There are probably about 8 Muse songs I could put into my current favorites, but this one hooks me from beginning to end... and it happens to be on now, so I'll put it down.

Kyo - Sarah. I like this song because I would sing it to my ex over the phone when we were apart. The harmony in the final chorus is one of my favorites in any song. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to listen to it since about October. Hopefully that'll change. Of course, luckily she didn't understand the lyrics. Aside from the fact that her name wasn't Sarah, some of them are a bit... not so accurate.

Sugarcult - Pretty Girl (The Way). This is really just a fucking great song. I love Sugarcult, and this is one of their best songs ever.

Coldplay - Don't Panic. Parachutes was an amazing album, even if it's cool to hate Coldplay now, and for me this is the best song off of it. It's absolutely amazing.

offspringrammsteinfan
01-30-2006, 11:12 AM
I can't realy choose between "Alles Aus Liebe" and "Bonnie und clyde" by die toten hosen, I don't know why these songs matter so much to me but every time I hear/listen to it I feel like jumpin', swingin', and singin' all in one. These two songs are brilliant. Ok they are love songs but hey not the fuckin' "I love you girl ohhhh"-songs. Just look at the lyrics of them: Alles aus liebe songtext (http://www.lyrc.com.ar/lyric/D/Die%20toten%20Hosen_Alles%20aus%20Liebe.html) bonnie und clyde songtext (http://www.lyricsdownload.com/die-toten-hosen-bonnie-und-clyde-lyrics.html). Beautifull.

el_monkey
01-30-2006, 11:19 AM
my fav is "under the bridge" by red hot chili peppers don't know exactly why, but I think it often just catches my mood and I highly admire the guitar part in this song

my 2nd fav is "original Prankster" because it makes me happy

Nineteen Seventy Nine
01-30-2006, 12:05 PM
The one's I named earlier are just all time favorites but my favorite at the moment is..

The Empire Strikes First- Bad Religion ... political type views with meaning and has an awesome tune

the_GoDdEsS
01-30-2006, 12:06 PM
and Apocalyptica's "Romance". Because they're fucking moving, the kind of shit you can close your eyes to and sit back with a red wine and just lose yourself in.

That one, "Beyond Time" and "Hope" are indescribably amazing to me.

And I can't pick one song. Impossible. The Adore album by Smashing Pumpkins.

Lakilea
01-30-2006, 12:12 PM
That one, "Beyond Time" and "Hope" are indescribably amazing to me.

I <3 Hope, Romance and Path alot.

As for favourite song... No idea. Depends of my mood.

the_GoDdEsS
01-30-2006, 12:13 PM
Oooh, "Path" is what got me into Apocalyptica mostly. Do you like the version with the Sandra vocals or without?

Lakilea
01-30-2006, 12:15 PM
I only listened to the one without vocals.

I actually like most of Apocalyptica's stuff (except Metallica covers) but all that I have is without vocals. Which makes it even more loveable ^_^

wheelchairman
01-30-2006, 12:27 PM
Weird Beard, it reminds me of when I first met Tizz.

Tizzalicious
01-30-2006, 12:29 PM
Oooohhhh, grrr.

offspring fan
01-30-2006, 01:38 PM
my favorite song right now is foo fighters - everlong.
relly good song...

darko
01-30-2006, 02:06 PM
Oooh, "Path" is what got me into Apocalyptica mostly. Do you like the version with the Sandra vocals or without?

Oh i love Path...both versions.....does anyone have the Video for it?

ThrashedThrasher
01-30-2006, 02:41 PM
I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with that. It's the whole "Last Resort" thing you should get defensive for.

I don't see that as being something to be defensive for, and I usually don't get messed with for it as much as I do for listening to the Dixie Chicks, then again I forget what board I'm on. *rolls eyes*

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-30-2006, 03:51 PM
But seriously.. Papa Roach?

nieh
01-30-2006, 04:10 PM
It's not even the fact that it's Papa Roach. For all I know, Papa Roach could be incredible song-writers that suffer from Shitty Singles Syndrome. It's the fact that it's Last Resort. LAST RESORT! I used to have that song on my playlist back when I was in high school, so I know what state of mind you have to be in to listen to Last Resort!

