PDA

View Full Version : Found this in a blog

dain84
02-02-2006, 11:31 PM
Andy Rooney said on "60 Minutes" a few weeks back:

I don't think being a minority makes you a victim of anything except numbers. The only things I can think of that are truly discriminatory are things like the United Negro College Fund, Jet Magazine, Black Entertainment Television, and Miss Black America. Try to have things like the United Caucasian College Fund, Cloud Magazine, White Entertainment Television, or Miss White America; and see what happens...
Jesse Jackson will be knocking down your door.

Guns do not make you a killer. I think killing makes you a killer. You can kill someone with a baseball bat or a car, but no one is trying to ban you from driving to the ball game.

I believe they are called the Boy Scouts for a reason, which is why there are no girls allowed. Girls belong in the Girl Scouts! ARE YOU LISTENING MARTHA BURKE?

I have the right "NOT" to be tolerant of others because they are different, weird, or tick me off.

When 70% of the people who get arrested are black, in cities where 70% of the population is black, that is not racial profiling; it is the Law of Probability.

I believe that if you are selling me a milkshake, a pack of cigarettes, a newspaper or a hotel room, you must do it in English! As a matter of fact, if you want to be an American citizen, you should have to speak English!

My father and grandfather didn't die in vain so you can leave the countries you were born in to come over and disrespect ours. I think the police should have every right to shoot your sorry ass if you threaten them after they tell you to stop. If you can't understand the word "freeze" or "stop" in English, see the above lines.

I don't think just because you were not born in this country, you are qualified for any special loan programs, government sponsored bank loans or tax breaks, etc., so you can open a hotel, coffee shop, trinket store, or any other business.

We did not go to the aid of certain foreign countries and risk our lives in wars to defend their freedoms, so that decades later they could come over here and tell us our constitution is a living document; and open to their interpretations.

I don't hate the rich. I don't pity the poor.
I know pro wrestling is fake, but so are movies and television. That doesn't stop you from watching them.

I think Bill Gates has every right to keep every penny he made and continue to make more. If it ticks you off, go and invent the next operating system that's better, and put your name on the building.

It doesn't take a whole village to raise a child right, but it does take a parent to stand up to the kid; and smack their little behinds when necessary, and say "NO!"

I think tattoos and piercing are fine if you want them, but please don't pretend they are a political statement. And, please, stay home until that new lip ring heals. I don't want to look at your ugly infected mouth as you serve me French fries!

I am sick of "Political Correctness." I know a lot of black people, and not a single one of them was born in Africa; so how can they be "African-Americans"? Besides, Africa is a continent. I don't go around saying I am a European-American because my great, great, great, great, great, great grandfather was from Europe. I am proud to be from America and nowhere else.
And if you don't like my point of view, tough...

such good points.

Haha, if I siad they were shitty points, you guys would defend them. But you guys will say they suck because I said they were good.

Paint_It_Black
02-03-2006, 03:38 AM
Actually some of them would would be ok points, if given in a relevant context. They aren't generally good enough to justify a random rant. You, however, do suck. And that is something everyone will agree on.

Vera
02-03-2006, 04:06 AM
Haha, if I siad they were shitty points, you guys would defend them. But you guys will say they suck because I said they were good.

The shittiest one out of them all.

T-6005
02-03-2006, 04:09 AM
You, however, do suck. And that is something everyone will agree on.
Pretty much.

dain84
02-03-2006, 08:14 AM
The shittiest one out of them all.
Well it's true.

Sin Studly
02-03-2006, 08:15 AM
At least he's not pretending he wrote it himself this time.

JohnnyNemesis
02-03-2006, 09:03 AM
Those were all ridiculously stupid points relying on the tendency to subvert common perceptions of what already exists rather than actually LOOKING at these things critically. Most people who actually think about things first can shoot down EVERY SINGLE ONE of those points in a heartbeat; the only reason I'm not doing that now is because I've done that a million times on this board and off and it gets fucking exhausting.

