PDA

View Full Version : not my president

igniton/pyro
02-04-2006, 10:20 AM
have you seen that there is more pepole whering a not my president t-shirt. its not just noodles.
see here:
http://i1.tinypic.com/n50txi.jpg
guy from foo fighters

http://i1.tinypic.com/n50z1x.jpg
guy from NOFX

nieh
02-04-2006, 10:31 AM
I hate those shirts. He won the majority of the votes. He won at democracy and they're just pissed off and bitter that things ddin't go their way. Whether they like it or not, he IS their president. If they want to express their discontent, they should come up with a new fucking phrase to plaster around everywhere. Not to mention the upside-down cross on his forehead is just fucking stupid.

coke_a_holic
02-04-2006, 10:38 AM
http://www.nothingnice.com/comics/20050307.gif

reader
02-04-2006, 10:45 AM
I hate those shirts. He won the majority of the votes. He won at democracy and they're just pissed off and bitter that things ddin't go their way. Whether they like it or not, he IS their president. If they want to express their discontent, they should come up with a new fucking phrase to plaster around everywhere. Not to mention the upside-down cross on his forehead is just fucking stupid.

Your government is for the people, by the people. If the people don't like their president killing people in the middle east they are entitled to denounce him, because he's doing it in their name under the constitution. So to say people are 'bitter' that things didn't 'go their way' is a bit of hyperbole. It's not like the difference they're talking about is a difference of tax so they're 'bitter'. They have a decent reason to gripe.

Further more, many people hate Americans. Many terroists use the rationable above 'by the people for the people' to justify killing Americans. Such a t-shirt sends out an opposite message.

nieh
02-04-2006, 10:50 AM
Your government is for the people, by the people. If the people don't like their president killing people in the middle east they are entitled to denounce him, because he's doing it in their name under the constitution. So to say people are 'bitter' that things didn't 'go their way' is a bit of hyperbole. It's not like the difference they're talking about is a difference of tax so they're 'bitter'. They have a decent reason to gripe.

Further more, many people hate Americans. Many terroists use the rationable above 'by the people for the people' to justify killing Americans. Such a t-shirt sends out an opposite message.

They are entitled to CRITICIZE him. They are entitled to CHANGE things. They are entitled to speak their opinion that he is doing a shit job. They are entitled to call him "stupid monkey-faced piece of shit" for all I care if that truly is their opinion. But as American citizens, he IS their president and no number of t-shirts is going to change that fact.

el_monkey
02-04-2006, 11:40 AM
They are entitled to CRITICIZE him. They are entitled to CHANGE things. They are entitled to speak their opinion that he is doing a shit job. They are entitled to call him "stupid monkey-faced piece of shit" for all I care if that truly is their opinion. But as American citizens, he IS their president and no number of t-shirts is going to change that fact.

if they say it is not their president it is not their president
this is part of the human rights! nobody may be forced to do/say anything, or agree to anybody being his president, since he does not restrict the rights of any other human being

XYlophonetreeZ
02-04-2006, 11:43 AM
if they say it is not their president it is not their president
I'm amused by this sentence. Is this kind of like "there is no spoon"?

0r4ng3
02-04-2006, 11:44 AM
You will eventually realize, it is yourself that bends.

el_monkey
02-04-2006, 11:48 AM
I'm amused by this sentence. Is this kind of like "there is no spoon"?

you're completely right ;)

GreenTerror
02-04-2006, 11:52 AM
This should really be in politics...

And as for the whole shirt wearing thing, I'd have to agree with Nieh. That's just the way Democracy works. They voted, he won. They are American citizens, and he is just as much their president as he is the people who are in favor of him, no matter how much they disagree with him and his decisions.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
02-04-2006, 12:03 PM
Well everyone brought up a good point.

They are just complaining that the person they didn't vote for won the election but they are just sharing their opinion of how much they dislike the one who won and try to get others to agree.

wheelchairman
02-04-2006, 12:05 PM
Isn't saying that he is not their president, showing their disapprovement of his actions?

I did not intepret it as a complete rejection of the Executive Branch. Sure he's mandated as President of the United States. And sure being citizens thereof, he is by definition their President. That's not the issue, the issue is that they don't like him. That they didn't vote for him. And that you can be President without 100% support, and that some people in foreign countries don't realize this about Americans.

Which is a problem. We are the new Germans when it comes to being hassled while travelling.

nieh
02-04-2006, 12:32 PM
I have no problem with the shirts/bumper stickers that say "Don't blame me, I voted for Kerry" but "not my president" is just annoying.

That_Guy91
02-04-2006, 12:40 PM
This should really be in politics...

