PDA

View Full Version : Best and worst cover versions

the_GoDdEsS
02-05-2006, 11:08 AM
As of recent even though I have not been following the music that plays on radios or music stations these days, I still could not help but notice the horrifying rape of the ABBA song. I respect Madonna as an artist especially because of her old music but this is just too much for my ears. It's an absolute disgrace and tasteless. And if I ever hear it anywhere again, may it be the supermarket or bus, I'll throw an anger fit.

Awful. (http://www.expres.sk/player.php?filePath=writeable%2Fdata_storage%2Fems %2Fmadonna_hungup.wma)

Jakebert
02-05-2006, 01:57 PM
I really hate it when some country singer does a popular song right at the height of it's popularity. I mean, the songs suck in the first place, let alone with someone like Alan Jackson singing them.

XYlophonetreeZ
02-05-2006, 03:03 PM
Madonna's cover of American Pie is the worst, hands-down.

Though AFI's cover of Head Like a Hole is pretty fucking awful too.

Which, in turn, reminds me that Nine Inch Nails' cover of Hurt is equally terrible.

Fuck.

JohnnyNemesis
02-05-2006, 03:18 PM
It annoys the fuck out of me when people think that Johnny Cash's version of Personal Jesus is the original version, failing to realize that HE is covering Depeche Mode. Ugh.

Marilyn Manson's covers of "Tainted Love" and "Personal Jesus" reeked of failure. His cover of "Sweet Dreams" was awesome though.

Yeah, Madonna disgraced ABBA there too.

All About Eve
02-05-2006, 03:33 PM
I like the AFI cover of Head Like a Hole, actually.

Scissor Sisters covering Comfortably Numb was awful, and there was one other I can't remember at the moment.

XYlophonetreeZ
02-05-2006, 03:43 PM
Marilyn Manson's covers of "Tainted Love"
Ooh, I also hate that one. I did like Social Distortion's cover of that song though. Much better than their cover of, say, Ring of Fire (has to be the most overrated punk cover ever). It's just more natural as a sped-up punk song. Also, Social D's cover of "Under My Thumb" is one of the best cover versions ever. Seriously.

coke_a_holic
02-05-2006, 04:06 PM
One of the absolute worst:

Korn - Another Brick in the Wall

Sinister
02-05-2006, 04:09 PM

they did a good job with One (Metallica) live though.

Self Esteem by Evanescence sucks more than an industrial vacuum cleaner.

nameless
02-05-2006, 04:17 PM
anything avril lavigne covers! basket case, chop suey, american idiot to name a few!

Andy
02-05-2006, 04:43 PM
The Avril Lavigne cover of Chop Suey is indeed le bollocks.

I wouldn't say that Madonna song is a cover.. All it is is a Abba sample in a Madonna song. Either way it is indeed a shit song.

Hmm, covers... I have heard many. Some good. Some bad. Some plain awful.

Unfortunately, I can't remember any at the moment.

0r4ng3
02-05-2006, 05:56 PM
I heard that Simple Plan covered American Jesus. I don't even have to hear it, but I know it's gotta be pretty bad.

the toy maker
02-05-2006, 07:09 PM
some band covered all the small things for "band camp" soundtrack and it blew

WebDudette
02-05-2006, 07:11 PM
Avril does the worste covers EVER.

the toy maker
02-05-2006, 07:15 PM
Avril does the worste covers EVER.
i don't know i liked her version of green day's basket case but other than that all her songs suck

WebDudette
02-05-2006, 07:17 PM
Which, in turn, reminds me that Nine Inch Nails' cover of Hurt is equally terrible.

Johnny Cash covered Nine Inch Nails. But I would agree that Johnny Cash's version is better.

I hate when people tell me "Personal Jesus" is a Marilyn Manson song. Haven't heard his version of "Tainted Love" but I thought the "Sweet Dreams" cover was cool aswell.

All About Eve
02-05-2006, 07:26 PM
Oh oh oh. Limp Bizkit covering Behind Blue Eyes. Teh suxzors. Especially when everyone thinks it's by him.

