PDA

View Full Version : Hey, theres a big thing goin on at my school...

ZSTEIN
02-07-2006, 02:38 PM
...that has to do with myspace, everybody's favorute online community. What happened is, a bunch of people were found on there with pictures of themselves and their friends around or consuming alcohol, and now they are all getting in big trouble. The thing is, does the school have the right to go on a non-school related site and take school action against them? Can they be condemed just because they were holding a beer and not nesesarily drinking one? I don't know...but the whole thing seems wrong to me.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
02-07-2006, 02:40 PM
...that has to do with myspace, everybody's favorute online community. What happened is, a bunch of people were found on there with pictures of themselves and their friends around or consuming alcohol, and now they are all getting in big trouble. The thing is, does the school have the right to go on a non-school related site and take school action against them? Can they be condemed just because they were holding a beer and not nesesarily drinking one? I don't know...but the whole thing seems wrong to me.

I don't think the school can punish the kids. They have the right to tell parents though.

Tijs
02-07-2006, 03:04 PM
If it was outside school times or property, I don't think the school is allowed to take any actions what so ever.

Kerr
02-07-2006, 03:18 PM
If it was outside school times or property, I don't think the school is allowed to take any actions what so ever.
True - of course, due to the legal age being 18, no alcohol is allowed in the School. Teachers, however, know that sixth-formers (and even younger pupils) still go out drinking.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
02-07-2006, 03:21 PM
True - of course, due to the legal age being 18, no alcohol is allowed in the School. Teachers, however, know that sixth-formers (and even younger pupils) still go out drinking.

being in Minnesota, here in the states the legal drinking age is 21. And the school shouldn't do anything to the kids. I don't even know why they were on myspace. They could contact parents though.

sKratch
02-07-2006, 03:23 PM
I know that in high school where I grew up, if you commited a felony you would see reprecussions in school. I guess along that line of reasoning, they can punish you for drinking.

Nirushika6789
02-07-2006, 03:24 PM
Yea that's what I thought

nameless
02-07-2006, 04:06 PM
like other said, the school wont do anythign themselves unless the pictures were taking while they were at school!

coke_a_holic
02-07-2006, 04:14 PM
What kind of idiots would have pictures of themselves drinking alcohol on the internet when they're underage? Nonetheless that they were drinking IN school. wtf.

Nineteen Seventy Nine
02-07-2006, 05:17 PM
They shouldn't be punished under law either though.

Endymion
02-07-2006, 05:24 PM
drinking under age is hardly a punishable offense. what, drunk kids get to spend the night in a holding cell. that's it. photos of kids drinking doesn't mean shit. and no, the school can't do anything. the school board would get their asses sued out their noses if they tried.

[edit] unless, of course, if this is a private school. in that case they can get kicked out for sneezing.

0r4ng3
02-07-2006, 05:24 PM
This reminds me of a news story I heard a while ago. This one kid started a website, bashing a teacher (or principal), and anyone could put their own comments. He was suspended, but then he sued the school, and won. I'm sure that whoever drank the alcohol is safe.

Though, this has to do with underage drinking, which could be a different story.

TheUnholyNightbringer
02-07-2006, 06:39 PM
How would they prove they were drinking? Sure, if they were holding bottles of alcohol. Big deal, doesn't prove they drank it. And how would they prove it was really alcohol in the bottle? Could've been an empty bottle they found and filled up with water, pretending it was vodka, to look hardcore on MySpace. Kids are stupid like that.

All About Eve
02-07-2006, 06:49 PM
How would they prove they were drinking? Sure, if they were holding bottles of alcohol. Big deal, doesn't prove they drank it. And how would they prove it was really alcohol in the bottle? Could've been an empty bottle they found and filled up with water, pretending it was vodka, to look hardcore on MySpace. Kids are stupid like that.

"You can't prove that I was actually drinking the beer."
"Your caption says, 'The beer I was drinking!!lolz1'."
"Objection!"

