PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything on déjà vu ???

kamikaze
01-30-2006, 10:52 AM
I'm doing a research paper on it & I need some ideas. Thanks. :)

(The mind déjà vu, not that program or whatever.)

0r4ng3
01-30-2006, 10:53 AM
I have the strangest feeling this exact thread has been done before...

Tizzalicious
01-30-2006, 10:53 AM
I don't KNOW anything, but what I think is...when you have one, it's something you have dreamt before. Like...a future telling dream that you didn't remember.

At least...that's what I used to think. Now it just sounds weird to me. I guess your eyes are seeing it arrives in your brain or something?

T-6005
01-30-2006, 10:54 AM
Aside from the fact that it seems it happens to me occasionally, I can't really help you.

0r4ng3
01-30-2006, 10:56 AM
Oh, right, a serious answer.

I get deja vu all the time. I think it's something dreamt far in the past, and you actually experience it in the future, thinking the dream was a distant memory that had actually occured. It's like seeing the future. Heck, it is seeing the future.

Mannen som blev en gris
01-30-2006, 10:59 AM
Someone said it's because you fall asleep for a split-second or something, and then feel like you've been there/heard that/seen that before.

0r4ng3 and Tizz: I doubt that's true, since it's always the EXACT same thing that you think has happened before.

Tizzalicious
01-30-2006, 11:00 AM
Oh, right, a serious answer.

I get deja vu all the time. I think it's something dreamt far in the past, and you actually experience it in the future, thinking the dream was a distant memory that had actually occured. It's like seeing the future. Heck, it is seeing the future.

Now THAT has been said before :p

wheelchairman
01-30-2006, 11:02 AM
for a while everything I did seemed like constant deja vu. Now that's settled down.

Tizzalicious
01-30-2006, 11:03 AM
Someone said it's because you fall asleep for a split-second or something, and then feel like you've been there/heard that/seen that before.

0r4ng3 and Tizz: I doubt that's true, since it's always the EXACT same thing that you think has happened before.

Of course it's the exact same thing, if you are gonna see what happens in the future, it won't be slightly different. Future is future, it won't suddenly change.

I used to get them all the time too. Now just every now and then.

wheelchairman
01-30-2006, 11:05 AM
Of course it's the exact same thing, if you are gonna see what happens in the future, it won't be slightly different. Future is future, it won't suddenly change.

I used to get them all the time too. Now just every now and then.
You do know it's impossible to see into the future right? :( stupid tizzie :(:(:(

Tizzalicious
01-30-2006, 11:06 AM
You do know it's impossible to see into the future right? :( stupid tizzie :(:(

Pfff, that's why I said I used to think that, but that it now just seems weird to me. Why don't you ever pay attention to what I say? :(

wheelchairman
01-30-2006, 11:07 AM
Pfff, that's why I said I used to think that, but that it now just seems weird to me. Why don't you ever pay attention to what I say? :(
Because you're boring. Boringtje.

Tizzalicious
01-30-2006, 11:08 AM
Because you're boring. Boringtje.

Blablabla.

nieh
01-30-2006, 11:15 AM

That's not impossible. Everybody has dreams just about every night, even if you don't remember it happening by the time you wake up. That's a LOT of dreams in your lifetime. If you know people well enough you can dream a very practical situation up and when it actually ends up happening every now and then (or when something incredibly similar happens) it can make the memory come back. I don't know myself what it is, but I can't rule something like that out.

Mannen som blev en gris
01-30-2006, 11:17 AM
I still don't think that's true. I mean, I had a deja vu last night while reading a post here, and it was just a random post, so I doubt I've dreamt about that before.

0r4ng3
01-30-2006, 11:21 AM
I still don't think that's true. I mean, I had a deja vu last night while reading a post here, and it was just a random post, so I doubt I've dreamt about that before.
Exactly. You don't remember the dream you had until the very moment you experience it. That's why it's called seeing the future.

nieh
01-30-2006, 11:22 AM
Exactly. You don't remember the dream you had until the very moment you experience it. That's why it's called seeing the future.
I wouldn't call it "seeing the future". Your mind craps out a shitload of possible scenarios every night while you're dreaming. A few of them are bound to be right every now and then but the vast majority never come up, so you never remember them.

Mannen som blev en gris
01-30-2006, 11:25 AM
This is obviously too complicated for me.
Okay... What does wiki have to say about it? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deja_vu Aw, crap. Someone read it and tell me what it says (if it's anything interesting)

killer_queen
01-30-2006, 11:29 AM
Weird, I really had that feeling while looking a thread today. Although I never have a deja vu normally.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
01-30-2006, 12:00 PM

you know maybe it was deja vu and just saw this thread coming

Anya82
01-30-2006, 12:29 PM
well, a friend of mine told me once that you get a deja vu when your brain processes (is that correct?) the information faster than your senses get it and send it to the brain. or something like that.

nieh
01-30-2006, 12:30 PM
well, a friend of mine told me once that you get a deja vu when your brain processes (is that correct?) the information faster than your senses get it and send it to the brain. or something like that.

