PDA

View Full Version : To the band members, from the fans...

Ceejio21
02-02-2006, 02:51 PM
Prior to a couple of days ago, I would never have even considered opening up a thread like this (and I know it's still a risk so I'm fully be prepared to be brought down for it) but after receiving the direct input on the website that Dexter gave to us the other day I thought it may be an idea for some of us to try and communicate with the band via this thread.

The fact that Dexter and Noodles took time out to acknowledge the views that we, the fans had, was a really good gesture and speaking for myself (and I imagine a few others) it really made our day.

So given the fact that the guys really do take notice of what we say I was kinda hoping perhaps they would maybe consider some of the things that we would really appreciate them knowing.

Firstly, we're all kind of wondering what kind of sound the band will be aiming for on the new record? As true fans we're obviously going to love everything that you produce, but we really love the original definitive Offspring sound, the sound that we all fell in love with, the sound from the first 4 albums. It was really good that the bands original style and roots were still portrayed through songs like "The Noose, Lightning Rod and Never Gonna Find Me" on Splinter. Can we expect the same from the new record? So many people would love for the Ignition era to be reproduced and for there to be more Dirty Magic type of songs. I just thought if we expressed our views then maybe they will be considered during the songwriting process?

Anyway, the band will always have my full support in everything they do. Keep up the good work.

Ceej

icklebabygremlin
02-02-2006, 02:53 PM
Cool..and also Dexter Noodles or whoever if you do listen to this thred if you will play lightining rod live!!

Everyone whould love it

SO PLEASE DO!!!

Laters..

Nineteen Seventy Nine
02-02-2006, 02:54 PM
I think it is a great idea, Ceejio21, and you came up with some good questions. What I would like to know is, even though you mentioned Atom still being in the band on the website, was their something going on with the role of the drummer?

Edit: oh, and Noodles, what would you like for your birthday?

Camilamazed
02-02-2006, 03:24 PM
Firstly, we're all kind of wondering what kind of sound the band will be aiming for on the new record? As true fans we're obviously going to love everything that you produce, but we really love the original definitive Offspring sound, the sound that we all fell in love with, the sound from the first 4 albums. It was really good that the bands original style and roots were still portrayed through songs like "The Noose, Lightning Rod and Never Gonna Find Me" on Splinter. Can we expect the same from the new record? So many people would love for the Ignition era to be reproduced and for there to be more Dirty Magic type of songs. I just thought if we expressed our views then maybe they will be considered during the songwriting process?

Don't you think it's too much for a week??

I mean, We've already had news. Knowing about the new album is too much... I think I'm the only one who thinks like that. The fact is that I like surprises hehehe....

ashtray_girl_1
02-02-2006, 04:35 PM
i don't think we should try to communicate with them on the forum, they might stop loging in if they see we're getting annoying.you know how noodles always logs off when we start asking questions and making threads like "noodles, come here!". maybe we should just be happy with what we've got. it's awsome that dexter even mentioned us and the NEW(!!!!) record but we needn't get TOO excited about it.

Venom Symbiote
02-02-2006, 05:01 PM
:rolleyes:

Theoretically this is a good idea, but it'll be hijacked by the usual (mainly illiterate) idiots and degrade pretty quickly into a "lol I lyk LUV pw3ttY fLy, maKE AnuTHeR on3 pl33Z!" fest.

In any case, I'm thinking they've had their little board-reading stint for this month or two. Don't expect them back. I'm not saying that out of thinking they're "bastards ignoring the fans" or whatever, quite the opposite. They're busy guys with better stuff to do, basically. And I think, from all of your reactions, they seem to have tided us over for the minute with the two journals until there's finally some news to report.

So everyone just chill, ok? Give them some space to breathe, without the whole assault-of-questions schtick. :) They'll be back...eventually. But I doubt they're still checking in on the boards this week - Noodles maybe (he's always around :D ), but with Dexter I wouldn't get your hopes up.

They've done their publicity for a while, so chill, huh?

nameless
02-02-2006, 05:34 PM
Cool..and also Dexter Noodles or whoever if you do listen to this thred if you will play lightining rod live!!

Everyone whould love it

SO PLEASE DO!!!