T-6005
02-07-2006, 06:59 PM
I half expected some idiot from GOD to come here and go "i no rite?!?"

Jakebert
02-07-2006, 07:02 PM
If they had the beer, they were most likely drinking it, and I don't blame anyone for thinking that because they obviously wanted people to think the same thing.

I don't think that they can directly punish them unless the site was viewed by other students at school. The most they can do outside of that is contact the parents, which I think they have every right in the world to do.

I have nothing against underage drinking, but I think if you're dumb enough to take pictures of yourself drinking, you shouldn't be upset about getting caught, it's your own goddamn fault. If you're doing something illegal and get caught, don't get mad at the people who caught you because you took the risk of that when you made the decision to do it.

TheUnholyNightbringer
02-07-2006, 07:03 PM
I totally agree with that. But I don't see how they can prove it. It needs to be proven beyond reasonable doubt.

XYlophonetreeZ
02-07-2006, 07:14 PM
This same thing happened at NC State University. Some bitchy RA tracked down a bunch of her underage residents on Facebook and wrote them all up for drinking in their pictures. It IS pretty good evidence that someone has been drinking. It was a shock the first time, sure. But from now on, it will be entirely the fault of people who post pictures of themselves drinking underage, because they know what they risk. I think that the RA in the aforementioned case is an unspeakable bitch for going out of her way just to see if anyone had been drinking. But from now on, evidence on the Internet will probably be considered legit for this stuff.

WebDudette
02-07-2006, 07:21 PM
Hah, if they did that at my school so many kids would get busted.

I have a teacher on my friends list. She knows most of her students drink infact she almost encourages it. " If the police come make sure you run and fast." - Mrs. Santangelo. But she threatened to kill anyone who drinks and drives.

OffspringPsycho
02-07-2006, 07:28 PM
I would just tell 'em I photoshopped the photo to make it look like I was drinking :o

ZSTEIN
02-07-2006, 08:50 PM
you see, i totally agree with you guys 100% about how they shouldnt get in any trouble at all, but guess what i just figured out??? A kid got kicked off the hockey team, and a chick got kicked out NHS (National Honor's Society) on the basis of these pictures! whats you're take on that?

by the way, it's not a private school, and its located in in Minnesota where the legal drinking age is 21

I've also heard rumors that they like printed off every myspace profile they could get their hands on before people have a chance to delete them, the school aslo blocked the site so know one could get on there at school, but i found out you could just go to music.myspace.com and get in from there.

SCHOOLS SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO TAKE ANY ACTION BASED ON OUT OF SCHOOL EVENTS OR PICTURES!

Jakebert
02-09-2006, 01:36 PM
Why shouldn't they get in trouble? They made the choice to drink, they made the dumb choice to take pictures of it, they made the even dumber choice to post them on the internet.

If you want to do something illegal or against the rules, that's fine with me as long as you arn't hurting someone, but if you get caught, you can't blame the person who caught you, especially if you were showing off how you did it and openly flaunting it like that. I leave certain classes when we have substitutes and go hang out in the bathroom or something, but if I were to get caught, I know that it's my fault because I fully knew that I wasn't supposed to be doing it in the first place.

The school has no real justification for punishing them, but I think that it's fully right in doing so. It'll teach them to stop being stupid asses and showing off that they drink to look like badasses. As for the NHS thing, yeah, that's fully justified that they kicked them out of that because NHS is different than school. Certain merits have to be met to be involved with that, and I'm thinking being caught drinking might be a problem.

Nina
02-10-2006, 12:14 AM
Even if they were allowed to do that...it's the stupidest things ever (unless it's a private school, because then they ARE supposed to take care of the kids all the time). It's not like it will change anything. So many underaged people drink, and I am also refering to Germany, which basically means that 15 year olds and under drink. No one can do anything about it. Tracking down kids on the net is just fucking lame.