That's pretty much what wikipedia says. Basically your brain is working super-fast and you end up "remembering" something that just happened moments ago.

The Talking Pie
01-30-2006, 01:17 PM
Or, more specifically, it gets stored in memory before it gets processed by your brain. So you can access it as a memory by the time you come to make anything of what your senses have presented you with. Which also explains why it's such a crystal clear and uncanny memory that you've clearly never experienced before.

coke_a_holic
01-30-2006, 01:30 PM
Perhaps all of our lives are alligned by destiny and whatever alligned said lives is giving us foresight to the future to basically show us what's going on? Not logical, but possible. We were talking about this today in Philosophy, and that's my basic opinion on it based off of my deja vu with some of the things that you wouldn't just guess. i.e: I knew what one of my teachers looked like before ever seeing them, I also knew ones that I would be running around a field with a red thing over my eyes in like the 4th grade, it ended up being a flat ball I used as a hat during reccess. It just seems kind of weird that my mind would make up things that aren't based off of past experiences.

Sinister
01-30-2006, 02:04 PM
sometimes I have dreams that happen in real life, within two weeks from the dream, and exactly like the dream was. I think that's some kind of déja vu.

the_GoDdEsS
01-30-2006, 02:31 PM
That's pretty much what wikipedia says. Basically your brain is working super-fast and you end up "remembering" something that just happened moments ago.

That's creepy. I either get the feeling it's some dream I had, which it sometimes is but it's just a very small moment or feeling of it. Or something very similar I've experienced before and then I try to think back to remember.

sKratch
01-30-2006, 02:34 PM
That's pretty much what I knew. The stored-as-memory-before-you-process bit is interesting and makes sense, Pie.

JohnnyNemesis
01-30-2006, 02:37 PM
http://www.tv.com/deja-vu/episode/222024/summary.html

There's all I think about when I hear that term. Especially the scene where Orson is shelving his books, and he puts "Deja Vu: The Sensation That You Are Doing Something You've Done Before" on his shelf about 10 times in a row.

TV killed my brain and made me stupid :(

0r4ng3
01-30-2006, 04:02 PM
you know maybe it was deja vu and just saw this thread coming
Thank you, that was the joke.

WebDudette
01-30-2006, 04:06 PM
I had a theory about Deja vu. Is it possible that eveyrthing has happened before and the same process continues over and over again and deja vu is just are subconscious re-calling something that happened billions of years ago.

But I'am probably just crazy.

punker
01-30-2006, 04:55 PM
I once read that it was a chemical malfunction in your brain, that makes you believe that the event has already happened

Preocupado
01-30-2006, 05:03 PM
The déjà vu isn't necessarialy related to past dreams, but it can also be related to any other memories you got, even if you were conscious at the time. Experiencing it is a pretty good way to feel what it is like to have a psychotic structure. They also vary in intensity, and some can be so overwhelming that they can literally force you to stop whatever you're doing and fall in intense displease. Drugs can increase your chances of experiencing it, and they can be the manifestation of strong subjective changes (for bad, for good, or for whatever).

My thinks the déjà vu is an invasion of unconscious content to the conscious. I would never recommend stimulating it by trying to merge into the experience, especially if you've been having it constantly and it causes you suffering.

EDIT: Freud says the déjà vu is a psychotic symptom.

kamikaze
01-30-2006, 05:35 PM
What I believe about déjà vu is that it isn't anything that anyone's experienced in the past. Recalling a dream that one had to have had means that anyone who has ever experienced it has some varying degree of psychic ability, whether they know it or not. I do believe that there are very few people who do have a true psychic ability - but most people, especially people who advertise it, don't. One theory I've heard about it is the one I'd agree most with: your eyes process an event at different speeds. Sometimes one eye processes it so quickly that by the time the other eye catches up, it feels like a "memory" when really it's just your eyes playing games. Studies of that theory show that it tends to happen more often when people are very well rested rather than very tired. But of course, no one really knows. But it was interesting to see how everyone feels about it!

coke_a_holic
01-30-2006, 06:19 PM
I had a theory about Deja vu. Is it possible that eveyrthing has happened before and the same process continues over and over again and deja vu is just are subconscious re-calling something that happened billions of years ago.

But I'am probably just crazy.
That's actually the basic idea behind my post, I know exactly where you are coming from. In the 6th grade I wrote a book for Social Studies about going so far back in time you end up in the future. I got an A on it for creativity.

Nina
01-31-2006, 11:07 AM
I once heard that a deja vu happens when you are in a situation that is in one tiny aspect similar to a situation that you had in the past. You associate that with your memories and have that weird feeling that you once experienced this before. However, what Pie + Anya said sound more logical to me now.

Yatesy
01-31-2006, 12:49 PM
One word for you, coincedence.

F@ BANKZ
03-01-2006, 09:47 AM
It doesn't exist

Paint_It_Black
03-01-2006, 09:51 AM
It doesn't exist

It clearly exists. People experience it all the time. Although it might be as simple as Talking Pie explained.

