PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Magic Re-Recorded, eh?

endlesst0m
02-07-2006, 11:29 PM
Hmm, I don't think anyone made this thread yet...

Dirty Magic Re-Recorded? I wonder why they would do that? Have any of you guys heard that live version of Dirty Magic where they play it way faster then normally? Maybe they recorded it that way for the new album. That would be interesting...

DeAtHsTaR
02-07-2006, 11:35 PM

Dirty Magic Re-Recorded? I wonder why they would do that? Have any of you guys heard that live version of Dirty Magic where they play it way faster then normally? Maybe they recorded it that way for the new album. That would be interesting...
I sure hope so! No matter what, it should be better than the original because the recording quality is so much better now.

Hypodermic_89
02-07-2006, 11:39 PM
does anyone have that live performance so that he/she could upload it?

OffspringPsycho
02-07-2006, 11:39 PM
The accoustic version of dirty magic is possibly one of Offspring's greatest songs in my opinion. I truly hope they didn't make the song too "splintery" if you know what I mean.

endlesst0m
02-07-2006, 11:41 PM
does anyone have that live performance so that he/she could upload it?

somebody posted it just a few days ago...i only heard it for the first time like 3 or 4 days ago...

I'm thinking it's gonna sound like that...I don't know what else would motivate them to re-record that song, unless they just wanted to do it because they think it sounds better at a faster tempo.

DeAtHsTaR
02-07-2006, 11:53 PM
somebody posted it just a few days ago...i only heard it for the first time like 3 or 4 days ago...

I'm thinking it's gonna sound like that...I don't know what else would motivate them to re-record that song, unless they just wanted to do it because they think it sounds better at a faster tempo.
That live clip was from 1995 I believe.

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
02-07-2006, 11:56 PM
^ yeah it was, but i reckon (just guessing) they read our thread about how we liked the live 95 version of Dirty Magic, so they decided to pump up the tempo and stuff and make it similar to the live 95 one? :)

Llamas
02-07-2006, 11:57 PM
he said they did it a year ago, so I doubt that.

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
02-08-2006, 12:01 AM
My bad, i must have read something wrong :)

DeAtHsTaR
02-08-2006, 12:04 AM
^ yeah it was, but i reckon (just guessing) they read our thread about how we liked the live 95 version of Dirty Magic, so they decided to pump up the tempo and stuff and make it similar to the live 95 one? :)
He said they recorded it last year.

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
02-08-2006, 12:09 AM
I'm aware that i stuffed up, thanks. :D

Hux
02-08-2006, 01:56 AM
Have any of you guys heard that live version of Dirty Magic where they play it way faster then normally? Maybe they recorded it that way for the new album. That would be interesting...
http://www.offspringbootlegs.co.uk/audio/glastonbury95/Dirty%20Magic(glastonbury95).mp3

Are you talking about this?

If they recorded like this it would be awesome but I don't think it will be, possibly similar.

Piedude
02-08-2006, 02:29 AM
Could just be a more professional recording of the acoustic version on the greatest hits, But that would still be good.

wazzup22
02-08-2006, 05:22 AM
Hopefully this will mean more Dirty Magic live YAY :D

dirty_magic
02-08-2006, 06:40 AM
yay! dirty fucking magic!

endlesst0m
02-08-2006, 09:51 AM
http://www.offspringbootlegs.co.uk/audio/glastonbury95/Dirty%20Magic(glastonbury95).mp3

Are you talking about this?

If they recorded like this it would be awesome but I don't think it will be, possibly similar.

Yeah, that's the one I'm talking about...maybe they wanted to recorded it the fast way, like they did there...

punker
02-08-2006, 10:30 AM
i wish, maybe it could come as a hidden track in the new record

notoriousdoc
02-08-2006, 10:55 AM
Just for the record, it's spelt:

Acoustic

Not "accoustic" or "acustic"

ashtray_girl_1
02-08-2006, 12:46 PM
it should defenitly be released as a single also and hopefully the video will be shot! :D

there's one little thing that bothers me about the new version :does dexter's voice sound as beautiful as in the original?! you know. kinda sleepy and depressed?

Camilamazed
02-08-2006, 12:57 PM
The first thing that popped my mind is that he is talking about DM accoustic, or am I wrong????

ashtray_girl_1
02-08-2006, 01:04 PM
yeah, i first thought of that too but we were wrong probably

Camilamazed
02-08-2006, 01:06 PM
Now I wonder how DM is going to be..... :)

Original prankstA
02-08-2006, 01:56 PM

the new album will contain new stuff

DeAtHsTaR
02-08-2006, 04:09 PM
the new album will contain new stuff
Duh, but it will also have a Dirty Magic re-recording, probably as a hidden track. They could still release it as a single like Next to You, but that wouldn't be good. If they release it as a single it should be a track on the album.

DeAtHsTaR
02-08-2006, 04:10 PM
The first thing that popped my mind is that he is talking about DM accoustic, or am I wrong????
No, he's not talking about that. Everyone knows about that and it wasn't a secret at all. He said, "Oh yeah, and did I tell you guys we re-recorded Dirty Magic last year?"

alistair13
02-08-2006, 08:13 PM
i'm thinking that they have dirty magic on there because the songs might be themed on more intelligent ideas than previous albums

Nineteen Seventy Nine
02-08-2006, 08:21 PM
as I mentioned earlier

Yeah I'm glad they are re-recording it but we already have 2 versions.. I don't see too much of a point. I would of been alot more happier if he would of said they are working on an album more like Ignition. But yeah, I want to hear this new version, but then again I would like them to do "LAPD" again more than I would "Dirty Magic".

