PDA

View Full Version : Mega Drive Vs Snes

yay
02-06-2006, 09:56 PM
I'm interested to know which one of these classic consoles you preferred? I have to go with the mighty Sega Mega Drive. Mainly because of Sonic, Wonder Boy and heaps of other classics. Snes was great to though.

Am I the only one who thinks even though graphics are certainly improving in video games, New games don't offer the same sort of fun gameplay the old ones did?

Also comment on which consle you favoured between N64, Playstation and the Sega Saturn. Having never played a Saturn, I would have to go with N64 thanks to classics like Zelda, Mario Kart and Golden Eye.

WebDudette
02-06-2006, 10:09 PM
I liked the Snes bett but I never played the Mega Drive to much.

I would also have to go with the N64 Orcarina of time,Smash Bros., Mario Kart, Rampage, Golden Eye.

Paint_It_Black
02-06-2006, 11:25 PM
I greatly preferred the Megadrive, but I am biased because I didn't get much chance to play Nintendo.

The Saturn was crap. I bought one as soon as it was released and deeply regretted not going with Playstation instead. At first it was great, but quickly all the good games were Playstation only. It was claimed that the Saturn couldn't even handle Tomb Raider 2, which deeply irritated me because the first Tomb Raider was one of my favourite games. After the first time I played Resident Evil I knew I had to switch to Playstation. I think I still have my Saturn somewhere, because no one would buy it.

N64 was great for Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and Zelda, but that was about it. I bought one but hardly got any games for it. Playstation was easily the best all round.

I think old games seemed more fun because we were younger. At least, that's why I think I don't enjoy games anywhere near as much as I used to. It's just not the same anymore, but I don't blame the games.

Tizzalicious
02-06-2006, 11:34 PM
Mega Drive!

I have one. It's awesome. Even though I only have 3 games :(

Paint_It_Black
02-06-2006, 11:42 PM
Tizz, which games?

Tizzalicious
02-07-2006, 12:01 AM
Sonic 1, Sonic 2, and Tiny Toons.

I loved Tiny Toons. And Sonic 2, I couldn't beat that annoying iron Sonic though. And then the next one I could do. Grrrr. To this day, I never beat the iron one.

And I thought Sonic 1 was REALLY hard, probably because I had 2 first, so I was used to doing that superspin thing. (No idea about the English word for it)

WebDudette
02-07-2006, 12:06 AM
I remember a Tiny Toons game I had for Genesis I believe. I loved that game.

As much as I like sonic I think the Mario franchise is better. They all suck compared to Zelda though.

Paint_It_Black
02-07-2006, 12:11 AM
Yeah I think Sonic 1 was harder, largely for the reason you mentioned.

The metal sonic isn't that hard to beat :P
I seem to remember just avoiding his attacks then jumping on him repeatedly when you get the chance, being careful not to land on the back. It helped if you could move well in the air and hit him repeatedly without landing.

Funny what you can remember after 12 years.

Tizzalicious
02-07-2006, 12:17 AM
I tried, but I was never able to do it.

Tiny Toons was easy to finish though, in the level right before the ending you could easily get 2 extra lives (is that how you call them?), so 'd always go and get them both, then die once, numerous times in a row, so I'd gain a lot of them.

WebDudette
02-07-2006, 12:21 AM
I recall a game were you started out as a boy and you would find colored balls. if you walked into it you would turn into an animal of that color and have an ability associated with that animal like blue was a blue duck that could fly and purple was a weasle that did something.

One of my favorite SNES games.

T-6005
02-07-2006, 12:23 AM
Sega all the way.

The Mega Drive because of the Sonic series.

The Saturn because of X-men Vs. Street Fighter, one of the great games of all time, and Sonic 3D. Both fucking awesome. For amount of games I'd probable have to go with the Playstation though.

Tizzalicious
02-07-2006, 12:28 AM
My cousin had the coolest mega drive game, it was called Woolies. It was awesome.

I also played Mortal Combat and Street Fighter a lot, I was pretty good at them too, which is surprising, as I usually suck at fighting games.

Paint_It_Black
02-07-2006, 12:31 AM
One of the most memorable old time games for me was called something like Zombies Ate My Neighbours. Totally awesome game. I vividly remember a terrifying guy that smashed through walls to catch you and couldn't be killed.