And as for the whole shirt wearing thing, I'd have to agree with Nieh. That's just the way Democracy works. They voted, he won. They are American citizens, and he is just as much their president as he is the people who are in favor of him, no matter how much they disagree with him and his decisions.
That's true, but those shirts are meant to be symbolic. Of course he's president, that's obvious. And everyone knows it's not going to change until the next election. The shirts are just basically showing their discontent at this fact. It's kind of like the whole flag burning thing, just less destructive.

Original prankstA
02-04-2006, 12:42 PM
i own that shirt

coke_a_holic
02-04-2006, 12:56 PM
i own that shirt
Thank you for your contribution, sir, you'll get an oversized pin in the mail sometime soon.

Original prankstA
02-04-2006, 12:59 PM
Thank you for your contribution, sir, you'll get an oversized pin in the mail sometime soon.
ok .

TheUnholyNightbringer
02-04-2006, 06:27 PM
This dude screams intellectual prowess, don't he?

And I agree with Per. I don't think the t-shirt literally means "this dude is not my president by definition", but more the usual hyped-up sentence a lot of things have these days,

Andy
02-04-2006, 07:17 PM
He's not my president.

Drum Goddess
02-04-2006, 07:19 PM
have you seen that there is more pepole whering a not my president t-shirt. its not just noodles.
see here:
http://i1.tinypic.com/n50txi.jpg
guy from foo fighters

http://i1.tinypic.com/n50z1x.jpg
guy from NOFX
I have that shirt. I bought it like a year or 2 ago from some music store.

the toy maker
02-04-2006, 07:24 PM
I have that shirt. I bought it like a year or 2 ago from some music store.
yeah i've seen in music stores before...anyway i think it makes sense to express your views on politics but you can't say somebody isn't your president just because you don't like them or are a democrat, bush is everybody's president for another 4 years.

Rag Doll
02-04-2006, 07:28 PM
stupid shirt. this coming from someone who has worn their *i still hate george bush* shirt so many times that it has faded quite a bit...

BREAK
02-04-2006, 07:32 PM
It would've only made sense to have worn it 5 years ago. These ridiculous punkers are so behind the times, it's laughable.

JohnnyNemesis
02-04-2006, 07:32 PM
He's not my president.

*golf clap* Well played, my friend.

Also, some of you are taking the shirt way too literally. I'm pretty sure the creators and everyone who wears the shirt knows full well who their President actually legally is and isn't trying to deny that (at least not anymore).

It's a question of representation: they feel that Bush does not represent their interests or well-being, and that's the statement made. He's not their President in that sense.

Step away from that point-zero perspective, my friends.

Jakebert
02-04-2006, 07:47 PM
The shirt is just a stupid shirt that wanna-be Bush haters wear so they can look rebellious.

JohnnyNemesis
02-04-2006, 07:57 PM
I'm not saying that I'm right and you're wrong, but in terms of arguments, I think I might have a stronger one.

Just a hunch...

Jakebert
02-04-2006, 08:03 PM
What? Me? I know that the shirt means they disagree with Bush and that he doesn't represent them, I'm just saying that most of the people who have the shirt don't really "hate" Bush because they have a reason, they just do it because it's lolkewlomghxc.

nieh
02-04-2006, 08:30 PM
I know they don't literally think that Bush is not there president, but why just say "Not my president"? It comes across as ignorant, childish and bitter. Why not do the "Don't blame me, I voted for Kerry" thing? Or come up with something else like Bush's face and under it instead of having "W" have a "Y" or something or "Can't wait for 2008". Even Sam's *i still hate george bush* thing is better than this.

JohnnyNemesis
02-04-2006, 08:43 PM
I know they don't literally think that Bush is not there president, but why just say "Not my president"? It comes across as ignorant, childish and bitter. Why not do the "Don't blame me, I voted for Kerry" thing? Or come up with something else like Bush's face and under it instead of having "W" have a "Y" or something or "Can't wait for 2008". Even Sam's *i still hate george bush* thing is better than this.

I don't see how "Not my President" is any less childish, ignorant, or bitter than any of those others in light of my earlier explanation. In fact, it says much more than a simple "I still hate Bush" or "Don't blame me, I voted for Kerry" does. Those other ones seem more concerned with mindless Bush-bashing, while "Not My President" is actually saying something about Bush.

Drummerguy123
02-04-2006, 08:51 PM
This shirt has always bugged me a bit, but I knew it wasn't meant to be literal. I agree with Johnnynemesis here because it's not being childish, it's just symbolic (not the word I'm looking for, but oh well...) of how they feel represented by the president. I am definately against Bush, but I couldn't picture myself wearing one of these. I must say, though, that I rather enjoyed a bumper sticker that read, "I voted for Bush in 2000. Sorry, my bad."

coke_a_holic
02-04-2006, 08:56 PM
I really enjoyed the bumper sticker that said "If you're not completely offended, you're not paying enough attention."