Manic subsidal
02-08-2006, 09:54 PM
I sure hope so! No matter what, it should be better than the original because the recording quality is so much better now.

Yeah! It's going to be so much better, like beheaded '99 because that had better quality right? That's what counts right?

Drummerguy123
02-08-2006, 09:59 PM
i'm thinking that they have dirty magic on there because the songs might be themed on more intelligent ideas than previous albums

That is what I was anticipating from them the whole time!

Yeah! It's going to be so much better, like beheaded '99 because that had better quality right? That's what counts right?

I don't think so. I liked the original Beheaded more than the 99 version and like the original, slower Dirty Magic more. It seemed to just have a better feeling when it was slow. I hope they don't change it at all.

Manic subsidal
02-08-2006, 10:16 PM
I don't think so. I liked the original Beheaded more than the 99 version and like the original, slower Dirty Magic more. It seemed to just have a better feeling when it was slow. I hope they don't change it at all.

Yeah, I was being sarcastic. The originals always sound better. I actually hope this new dirty magic recording will sound a lot different because I don't know, I just have a bad feeling if they try to make it sound exactally like the original.

The acoustic version was pretty cool though.

Fall-children
02-08-2006, 10:17 PM
how do we know is re-recorded? source?

Drummerguy123
02-08-2006, 10:21 PM
Oh, I want it to sound different, I just don't want them straying too far from the formula. You know what I mean?

Drummerguy123
02-08-2006, 10:22 PM
how do we know is re-recorded? source?

-__-

look at Dexter's newest journal entry.

Fall-children
02-08-2006, 10:25 PM
-__-

look at Dexter's newest journal entry.

you look at it!!! kidding :p

ok i'll check...

endlesst0m
02-08-2006, 10:52 PM
Oh, I want it to sound different, I just don't want them straying too far from the formula. You know what I mean?

Eh, it can be kinda corny when a band "ruins" a song by releasing a different version of it that really sucks, but i think that it SHOULD be way different from the original formula. theres gotta be some reason they're recording it all over again, not just to make a version that sounds the same as the original.

Drummerguy123
02-08-2006, 10:55 PM
Eh, it can be kinda corny when a band "ruins" a song by releasing a different version of it that really sucks, but i think that it SHOULD be way different from the original formula. theres gotta be some reason they're recording it all over again, not just to make a version that sounds the same as the original.

Yeah, I know, but as I said before...

What i think they are trying to do is get one of their biggest underground hits and turn it into a mainstream hit. Obviously, it's 14 years too late to release the original Dirty magic as a single from Ignition, but if they re-do it and put it on a new cd, they will get that opportunity again.

Venom Symbiote
02-09-2006, 06:20 AM
Not to be nitpicky, but isn't "Dirty Magic" kind of the obvious choice for a re-recording? :( It's about the only thing pre-Smash they consistently play and seem to recognise as a part of their catalogue in their live act.

Personally I would have been so much more ecstatic over something like "Kick Him When He's Down", or even "Jennifer Lost the War" or something, wouldn't you? Oh well, I'll try not to bitch pettily. This news still rocks, hard.

And to the guy/girl who was theorizing the DM re-recording might be indicative of "more intelligent" songs coming out of the sessions for the new album...how do you figure? While "Dirty Magic" is without a doubt a classic, I can't see how it's exactly any more "intelligent" as such than their other material. I mean, it's a pretty straight-forward (if exceptionally-executed) ballad, is it not? A punk-rock ballad, if that makes any sense whatso-fucking-ever. It's a great song, but not like it's lyrics are challenging, or it carries some grand academic philosophical message or whatever. Half of the songs off Americana and Conspiracy were "smarter" in that respect.

More serious songs, do you perhaps mean? That I'd think might hold some ground. If they're taking a more straight-up less comedic route this time around, I'd be one happy bastard. But "serious" doesn't always equate to "intelligent". Songs like "Pretty Fly" take such a level of cleverness, in my opinion. Whereas any hack could write something like "Amazed", you know? (I love "Amazed", it's probably a bad example to use - I was referring to the 'serious theme' though, like...anyone can write a "serious" song about being pissed at the world and not being able to fight through another tedious day.)

Lithuanian Offspring
02-09-2006, 09:10 AM
DEXTER!!!!!! DO THE SAME THING AS WITH ORIGINAL PRANKSTER!!!!!!! ;) PUT IT ON THE WEBSITE!!!!! :cool:
SHUT THE FUCK UP!!! YOU LITTLE SHIT BAG!!!!!

Hux
02-10-2006, 04:26 AM
SHUT THE FUCK UP!!! YOU LITTLE SHIT BAG!!!!!
LMAO!

No offense though coenfloren, but fukn funny.

platinumpt
02-10-2006, 08:26 AM
he said they did it a year ago, so I doubt that.
They said they recorded it last year. It could be December, or January, we'll never know. That thread about the Glastonbury version of Dirty Magic is OLDER than December 2005, right?

F@ BANKZ
02-13-2006, 02:53 PM
They said they recorded it last year. It could be December, or January, we'll never know. That thread about the Glastonbury version of Dirty Magic is OLDER than December 2005, right?

dunn0 when don't really care THEY HAVE RE-RECORDED IT FOR !!!!!!!!!! SAKE.

Hux
02-13-2006, 08:21 PM
Twas Glastonbury 1995.