PDA

View Full Version : Absence and You?

wheelchairman
02-04-2006, 12:44 PM
hmm how does absence work in your school systems?

I remember in my American middle school, that if you weren't in your seat by the time the bell rings, you would be in for detention. And you couldn't miss school unless you were sick.

In the Danish school that I attend now, you can pretty much skip whenever you want, as long as you don't skip over 120 hours. (then if you do, you have to have a final exam in every single class you've had for 3 years.)

So I just recieved a letter today saying that I have 81 hours of absence. (This is the second letter. I got one two months ago saying that I had 45 hours. But I got them to knock off 20 hours or so. At least that's what they told me.)

So either I have 81 hours but they made a mistake and I should only have 61.

Or in reality I've amassed a total of over 100 hours of absence this year.

Neat.

Original prankstA
02-04-2006, 12:48 PM
in my school all the teachers are completely careless if you are late or absent, except the few who think school is the best thing ever but if you do get 5 tardies it's detention, if it's 10 you get a saturday school, and i think if you get 15 or more you get suspended for a day

Linda
02-04-2006, 12:48 PM
Sounds like you've been a bad bad boy!

darko
02-04-2006, 12:49 PM
When i was in school, if you wherent there by the time the 2nd bell went you where marked as off, and if you came in late you had to get a late comers form from the office and get all your teachers on that days timetable to sign it. If you missed so many hours, cant remember how many now, you get pulled into the head masters office.

College....they didnt care if you where there or not...as long as you got the assesments and notes.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
02-04-2006, 12:49 PM
Well, it would totally depend on the teacher for if you are late or not. Some teachers will let you sneak in the room after the bell, some will let you be fine if you are in the room, some force you in your seats. If you never show up for class, you were absent and nothing happens until they get more info on why. If show up after the bell, you just get a "late". Three of those a quarter gets you a detention. You can be absent for being sick, but there were times where I just skipped and called in sick.

Sinister
02-04-2006, 12:51 PM
high school, if you're late 3 times in half a year (they clear the records during christmas holidays) you get detention.
same if you miss one whole day.

Original prankstA
02-04-2006, 12:56 PM
oh yeah i forgot about my 6th grade home room teacher, she was a bitch, once the girl that sat behind me was absent so i sat in her seat because my friend was behind that seat so she marked me absent even though she like called my name and i said "here" and then the next day i slept in and i had to go to the attendence lady's window to tell i just came in so she did her thing on the computer and asked me where i was in home room the day before "i was there the whole time" i said and then she told me my home room teacher said i didnt come until the end of class, and for the rest of the year me and my home room teacher were bitter rivals.

that's the most i've ever typed here

Sunny
02-04-2006, 01:04 PM
Holy shit. 61 hours of absence?

At my school:

1 absence - grade is lowered 1/3
2 absences - grade is lowered a full letter
3 absences - automatic failure

2 lates - 1 absence

not to mention.. failing a class = losing your scholarship.

offspring kid
02-04-2006, 01:07 PM
My School dosen't care, they say it's your own loss! ( what a bunch of Crap )

coke_a_holic
02-04-2006, 01:08 PM
At my High School:
3 Absences: Detention
5 Absences: Loss of Credit on the course and you have to retake over the summer it to regain that credit.
1 Late: 1/3 Absence

EDIT: Every absence gets a call home.

Tired_Of_You
02-04-2006, 01:08 PM
high school, if you're late 3 times in half a year (they clear the records during christmas holidays) you get detention.
It was the same for me when I was in high school, although I don't remember if they cleared the record during Christmas. If you were late, you had to go to the secretary so she could sign your agenda and then you had to show it to the teacher. Useless, but we had to do it anyway. If you missed one class without any reason, you had a detention.

As for Cégep, it's your own problem if you arrive late. I think that if you're late 3 times, it counts as if you missed one class. After you miss 9 hours (which means 3 classes) of a 45 hours class, you're out and you fail the course. As for classes such as French ( I think it's a 60 hours class, but I'm not sure), if you don't go to 5 (or is it 4?) classes, you fail.

wheelchairman
02-04-2006, 01:11 PM
Holy shit. 61 hours of absence?