I'm kind of in shock at how ridiculous those points are and the fact that anyone would buy into them. That's why it was on television: to reach the truly ignorant.

Untrue. Even when idiots are at the height of people despising them, people still admit when they make good points: it happened with yay, Jimbob, etc.

nieh
02-03-2006, 09:23 AM
I know pro wrestling is fake, but so are movies and television. That doesn't stop you from watching them.

It doesn't take a whole village to raise a child right, but it does take a parent to stand up to the kid; and smack their little behinds when necessary, and say "NO!"

I liked those two.

Little_Miss_1565
02-03-2006, 09:26 AM
I'm sorry, much of the grammar in those 'points' was so horrendous that I refuse to believe that was Andy Rooney.

Dain, have you graduated from pretending you wrote something and have now started randomly attributing things to old men?

nieh
02-03-2006, 09:31 AM
I'm sorry, much of the grammar in those 'points' was so horrendous that I refuse to believe that was Andy Rooney.

Dain, have you graduated from pretending you wrote something and have now started randomly attributing things to old men?

Also, it says "If you can't understand the word "freeze" or "stop" in English, see the above lines" which isn't something they would say on 60 Minutes because people wouldn't be READING it then.

Preocupado
02-03-2006, 09:38 AM
"When 70% of the people who get arrested are black, in cities where 70% of the population is black, that is not racial profiling; it is the Law of Probability."

According to my extraordinary mental calculus, this means 100% of the black population are criminals?

Sin Studly
02-03-2006, 09:40 AM
Only if 100% of the city gets arrested.

Preocupado
02-03-2006, 09:44 AM
right right, that's right

Endymion
02-03-2006, 10:19 AM
obviously fake, but i'll give some quick responses anyway.

1) just off the top of my head, i prefer "BET" to "WET". and everyone knows jesse jackson's just a dick.

2) everyone knows i don't support gun control. the point made with the statement responded to, however, is that guns make it really easy to kill people, whereas bats don't.

3) the boy scouts are a private institution, they can set up whatever rules they want so long as they remain private. that means no government funding of any sort, no public trade, etc.

4) sure, go ahead. but don't expect people to like you. and you can't cut into any of their rights by being an ass.

5) not necessarily. take a real course in probability before saying something like that.

6) no. english is just the most common language here, it's not an official language. if you don't like that someone speaks another language at their shop, don't go there.

7) no, that's just stupid. arguing in some other language and threatening are two way, way different things.

8) it all depends. a lot of times the government wants to promote immigration to the US, so they set that stuff up as an incentive. it doesn't mean that they're "entitled" to an easy loan, it's that we're bribing them with it to keep the economy growing.

9) not so at all. why do you think we have a court system?

10) i neither hate the rich nor pity the poor either. i do, however, pity andy rooney.

11) no one gives a shit what you want on tv. "pro" wrestling is just lame.

12) why invent when you can use one of the dozen or so perfectly usable operating systems for the x86 (now including mac osx)? is he entitled to every penny? no, there are taxes. plus there are stock holders. he used highly unfair business practices to get where he is, and if the patent system wasn't so fucked up he'd be paying out the nose in royalties etc for the stuff he's stolen.

13) it takes more than a parent to keep a kid socially and mentally intact.

14) not all piercings get ugly and infected. not everyone with a piercing serves you fries. if you don't like it, don't buy food there.

15) ok, you don't call yourself european-american, that doesn't mean you can't.

The shadow
02-03-2006, 10:35 AM
Mr. T pities both the rich and the poor.

Paint_It_Black
02-03-2006, 10:37 AM
I think the point about "African Americans" is a good one. People that have never even been to Africa should not be calling themselves African anything. It wouldn't surprise me if some couldn't even point to it on a map. The absolute most irritating thing about the term "African Americans" is that some people use it to refer to all black people. I swear, I have been asked what the "African Americans" in England are like. My misanthropy grows.