GreenTerror
02-05-2006, 10:04 PM
Self Esteem by Evanescence sucks more than an industrial vacuum cleaner.
Woah, what?! Did they seriously? No way. We are talking about Offspring's Self Esteem, right?

And Offspring's version of Totalimmortal was just terrible. Yeah, I said it.

Drummerguy123
02-05-2006, 10:06 PM
Woah, what?! Did they seriously? No way. We are talking about Offspring's Self Esteem, right?

And Offspring's version of Totalimmortal was just terrible. Yeah, I said it.

Dude, The Offspring totally ass-raped AFI on that cover.

Drummerguy123
02-05-2006, 10:08 PM

Oh, God. I've never heard that version but I couldn't imagine Korn doing the original justice. Actually, I couldn't picture ANYONE doing the original justice. Which part did they cover?

GreenTerror
02-05-2006, 10:35 PM
Offspring ass-raped you.

SmilingBob
02-05-2006, 10:40 PM
Did anyone ever hear the cover of Self Esteem by that cunt that released the Hamster Dance song oh so many years ago? Fucking dreadfull. Can't even remember who they are. I heard it on BBC Radio 1 one time after the release of Americana while doing an interview with Dexter and Noodles.

Fucking terrible.

Also, Papa Roach's cover of Gouge Away is crap if only for the fact that they hardly changed it, and Coby Dick/Jacoby Shaddix/Johnny Vodka just CAN'T scream like Frank Black. Ever.

And the Foo Fighters cover of Baker Street. Awfull...

[Edit] : It was the Cuban Boys that ruined Self Esteem. And they were on the same damn album.... bastards..

Drummerguy123
02-05-2006, 10:40 PM
Offspring ass-raped you.

No, I'm not worthy. :(

WebDudette
02-05-2006, 10:47 PM
AFI's version was superior to Offsprings cover without a doubt.

bd007h
02-05-2006, 10:56 PM
don't forget Jessica Simpson's cover of Carly Simon's These Boots Are Made For Walkin'. Fucking pitiful. Didn't Britney Spears butcher some oldies song too?

Rag Doll
02-05-2006, 11:06 PM
don't forget Jessica Simpson's cover of Carly Simon's These Boots Are Made For Walkin'. Fucking pitiful. Didn't Britney Spears butcher some oldies song too?

*These Boots* was actually originally performed by Nancy Sinatra.

Britney sang *I Love Rock N Roll* by Joan Jett. I'm not sure of any others...but that was pretty bad.

bd007h
02-05-2006, 11:09 PM
*These Boots* was actually originally performed by Nancy Sinatra.

That's what I meant. I knew it was a daughter of a well known singer.

bd007h
02-05-2006, 11:11 PM

Nine Inch Nails did the original. Johnny Cash killed the song.

Mustard Plug's cover of The Freshmen by The Verve Pipe sucked too. No one should ever touch that masterpiece. Tori Amos' cover of Smells Like Teen Spirit is just awful as well.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
02-05-2006, 11:12 PM
Yeah, I'll be another hater and say Offspring's cover of Totalimmortal suck huge balls. It sounded forced. There's no emotion in Dexter's voice, you can't hear the bass at all, and the guitars sounded watered down. AFI's has better vocals, more audible bass, which is really strong to the song I'd say, and the guitar is amazing.

bd007h
02-05-2006, 11:23 PM

And the Foo Fighters cover of Baker Street. Awfull...

in my opinion that's one of the BEST covers ever

bd007h
02-05-2006, 11:27 PM
Johnny Cash covered Nine Inch Nails. But I would agree that Johnny Cash's version is better.

didn't see your post, but like I said when I corrected him, Johnny Cash's version was awful.

XYlophonetreeZ
02-05-2006, 11:30 PM
Ahh, fuck. I mixed that up. I've become all that I hate.

bd007h
02-05-2006, 11:31 PM
so which version did you really mean was terrible?