At my school:

1 absence - grade is lowered 1/3
2 absences - grade is lowered a full letter
3 absences - automatic failure

2 lates - 1 absence

not to mention.. failing a class = losing your scholarship.
Shit. I would've hated going to your school. Really really hated.

I have not failed a class, ever. Not even the classes where I've never opened a textbook. This is not an example of my mental fortitude, but an example of the lack of standards in Danish schools.

Jebus
02-04-2006, 01:14 PM
If I'm absent 8 times this semester I won't be eligeble to graduate in June. Other than that, there isn't much to tell.

Btw, I was under the impression universities didn't care whether or not you showed up to class.

wheelchairman
02-04-2006, 01:19 PM
If I'm absent 8 times this semester I won't be eligeble to graduate in June. Other than that, there isn't much to tell.

Btw, I was under the impression universities didn't care whether or not you showed up to class.
I don't think they do. I don't go to a university though. I go to the equivalent of High School.

Preocupado
02-04-2006, 01:25 PM
I gotta have 75% of presence, wich means that 4 absences equals reproval. It's rubbish if you ask me.

lucy-lucy
02-04-2006, 01:26 PM
i missed like 20 days last semester
they threatened me that they would send me to court.
they told me this two yrs ago as well

but i keep missing school because im retarded

wheelchairman
02-04-2006, 02:01 PM
i missed like 20 days last semester
they threatened me that they would send me to court.
they told me this two yrs ago as well

but i keep missing school because im retarded
And apparently you are also completely incoherent.

You missed 20 days last september. And two years ago they wanted to sue you because of this.

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~raza/wtf.jpg

sKratch
02-04-2006, 02:10 PM
There used to be a policy in my high school where if you missed over 25 days of a class you failed automatically. They switched to something new my junior or senior year that I don't quite remember... I think they made class participation a required percentage of the grade in every class so you'd faild if you skipped a certain amount of classes. That sounds too similar to the old system though... I remember it being rather different. Sickness with a note+call from parents and visiting colleges were the only legitimate excuses, along with court dates.

Sunny
02-04-2006, 02:31 PM

Design schools do, because of the way classes are structured. Class time is actually the most important thing because of the critiques you receive and your amount of participation in critiquing others.

Tizzalicious
02-04-2006, 02:51 PM
At my latest school we had to attend 80% of the classes. If you missed more, you wouldn't be allowed to retake your exams if you failed. If you were sick, you still had to make that 80%, which was, of course, pretty lame.

In highschool, when you weren't in class after the 2nd bell (we always had 2 in the morning), you had to go to the...fuck I forgot the word, which is stupid, because Per & Rob always tease me with it (Per, please help!), you know the guy who is at the door and also cleans and stuff. Anyway, you had to go there and you'd get a note, plus you'd have to be at school half an hour early the next day.

The attendance thing never really applied to me though. I was ill all the time anyway. I would only attend 2 classes a day or something, to try to keep my migraines under control. Soooo, yes.

Sometimes when they were doing the name-thing with a list, my teacher would go: "Maartje...not here" And I'd be like: "I'm here!!!!!!!!!" They just assumed I wasn't. Gah.

Tizzalicious
02-04-2006, 02:52 PM
Also, Per, get on Skype, you homo.

China Boy
02-04-2006, 02:59 PM
My School:

Any kind of absence: Nobody gives a fuck.

I never skip school though (only when I'm sick)

Rag Doll
02-04-2006, 03:31 PM
In high school, you were only allowed 18 absences per year. More than that, and you risked being held back. I had like...100+ absences my junior year cause I was really sick and had my tonsils out and what not. Almost didn't let me move on, but eventually they did.

In college...you get 0-3 absences per class, professor's discretion. More than 3 is an automatic failure (unless you have a nice professor that says *hey, if you wanna waste your money and not come, thats fine* and doesnt take attendance...but those are rare). Usually any absence will drop your grade. I have good grades, so they tend to let me slide on being absent once or twice.