JohnnyNemesis
02-03-2006, 10:44 AM
People that have never even been to Africa should not be calling themselves African anything.

Ludicrous.

The fact is, there is a unique cultural difference between blacks and other groups in America that requires a different classification. African-American is the most logical.

What frustrates me about your comment is that Africans were torn away from their land; they did not leave by choice. The choice to identify with a continent was stolen all those years ago, and your statement removes that choice yet AGAIN.

sKratch
02-03-2006, 11:36 AM
There are many blacks in America who either did not end up in the US directly as slaves, or immigrated to the United States much later than the slave trade. Thus, your second paragraph would not apply to these people. I have no idea what the percentage is of blacks that come from slave families as opposed to other immigration, so I can't conclude too much however.

JohnnyNemesis
02-03-2006, 11:39 AM
There are many blacks in America who either did not end up in the US directly as slaves, or immigrated to the United States much later than the slave trade. Thus, your second paragraph would not apply to these people. I have no idea what the percentage is of blacks that come from slave families as opposed to other immigration, so I can't conclude too much however.

It does, actually, because whether those people actually come directly from slaves or not, the absence of a motherland as a result of the slave trade is something that has an effect on all blacks regardless of where they migrated from.

It all goes far enough back, especially since these terms are meant to unite.

dain84
02-03-2006, 04:33 PM

I got it out of someone's blog on myspace.

dain84
02-03-2006, 04:37 PM
They should be called some place they've been.

Jail-Americans
Compton-Americans (I think that was from Chris Rock)
Or best of all, BLACK. Just as I am white.

dain84
02-03-2006, 04:38 PM
"When 70% of the people who get arrested are black, in cities where 70% of the population is black, that is not racial profiling; it is the Law of Probability."

According to my extraordinary mental calculus, this means 100% of the black population are criminals?
No, not at all. 100% of people in a city aren't arrested.

arak0r
02-03-2006, 04:47 PM
ive seen this thing posted on several dif blogs and whatnot.

BREAK
02-03-2006, 05:30 PM
Seriously, how much public humiliation can one person stand?

dain84
02-03-2006, 05:33 PM
Believe it or not, I have never been humuliated over the internet. It's near impossible, since I don't take the interweb that seriously, unlike some people (You know who you are)

BREAK
02-03-2006, 05:42 PM
Thankfully, that message was hidden because dain84 is on my ignore list.

dain84
02-03-2006, 05:45 PM
Haha what a whore

BREAK
02-03-2006, 05:48 PM
That message was ALSO hidden wonderfully, because dain84 ain't about to come off of my ignore list anytime soon.

dain84
02-03-2006, 05:53 PM
nigger.

Ignore lists are for childish little fuckwits.

Little_Miss_1565
02-03-2006, 05:59 PM
Break, allow me to translate:

wah wah wah
boo hoo boo hoo
i want a pony
i want i want i want
me me me
wah boo hoo

dain84
02-03-2006, 06:01 PM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a89/dainbramage84/resistance.jpg

a pony indeed

Sin Studly
02-03-2006, 10:56 PM
Ludicrous.

The fact is, there is a unique cultural difference between blacks and other groups in America that requires a different classification. African-American is the most logical.

No, it isn't. African-American means black. Negro. Coloured. That's what people say when they mean it. It's disguised as an indication of nationality, but it's all about race.

If a white South African emigrated to the US, would he be called an African-American? Certainly not, despite the fact that he would be more of an African-American than a 8th generation black man. If an Australian or Papua New Guinean aboriginal emigrated to the US, would he be called an African-American? Almost certaintly, despite the fact he has absolutely nothing to do with Africa.

Stop using pansied PC words and say what you mean. Say black people. xxxxx-American should be used to indicate national origin, not race. German-American, Irish-American, Sudanese-American, Rwandan-American. African-American is wholly illogical and stupid.