Drummerguy123
02-04-2006, 08:59 PM
lol. I haven't seen one of those in a while. I liked the other one that said "Somewhere in Texas, a villiage is missing it's idiot."
wow. I must be tired.

nieh
02-04-2006, 09:00 PM
I think we're just going to have to disagree on this one because I honestly don't see how "Not my president" is anything more than a resentful catch phrase to be used by punks that would probably find something to hate about the president no matter who it was. I CAN see why that phrase could work with other writing. Someone writes up a big, intelligent rant and uses a line like that as emphasis. That would work. I would have no problem with the phrase in that context. But on its own, on a t-shirt or a bumper sticker, it just sounds stupid to me. Maybe if the front said "Not my President" and the back had a bigass paragraph explaining why they felt that way? But then I'd probably complain about them not coming up with that stuff on their own.

JohnnyNemesis
02-04-2006, 09:06 PM
Yeah, you're going to find something wrong with every single statement ever placed on a t-shirt if you look at it that way. Lord knows I have done that with most, so I know what you're sayin'. And a big paragraph explaining what I outlined earlier completely defeats the purpose of making a comment on something like a t-shirt anyway.

I just think that the whole "resentful punks" thing you mentioned and stuff like that applies to every catchphrase in general, not just this one...idiots co-opt things like this all the time. It happens. "Not My President" is still not any less mature than all the other popular slogans for that very reason.

In that case though, I'd agree with you; I'm against bumpersticker and t-shirt slogans in general because of that. I just happen to relate to this one no matter how many idiots happen to agree with me.

It's kinda like being an Offspring fan. lolz.

nieh
02-04-2006, 09:19 PM
I just think that the whole "resentful punks" thing you mentioned and stuff like that applies to every catchphrase in general, not just this one...idiots co-opt things like this all the time. It happens. "Not My President" is still not any less mature than all the other popular slogans for that very reason.

That's the thing though. Some of the other phrases out there show they disagree while still having a little bit of humor in them. It doesn't feel really bitter to me if there's humor attached, even if it's lame humor. The other phrases may be just as dumb, but they manage to express discontent without sounding bitter or resentful. I would never, ever, ever, ever buy anything with one of them showing because I think they're stupid on principal, but they don't normally bother me nearly as much as this one does.

JohnnyNemesis
02-04-2006, 09:22 PM
The other phrases may be just as dumb, but they manage to express discontent without sounding bitter or resentful.

That's the thing right there. They manage to express discontent without sounding bitter or resentful...which is why they're also essentially empty and why I enjoy this one more. The bitterness is a good thing because it's the part where an actual statement is being made, and it's the part that makes you question more. With half the others, there's nothing really to think about any further than what you see.

nieh
02-04-2006, 09:41 PM
But when it's just the phrase on it's own I don't buy that. I don't believe everyone that has that shirt thinks like you think. I don't believe the majority of them put any thought into it past the phrase itself like you do. Like I said in my last post, it would work for me if there was other writing backing it up but just as a one liner it does nothing for me. It implies that you dislike the current leader but it doesn't necessarily imply that they did (or are going to do) anything about it. I guarantee you there's a good chunk of people that wear that shirt that didn't even vote in the last election even though they were eligible. The "Don't blame me, I voted for Kerry" thing is kinda stupid and light-hearted but it shows that they dislike the current leader and actually did their part and made an effort to keep him out. Or at least I'm more likely to assume that's the case...I'd like to believe that people that wear shirts that say that actually voted like the shirt says they did.

Duracell
02-04-2006, 09:53 PM
But when it's just the phrase on it's own I don't buy that. I don't believe everyone that has that shirt thinks like you think. I don't believe the majority of them put any thought into it past the phrase itself like you do. Like I said in my last post, it would work for me if there was other writing backing it up but just as a one liner it does nothing for me. It implies that you dislike the current leader but it doesn't necessarily imply that they did (or are going to do) anything about it. I guarantee you there's a good chunk of people that wear that shirt that didn't even vote in the last election even though they were eligible. The "Don't blame me, I voted for Kerry" thing is kinda stupid and light-hearted but it shows that they dislike the current leader and actually did their part and made an effort to keep him out. Or at least I'm more likely to assume that's the case...I'd like to believe that people that wear shirts that say that actually voted like the shirt says they did.

um I'd have to dissagree with u about that.....what are u a fucking moron?

offspring fan
02-05-2006, 06:04 AM
http://www.spunoutonline.com/product_info.php/cPath/63/products_id/10001882

buy yourself a t-shirt =P

igniton/pyro
02-05-2006, 07:11 AM
http://www.spunoutonline.com/product_info.php/cPath/63/products_id/10001882

buy yourself a t-shirt =P
lol....................