F@ BANKZ
03-01-2006, 10:03 AM
It doesn't exist, hang on where have i........ oh crap

JoY
03-01-2006, 10:04 AM
seeing how much this F@ BANKZ suddenly posts & seeing he only posts one-liners &/or stupid shit, I suspect he's a troll. an Enlish troll, is all I know so far.

Paint_It_Black
03-01-2006, 10:05 AM
seeing how much this F@ BANKZ suddenly posts & seeing he only posts one-liners &/or stupid shit, I suspect he's a troll. an Enlish troll, is all I know so far.

I suspect you're right. The real oddity is that his typing is too good for the level of stupidity.

JoY
03-01-2006, 10:06 AM
second username?

F@ BANKZ
03-01-2006, 10:07 AM
wtf, what's a troll.

F@ BANKZ
03-01-2006, 10:08 AM
besides look @ the +/_ thing i have sent alot more that a 1 liner there for straters

Tizzalicious
03-01-2006, 10:10 AM
besides look @ the +/_ thing i have sent alot more that a 1 liner there for straters

Yess, he's doing the English typing!

F@ BANKZ
03-01-2006, 10:12 AM
what are you lot on about, don't Americans speek English too?

Tizzalicious
03-01-2006, 10:15 AM
They do speak English, yes.

Paint_It_Black
03-01-2006, 10:16 AM
what are you lot on about, don't Americans speek English too?

They're noticing a regional style in your typing. Consider it a written form of accent. It primarily involves vocabulary usage and grammar.

Tizzalicious
03-01-2006, 10:17 AM
It primarily involves vocabulary usage and grammar.

Or lack thereof.

Paint_It_Black
03-01-2006, 10:19 AM
Noobs on this forum must have such an unpleasant surprise upon initially meeting us.

F@ BANKZ
03-01-2006, 10:20 AM
You guys are weirding me out, first you call me a troll then you call me English then you start correcting my spelling, i send lots of stuff at once because i don't come on very frequently, i don't have another account, why would i? Moreover there are three of you! What chance do i have?

F@ BANKZ
03-01-2006, 10:22 AM
and i don't only send 1 liners, i have started afew threads and given contibutions to others, ,mainly on the General discussion area, i send small messages here to pass the time until something of slight value comes up on those.

JoY
03-01-2006, 10:25 AM
every post of you that I've seen, & I've been doing a check on you, was fucking worthless. they mainly contain one sentence consisting out of 5-10 words. & you just are English. would you deny your own nationality, Judas?

Paint_It_Black
03-01-2006, 10:27 AM
Moreover there are three of you! What chance do i have?

Sorry if you feel picked on. I wasn't attempting to insult you.

F@ BANKZ
03-01-2006, 10:27 AM
no i'd just rather not give it out to a load of wierdo's with nothing better to do than piss me off.

F@ BANKZ
03-01-2006, 10:33 AM
most of my posts have been longer than that, the thing is i just would rather listen to the music than discuss it or other random useless crap most of the time. AND WHAT'S A TROLL!!!

Titus
03-01-2006, 11:33 AM
You know when you were walking in some place, you look to the floor and think>" Wow, thats already happened before!"
That is a deja vu.

Déjà vu is something we think that already happened before in ours lives. But its new. When that happens to you, you feel weird and not confused.

Somes says deja vu is some lost memory, or memory from another life. Thats I don´t know lol.

If you guys speak portuguese... :D

kamikaze
03-01-2006, 12:39 PM
Thanks, but I've already done the paper I needed the information on. I got an A. :) Ha.

0r4ng3
03-01-2006, 12:40 PM

F@ BANKZ
03-01-2006, 02:07 PM
it's the same one

H1T_That
03-01-2006, 02:42 PM
i think he was being sarcastic.

im sure thats happened before. :confused:

0r4ng3
03-01-2006, 02:43 PM
I didn't want to ruin the joke, but look at the second post of the thread.

H1T_That
03-01-2006, 02:46 PM
I didn't want to ruin the joke, but look at the second post of the thread.

were u saying that to me there or the other dude?

0r4ng3
03-01-2006, 02:46 PM
I'm just saying it in general.

H1T_That
03-01-2006, 02:47 PM
I'm just saying it in general.

ahh ok then.

no worries.

F@ BANKZ
03-02-2006, 11:03 AM
no serious, i sent a new post when this was on the back page because i'm quite interested in the subject, check out the time difference between mine and the post b4.

coke_a_holic
03-02-2006, 01:18 PM
Dear F@ BANKS,
I'm having trouble reading your posts due to their blandness and complete lack of any writing skill. Please make them somewhat more interesting so it doesn't feel like work when I try and read whatever psychobabble you're producing.

Vera
03-03-2006, 05:20 AM
I think nieh got it right - in a way, it's a processing error of the brain.

I get them all the time. The oddest thing was when I got one in Amsterdam. It was one of the times I recognized that it couldn't have possibly happened before because I'd never met these people or been to Amsterdam or even imagined Bella's apartment to be as it was.