And again Johnny, I point out that whilst America ended the slave trade over a century ago, niggers in Africa still practise it.

calichix
02-04-2006, 12:00 AM
Dude, get over your suburban white boy blues. Jesus. WHO CARES if there's a minority club? We (whitey) get the world, they get The United Negro Poker Club. Shut up.

As for everything else- I didn't care enough to read it.

Sunny
02-04-2006, 12:14 AM
jesus christ, dain, get over yourself and shut the fuck up.

1565's translation is so very accurate. i wish i hadn't wasted my time reading this mindless bullshit.

If a white South African emigrated to the US, would he be called an African-American? Certainly not, despite the fact that he would be more of an African-American than a 8th generation black man. If an Australian or Papua New Guinean aboriginal emigrated to the US, would he be called an African-American? Almost certaintly, despite the fact he has absolutely nothing to do with Africa.

I find this to be a valid point, personally...

dain84
02-04-2006, 12:27 AM
Dude, get over your suburban white boy blues. Jesus. WHO CARES if there's a minority club? We (whitey) get the world, they get The United Negro Poker Club. Shut up.

As for everything else- I didn't care enough to read it.
How come you think when someone says minority, you think black? I'm more sick of the mexicans, who are almost a majority here. In my town, this is the racial makeup.

White: 47%
Latino: 30%
Native: 15%
Asian: 3%
Black: 5%
That's only the legals. There's probably another 5,000 illegal aliens here.
They can get away with anything because apparently it's illegal to bust a minority in school. It's fucking stupid.

dain84
02-04-2006, 12:28 AM
jesus christ, dain, get over yourself and shut the fuck up.

1565's translation is so very accurate. i wish i hadn't wasted my time reading this mindless bullshit.

You know I didn't type it, right?

Damn, you must be a minority.

Sunny
02-04-2006, 12:29 AM
wah wah wah wah wah

people like you give americans a bad name.

Sunny
02-04-2006, 12:31 AM
You know I didn't type it, right?

Damn, you must be a minority.

Oh my god I didn't realize you were THAT fucking stupid.

Newsflash: white pride is bullshit. you don't have anything to be fucking proud of. Those "minorities" you speak of could probably kick your ass in every single way.

Hux
02-04-2006, 12:32 AM
George Bush is the main man who gives America and American's a bad name not to mention all the fucked up people.

dain84
02-04-2006, 12:37 AM
Oh my god I didn't realize you were THAT fucking stupid.

Newsflash: white pride is bullshit. you don't have anything to be fucking proud of. Those "minorities" you speak of could probably kick your ass in every single way.
Of course they could kick my ass physically. It's well known that minorities are better fighters. But a lot of them are stupid! Around here, there is a big native pride movement in my school. They call us crackers and such, but if we call them anything, they get their posse together and gang up on you, and then anyone associated with you. Same for the local "Mexican Mafia." I have friends of basically all races, except Latino. Why? Becuase they're all fucking ghetto around here.

dain84
02-04-2006, 12:37 AM
wah wah wah wah wah

By the way, you look fucking retarded.

Sunny
02-04-2006, 12:40 AM
I'd rather look "fucking retarded" than BE fucking retarded, which is why I'm not offended. I'm actually filled with genuine pity for the mentally challenged, so here, have a cookie or something.

dain84
02-04-2006, 12:42 AM
I'd rather look "fucking retarded" than BE fucking retarded, which is why I'm not offended. I'm actually filled with genuine pity for the mentally challenged, so here, have a cookie or something.
If I'm so retarded, then how come I'm one of the only 130 people in my school who have a GPA of 3.0 or higher, in a school of 860?

Sin Studly
02-04-2006, 12:43 AM
I'm actually filled with genuine pity for the mentally challenged, so here, have a cookie or something.

I'm not.

*grabs cookie off you and throws it into the 'shower block'*

Go get it! Go get it, boy!

XYlophonetreeZ
02-04-2006, 12:44 AM
By the way, you look fucking retarded.Look, nobody likes you. You may value your own life, but simple logic should tell you that when everyone else in the world wants you to commit suicide, you have nothing to live for, and therefore, should give in. Guess what? Everyone wants you to commit suicide. No one values your life. You're fucking pathetic. Go feed some maggots.

