PDA

View Full Version : Fantomas

Camilamazed
02-05-2006, 08:14 PM
WTF has Mike Patton done?

He was totally awesome with faith no more. I got extremely disappointed with his new band.

has anyone listened to a fantomas song?

nieh
02-05-2006, 08:22 PM
I like Suspended Animation, but it took me quite a few listens. Have you ever listened to Mr. Bungle? Their my favorite of Patton's projects. I guess they're kind of a bridge between Faith no More and Fantomas. They have some weird structures and genre-hopping and stuff, but they actually have full blown SONGS where Fantomas tends to just be a quick string of things that never really develop (but still sound really neat)

Camilamazed
02-05-2006, 08:40 PM
Well, I haven't heard to Mr. Bungle. I actually don't know much about Patton's projects. I confess that fantomas is the only one I know (They played here last October). What I didn't like in fantomas is that is a bunch of sounds that suddenly stops and then starts again with patton kind of sreaming. Sounded weird to me.

nieh
02-06-2006, 06:44 AM
They're both pretty weird but Mr. Bungle actually will write full blown songs rather than just quick snippets of stuff stuck together. You'd probably like at least a few of their songs, but I dunno about everything.
You should check out Tomahawk. They're the most normal of his post-Faith no More stuff. They have Patton on vocals, the guitarist from the Jesus Lizard, the drummer from Helmet, the bassist from the Melvins/Cows and it actually does sound kinda like a mixture of all those bands.

Camilamazed
02-06-2006, 08:11 AM
Thank you Nieh, I'm going to check the song. If you say it's totally different from Fantomas I'm sure I'll enjoy.

:)

nieh
02-06-2006, 12:29 PM
If you want a more normal Mr. Bungle song, check out Sweet Charity. For their more "typical" stuff, check out Ars Moriedni and Carry Stress in the Jaw and give them both a few listens before you decide on them. FYI, he DOES scream on occasion, but no where near as often as in Fantomas.

For Tomahawk, check out Rape This Day and...I can't remember any other song titles at the moment. I think Flashback's a good one too.

BREAK
02-06-2006, 05:45 PM
The best Tomahawk songs are "You Can't Win", "God Hates A Coward", "101 North" and "Capt. Midnight" by a long, long shot. This looks like a good time for me to recommend the Jesus Lizard, because they kick ass. Try the songs "Monkey Trick", "Glamorous", "Puss", "Lady Shoes" and "Elegy" for a nice overview of their sound. Mike Patton doesn't sing for them though, sorry.