Yatesy
02-07-2006, 03:51 AM
MegaDrive! It's the only console I really play on these days! :D Oh Sonic 3 + Sonic Knuckles=WIN!

Andy
02-07-2006, 04:05 AM
I only ever played Road Rash and some fighting game set in the streets of New York on the sega, whereas I actually owned a Snes. So, Snes.

platinumpt
02-07-2006, 04:25 AM
The only console I've ever had is Sega Megadrive. And it rocked! Sonic series were great. Haha Tizz that iron sonic messed a lot with me too, I had a hard time trying to beat it. Mostly because you couldn't get any rings on that final level :\ but I still think Sonic 2 is harder than Sonic 1, I've finished Sonic 1 very soon after I got it, and the problems with the final bosses on Sonic 2 made me have to play it for longer. Sonic 3 was also great, but waaaay easier, if you played the previous ones first. There was this one game though that I never finished, because I always died trying, and it was a big game with no chance to save game. It was called the Last Battle.

Tizzalicious
02-07-2006, 04:30 AM
Aaah yes, no rings! That must have been the problem. I thought that very final boss, after the iron one, was very very easy though!

platinumpt
02-07-2006, 04:33 AM
Yes, it's easier than Iron Sonic, as long as you know how to beat it! There were certain times he went up, and then tried to hit you while falling to the ground. As soon as he hit the floor, you had to hit him in his nose. I took a while to realize that :o

Paint_It_Black
02-07-2006, 04:34 AM
I only ever played Road Rash and some fighting game set in the streets of New York on the sega

Road Rash was awesome. I had forgotten all about it. Road Rash 3 was by far the best, though there was a Road Rash game for the playstation that had some nice moments.

The Talking Pie
02-07-2006, 05:24 AM
Megadrive. Without a doubt. I still regularly set aside six hours from a day to complete the Sonic games. They're just so awesome, even now.

However, having said that, Super Mario World was the best game on SNES, and definately of its era. I feel it was surpassed only by the most playable and fun game of all time: Mario64.

Jakebert
02-07-2006, 01:23 PM
SNES. I loved the Donkey Kong Country series. Those games were so addicting.

But, I agree with the Talking Pie that Super Mario World was just plain awesome. I just got an emulator for that game alone, and I still love it all the same, even though I'm stuck right now.

Nick_MX
02-07-2006, 01:25 PM
megadrive, easy.

sonic>mario

Sinister
02-07-2006, 01:26 PM
SNES for me.

The Legend of Zelda : A Link to the Past
Super Mario World
Mario Paint
F-Zero
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario RPG
etc.

Nick_MX
02-07-2006, 01:45 PM
SNES for me.

The Legend of Zelda : A Link to the Past
Super Mario World
Mario Paint
F-Zero
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario RPG
etc.

i'd agree with zelda as of the N64, fucking love that game and the wind waker, wa snever much of a fan of the 2-d games.

SaiKYoU
02-07-2006, 02:29 PM
SNES FOREVER! Nintendo style ruled since NES to the release of PSX, and that period was the most effective in the evolution os videogames... so without Nintendo, the world now would be a sure chaos... :eek:

nameless
02-07-2006, 03:03 PM
i never had anything by nintendo until the 64 came out! i will have to say the mega drive!

the_offsprings_monkey
02-07-2006, 03:27 PM
I love both, but I'm gonna have to go with Megadrive because of games like

NHL95, battletoads, Aladdin, Brian Lara Cricket and last but not least the MIGHTY Altered Beast!

0r4ng3
02-07-2006, 03:39 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and assume the Mega Drive is the Genesis. In that case, Mega Drive for the win. Sonic can kick Mario's ass anyday.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
02-07-2006, 04:15 PM
SNES, because I haven't played the Mega Drive. I have played SNES at my cousin's house so that is how I got that. Where would the Genesis stand? I would easily pick that one, I had it and loved it very much. On that I still love playing Sonic 1, 2, and 3. Road Rash II was one of the greatest games of all time.

yay
02-07-2006, 04:25 PM
SNES, because I haven't played the Mega Drive. I have played SNES at my cousin's house so that is how I got that. Where would the Genesis stand? I would easily pick that one, I had it and loved it very much. On that I still love playing Sonic 1, 2, and 3. Road Rash II was one of the greatest games of all time.I presume you live in the United States? The Mega Drive was called the Genesis in The United States due to licensing issues.