Sunny
02-04-2006, 12:44 AM
If I'm so retarded, then how come I'm one of the only 130 people in my school who have a GPA of 3.0 or higher, in a school of 860?

I dunno, maybe you're just a hard-working retard?

Besides, it's not like high school grades are an adequate measure of your intelligence.

calichix
02-04-2006, 12:47 AM
How come you think when someone says minority, you think black? I'm more sick of the mexicans, who are almost a majority here. In my town, this is the racial makeup.

White: 47%
Latino: 30%
Native: 15%
Asian: 3%
Black: 5%
That's only the legals. There's probably another 5,000 illegal aliens here.
They can get away with anything because apparently it's illegal to bust a minority in school. It's fucking stupid.

you do realize that without those 5,000 illegal aliens you wouldn't eat, right? you couldn't pick crops because you are a pussy.

dain84
02-04-2006, 12:49 AM
Look, nobody likes you. You may value your own life, but simple logic should tell you that when everyone else in the world wants you to commit suicide, you have nothing to live for, and therefore, should give in. Guess what? Everyone wants you to commit suicide. No one values your life. You're fucking pathetic. Go feed some maggots.
Okay how the hell would you know? I have plenty of friends. Who cares if we're basically friends because of jackassing, making prank phone calls, and partying? I still have friends.
And are you so unintelligent that yout think I'd actually listen to some random guy I've never met, over the internet, telling me to kill myself?

FUCK YOU YOU FUCKING FUCK.

I LEAVE YOU THIS RETARD TELLING YOU TO GO FUCK YOURSELF, YOU FUCKING FUCK.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a89/dainbramage84/asdf.jpg

dain84
02-04-2006, 12:51 AM
you do realize that without those 5,000 illegal aliens you wouldn't eat, right? you couldn't pick crops because you are a pussy.
Actually, the 5,000 illegal aliens in my town do nothing but manufacture meth and other drugs. I see weed deals every day by these fat-ass mexicans right outside of school.

calichix
02-04-2006, 12:51 AM
and getting above a 3.0 in a school where hardly anyone gets above a 3.0 is not impressive. there aren't very high standards in bumfuck nowhere.

dain84
02-04-2006, 12:52 AM
I dunno, maybe you're just a hard-working retard?

Besides, it's not like high school grades are an adequate measure of your intelligence.
Elaborate?

dain84
02-04-2006, 12:53 AM
and getting above a 3.0 in a school where hardly anyone gets above a 3.0 is not impressive. there aren't very high standards in bumfuck nowhere.
The other school gets much higher grades than mine because all the ghetto retards go to my school.

XYlophonetreeZ
02-04-2006, 12:54 AM
Okay how the hell would you know? I have plenty of friends. Who cares if we're basically friends because of jackassing, making prank phone calls, and partying? I still have friends.
And are you so unintelligent that yout think I'd actually listen to some random guy I've never met, over the internet, telling me to kill myself?
No, but one can always hope.

Where'd you steal that picture from?

dain84
02-04-2006, 12:56 AM
No, but one can always hope.

Where'd you steal that picture from?
Haha, it's my friend's brother.

XYlophonetreeZ
02-04-2006, 12:58 AM
Actually, the 5,000 illegal aliens in my town do nothing but manufacture meth and other drugs. I see weed deals every day by these fat-ass mexicans right outside of school.
So even though 30% of the population in your city are LEGAL Hispanics, you can somehow just look at some "fat-ass mexicans" and tell that they belong to the 5,000 illegals?

dain84
02-04-2006, 12:58 AM
Typical faggots at school:

http://c.myspace.com/Groups/00004/82/80/4090828_l.jpg
ghetto as hell Mexicans

http://c.myspace.com/Groups/00004/24/66/4216642_l.jpg
White boy, thinks he's black.

http://c.myspace.com/Groups/00004/57/69/4249675_l.jpg
17 year old freshman. Guess what he's half of? (race)

dain84
02-04-2006, 12:59 AM
So even though 30% of the population in your city are LEGAL Hispanics, you can somehow just look at some "fat-ass mexicans" and tell that they belong to the 5,000 illegals?
They barely speak English, usually that means they're illegal.