Original prankstA
01-30-2006, 04:28 PM
my favorite song changes so frequently i can never tell what my favorite is, but right now i'm really fond of "she's gonna break soon" and "we're all dudes" by less than jake

nieh
01-30-2006, 04:34 PM
my favorite song changes so frequently i can never tell what my favorite is, but right now i'm really fond of "she's gonna break soon" and "we're all dudes" by less than jake

We're All Dudes is probably their best song ever. I find it odd that they wasted it on Good Burger.

Original prankstA
01-30-2006, 04:37 PM
We're All Dudes is probably their best song ever. I find it odd that they wasted it on Good Burger.
ino it's pretty retarded but they wouldn't have wrote it if it weren't for that movie

Nineteen Seventy Nine
01-30-2006, 04:52 PM
my favorite song right now is foo fighters - everlong.
relly good song...

that was my favorite song a week ago

WebDudette
01-30-2006, 05:12 PM
When I'am depressed:AFI-...But Home is Nowhere,Gary Jules-Mad World
When I want to kick some ass:System of a Down-War?,Rage Against The Machine-Killing in the Name of
When I'am in a mellow mood:Zero-Smashing Pumpkins,Depeche Mode-Everything Counts
When I'am bored of Music:Pink Floyd-Confortably Numb,Shakti-La Danse Du Bonheur,The Chinese Stars-(Love) and the Electric Chair.

I'll never have one favorite song. There are way more then this. I could add 20 more to each of these catagories and add 20 more catagories but these are the first to come to mind

Andy
01-30-2006, 05:13 PM
that was my favorite song a week ago
So last week.. :rolleyes:

Nineteen Seventy Nine
01-30-2006, 05:16 PM
So last week.. :rolleyes:

lol

stupid ten characters

Betty
01-30-2006, 05:25 PM
The Ataris - San Dimas High School Football Rules. Always gets a mention as the lyrics tell the story of a place that everyone has been to.

Not entirely the same, but from the same era... I used to love "I Won't Spend Another Night Alone" ... brings back some pretty vivid memories of being in highschool.

Also, I ALMOST put "Last Resort" as one of the songs I like by bands I don't like in that thread in the other bands forum. It's super catchy.

BREAK
01-30-2006, 05:43 PM
The Beatles - Hey Jude

A hymn. I like how it starts off as minimally as possible, just a piano and voice, then the other members of the band join in a little at a time, the first three minutes fool you into thinking it's a standard verse/chorus/verse structure when in fact it's really just one long buildup, until the coda hits and takes the entire song into a higher spiritual plane, with a 40-piece orchestra and who knows how many backup singers, at that point it sounds like the entire world is singing along and some hyper fellow keeps screaming his lungs out about not making it bad and going out to get her. Cathartic, uplifting, soulful and jubilant all at once.

Marvin Gaye - Sexual Healing

That bassline really is one of the most beautiful riffs ever played, and Marvin's pleading vocals complement the lush musical background perfectly. Please don't procrastinate; it's not good to masturbate.

Stereolab - Les Yper Sound

If I were God, and I made angels, and then I made them make music, this is what it'd end up sounding like.

Faith No More - Epic

Yeah, I should've gone with "Midlife Crisis" instead, but I still like this song better. The first rap-metal hit single probably should've also been the last. From the one-note bassline in the verses, to the immortal "What is it?" refrain and the gothic-sounding keyboard outro, this song set the bar way too high for any of their followers to even graze. Not that they tried very hard, anyway.

Mission of Burma - That's When I Reach For My Revolver

MOB have always struck the perfect balance between mainstream and avant-garde for me. Reunion hype aside, they still don't get enough credit for pioneering everything from 90's alternative to shoegazer to post-hardcore (this during a time when hardcore was still a new genre). Rather than succumb to the straight punk rock or new wave of their peers, they went for something entirely their own, and still sound years ahead of most of today's popular bands.

The Stooges - Down On The Street

Man, I really wanna screw something.

Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb

The best approximation of a bad drug trip gone good I can think of. Probably not their best song, but surely the one I'm least likely to get sick of first.

Stevie Wonder - I Believe (When I Fall In Love It Will Be Forever)

On the other hand, if I were God and I made music, it would sound like this.

R.E.M. - Driver 8

We all need a break.

Pearl Jam - Alive

This was my favorite song when I was 16, and that wasn't long enough ago for me to just dismiss it quite yet.

Fugazi - Epic Problem

Story of my life. Nothing more to say.

adombomb222
01-30-2006, 07:52 PM
i'd rather talk about how much i hate everybody else's.

...respected johnny cash CAUSE HE WORE BLACK?

can someone shoot me in the face right now?

He made a point to always wear black, i can repect that right, whats so worng with that? Plus who wouldn't agree that Cash wasnt a great country artist?

nieh
01-30-2006, 08:03 PM
Faith No More - Epic

Yeah, I should've gone with "Midlife Crisis" instead, but I still like this song better. The first rap-metal hit single probably should've also been the last. From the one-note bassline in the verses, to the immortal "What is it?" refrain and the gothic-sounding keyboard outro, this song set the bar way too high for any of their followers to even graze. Not that they tried very hard, anyway.

Ew ew ew ew ew ew eww. How can that possibly your favorite song of theirs? I hate Patton's voice in it, I hate the lack of flow in the rapping in the verses (makes it sound almost like bad RHCP which, to be honest, is about 90% of RHCP's catalog), I hate that it didn't age well at ALL. The chorus is fine. But still, ew.

Sunny
01-30-2006, 08:34 PM
He made a point to always wear black, i can repect that right, whats so worng with that? Plus who wouldn't agree that Cash wasnt a great country artist?

well, it's fine to respect his right to do so.. but to respect him BECAUSE of it.. which is what you said... is a little ridiculous.

and of course he was an amazing musician, duh.

Rag Doll
01-30-2006, 08:39 PM
like Sim said...all of *Adore* is amazing.

my favorite song is *set the ray to jerry* by the smashing pumpkins. it's just got such a great vibe to it...both the music & lyrics. and it reminds me of summer. it's nice.

currently near the top of my list is *you're beautiful* by james blunt. i can relate quite a bit to the lyrics. and it's just...well...beautiful.

ThrashedThrasher
01-30-2006, 08:47 PM
It's not even the fact that it's Papa Roach. For all I know, Papa Roach could be incredible song-writers that suffer from Shitty Singles Syndrome. It's the fact that it's Last Resort. LAST RESORT! I used to have that song on my playlist back when I was in high school, so I know what state of mind you have to be in to listen to Last Resort!

...And this is why I left this board in the first place. You people have such narrow minds and believe that you know everything and every reason why someone likes something. Bullshit you know what kind of state of mind you have to be in to listen to the shit I listen to. Fuckin' cock munching jizz junkie.

bah, and I am off to the Dope board.

Sunny
01-30-2006, 08:49 PM
doesn't Dope have a song that goes "my little baby is a sex machine'?

XYlophonetreeZ
01-30-2006, 08:54 PM
I hate that it didn't age well at ALL.
"It's so cool, so hip it's alright! It's so groovy it's outta sight!"

OK, so maybe the lyrics didn't. But as far as twelve years later, bands made songs that sound a lot like Epic. Papa Roach, for instance. Was it GOOD influence? Probably not. But it still wouldn't sound that out of place when mixed with modern rap-metal. They weren't exactly the Beastie Boys. They were really ahead of their time in a lot of ways, in my opinion.

T-6005
01-30-2006, 09:13 PM
...And this is why I left this board in the first place. You people have such narrow minds and believe that you know everything and every reason why someone likes something. Bullshit you know what kind of state of mind you have to be in to listen to the shit I listen to. Fuckin' cock munching jizz junkie.
You are such an idiot it's not even funny.