Laters..

yeah, and forever and a day!

Camilamazed
02-02-2006, 05:45 PM

Theoretically this is a good idea, but it'll be hijacked by the usual (mainly illiterate) idiots and degrade pretty quickly into a "lol I lyk LUV pw3ttY fLy, maKE AnuTHeR on3 pl33Z!" fest.

In any case, I'm thinking they've had their little board-reading stint for this month or two. Don't expect them back. I'm not saying that out of thinking they're "bastards ignoring the fans" or whatever, quite the opposite. They're busy guys with better stuff to do, basically. And I think, from all of your reactions, they seem to have tided us over for the minute with the two journals until there's finally some news to report.

So everyone just chill, ok? Give them some space to breathe, without the whole assault-of-questions schtick. :) They'll be back...eventually. But I doubt they're still checking in on the boards this week - Noodles maybe (he's always around :D ), but with Dexter I wouldn't get your hopes up.

They've done their publicity for a while, so chill, huh?

Venom, seriouly *FUCK YOU*

For fuck's sake, stop being so ridiculous.You don't know a bit about what really happened to the boards. YOU WERE NOT HERE WHEN A CERTAIN THREAD WAS STARTED. It has already been deleted.

SO SHUT THE FUCK UP........ AND TRY TO FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENED.....

Venom Symbiote
02-02-2006, 06:13 PM
Well, your argument there is so mature and eloquently-worded I might have to just agree with everything you're saying and not say anything further on the matter.

Yay, I can curse too. "jUzt lYk iN t3h B@d h@BBitZ!".

But why all the aggression? I'm just trying to get everyone to accept the fact that, while these journal entries were cool, it's not going to last.

No "Fuck you"s needed.

P.S. Again, for the record, I was here both days the journals were posted, reading the boards. I only sign in when I have something WORTHWHILE to add to the discussion, for example now. Not to proclaim in about 6 different posts how I'm crying of happiness because Noodles just wrote 200 words about his most recent tour. ;)

Camilamazed
02-02-2006, 06:26 PM
I'm sorry for the agression. I just can't stand people trying to spoil other people's hapiness. I admit that I've been acting like a child but what's the problem?

Does it really affect you people expressing their feelings towards the band?

What If I wrote all those worthless-silly-crying-of-happiness posts?

I like them and I don't feel any shame. I don't care about what people think or say about me. You're the first one here that really pissed me of.

I'm pissed because you say these things without knowing what went on.

Sorry again........

PS: I didn't cry because Noodles' journal. I cried because now I know everything is fine after some things that happened.

Drummerguy123
02-02-2006, 06:28 PM
I think this is the first time I've ever seen you not extremely happy. wow. It's weird.

Venom Symbiote
02-02-2006, 06:35 PM
*sigh*

Camila, if you keep insisting that I "wasn't here so don't know what went on", I'm going to have to keep ridiculing you. :)

For about the fourth time: just because I wasn't logged in and actively participating in the discussion, doesn't mean I wasn't reading it.

I was "here", just as much as you were. ;)

Camilamazed
02-02-2006, 06:40 PM
*sigh*

Camila, if you keep insisting that I "wasn't here so don't know what went on", I'm going to have to keep ridiculing you. :)

For about the fourth time: just because I wasn't logged in and actively participating in the discussion, doesn't mean I wasn't reading it.

I was "here", just as much as you were. ;)

Do you know about the thread which was deleted?

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
02-02-2006, 07:56 PM
Camil... sorry about this and try not to yell at me too much, but as much as i (and everybody else) loved Dexters journal, and Ceej made a really, really good point, he's 100% right, but Venom is right too, we really need to chill out, i don't mean to be offencive to you in general here, so please don't take it to heart, but they're on a break with their familys and stuff and all we do is sit back and nag nag nag about how they don't post enough, and fair enough, at least one of you are going to say to me,

"Yes! But it's not that hard to jump on a laptop!"

Yes... but if you were in their position after doing a tour of the U.K and Japan, and the Warped Tour, ect, would you rather come home and sit on a computer? or be enjoying what time you have before going on another world-wide tour?