Yatesy
02-06-2006, 06:58 AM
The Offspring covering Territorial Pissings, that was really bad.

ruroken
02-06-2006, 08:40 AM
I hate Madonna for that song.
Uh...I dun know about crappy covers, but I know about songs that blow the original version away.
Green Day's My Generation > The Who's
MSI's Tom Sawyer > Whoever...

Jakebert
02-06-2006, 08:52 AM
Green Day's My Generation > The Who's

I like Green Day, but no. Just no.

Andy
02-06-2006, 08:55 AM
There was a ska version of YMCA I heard once. RUB-UB-UB-ISH!

JohnnyNemesis
02-06-2006, 09:07 AM

*blinks* Excuse me?

Dude, they turned one of my already favorite songs ever into almost crap. I was obsessed with Totalimmortal...then Offspring covered it...and fuck, they almost ruined it.

They didn't even bother to do anything interesting with it. The only difference at all were the vocals, which sucked in comparison.

I thought Foo Fighter's covering "Baker Street" was kinda decent. And Mustard Plug's version of "The Freshman" was AWESOME I thought...

My Gay Uncle covering Juvenile's "Back That Ass Up" was kinda good even beyoind the comedic aspect of it because of the way they fucked around with those guitars. The song overall is horrible, but man, those guitars were sweet....

Oh, and I changed the thread title to more accurately reflect what this thread has become. I hope you don't mind, Simona!

Yatesy
02-06-2006, 10:47 AM
Bad covers that I don't think have been mentioned includes MCR + The used's cover of Under Pressure, I really find it hard to listen to the original one now and also I hate the dance cover of Poison. Anyway, good covers includes Foo's covers of Baker Street, Darling Nikki & Requiem.

Jakebert
02-06-2006, 10:51 AM
didn't see your post, but like I said when I corrected him, Johnny Cash's version was awful.

No. Johnny Cash's version added a lot of depth to it that NIN's version couldn't even come close to.

Yatesy
02-06-2006, 10:58 AM
The NiN version is better than the Johnny Cash version. The Johnny Cash version is a bit shit.

bd007h
02-06-2006, 11:25 AM
some band covered all the small things for "band camp" soundtrack and it blew

not like the original was anything special to begin with.

Yatesy
02-06-2006, 11:26 AM
I've just come to the conclusion that Children of Bodom's cover of Rebel Yell sort of blows.

All About Eve
02-06-2006, 11:38 AM
I heard the A Perfect Circle cover of a Depeche Mode song (don't remember which)(zomg, a Depeche Mode cover?!) a while back, and it sucked.

Yatesy
02-06-2006, 12:02 PM
They also covered John Lennon's Imagine, can't say I liked it.

notoriousdoc
02-06-2006, 12:17 PM
:eek:

BUT IT'S MOTHERFUCKING JOHNNY CASH!

Also, MCR's cover of Astrozombies is bad enough for them to be shot. Hell, they deserve to be shot anyway

the_GoDdEsS
02-06-2006, 12:45 PM
Oh, and I changed the thread title to more accurately reflect what this thread has become. I hope you don't mind, Simona!

Heh, and I was wondering whether I was drunk and forgot the exact title of my thread. :P Thank you, I think it does reflect what's it turned out like.

WebDudette
02-06-2006, 12:53 PM
I heard the A Perfect Circle cover of a Depeche Mode song (don't remember which)(zomg, a Depeche Mode cover?!) a while back, and it sucked.

I don't think I've ever heard a decnet Depeche Mode Cover.

bd007h
02-06-2006, 01:10 PM
:eek:

BUT IT'S MOTHERFUCKING JOHNNY CASH!

yeah, BUT HE COVERED MOTHER FUCKING TRENT REZNOR

killer_queen
02-06-2006, 01:14 PM
Are you comparing Johnny Cash with Trent Reznor?

JohnnyNemesis
02-06-2006, 01:17 PM

Who really isn't a big deal.

I don't think I've ever heard a decnet Depeche Mode Cover.

