PDA

View Full Version : Dentist, blood, help?

Tijs
02-01-2006, 06:52 AM
Ok, so this morning I went to the dentist to get 2 of my teeth removed to make room for my wisdom teeth. How long is it supposed to be bleeding? I had the appointment at 10.50am this morning and it's 14.50.

I got a note with some tips aswell but it doesn't say anything about the bleeding, except not to swallow it so I have to spit it out every few minutes. I almost have a full (rather large) glass full of spit and blood and I've spitted a lot out in the shower aswell.

I know it sounds kinda gross but it kinda annoys me, so tell me your experience with this. Thank you.

Tizzalicious
02-01-2006, 06:56 AM
Oh wow, that sucks.

I have no idea though, I never had a tooth pulled or anything. I DO however come back from the dentist covered in blood. He always goes: "Your teeth are so perfect!" but still feels the need to completely fuck up my gums with that creepy hook of his.

Tijs
02-01-2006, 06:58 AM
I never bleed that much. And I'll have to go again next week to get some holes fixed. (Holes right?)

Tizzalicious
02-01-2006, 06:59 AM
Cavities I think? Or maybe holes works too. I have no idea. But that's crap =/ Good luck!

Little_Miss_1565
02-01-2006, 07:13 AM
Dude....ew. Why in fuck's name would your dentist remove perfectly healthy teeth to make room for wisdom teeth? Mine went in and removed the wisdom teeth and left my others alone!

Tijs
02-01-2006, 07:18 AM
Dude....ew. Why in fuck's name would your dentist remove perfectly healthy teeth to make room for wisdom teeth? Mine went in and removed the wisdom teeth and left my others alone!
Because they weren't perfectly healthy. So it was either fix those two and remove my wisdom teeth or remove the not-so-good-ones and let the wisdom teeth stay.

nieh
02-01-2006, 07:19 AM
It's never going to stop bleeding. You're going to have to survive by getting blood transfusions once a week like my grandma to keep you from bleeding to death.

Really though, I have no idea. I'd imagine if it's still bleeding by the time you go to bed then it'll be done by the time you wake up. Just be careful not to reopen the wounds or you'll have to deal with it again.

Tijs
02-01-2006, 07:24 AM
Yeah but... I'd like to eat today. I haven't ate anything since 2pm yesterday, so I'm getting a bit hungry. Bread + blood = No thanks.

Rag Doll
02-01-2006, 07:30 AM
are you keeping pressure on it? like, pushing gauze down over the areas that are bleeding? that's what my mom had to do.

Jebus
02-01-2006, 07:31 AM
If you suck inside your mouth(with your mouth closed) to get all the blood into a neat little spit wad when spitting, then that may be the problem. I think that reopens the wounds.

Tijs
02-01-2006, 07:34 AM
I'm not sucking on it or anything just leaving it alone.

are you keeping pressure on it? like, pushing gauze down over the areas that are bleeding? that's what my mom had to do.
Did that and had to remove it after 20 minutes according to the note I got. The note also says that if it starts bleeding again later today I'll have to do it again for 20 minutes, so I might give that a try later on.

Sin Studly
02-01-2006, 08:28 AM
You can swallow a fair amount of blood before it starts to fuck with your electrolytes. Ignore the doctor and just swallow it. If you start to get dizzy and hear a ringing in your ears, and get really really thirsty, start spitting again for a while.

JoY
02-01-2006, 08:32 AM
ice should help a little.

Little_Miss_1565
02-01-2006, 08:33 AM

Agreed. Try putting an ice back at the back of your neck.

And don't spit! That'll just make it worse! Keep chomping on gauze, don't stuff it in the sockets where the teeth were, and ice down your neck and you should be okay. Feel better!

Mannen som blev en gris
02-01-2006, 09:00 AM
I had four teeth pulled last year (only two at a time though) and I remember that it was actually bleeding for quite a long time. No one ever told me not to spit though, just to keep those white things in for a while (a lot longer than 20 minutes, more like a couple of hours). Eventually it did stop, though, so don't worry too much.

Tijs
02-01-2006, 09:38 AM
Ah, that's a relief. On another board someone told me I might needed to get stitches.. ew.

I think it's bleeding less now though.

Lars
02-01-2006, 11:25 AM
I've had enough removed and don't really recall them bleeding too much. I believe I had some kind of degradable guaze put in to the holes and then other guaze over that. No problems like that, but also I didn't have back teeth like that removed, mostly only the first set as they didn't fall out. As others said, just keep it in until it stops bleeding.

Tijs
02-01-2006, 01:22 PM
I checked out a dentist site, and I found out that it's not a bad thing. With some people it just heals slower.

I think it stopped bleeding now though, but I still taste some blood so.. I don't know. Atleast I got to eat something.

the_GoDdEsS
02-01-2006, 01:28 PM
It's never going to stop bleeding. You're going to have to survive by getting blood transfusions once a week like my grandma to keep you from bleeding to death.

You're horrific. You shouldn't be around children.

nieh
02-01-2006, 01:43 PM
You're horrific. You shouldn't be around children.

I'm not around children...often.

Original prankstA
02-01-2006, 02:02 PM
ice helps swelling

Tijs
02-01-2006, 02:18 PM
I didn't use any ice.. I'm scared it's gonna hurt even more.
Now I'm gonna have to brush my teeth I hope I don't accidently brush the wounds open again. And I hope it's not gonna hurt too much later on tomorrow, I'm planning to see MxPx. But so far it hasn't been painful yet.

T-6005
02-01-2006, 02:30 PM
Careful while brushing your teeth, but I reckon you should be fine.

Not that I'm a dentist, so who knows?

darko
02-01-2006, 02:33 PM
Try gargling salt water before you brush your teeth, it will help clean the wound. Thats what the dentist told my flatmate when she had a tooth removed about a week ago

Tijs
02-01-2006, 02:42 PM
Yeah I read about the salt thing. But I think I'll be fine.

Thanks for all the information everyone!

nieh
02-01-2006, 02:46 PM
Try gargling salt water before you brush your teeth, it will help clean the wound. Thats what the dentist told my flatmate when she had a tooth removed about a week ago

You should do the same thing if you have pink eye. Make a bit of salt water and rinse your eye out with it.

the_GoDdEsS
02-01-2006, 03:00 PM
Josh! Next time I have a problem, I'll ask you for advice.

nieh
02-01-2006, 03:19 PM
Josh! Next time I have a problem, I'll ask you for advice.

Just do the exact opposite of everything I tell you.

sKratch
02-01-2006, 03:21 PM
As has been said, put some gauze in your mouth to absorb the blood. That's what I had to do. I had stitches that dissolved after a time :s

JoY
02-01-2006, 05:02 PM
ice helps swelling
why? because veins shrink from low temperatures. that's why your nose & fingers die in extemely low temperatures. veins preserve bodyheat for the body itself. conclusion; ice helps against swelling & bleeding.

drunklolz.

Tizzalicious
02-02-2006, 12:26 AM
If it still hurts, do the ice thing! It really makes it less painful, not worse!

JoY
02-02-2006, 12:40 AM
true. ice often numbens pain, rather than make it worse.

Andy
02-02-2006, 02:17 AM
Just make sure the ice isn't very cold. You don't want to have an event involving sticky ice. Not again.

JoY
02-02-2006, 02:27 AM
ice-cubes, or just ice-cream would do. don't stick your tongue to a freezing iron pole, that might get you into trouble.

Tijs
02-02-2006, 05:29 AM
It's alright now, it doesn't even hurt or anything (except sometimes when I swallow something). It's not fun to eat anything anymore...