Alright, i'll stop there, please forgive me if i did offend you, i was just stating my point.

-SplinterByMyOwnDesign

Ceejio21
02-02-2006, 10:37 PM
Ahh crap, I wish I'd never opened this thread now. I didn't want an arguement to take place. Close please Tijs, Little Miss...

Camilamazed
02-02-2006, 11:00 PM
Splinterbymyowndesign,

1) You weren't here when a certain thread was started.
2) You weren't involved as well as I was with a ridiculous gossip.
3) I AM sure that if a band member reads or even answers one of your posts you would feel happy as well.
4) I am very happy, yeah, but not exactly because of the journal itself. I'm happy because after some stupid thing a person did, everything is fine.

No, people here will never understand anything If I do not open my mouth and say everything.

CamilAAAA

Llamas
02-02-2006, 11:05 PM
Away from this argument, I'm commenting in regards to the initial post in here. I don't think it'd be good if the guys did another album along the lines of Ignition. They are not the same men they were 14 years ago, and they've matured a ton. You can tell by looking at them, hearing them live, reading or hearing interviews with them, and comparing their lyrics. I think it would sound forced and wrong if they tried to pull out a sound from that long ago. Splinter was a nice throw back to the old styles, but I don't think they could safely resurface that without ripping themselves off. I think an Ixnay album would be more realistic, and I'd be just as happy with that. But I think that when they write, they write what's in their hearts and their souls and minds, not what they're asked to do, you know? When I write songs, I can't force any types of sounds or any style... it's just organic and it comes from my heart. I guess I don't know how to explain myself...

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
02-03-2006, 12:14 AM
Splinterbymyowndesign,

1) You weren't here when a certain thread was started.
2) You weren't involved as well as I was with a ridiculous gossip.
3) I AM sure that if a band member reads or even answers one of your posts you would feel happy as well.
4) I am very happy, yeah, but not exactly because of the journal itself. I'm happy because after some stupid thing a person did, everything is fine.

No, people here will never understand anything If I do not open my mouth and say everything.

CamilAAAA

Alright then, like i said, it wasn't direct strictly at you, but i'll say sorry, sorry camilAAAA, "i guess i'll never know what's really going on inside you, i can't get my head around you"

Hypodermic_89
02-03-2006, 01:41 AM
Why do I have this weird feeling that the new record will be a mix between Ixnay and Ignition..? :confused: That would be cool :D

darko
02-03-2006, 04:44 AM
For fuck sakes Camilamazed, HOW the fuck do you know if people where here when a certain thread was made? How the fuck do you know if they read it or not? You do know people read threads and don't reply dont you!?!

So stop been so self righteous and grow the fuck up!

Gayman
02-03-2006, 05:39 AM
Yeah! Take That!!! I guess....

Venom Symbiote
02-03-2006, 05:41 AM
While I kinda agree with Darko on the issue, lets just get off the argument for good now, huh? Not much will come of it.

Happy happy joy joy, and all that jazz. :D Come on people, spread the looney light-heartedness throughout the Offspring fan masses.

And ILoveLlamas? I think he was referring to more of an "updated" Ignition-style album. Splinter had a few songs like that. More cleanly produced, and more mature in a songwriting style (structure and all), but with that same classic sound.

I'd be fine with an album in the newer style, as long as it's more "serious song" focused. I really don't think there's a need for released "Hit That"s or "Spare Me The Details"s as singles anymore. I'd bet my bottom dollar Splinter would have been just as successful, perhaps more, if some of the less gimmicky songs were chosen for singles.

I really believe the public wants another "Come Out And Play" or "Defy You". Commercially accessible yet not too experimental or bubblegum rock-ish.

the_GoDdEsS
02-03-2006, 05:48 AM
You people don't realise how ridiculous you seem.

Gayman
02-03-2006, 05:51 AM
You people don't realise how ridiculous you seem.
Oh let me!!! I know!!
krohom...

VERY!!!

Rutegard
02-03-2006, 06:24 AM
i would like to listen, in this new album, something like can't get my head or all i want and you know...well anyway i don't really care, i just want to hear again to new offspring songs ya know? the emotion of hearing them for the very first time and that energy that consumes you till the bones, that offspring power inside your body! well i miss that!
cya

H1T_That
02-03-2006, 07:43 AM
i actually wasnt here when a 'certain thread was deleted', can someone please fill me in on what this thread was about?

thanks.