They've been covered millions of times, and some are amazing. Check these out, especially the ones marked with an asterisk:

Failure: "Enjoy The Silence"*
No Use For A Name: "Enjoy The Silence"*
H.I.M: "Enjoy The Silence"
Smashing Pumpkins: "Never Let Me Down Again"
Nullsleep: "Photographic"
In Flames: "Everything Counts"
Chevelle: "It's No Good"*

bd007h
02-06-2006, 01:18 PM
Are you comparing Johnny Cash with Trent Reznor?

yeah. And if you've got a problem with that, keep it to yourself, because I don't give a shit about what you think.

bd007h
02-06-2006, 01:19 PM
Who really isn't a big deal.

Well, in my opinion, neither is Johnny Cash, but each to their own.

killer_queen
02-06-2006, 01:19 PM
Awwww! Now you made me sad... :( :( :(

bd007h
02-06-2006, 01:20 PM
I'm not that stupid to actually believe you.

WebDudette
02-06-2006, 01:20 PM
Smashing Pumpkins: "Never Let Me Down Again"
Nullsleep: "Photographic"
In Flames: "Everything Counts"
Chevelle: "It's No Good"*

Thanks, I'll check them out.

JohnnyNemesis
02-06-2006, 01:21 PM
I'm not that stupid to actually believe you.

That's the thing about sarcasm. You're not meant to believe it...

If you two wanna battle though, please take it to PM and not here.

killer_queen
02-06-2006, 01:32 PM
lolololol...

Anyway, about Korn's Another Brick on the Wall cover, it's obvious that it's not better than the original version (even mentioning it is funny) and I know, a cover must be better than the original version or at least put something new&nice things in the song but I think nobody would cover it better than Korn.

And about Korn's Word Up cover, I hated the original version of it, Cameo was such a talentless fag. Korn's version is soo much better than the original one. At lest it makes me wanna dance.

And (for the second time) no matter how talented they are musicians should be away from ABBA. It's impossible to cover their songs. They just sound good when they singed by ABBA.

WebDudette
02-06-2006, 01:35 PM
This will probably cause some controversy but I like System of a Downs cover of "Snowblind" more then the original. I would agree I liked Korn's "Word Up" alot more.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
02-06-2006, 01:40 PM
I like Offspring's cover of "I Wanna Be Sedated" originally by the Ramones. And Alkaline Trio's "Wash Away" originally by T.S.O.L. Cameo did "Word Up!" and Korn redid that one and I really love that song. Soundgarden did "Come Together", a Beatles cover.

I don't think I have heard a bad cover, unless I didn't know it was a cover. But then I remembered MxPx redid Aqua's "Barbie Girl".

darko
02-06-2006, 01:53 PM
Erm i kinda like Kidney theives version of Patsy Clines' Crazy

was absoulity disgusted with Jessica Simpson's version on these boots....

XYlophonetreeZ
02-06-2006, 01:56 PM
If we're also doing best covers now, I very much agree with KoRn's version of Word Up. I effin' love it.

Blink-182's "Another Girl, Another Planet" surprised the hell out of me. Not only is it a fantastic cover, but it's the best thing they've ever done.

Sponge's version of "Isolation" by John Lennon and Social Distortion's version of "Under My Thumb" by the Stones are two of my all-time favorite covers. And The Foo Fighters' cover of "Down in the Park" by Gary Numan. Their cover of Baker Street? OK, but not great.

Offspring covers, for the most part, kinda suck. They don't really take too many risks and leave the song the way it is. I'd have to say that their two best are Next to You and Sin City though.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
02-06-2006, 02:41 PM
They've been covered millions of times, and some are amazing. Check these out, especially the ones marked with an asterisk:

Enjoy The Silence is one of my absolute DM favorites. Hearing those covers made me cry. They're soo fucking terrible. Especially HIM's. Ewwwwww. Evergreen Terrage covered it too....which sucks.

the_GoDdEsS
02-06-2006, 02:43 PM
Eugh, HIM covered Enjoy the Silence?? I'm not even going to imagine.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
02-06-2006, 02:45 PM
Eugh, HIM covered Enjoy the Silence?? I'm not even going to imagine.

Yeah, it was terrible. I have to listen to the original right now so I can be clean again.