XYlophonetreeZ
02-04-2006, 01:00 AM
And nothing looks wrong with any of those people except the white guy. Please, continue your baseless racism rants. They're hilarious. And THEN kill yourself.

dain84
02-04-2006, 01:02 AM
And nothing looks wrong with any of those people except the white guy. Please, continue your baseless racism rants. They're hilarious. And THEN kill yourself.
Nothing wrong with a 17 year old freshman? Most Freshmen are 15 at the oldest. By the time he graduates, assuming he DOES graduate, he will be 21 years old.

calichix
02-04-2006, 01:05 AM
No one wants insight into your life, dude. You're dumb.

XYlophonetreeZ
02-04-2006, 01:06 AM
And you're gonna argue that his race has something to do with that? A kid who's half-white, presumably brought up in this country, English-speaking? Probably raised white, but he couldn't cut it because of his filthy Mexican blood?

Hux
02-04-2006, 01:07 AM
Are the insults gonna be repeated over and over or are people gonna come to their senses and stop posting in this thread.

dain84
02-04-2006, 01:08 AM
And you're gonna argue that his race has something to do with that? A kid who's half-white, presumably brought up in this country, English-speaking? Probably raised white, but he couldn't cut it because of his filthy Mexican blood?
Adopted. Half-white, half-mexican. Raised by Mexicans. He's a nice kid and all, but damn, 3rd year freshman?

dain84
02-04-2006, 01:08 AM
Are the insults gonna be repeated over and over or are people gonna come to their senses and stop posting in this thread.
The insults will be repeated overand over again because no one here, with the exception of sin studly, has any creativity whatsoever.

dain84
02-04-2006, 01:09 AM
By the way, I'm not racist. I don't judge people until they start talking.

XYlophonetreeZ
02-04-2006, 01:13 AM
Of course they could kick my ass physically. It's well known that minorities are better fighters. But a lot of them are stupid! Around here, there is a big native pride movement in my school. They call us crackers and such, but if we call them anything, they get their posse together and gang up on you, and then anyone associated with you. Same for the local "Mexican Mafia." I have friends of basically all races, except Latino. Why? Becuase they're all fucking ghetto around here.Nope! I'm not racist.

dain84
02-04-2006, 01:22 AM
Nope! I'm not racist.
I used to have a Mexican friend. But he moved away. Most of them are so fucking gangster'd out. There needs to be more mexicans like Carlos Mencia, if anyone knows who that is. THAT GUY IS COOL.

Little_Miss_1565
02-04-2006, 08:33 AM
ATTENTION PEOPLE ON THE OFFSPRING BBS

Dain has seen racism in Sin Studly's posts, and perceives Sin Stud to be popular. IT'S ALL A POSE.

Please stop paying attention to him. Then maybe he'll stop.

dain84
02-04-2006, 11:35 AM
ATTENTION PEOPLE ON THE OFFSPRING BBS

Dain has seen racism in Sin Studly's posts, and perceives Sin Stud to be popular. IT'S ALL A POSE.

Please stop paying attention to him. Then maybe he'll stop.
No, I've been pretending to be racist on the internet since I first got the internet. I once made a petition about banning niggers from America just for laughs. It got a bunch of sigs, it was hilarious! But yeah, I'm not racist.

Endymion
02-04-2006, 02:58 PM
hey dain, quit stealing my image macros. again, you're a stupid cunt and no one likes you. those friends you claim to have? half of them you're lying about, the other half are far too kind and are doing it out of sympathy. really, if you care about your "friends" do them a favor and hang from the rafters.