Obie2trice
01-31-2006, 05:20 AM

I agree with you here, a lot of people here think they know it all

adombomb222
01-31-2006, 05:21 AM
[QUOTE=Sunny]well, it's fine to respect his right to do so.. but to respect him BECAUSE of it.. which is what you said... is a little ridiculous.QUOTE]

Then i ment it as i reppected him because the fact that he always did, and aging he made a point to do so.

adombomb222
01-31-2006, 05:41 AM
And i remembered another song!

Gone Away By The Offspring Because it's kinda weird story. it has to do with my fifth grade teacher, he was first tercher that i liked and respected. It was the only teacher i was really happy to see every day, onlike any other teacher before. but anyways when i was in sixth grad, i remember one day i got to school, and noone was outside waiting for the bell. and i got to my temp (where my class room was) and i saw my teacher crying and hugging the a parent. i didn't want to ask what was wrong so i went inside. and i saw all my classmates sitting in there chairs with their heads down. i went over to me set and asked my freind what was wrong. all i remeber him saying was "Mr. Rock's dead." in a real low voice. at first it didnt get to me, and i asked him if he was kidding and again he told mr Mr. rock had died. and i dont think i real beleved it, so i went outside and asked my teacher what happened, she told me the same thing, that Mr. Rock had died. it didnt make ence to me, i guess i couldn't understand deadth, the only other person close to me that i knew was my grandma and i wasn't old enought to relise it. i mean i had seen him just the day before i remember talking to him and laughing with him. later in the day, the school clonsers came to each class to talk about what happened. the told us that Mr. Rock had died because of a hart attck. at that moment i just cried, i knew what a hart attck was. i knew Mr. wasn't old enought to have one, let alone he was a healthy man. there wasnt a way he could have gotten a hart attck. a few days after that day i just remember waiting in the halls for lunch waiting for Mr. Rock to come say hi to us and the other sixth grade teachers (he always did that, every day). But he never came, about a week after i just tryed to excipt it and thats when i heard this song. this song when i heard it, it just made me cry, i relised what it meant right away, and it just made me think of what had happened the past week. Abd even thought this song makes me think of Mr. rock every time i still love this song, and i dont want to forget Mr. Rock. so I'll never stop listing to this song.

ninthlayer
01-31-2006, 05:45 AM
Can you translate that into English please?

ThrashedThrasher
01-31-2006, 06:00 AM
doesn't Dope have a song that goes "my little baby is a sex machine'?

Yes...."Sex Machine" one of their new songs that kind of sucks.

nieh
01-31-2006, 06:45 AM

You know we were just giving you a hard time, right?

ThrashedThrasher
01-31-2006, 03:22 PM
You know we were just giving you a hard time, right?

This I realize, but it's getting a little old and it down right pisses me the fuck off. This is the only board that I am almost hesitant to bother voicing my opinion on certain matters because of what you all have to say. For the most part I know you're all rather nice, although there's one person in particular on here that I think is a total cunt but I'm not going to say names.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-31-2006, 03:45 PM
Oh, go on. We won't tell.

nieh
01-31-2006, 04:15 PM
This I realize, but it's getting a little old and it down right pisses me the fuck off. This is the only board that I am almost hesitant to bother voicing my opinion on certain matters because of what you all have to say. For the most part I know you're all rather nice, although there's one person in particular on here that I think is a total cunt but I'm not going to say names.

You should do it back to us. Make fun of me for liking art-fag music like Sigur Ros or Radiohead. Or make fun of me for liking wuss rock like Guster and Sufjan Stevens. Or make fun of me for being a fucking music snob for listening to stuff most people have never heard like Can or the Residents or the Secret Chiefs 3. Don't take everything so seriously. Don't get upset over the stupid trivial things people say about you, just have fun with them.

T-6005
01-31-2006, 04:18 PM
Stop taking things seriously, and there's really not any problem. We all have things to be made fun of for, and none of them are really very difficult to figure out.

You need to just calm down.

ThrashedThrasher
01-31-2006, 04:25 PM
You should do it back to us. Make fun of me for liking art-fag music like Sigur Ros or Radiohead. Or make fun of me for liking wuss rock like Guster and Sufjan Stevens. Or make fun of me for being a fucking music snob for listening to stuff most people have never heard like Can or the Residents or the Secret Chiefs 3. Don't take everything so seriously. Don't get upset over the stupid trivial things people say about you, just have fun with them.