The games I had on Mega Drive were:
*Golden Axe (Excellent)
*Streets Of Rage (Excellent)
*Revenge of Shinobi (Excellent)
*Super Hang On
*Columns
*World Cup Italia 90
*Wonder Boy In Monster World (The Best Game Ever!!)
*Altered Beast
*Spiderman VS Kingpin
*LHX Attack Chopper
*Incredible Hulk (Awesome!!)
*Super Thunder Blade
*Spiderman VS XMEN
*Lotus Turbo
*B.O.B
*The Haunting (Awesome)
*Sonic 1
*Sonic 2 (Finished Last Week)
*Sonic and Knuckles

When I bought my PS2 my dad threw out my Mega Drive I recently found out. I went searching on the internet to buy another one, and found out Sega released a game called "Sonic Mega Collection" on PS2, XBOX and Gamecube which has all the old Sonic Games of the Mega Drive and Game Gear consoles, I bought it straight away and it's so good, everything has been left in tact, except for the fact you can now save your game whenever you want!!

As for the old games not available, I downloaded an emulator and all the games I can remember I had. I have been glued to my computer since I got it.
If anyone wants to know where to get the games or the Emulators from (For N64, Sega Mega Drive or SNES) post in this thread and I will provide direct links to games and upload the emulators.

TheUnholyNightbringer
02-07-2006, 05:58 PM
To this day, I never beat the iron one.

You're so lame. =P

All About Eve
02-07-2006, 06:03 PM
I'm going to have to go with SNES. Granted, I never played the megadrive much, but SNES had FFV, FFVI, Dragon Quest V, Breath of Fire... etc. I <3 those games wif mouth.

As far as the others, N64 of course. Both Zelda games were great (Ocarina being better, of course), Super Smash Brothers, Mario Kart, Goldeneye, and actually Paper Mario and Pokemon Snap were really fun games. Kirby 64 was quite decent as well.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
02-07-2006, 06:35 PM
I presume you live in the United States? The Mega Drive was called the Genesis in The United States due to licensing issues.

Oh in that case, Mega Drive completely. I love that so much. It was a major part of my childhood.

Best games:
Road Rash II
Sonic 1, 2, and 3.
Toe Jam And Earl!
Dr. Robotniks mean bean machine.
This one tank game I forgot what it was called.

Jebus
02-07-2006, 08:29 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and assume the Mega Drive is the Genesis. In that case, Mega Drive for the win. Sonic can kick Mario's ass anyday.
assume? you know you went to wikipedia.

The Talking Pie
02-08-2006, 12:52 AM
Oh come now, why the quibbling over the Megadrive/Genesis but not the SNES/Super Famicom?

Also, Sega's made more systems than that.

T-6005
02-08-2006, 01:24 AM
It's too bad the Saturn didn't have more success. I owned one for years and it was easily my favorite console ever. Lack of games was possibly the only detracting factor, but all of the ones it did have were fucking awesome.

Yatesy
02-08-2006, 04:21 AM
The only console I've ever had is Sega Megadrive. And it rocked! Sonic series were great. Haha Tizz that iron sonic messed a lot with me too, I had a hard time trying to beat it. Mostly because you couldn't get any rings on that final level :\ but I still think Sonic 2 is harder than Sonic 1, I've finished Sonic 1 very soon after I got it, and the problems with the final bosses on Sonic 2 made me have to play it for longer. Sonic 3 was also great, but waaaay easier, if you played the previous ones first. There was this one game though that I never finished, because I always died trying, and it was a big game with no chance to save game. It was called the Last Battle.

Yeah, Sonic 2 was solid but I did it in the end. Sonic 3 is really easy too, I did Sonic 3 & Knuckles with all 3 characters in a week, 100%!

0r4ng3
02-08-2006, 02:32 PM
assume? you know you went to wikipedia.
Actually, I didn't (kind of). I remember looking at Dragonforce's wikipedia page, and it said they had a "Mega Drive (or Sega Genesis in the States)" reference in some lyrics. That's how I know.