Camilamazed
02-03-2006, 08:44 AM
For fuck sakes Camilamazed, HOW the fuck do you know if people where here when a certain thread was made? How the fuck do you know if they read it or not? You do know people read threads and don't reply dont you!?!

So stop been so self righteous and grow the fuck up!

If people read the thread I'm talking about, every one would know why I'm happy and why everyone is so excited about the news.

*You do know people read threads and don't reply dont you!?!*

Of course I do, I was told that some people only reply when they have something interesting to say (Different from me, who have the most worthless posts, right?). The point is that everyone who is making me fool for being cheerful are the ones who (I believe) probably don't know why all this.

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
02-03-2006, 09:36 AM
If people read the thread I'm talking about, every one would know why I'm happy and why everyone is so excited about the news.

Ok, this is pissing me off, either

1) Paste the god damn thread again

or

2) Stop using that as a excuse to everything we say, it's really annoying

p.s (i'd say it, but darko already did)

edit: Oh, and if that thread was so damn important, you'd have saved it!

Camilamazed
02-03-2006, 09:55 AM
Ok, this is pissing me off, either

1) Paste the god damn thread again

or

2) Stop using that as a excuse to everything we say, it's really annoying

p.s (i'd say it, but darko already did)

edit: Oh, and if that thread was so damn important, you'd have saved it!

I can't paste the thread because it was deleted. The starter asked Little miss to do it. If you all want to know you can ask her what was the thread about (One-guy was the starter).

I don't want to talk about it anymore. I've had enough of it.

Little_Miss_1565
02-03-2006, 10:11 AM
Oh my freaking god, everyone chill out. PLEASE. Camila, Venom, Splinter, everyone.

Rufus
02-03-2006, 01:29 PM
I'd be fine with an album in the newer style, as long as it's more "serious song" focused. I really don't think there's a need for released "Hit That"s or "Spare Me The Details"s as singles anymore. I'd bet my bottom dollar Splinter would have been just as successful, perhaps more, if some of the less gimmicky songs were chosen for singles.

I know quite a few people who only bought Splinter for Hit That or Spare Me The Details, I think they are the worst songs on the album and the people who bought Splinter for Hit That or Spare Me The Details havn't heard of any of The Offspring's music before Americana

Venom Symbiote
02-03-2006, 09:21 PM
QUOTE:
"Oh my freaking god, everyone chill out. PLEASE. Camila, Venom, Splinter, everyone."

Uh...I am. I'm chilled. When wasn't I? :confused:

I didn't post in that last bout of yelling at each other on the last page.

*raises eyebrow*

neocon58
02-03-2006, 09:25 PM
Good to see you back in buisiness, Venom.

Llamas
02-03-2006, 09:51 PM
I know quite a few people who only bought Splinter for Hit That or Spare Me The Details, I think they are the worst songs on the album and the people who bought Splinter for Hit That or Spare Me The Details havn't heard of any of The Offspring's music before Americana

agreed. I will always love the offspring, but it makes me really sad how money-driven they've become :-/ When they started, it was out of spite that they couldn't get into the Social D show. Not knowing how to play instruments or write music, that's the punk spirit. Now every album has to have gimmicky radio-ready hits in the making for the radio... and they were disappointed because "splinter" did make enough sales. Come on, that might matter if they didn't have two albums hit #1... they're rich, they don't need more money. I dunno... I guess that's why I don't expect a throwback to Ignition/Ixnay times. They don't think they could get the revenue they want. I really wish that they'd say "dude, we've got enough money... let's just write for fun and not for the radio..." you know?

Venom Symbiote
02-03-2006, 11:08 PM
Gah, it's not money-driven.

Conspiracy and Splinter both sold much, much less than Americana. I think even Ixnay, one of their heaviest albums, did better than their last two records (Greatest Hits numbers I'm not too sure about, though).