Revolver-2005?
02-06-2006, 03:51 PM
ALot of Me First And The Gimme Gimmes covers are pretty bad, although some are so good like Walking On Sunshine is great

and I Can See Clearly Now covered by Screeching Weasel was pretty bad

Tired_Of_You
02-06-2006, 03:56 PM
Screeching Weasel covered a Cranberries song. Their cover sucks so much. The original song is way better.

nameless
02-06-2006, 03:58 PM
i don't know i liked her version of green day's basket case but other than that all her songs suck

her cover of basket case sounded like an incredibly bad pop idol version!

JohnnyNemesis
02-06-2006, 04:13 PM
This will probably cause some controversy but I like System of a Downs cover of "Snowblind" more then the original. I would agree I liked Korn's "Word Up" alot more.

System Od A Down's version of "Snowblind" is a masterpiece. Might be the best I've ever heard.

Enjoy The Silence is one of my absolute DM favorites. Hearing those covers made me cry. They're soo fucking terrible. Especially HIM's. Ewwwwww. Evergreen Terrage covered it too....which sucks.

I thought those three covers were amazing.

bd007h
02-06-2006, 04:18 PM
Didn't God Lives Underwater do a Depeche Mode cover? I haven't heard it, so I can't judge it.

JohnnyNemesis
02-06-2006, 04:20 PM
They did; they covered "Fly on the Windscreen", but I don't think they did it justice.

0r4ng3
02-06-2006, 04:38 PM
I hate it when the Vandals cover those really old songs, like "So Long, Farewell", or "Summer Lovin'". Nothing wrong with those songs, but they just get annoying, because they always have to have at least one on their (older) CDs. The only one I kinda liked was "Supercalifragilisticexpailidotious" because it sounds almost exactly like We're Only Gonna Die by Bad Religion.

Andy
02-06-2006, 05:31 PM
The best covers I've ever heard, and can remember:

Tainted Love, by the Living End
Hotel California, by someone who I have no idea
I Believe I Can Fly, by Me First And The Gimme Gimmes
More to come

Revolver-2005?
02-06-2006, 05:51 PM
Tainted Love, by the Living End

thats the best cover ever, they made it an almost perfect song

ruroken
02-06-2006, 06:03 PM
Are...are you serious? Holy shit, dude, the original was the crapiest NIN song I have ever heard. It was...horrible. I mean, how could anyone consider that a song? Johnny Cash turned it into music. Shit into music. Like water into wine. Like Jesus. Only, musical.

bouncingcoles
02-06-2006, 06:18 PM
i think the korn cover of another brick in the wall by pink floyd was possibly the worst idea iv ever heard. but thats just my opinion.

bd007h
02-06-2006, 06:18 PM
Hurt is one of my favorite NIN songs. Johnny Cash shouldn't have touched it.

bouncingcoles
02-06-2006, 06:19 PM
Are...are you serious? Holy shit, dude, the original was the crapiest NIN song I have ever heard. It was...horrible. I mean, how could anyone consider that a song? Johnny Cash turned it into music. Shit into music. Like water into wine. Like Jesus. Only, musical.

dude, i cant believe you think that. the nin version is a fucking classic. the johnny cash version was pretty good too but you cant beat the original

bouncingcoles
02-06-2006, 06:20 PM
Hurt is one of my favorite NIN songs. Johnny Cash shouldn't have touched it.

its by far one of the best nin songs ever. but i think the johnny cash version is great too! but it cant touch the original!

bouncingcoles
02-06-2006, 06:21 PM
i think a great cover is the sweet dreams cover by marilyn manson

ruroken
02-06-2006, 06:24 PM
All I heard from the NIN version was the boring, slow, crap guitar and a long, POS screeching sound that I've made like 20 times by messing around with Sound Recorder. What's worse is that it lasted like 6 minutes!

Jakebert
02-06-2006, 06:40 PM

AND TRENT REZNOR REALLY ISN'T AS GREAT AS EVERYONE SAYS HE IS!!!!!!!!111eleven.