Stupid and trivial they may be, but come on. You people screw with me ALL the time. I've only been back on here, what? not even a week? And already it has set in.

I don't like making fun of people because of what they like, no matter how queer I think something is. Unless it's something that I have reason to not like.

I am rather calm, just irritated. There's a difference between being calm and irritated then not being calm and irritated.

nieh
01-31-2006, 04:38 PM
I honestly don't remember ever making a joke about you before just now and it had nothing to do with the fact that it was you. If anyone else made the exact same post you did, I would've responded the exact same way. I poke fun at people about stupid trivial things because it's funny to me and I expect other people to do the exact same thing to me because it's just as funny.

ThrashedThrasher
01-31-2006, 04:50 PM
It's not just you though. And it's not like you always have something to say about what I say.

There are a couple of morons on here that do.

kamikaze
01-31-2006, 05:48 PM
STFU!!11!1!!!1 This is an online forum. Not everything has to be taken seriously. You don't know anyone, and they don't know you. Be a bitch back if you want. No one really cares. Stop thinking people are trying to attack you personally. I don't really know anyone here, but I make it a point to keep out of drama. Especially the lame online kind.

Isolated Fury
01-31-2006, 05:49 PM
Here here.

Sinister
01-31-2006, 05:49 PM
STFU!!11!1!!!1 This is an online forum.

...not an online chatroom, which means using abbreviations is not necessary at all.

Isolated Fury
01-31-2006, 05:51 PM
...not an online chatroom, which means using abbreviations is not necessary at all.
I do believe it was meant as sarcasm.

Sinister
01-31-2006, 05:52 PM
I do believe it was meant as sarcasm.

kind of, but that sort of abbreviations really gets on my nerves when it's not on chat or IM systems.

kamikaze
01-31-2006, 05:55 PM
I always say "stfu" - online and off. I find it rather humorous, but it's not to be taken seriously. Not from me, anyway. Online typing/lingo/whateverthefuck is one of my biggest pet peeves. I do it to make fun of other people. Sorry you took it personally.

coke_a_holic
01-31-2006, 05:56 PM
Sinister: ...Dude...
*shakes head* Invest in this (http://cgi.ebay.com/Sense-of-Humor-1954-W_W0QQitemZ4607773993QQcategoryZ378QQssPageNameZWD VWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Sinister
01-31-2006, 05:58 PM
I would, but I don't have a credit card or anything to pay with.
and I doubt they have even half as much stock as I need.

ninthlayer
01-31-2006, 06:18 PM
The thing here is this:
No one has to make a joke about Thrash, because Thrash is already a fucking joke.

Each of the pigfaced nu metalhead's posts reek of marketed teen angst. It's pathetic and absurd. Not to mention that she name drops the Dope board like every other post. No one is impressed.

kamikaze
01-31-2006, 07:10 PM
The thing here is this:
No one has to make a joke about Thrash, because Thrash is already a fucking joke.

Each of the pigfaced nu metalhead's posts reek of marketed teen angst. It's pathetic and absurd. Not to mention that she name drops the Dope board like every other post. No one is impressed.

I'm not calling you emo or anything, but you really remind me of Conor Oberst. You're sort of like an elitist asshole, but in a good way.

Sunny
01-31-2006, 08:44 PM
i'm not sure why i laughed at the Conor thing, but i did. ahhahah. ;p

Sunny
01-31-2006, 08:47 PM
Yes...."Sex Machine" one of their new songs that kind of sucks.

well. i for one like it.

ThrashedThrasher
01-31-2006, 08:50 PM
The thing here is this:

I said "off to the Dope board" once. I may have mentioned the fact that I like it more than this one.

Marketed teen angst :D Yes, I am an angry teenager that feels like sitting in the dark corner to cut myself in order to "release my inner poisons."

I love you Ninth :D

*mind rapes you*

BREAK
01-31-2006, 10:12 PM
I'm not calling you emo or anything, but you really remind me of Conor Oberst. You're sort of like an elitist asshole, but in a good way.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

ninthlayer IS Conor Oberst! ! ! ! ! !