I think it's just a change to the sort of music they want to play now. I don't think they wrote "Spare Me The Details" and "Worst Hangover Ever" to try and make money, but because that's where they see themselves at in terms of a band now.

I'm not sure which I'd prefer. Or dislike, depending on which way you look at it.

Llamas
02-04-2006, 12:36 AM
in interviews, though, greg and dexter have both made comments about being disappointed in how low the sales were for both albums. and with CO1, did you notice how much effort was put into promoting that album, and how little was put into actually recording it? It was overproduced, and marketed to the masses. They even did that whole "download it first and you win money!" thing. It didn't feel like either album was about the music, but more about the money. Compare songs like "hit that" and "original prankster" to the rest of the songs on those albums. Both songs were obviously the most radio-friendly, and were written to be so. They didn't do as well as Americana, but the offspring didn't want that to be the case- they tried very hard to hit the top.

Venom Symbiote
02-04-2006, 03:26 AM
Woah, hey hey, I'm not saying I like Conspiracy or Splinter.

I'm pretty much Ixnay-and-beforehand-only when it comes to The Offspring. I'll listen to the new records every month or so, but yeah...

Definitely like the old stuff more, personally.

THAT BEING SAID, I don't think you can say their style of music changed "because they wanted to make more money". I mean, ever since Smash they've been multi-millionaires. Obviously.

It's not like while recording Americana they suddenly decided "let's write a song making fun of white homeboys to make some quick cash". It's just the direction they wanted to go. Dexter and Greg, anyway. I think Noodles and Ron probably would have been 100% fine with sticking to the more rock-y stuff, from the vibe I get from them.

So yeah...I don't necessarily agree with the direction they've taken since 1998, but it's unfair to say they did it to make a quick buck. It's not like Ixnay did so badly they couldn't pay rent anymore or anything. Americana (and Conspiracy and Splinter subsequently) were just "oh, maybe we should try some different stuff for once - we've made four albums of the metal-influenced punk thing, let's throw some reggae and hip hop into the formula!". :)

Again: I don't necessarily agree with the way they chose to go, but hey, it wasn't about the moolah. They had enough by that point anyway. Had ALREADY "made it" in the industry.

TMDGJ
02-04-2006, 05:01 PM
To all of you worried about Offspring getting a poppy and more commercial bands: Hey, if you think about it, almost all the albums had had one song that wasnt realy the offspring.

I dont think thats a fact about that they need a "poppy" single so that ppl will buy the albums.I think it is because they like to experiment. If you listen to all the albums you hear that there are some songs which are realy different and like i said, experiment. Thats actually one thing i like about the offspring, they have the guts to try new things.

Worst hangover ever is just a song that is real funny, and the lyrics are so perfect. Spare me the details is a song that i actually like, just because it has a funny and a little different type of lyrics. And remeber that even Ixnay had that type of songs (e.g. "Dont pick it up")

So i dont think it has anything to do about them getting commercial or stuff like that, but that they actually wants to experiment in musc and try different things. And about the new album there is only one thing to be said:

"Cant Repeat" (realy great song so that album will rock no metter what style they use)

Venom Symbiote
02-04-2006, 11:38 PM
Heh, I agree with pretty-much all of what you just said (apart from "Worst Hangover Ever" being a good song :D , I think that along with "WDYGAJ", "Want You Bad", and "Spare Me The Details" it's gotta be my least favourite Offspring song ever).

And no, they don't need a "poppy single" to sell records and thereby get people to hear the more rock-y stuff.

I'm of the opinion that for example "Defy You" could have been a HUGE song, if it wasn't attached to a cruddy movie that bombed big-time. If that was, say, delayed and the first single off Splinter? Or they had happened to come up with it earlier and it was a Co1 single? I have no doubt in my mind that the public would really get into something like "Defy You".

It's just a really tight song, with commercial appeal and respectability to boot.

In the same vein as "All I Want" was a pretty decent success ("Gone Away" was the big one off that album, sure, but both tracks did decent business/promotion for them).

So here's hoping they don't just pick a style they haven't done yet (they've done metal, pop, rap, reggae, ballads, funk, and acoustic on singles thus far, so there's nothing saying they won't come up with - oh, I dunno - a polka influenced track for their next one :p ) and automatically release it as the next single.