Really, the original version of the song is boring and static, and basically the same thing over and over again without going anywhere at all. Plus, like already mentioned, the obnoxious beeps and noises in the background that may add to some of his other songs and keeps them from sounding too dull or generic, just ruin it by distracting from the actual song itself. Also, something that's always bugged me about Trent really kills this song: the stupid computerized vocals take away every single bit of emotion the song could have had and just make them flat and dull.

Cash's version, on the other hand, isn't as static. For one, the intro and guitar during the verses sets an amazing mood for the song, one that no computer buzzing could ever recreate. And the song goes into an incredible climax towards the end, which adds incredibly to the mood of the songs. Plus Cash's voice sounds incredible and powerful on it, not weak and obscured by a computer.

And, the person who said the thing about the Vandals, I like that they do older songs like that instead of just doing corny one-hit wonder radio songs like most punk bands do. Sure, a lot of it comes down to the same novelty value, but it's a lot more original to pick out an old song from a musical instead of covering "867-5309" for the millionth time.

DeAtHsTaR
02-06-2006, 09:28 PM
its by far one of the best nin songs ever. but i think the johnny cash version is great too! but it cant touch the original!
What? I thought that Johhny Cash originally did Hurt.

bd007h
02-06-2006, 09:29 PM
nope, Nine Inch Nails did it first

WebDudette
02-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Then you thought wrong.

ruroken
02-06-2006, 09:36 PM
Jakebert = Awesome

barangatang
02-06-2006, 09:38 PM
nope, Nine Inch Nails did it first

You've got to be fucking kidding me. I always thought that NIN was covering him. It's that much better.

I agree with roruken on the matter of jakebert.

Drummerguy123
02-06-2006, 09:41 PM
I've never heard either, but just because it is Johnny Cash and they are Nine Inch nails, I'm going to say the Johnny Cash version is better because he was a legend.

ruroken
02-06-2006, 09:51 PM
What are we arguing with bd007h for anyway? We all know he's an idiot who likes shit music, so his opinion shouldn't matter on the subject anyway.

Rag Doll
02-06-2006, 10:11 PM
best cover...the smashing pumpkins doing *you're all i've got tonight* by the cars. fucking awesome.

bd007h
02-06-2006, 10:42 PM
What are we arguing with bd007h for anyway? We all know he's an idiot who likes shit music, so his opinion shouldn't matter on the subject anyway.

each to their own

All About Eve
02-07-2006, 10:43 AM
Do Trans-Siberian Orchestra songs count as covers?

Nick_MX
02-07-2006, 12:03 PM
bets cover ever= Megadeth Paranoid

el_monkey
02-07-2006, 12:17 PM

definetly not!
it's sublime with stairway to heaven! great mix of rock ,raggae and ska

Mannen som blev en gris
02-07-2006, 12:25 PM
Yeah, that is a really good one. I don't think it's the best, but damn good. My favourite might be Imperiet's Staten och Kapitalet, or maybe Judas Priest's version of Diamonds And Rust... yeah, they made that one sound awesome. It might be my favourite. Diaaaamonds, diaaaaaaaamonds aaaand ruuuust
I don't know which the worst one is... some of the songs on that Offspring tribute album? Don't think they really count though.
And Limp Bizkit's version of Behind Blue Eyes wasn't that bad imo...

edit: and I kinda like (well, not "kinda", just "like") Marilyn Manson's covers.

XYlophonetreeZ
02-07-2006, 12:37 PM
definetly not!
it's sublime with stairway to heaven! great mix of rock ,raggae and ska
I've never heard that, but I don't even want to think about Sublime doing Stairway to Heaven. Just learning that they did that is the worst thing I've ever heard.

Kerr
02-07-2006, 02:15 PM
I haven't contributed to this topic yet so, worst covers:
Five - We Will Rock You (originally by Queen)
All Saints - Under The Bridge (originally by the RHCP)
The Offspring - Sin City / Territirial Pissings

Good covers:
In Flames - Eye of the Beholder (originally by Metallica)

At the moment I can't think of anymore. Well, Metallica's One was well covered live by Korn.