Endymion
02-04-2006, 03:05 PM
i also noticed his closed battletoads thread. the battletoads meme lived and died years ago, dain. get with the fucking times or kill yourself already.

dain84
02-04-2006, 03:56 PM
i also noticed his closed battletoads thread. the battletoads meme lived and died years ago, dain. get with the fucking times or kill yourself already.
I never knew of this Battletoads fad. Since you say it's dead, you're a trendy asshole.

I know that didn't make much sense. SUE ME.

Endymion
02-04-2006, 04:24 PM
fad? i said meme. look, the battletoads thing is from '02. it lasted MAYBE until '03, plus you fucking did it wrong.

The shadow
02-04-2006, 04:40 PM
Hey, Dain, for you:

Me quieren agitar
Me incitan a gritar
Soy como una roca
Palabras no me tocan
Adentro hay un volcán
Que pronto va a estallar
Yo quiero estar tranquilo.

Not all ¨latinos¨ are ghetto.

dain84
02-04-2006, 04:56 PM
Hey, Dain, for you:

Me quieren agitar
Me incitan a gritar
Soy como una roca
Palabras no me tocan
Adentro hay un volcán
Que pronto va a estallar
Yo quiero estar tranquilo.

Not all ¨latinos¨ are ghetto.
Of course they're not all ghetto. Just a very large majority of the ones in my town are.

Paint_It_Black
02-04-2006, 07:17 PM
Ludicrous.

The fact is, there is a unique cultural difference between blacks and other groups in America that requires a different classification.

Read what you just wrote. I think the most logical "different classification" is right under your nose. Black. Or Black American, if you like. It's far more accurate than African American. I believe the entire African thing came about because people grew afraid to say black. First we had to stop saying "nigger". Well, that's fair. Then we had to stop saying "coloured", even though I found that word rather charming. But ok. Now we are encouraged to say African American, and not black? We've found a way to say "black people" that doesn't mention colour. That is ludicrous. And offensive, I would imagine, to black people that have it applied to them who don't consider themselves African in any way.

What frustrates me about your comment is that Africans were torn away from their land; they did not leave by choice. The choice to identify with a continent was stolen all those years ago, and your statement removes that choice yet AGAIN.

All the Africans that were torn away from their land are dead. They no longer need your pity or your anger.

I remove no choice, they can associate with whatever they please, I simply said they should not be calling themselves African anything. I did not propose removing their right to call themselves that. I just think it's...silly.

dain84
02-04-2006, 07:19 PM
^^finally, a post with thought.

Paint_It_Black
02-04-2006, 07:21 PM
^^finally, a post with thought.

Just so we're clear, I don't like you.

dain84
02-04-2006, 07:25 PM
Just so we're clear, I don't like you.
The feeling is mutual. I'm just giving credit where credit is due.

Paint_It_Black
02-04-2006, 07:32 PM
The difference is, the feeling is only mutual because you know I don't like you.

dain84
02-04-2006, 07:42 PM
The difference is, the feeling is only mutual because you know I don't like you.
No, I never liked you. I only said you made a good post because, unlike amost people here, I acknowledge a good post no matter who makes it.

JohnnyNemesis
02-04-2006, 08:12 PM
Read what you just wrote. I think the most logical "different classification" is right under your nose. Black. Or Black American, if you like. It's far more accurate than African American.

You and Sin Studly make good points, but the fact is that descent-wise, African-American isn't really inaccurate at all. And absolutely no one is offended by the term "Black" and no one thinks you shouldn't call them that, so I don't get where the original post in this thread is coming from.

Then we had to stop saying "coloured", even though I found that word rather charming.

You're way too smart not to see what's wrong with that term.

But ok. Now we are encouraged to say African American, and not black?

Yeah, but seriously, very rarely do black people ever encourage people to do that. I should have mentioned that earlier.

We've found a way to say "black people" that doesn't mention colour. That is ludicrous.

How so? Race relations and discussions have evolved to the point where color means little if anything at all, whereas social standing, historical context, and things of that nature are CRUCIAL.