No seriously, he IS! ! ! ! ! ! !

*laughs to vomiting*

ninthlayer
01-31-2006, 11:29 PM
BREAK! dl

nieh
02-02-2006, 09:42 AM
"It's so cool, so hip it's alright! It's so groovy it's outta sight!"

OK, so maybe the lyrics didn't. But as far as twelve years later, bands made songs that sound a lot like Epic. Papa Roach, for instance. Was it GOOD influence? Probably not. But it still wouldn't sound that out of place when mixed with modern rap-metal. They weren't exactly the Beastie Boys. They were really ahead of their time in a lot of ways, in my opinion.

The music sounds aged to me and the song isn't good enough to make up for that fact. It bothers me so much too because just a couple years went by before their next album and they instantly got infinitely better at just about everything. Even though some of their later stuff still has an 80s vibe to it, the songwriting is just a thousand times stronger.

BREAK
02-02-2006, 03:04 PM
nieh, I defy you to name a hit single by a major-label band from the year 1989 that doesn't sound dated in any way today. Angel Dust may be a better album than The Real Thing, but it didn't have anywhere near the same commercial appeal. In fact, sometimes I can't even listen to it because it sounds like they're trying TOO hard to sound all ugly and anti-mainstream. In retrospect, I can't see any good reason why they couldn't have enhanced their creativity without sacrificing their pop hooks except, of course, that Mike Patton made them do it.

Iddy
02-02-2006, 03:58 PM
i know i'm late with this... but hey

Don't have a particular favourite song but a few that always stick with me:

Fields of Atherny - Dropkick Murphys - Love the song anyway, but their version is awesome... reaks of Rubgy Victory and drunken family parties. Reminds me of home in a very real way.

Thousands are Sailing - The Pogues - Perfection.

Rainy night in Soho - The Pogues - Great drunken sing-a-long. Reminds me of home again, not that i'm from Soho.. but those long midnight walks by the sea in the misty rain with someone whom you feel safe with, and not in a romantic way but knowing your in the presence of someone who will change your life.

Forever and a Day - The Offspring - Again, Perfection.

Romeo and Juliet - Dire Straits - Pure, True love song. Perverse, imperfect and truely beautiful.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
02-02-2006, 04:03 PM
I think
Infected by Bad Religion
will develop into an all-time favorite.

nieh
02-02-2006, 04:55 PM
nieh, I defy you to name a hit single by a major-label band from the year 1989 that doesn't sound dated in any way today. Angel Dust may be a better album than The Real Thing, but it didn't have anywhere near the same commercial appeal. In fact, sometimes I can't even listen to it because it sounds like they're trying TOO hard to sound all ugly and anti-mainstream. In retrospect, I can't see any good reason why they couldn't have enhanced their creativity without sacrificing their pop hooks except, of course, that Mike Patton made them do it.

From 1989? No, I try not to recall much about 80s pop. But there's End of the World by REM from 1987, does that count? And there's Spin me Round which despite (or possibly because of) sounding cheesy is still a friggen awesome song. It aged well, even though you can obviously tell what time period it was from. Anyway, I thought they had MORE hooks on Angel Dust and King for a Day than on the pieces I've heard from the Real Thing. Hell, Land of Sunshine and Midlife Crisis probably outhook that whole album on their own.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
02-02-2006, 05:36 PM
Here is a link to my favorite songs iMix (only works with iTunes) (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPublishedPlaylist?id=665108&s=143441)
and if you want to see my other iMixs just click on 'view other iMixes by this user' under the title.

Preocupado
02-03-2006, 08:57 AM
Right now... it would be the "So long so long and thanks... for all the fiiiish" song, from the Hitchhiker's Guide.

barangatang
02-03-2006, 09:19 AM
Here is a link to my favorite songs iMix (only works with iTunes) (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPublishedPlaylist?id=665108&s=143441)

I'd say it's okay IF you didn't have limp bizkit on there.