Nick_MX
02-07-2006, 02:29 PM
ahahaha! i forgot about the Offsrping doing Territorial Pissings! man that was funny! i had that mp3 years ago!

don't think Dexter quite had the voice for it though!

i also really liked Metallica's So What! that was pretty good!

Nirushika6789
02-07-2006, 02:34 PM
ahahaha! i forgot about the Offsrping doing Territorial Pissings! man that was funny! i had that mp3 years ago!

don't think Dexter quite had the voice for it though!
!
Yea...The Offspring aren't a grunge band so it kinda lost the feeling of the song when they played it...

Still fun though :p

Nick_MX
02-07-2006, 02:36 PM
Yea...The Offspring aren't a grunge band so it kinda lost the feeling of the song when they played it...

Still fun though :p

gotta appreciate the effort though!

i remeber in a kerrang interview once with Greg K, they asked him if his house was bugning down, what 1 album would he rescue....

he said Nirvana's Nevermind, so maybe it was greg's idea?

Nirushika6789
02-07-2006, 03:13 PM
gotta appreciate the effort though!

i remeber in a kerrang interview once with Greg K, they asked him if his house was bugning down, what 1 album would he rescue....

he said Nirvana's Nevermind, so maybe it was greg's idea?
Yea, for sure . It was still a good effort , it's just that they are a completely different genre altogether :)

And yea I read that interview..and it could have been his idea but I think it might have just been spare of the moment...who knows?!

At least they are open to new things :p

bd007h
02-07-2006, 04:25 PM
I think Our Lady Peace's cover of The Beatles' Tomorrow Never Knows is good.

JohnnyNemesis
02-07-2006, 04:41 PM
THANK YOU KERR. I'm so glad I'm not the only person who thinks that The Offspring's cover of Sin City is horrible. My GOD that shit hurts to listen to...

nieh
02-07-2006, 04:50 PM

Satisfaction. *shudders* Worst cover ever.

Liar. Cash's version >>>>>>> NIN version

I'm actually quite fond of Dynamite Hack's cover of Boys in the Hood even if it's mostly for the novelty of it.

And I heard Korn's cover of Another Brick in the Wall. It's obviously not as good as the original, but it didn't totally blow like a lot of other covers do, so it'd be difficult to call it one of the worst.

DeAtHsTaR
02-07-2006, 04:58 PM
THANK YOU KERR. I'm so glad I'm not the only person who thinks that The Offspring's cover of Sin City is horrible. My GOD that shit hurts to listen to...
I think it's way better than the original, and I love AC/DC.

Jakebert
02-07-2006, 06:44 PM

I don't think it's that bad, but I certanly don't like it.

JohnnyNemesis
02-07-2006, 06:49 PM
http://www.coversproject.com/

An online database of cover songs. Interesting stuff. Enjoy.

All About Eve
02-07-2006, 06:51 PM
No one answered my TSO question.

nieh
02-07-2006, 06:55 PM
No one answered my TSO question.

Do they normally just play the classical song like metal with vocals overtop? Or do they take bits and pieces of classical songs and write their own stuff to go around it?

All About Eve
02-07-2006, 07:00 PM
Well for Beethoven's last night, they'd play the actual song with added guitars and drums, but not change the actual song. Most of them, if not all, still have Beethoven listed as the composer in the media player. A couple had vocals, also. But generally speaking, it's not changed, just added onto.

nieh
02-07-2006, 07:01 PM
Then yeah, those would pass for covers.

All About Eve
02-07-2006, 07:06 PM
Trans-Siberian Orchestra for the win.

bd007h
02-07-2006, 08:01 PM
Trans-Siberian Orchestra is awesome. I saw them last december.

killer_queen
02-08-2006, 04:50 AM
Limp Bizkit's Faith cover was even worse than Behind Blue Eyes cover.

And George Michael's Somebody to Love was just perfect. Nobody could cover it better than George Michael.