Kerr
02-04-2006, 04:13 PM
A Burleigh College, it is fairly strict but just less strict in sixth-form. If you're basent for any period, and it is unauthorised, then you will always be questioned on it, and if you're regularly absent in an unauthorised manner, you'd get thrown out of sixth-form. However, form tutors tend to care less about unauthorised absences, only ask on them (they tend to get more annoyed about not attending tutor periods, which hardly stops me since I am more likely to skip those, especially if I have a free period before the tutor period). There is no punishment for the occasional absence.

TheUnholyNightbringer
02-04-2006, 06:00 PM
At our college the teachers are being fucked around by the management as much as the students. So to make life difficult for management they really don't care whether we turn up or not.

lucy-lucy
02-04-2006, 06:30 PM
And apparently you are also completely incoherent.

You missed 20 days last september. And two years ago they wanted to sue you because of this.

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~raza/wtf.jpg

i said semester. not september.
and i meant that 2 yrs ago happened the same thing

0r4ng3
02-04-2006, 10:35 PM
Wow, all of your schools let you guys off easy. At my school, 2 absences mean they send an assassin to kill you. You don't wanna know what they do for 3 absences...

coke_a_holic
02-04-2006, 10:40 PM
How does one live to get the 3rd absence? I don't understand...

0r4ng3
02-04-2006, 10:41 PM
Hey, don't ask me, these are my school's rules.

Plumey
02-04-2006, 11:48 PM
Dude, I thought this thread was "Abstinence and you". My brain must be really whacked.

Anyway, my school hates truancy, but everyone skips class anyway, 'cuz it's pretty easy to just call the school and say that you're sick or say you have menstrual cramps or something, especially if the teacher is male. The teachers don't really teach much of anything, anyway - just read the book and do the homework and you're pretty much set.

Italia311
02-04-2006, 11:55 PM
At my highschool you couldn't miss more then 1/4 of the course hours...I missed 27 days and I was suspended...

Some of my university courses you cannot miss more then 4 classes. If you do, then 20% off your mark. Thats for tutorials...lecture they dont care.

killer_queen
02-05-2006, 01:34 AM
Depends on the teacher. Some teachers can wait for 10 minutes and some teachers come early to be an ass. Well, doesn't matter for me. Teachers love me, I can be late whenever I want.

Also we just can miss 20 days without a report(?) from a doctor.

Izie
02-05-2006, 01:57 AM
In highschool we needed doctor's notes and if you missed more than 1/3 of the total amount of lessons of a class you'd have to do an exam in it. Never happened to me though.

At uni, we don't have to be there if we don't want to.

the_GoDdEsS
02-05-2006, 02:33 AM
In highschool we needed doctor's notes and if you missed more than 1/3 of the total amount of lessons of a class you'd have to do an exam in it. Never happened to me though.

Very much the same. And you had the possibility to get a day off for "family reasons" but your parents had to bring a note. I think it could only happen once or twice a year.

As for uni, two or three absences were possible. The fourth one was -10% off your grade. Which meant a lot since you often needed 75% to pass at all.

Liesbeth
02-05-2006, 02:48 AM
In my school, you have detention when you arrive 3 times late in one month.
During one year, you can stay home 8 days without dokter's note. When you stay home longer, you have detention too.

Rocky-girl
02-05-2006, 02:57 AM
Every moning in my school starts like this: bell rings, teacher on duty enters and start to count us, than he comes on 4 lesson and count us and than comes on 6 lesson. Every day, and you if miss you need to bring a note fron doctor that you were ill.

Awful!!!

the_GoDdEsS
02-05-2006, 02:59 AM
Perfectly normal. To teachers you're sometimes like cattle.

Rocky-girl
02-05-2006, 03:08 AM
Uhu, I think so and feel so, sometimes I want to get up and shout at that teacher. Awful!

its one fine day
02-05-2006, 08:54 AM
at my school, it depends what teacher you get. some are more leaniant than others

Kitten
02-05-2006, 11:46 AM
At my high school, you couldn't have a day off without a note from your parents, or a doctors certificate. If you were late, same thing.
I never really found out what happened if you had too many days off though.

I still love that if you skip shcool in some places, they give you more days off.