BREAK
02-03-2006, 04:13 PM
From 1989? No, I try not to recall much about 80s pop. But there's End of the World by REM from 1987, does that count? And there's Spin me Round which despite (or possibly because of) sounding cheesy is still a friggen awesome song. It aged well, even though you can obviously tell what time period it was from. Anyway, I thought they had MORE hooks on Angel Dust and King for a Day than on the pieces I've heard from the Real Thing. Hell, Land of Sunshine and Midlife Crisis probably outhook that whole album on their own.

OK, you may or may not have a point. Now that I think about it, there are probably also some hit songs by U2 and The Cure from around the same time period that still hold up. But Faith No More were going for an entirely-different aesthetic than any of the above bands. They were alternative, but they were also LEGITIMATELY metal. What's more, they were MAINSTREAM metal. If you can find me a band that fits into that same description, that were big, and that don't sound hilariously out-of-date now, call me back.

As for the hooks thing, I meant POP hooks. As good as those two songs are, they're definitely more likely to appeal to people looking for raw creativity than people who listen to music for stupid things like catchiness and accessibility. You can tell me "Oh, but see that's a GOOD thing. They drove away all the bandwagon-hopping fake fans blah blah blah..." but you can't give me a good reason why they couldn't have improved on their songwriting while still remaining accessible. It's just that the more I listen to it, the more Angel Dust just sounds like a pose. The sound of a band trying to be more hardcore and underground than they ever were in the first place. If you can find a hook in ugly, lumbering dirges like "Malpractice" or "Smaller and Smaller", I congratulate you.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
02-03-2006, 06:23 PM
I'd say it's okay IF you didn't have limp bizkit on there.

yeah... I have that on there because for some reason, when I listen to them, I feel powerful. Which is stupid, but I do.

barangatang
02-03-2006, 06:49 PM
yeah... I have that on there because for some reason, when I listen to them, I feel powerful. Which is stupid, but I do.
Hmmm. I understand. I'd give rage against the machine a try, I guarantee you'll love em 100 times more than limp. P.m. Bd007h if you want any ratm uploaded .

BREAK
02-05-2006, 08:56 PM
Bumped for nieh's benefit.

nieh
02-05-2006, 09:33 PM
OK, you may or may not have a point. Now that I think about it, there are probably also some hit songs by U2 and The Cure from around the same time period that still hold up. But Faith No More were going for an entirely-different aesthetic than any of the above bands. They were alternative, but they were also LEGITIMATELY metal. What's more, they were MAINSTREAM metal. If you can find me a band that fits into that same description, that were big, and that don't sound hilariously out-of-date now, call me back.

As for the hooks thing, I meant POP hooks. As good as those two songs are, they're definitely more likely to appeal to people looking for raw creativity than people who listen to music for stupid things like catchiness and accessibility. You can tell me "Oh, but see that's a GOOD thing. They drove away all the bandwagon-hopping fake fans blah blah blah..." but you can't give me a good reason why they couldn't have improved on their songwriting while still remaining accessible. It's just that the more I listen to it, the more Angel Dust just sounds like a pose. The sound of a band trying to be more hardcore and underground than they ever were in the first place. If you can find a hook in ugly, lumbering dirges like "Malpractice" or "Smaller and Smaller", I congratulate you.

Metallica (were they on the radio at the time)? Guns and Roses? The only thing that's particularly dated about GNR is the vocals. Anyway, it's the rap parts on Epic that bother me more than anything else. The more metally parts are alright. They couldn't keep that kind of pop sound going though because by the time their next album came out people didn't want that kind of music anymore. Also I'm pretty sure the band didn't want to play it anymore either considering the Real Thing is the only album with or without Patton (based on the bits I heard from their earlier stuff) with that much of a commercial sound to it. Not every track on Angel Dust is radio-ready but I think Midlife Crisis definitely could've been a hit, especially with all those layered vocals at the end. Plus there were a couple others that could've passed that I can't remember the names of off the top of my head.

calichix
02-05-2006, 10:51 PM
at the moment it's "If I Were A Carpenter" by Bobby Darin because it's so incredibly pretty and simple. It gets my emotional rocks off, really.