I have NO PROBLEM with them experimenting, and it happens that I like more of those tracks than not, but I wish they didn't release them as singles.

About the only "experimental" singles by them I've liked were "I Choose" and "Pretty Fly".

Here's hoping for a "Defy You" of hell, even "Can't Repeat" for first single off the upcoming record.

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
02-05-2006, 05:15 AM
^ yeah, i think something like Can't Repeat or Defy You would be another cool single...as long as Noodles has a kick ass solo and i hope they use some cool and different FX pedals :p

Dexter_italy
02-05-2006, 07:22 AM
i think the offspring have great potential, imagine if they start working more on sounds, more bass riffs, some different drumming, but not changing theyr style. with splinter they started working on sounds and it sounded great but we need something more than less than 30 minutes
________
Gnosticism Dicussion (http://www.religionboard.org/gnosticism/)

noodle654
02-05-2006, 10:21 AM
I havent been here in a week, I was on a school trip, what exactly happened over the week. What everybody is talking about.

Thanks

Gayman
02-06-2006, 02:29 PM
Hey splinterbymyowndesign!!! I just noticed that I'm on your signature!! I'm very moved by your gesture. :D

Llamas
02-06-2006, 08:59 PM
okay. listen to the last three albums. now listen JUST to the singles- espeically the first one off each album, and the ones that did the best. You'll notice that the singles were the songs off the albums that weren't exactly "experimental", but were just very very catchy and followed the standard pop-suit. I don't care if the band experiments, but they are obviously penning these particular songs to be singles. It's totally obvious. I dunno, I give up :(

Venom Symbiote
02-07-2006, 03:16 AM
Yeah, it's moreso my problem in which songs they release to radio than in what they write.

I don't think I would have hated "Want You Bad" anywhere near as much as I do, if it wasn't a single. That song basically dug their grave as far as serious rockers were concerned, really. They were willing to forgive "Pretty Fly" (I like that track personally, but can see where the 'punkers' were coming from), but when it was repeated twice with the Co1 singles, it was sort of beyond repair by that point.

Like I said: had "Defy You" for some reason been written earlier, and they released that and "Million Miles Away" as singles, perhaps even "One Fine Day", I think we would have had ourselves a winner.

Overall I really like Co1, despite most people hating it. But the first two singles were a mistake, big-time.

Llamas
02-07-2006, 04:05 PM
Yeah, it's moreso my problem in which songs they release to radio than in what they write.

I don't think I would have hated "Want You Bad" anywhere near as much as I do, if it wasn't a single. That song basically dug their grave as far as serious rockers were concerned, really. They were willing to forgive "Pretty Fly" (I like that track personally, but can see where the 'punkers' were coming from), but when it was repeated twice with the Co1 singles, it was sort of beyond repair by that point.

Like I said: had "Defy You" for some reason been written earlier, and they released that and "Million Miles Away" as singles, perhaps even "One Fine Day", I think we would have had ourselves a winner.

Overall I really like Co1, despite most people hating it. But the first two singles were a mistake, big-time.

EXACTLY on what they release to radio. I wouldn't hate those songs if they hadn't been singles. May not be my favorites, but they would be a lot higher on my list. It's just obvious WHY they write them. Want You Bad was a desperate attempt at a radio hit, and a total waste of talent. I wouldn't have minded the song knowing it was just a fun piece they slipped in, but knowing that they wrote it for the radio makes it bad.

They did release Million Miles Away as a single- it had some play in Europe, and there's a video for it (got in my computer). They just didn't promote it like the other two. WYB and OP were bad choices off that album- should've released "come out swinging", "living in chaos", "vultures" or "conspiracy of one"... or atleast done a better job promoting million miles away. CO1 had some gems, but overall it's my least favorite album. The failures on that one really were just OP, WYB, Special delivery, and all along (in my opinion). The songs I listed before were really good songs... they were just interspersed with some losers. I dunno, my order of albums from favorite to least changes a LOT... I can never really keep it consistant, other than Ixnay I think has always been my favorite. Sometimes CO1 is in last, sometimes it's Americana, sometimes Smash, and sometimes Splinter.