Andy
02-08-2006, 05:54 AM
I actually quite liked the Limp Bizkit faith cover. Granted, I haven't heard it since I stopped listening to them, about 2 years ago.

darko
02-08-2006, 06:54 AM
Has any ever heard Pantera version of PLant Caravan by Black Sabbath? Its actually quite good

Britney Spears also murdered 'I love Rock and Roll'

PsychoticAndInsomniac
02-08-2006, 07:01 AM
I can't think of a single "best" or "worst" cover. Nevertheless, I liked the Big In Japan cover by the Guano Apes (originally performed by Alphaville), the Sweet Dreams cover by Marilyn Manson and the Losing My Religion cover by that Dutch singer called Anouk.

And I really disliked the Goo Goo Dolls & Limp Bizkit cover of Wish you were here by Pink Floyd or the Fleetwood Mac's Go Your Own Way version by NOFX. Awful, at least in my opinion.

ruroken
02-08-2006, 08:41 AM
The Offspring covered Territorial Pissings?

wtf?

DeAtHsTaR
02-08-2006, 08:59 AM
The Offspring covered Territorial Pissings?

wtf?
It was a live cover.

Yatesy
02-08-2006, 10:20 AM
Has any ever heard Pantera version of PLant Caravan by Black Sabbath? Its actually quite good

Yeah, ia gree it's not bad but nothing special though.

notoriousdoc
02-08-2006, 11:08 AM
AND TRENT REZNOR REALLY ISN'T AS GREAT AS EVERYONE SAYS HE IS!!!!!!!!111eleven.

Really, the original version of the song is boring and static, and basically the same thing over and over again without going anywhere at all. Plus, like already mentioned, the obnoxious beeps and noises in the background that may add to some of his other songs and keeps them from sounding too dull or generic, just ruin it by distracting from the actual song itself. Also, something that's always bugged me about Trent really kills this song: the stupid computerized vocals take away every single bit of emotion the song could have had and just make them flat and dull.

Cash's version, on the other hand, isn't as static. For one, the intro and guitar during the verses sets an amazing mood for the song, one that no computer buzzing could ever recreate. And the song goes into an incredible climax towards the end, which adds incredibly to the mood of the songs. Plus Cash's voice sounds incredible and powerful on it, not weak and obscured by a computer.
I completely agree

And another crap one is G4's version of Bohemian Rhapsody.

Megs
02-08-2006, 12:32 PM
white stripes wacked out version of joss stone's "met a boy" - absolute shit. and i second the above thoughts on G4. the lead singer's voice is too weird and irritating. they'd be alright without him. he ruins everything......everything i tell you!

Kerr
02-08-2006, 01:09 PM
Holy fucking god, I can't believe I nearly forgot: The Presidents' version of Video Killed the Radio Star is just awesome!

bd007h
02-08-2006, 01:14 PM
Holy fucking god, I can't believe I nearly forgot: The Presidents' version of Video Killed the Radio Star is just awesome!

the one that everyone thinks is the offspring

Kerr
02-08-2006, 01:19 PM
Yes, that is the one.

WebDudette
02-08-2006, 04:10 PM
I guess you could almost call Legend of Zelda by Rabbit Joint a cover I love that song.

Drummerguy123
02-08-2006, 04:13 PM
Although I like almost all of their songs, Aerosmith's cover of The Beatles Come Together was just plain awful. They completely ruined the song.

XYlophonetreeZ
02-08-2006, 10:21 PM
white stripes wacked out version of joss stone's "met a boy" - absolute shit. and i second the above thoughts on G4. the lead singer's voice is too weird and irritating. they'd be alright without him. he ruins everything......everything i tell you!
If you're referring to "Fell In Love With a Girl/Boy," then the White Stripes' version was the original. I like both versions in their own ways.

darko
02-10-2006, 05:12 PM
Eleanor Rigby - I prefer Thrice's version to Godhead's Version

Andy
02-10-2006, 05:52 PM
the one that everyone thinks is the offspring
really?! Shit, how can people get that confused? :confused:

Drummerguy123
02-10-2006, 05:55 PM
Eleanor Rigby - I prefer Thrice's version to Godhead's Version

Ew. I couldn't imagine anyone doing the original justice.

darko
02-10-2006, 05:57 PM
well no.....but out of those two I've heard I prefer the Thrice Version