...and "Emerald Sword" by Rhapsody. *giggles* That song gets my rocks off emotionally, physically, metaphysically.....

BREAK
02-06-2006, 05:58 PM
Metallica (were they on the radio at the time)? Guns and Roses? The only thing that's particularly dated about GNR is the vocals. Anyway, it's the rap parts on Epic that bother me more than anything else. The more metally parts are alright. They couldn't keep that kind of pop sound going though because by the time their next album came out people didn't want that kind of music anymore. Also I'm pretty sure the band didn't want to play it anymore either considering the Real Thing is the only album with or without Patton (based on the bits I heard from their earlier stuff) with that much of a commercial sound to it. Not every track on Angel Dust is radio-ready but I think Midlife Crisis definitely could've been a hit, especially with all those layered vocals at the end. Plus there were a couple others that could've passed that I can't remember the names of off the top of my head.

GNR are about as dated as any other band from the 80's at this point. Even Metallica sounds quaint by today's heavy metal standards (though may I point out, they weren't quite in the mainstream until 1991). Yeah, the rapping is pretty whack, but still, it's less embarrassing then Korn, P.O.D., Linkin Park, or any of those other bands that try to combine two genres without knowing anything about either one.

I'm just kinda bummed that they chose to retreat underground when they could've had a chance to change the face of the mainstream. You're right though, to release an album like The Real Thing in the post-Nevermind world would've been career suicide. I'd like Angel Dust a lot better if it weren't so long; "A Small Victory" is pretty much the catchiest thing ever.

Alex101
05-08-2008, 01:12 PM
The Offspring - Self-Esteem because this was one of the first punk songs changed that ever changed my life when I first heard it.

Big Audio Dynamite II - Rush because it's just one of the classic tracks from the 90s, it even has a brilliant sample of The Who's "Baba O' Riley". The first time I've heard it was in Adam Sandler's Big Daddy, which I saw on cable a couple times in the early 2000s.

Bad Religion - 21st Century (Digital Boy) because the Stranger Than Fiction version is better and just an awesome Bad Religion track.

Flobots - Handlebars because this is one of my favorite songs from new bands today.

0r4ng3
05-08-2008, 01:38 PM
In my last post in this thread, I declared City is Burning by Pennywise as my favorite song. Oh how times have changed.

My actual favorite song is F.C.P.R.E.M.I.X., which was my favorite song ever even before Guitar Hero III when it became all popular.

calichix
05-08-2008, 05:19 PM
stand by your man by tammy wynette cause it's like GET IT GIRL

GBH2
05-08-2008, 09:07 PM
i can't give an answer with any definite conviction, but two songs you all MUST hear are-

Black Sun - The Cult

Flower in the Desert - The Cult

AMAZING

randman21
05-08-2008, 09:16 PM
My favorite song has been for ten years (and will likely be for the rest of time, due to my unflappability toward music for a long while now) "Iris" by the Goo Goo Dolls.

darea
05-09-2008, 04:28 AM
If it had to be just ONE, I'd say Genocide (by Offspring of course).

Cause of all the songs I've heard, I was about 10 when I listened to the Smash album, so still hadn't got yet to the age where I have favourite songs or become a fan of anything. But Genocide was my favourite song at the time, and it still is one of my favourite songs. I can remember how I used to annoy my mum listening to smash (and mostly genocide) in that early age, and it wouldnt have mattered so much if it hadnt been my wanting to listen to Genocide more and more and more. So I guess one song, thats the one.

It would take too long to try and think of more than one song, cause Id have to think of all the different bands and different styles of music.
SO there.

Marco
05-09-2008, 07:36 AM
BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY - QUEEN

Overdubbed vocals, classic rock/ballad with my favourite instrument (piano), amazing solo, opera, rock n roll, and the gong at the end...

Pretty mysterious lyrics and ,of course, the best voice ever to sing.

Not Ozymandias
05-10-2008, 11:21 AM
Goodbye Horses

Because I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me so hard.

Cock Joke
05-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Self-Esteem, The Kids Aren't Alright, One Fine Day, The Noose, Can't Repeat, Hammerhead, and Half-Truism.