All the Africans that were torn away from their land are dead. They no longer need your pity or your anger.

Pity? None. Anger? Tons. If the effects of those acts weren't STILL felt today, maybe I'd calm down, but they're still incredibly strong. People love to cite the progress blacks have made in order to refute that, but think about how absolutely ridiculous it is that we're even forced to consider that "progress". Just look at the stats to see how the effects of the slave trade persist today and don't merely end with people.

No, I never liked you. I only said you made a good post because, unlike amost people here, I acknowledge a good post no matter who makes it.

Only if you already agreed with it beforehand. You're not open to opposing viewpoints. See the discussion PIB and I are having? It's an open discussion with both of us holding out the possibility of being wrong.

dain84
02-04-2006, 08:20 PM
I hate you, but I still loved that post that you called me a whiny bitch.

JohnnyNemesis
02-04-2006, 08:23 PM
Don't waste your hate on me, because I don't hate you. I just pity you for being so ignorant, unintelligent, cowardly, and completely lacking of any personality.

XYlophonetreeZ
02-04-2006, 09:57 PM
Yeah, but seriously, very rarely do black people ever encourage people to do that. I should have mentioned that earlier.Very true, and furthermore, I actually know some black people who encourage just the opposite. "African-American" isn't considered half as PC as it was 10 years ago, because some feel it belittles their status as Americans. And while they ARE Americans, equal to anyone else in this country, I personally don't think it belittles anything, because terms like Indian-American, Chinese-American, etc., are also used. Still, I like the idea of just using "black" because it highlights the one thing that's undeniably different about black people, which is their skin color. Ideally I'd like to be able to avoid making racial distinctions whenever possible, and view race casually, so when it's necessary, "black" works very well for me because it's more genuine. It sort of sends the message "yeah, our skin's different colors. We just look a little different."

On a semi-related note, most Native Americans actually don't like being called that and prefer "Indian" even though it's an obvious misnomer. It makes sense too, since "America" wasn't their name either, and was rather the name given to their land by the very people that drove them out and nearly eradicated them. Of course, you may run into the confusion between American Indians and Indian Indians (the whole "feather or dot" thing). But it's not much to fret over.

Paint_It_Black
02-05-2006, 02:07 AM
You're way too smart not to see what's wrong with that term.

That made me grin. I'm not certain that most people are aware when I'm being a little less than serious. I do find that the word has a certain charm to it though. Because in my personal experience it's used by ignorant yet good-natured people. Like my own mother for example.

How so? Race relations and discussions have evolved to the point where color means little if anything at all, whereas social standing, historical context, and things of that nature are CRUCIAL.

But you are still discussing black people. Is it not simplest just to call them that?

Pity? None. Anger? Tons. If the effects of those acts weren't STILL felt today, maybe I'd calm down, but they're still incredibly strong. People love to cite the progress blacks have made in order to refute that, but think about how absolutely ridiculous it is that we're even forced to consider that "progress". Just look at the stats to see how the effects of the slave trade persist today and don't merely end with people.

But anger will get us nowhere. Holding a grudge against people long dead will get us nowhere. Unless you are angry with something that is still occuring?

What stats are you referring to in particular? And how do they relate to slavery? I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, just trying to define the parameters of the discussion.

Only if you already agreed with it beforehand. You're not open to opposing viewpoints. See the discussion PIB and I are having? It's an open discussion with both of us holding out the possibility of being wrong.

That kind of discussion can only occur when both parties respect each other. Liking each other is an added bonus. Sadly, Dain is unlikely to ever experience it.

Paint_It_Black
02-05-2006, 02:10 AM
Of course, you may run into the confusion between American Indians and Indian Indians (the whole "feather or dot" thing). But it's not much to fret over.

There's not too much confusion, because there appears to be far more dots than feathers in america these days.

calichix
02-05-2006, 11:40 PM
Paint It Black, you're some kind of wonderful.